Viridos, Chapter 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Edelon forest, tan
lnhb-1.jpg

"..."

"..."

"..."​

Naya scratched her scalp and pursed her lips.

"That is .. about as clear as mud. What happened in the second part again?" They walked through the poisonous jungle. At night, the ground glowed faintly from below. Translucent fungus and fantastical insects fluttered through the air. The insects were almost as large as Naya, but their ghost forms seemed to hint at how insubstantial they were. They floated from branch to branch, wispy legs clinging to the gnarly, dark bark. The light from the creatures of the night was bright, but not powerful; there were many patches of absolute black in the forest, and they moved more between spots of blue-purple light, most of their time in the dark.

83.jpg

"Aaagh!" Like many of the Green Realm, Naya found meaning in everything: signs, omens, dreams - they were all portents to insight or the future. Wakefulness and dreaming were one and the same in the poisoned forest; the challenge was merging what was separated by the day and night. Many spent their entire lives trying to unite the two, to ascend to a state of dreamtime where all was one. Kairos was the lone forest-kin who had for certain achieved such enlightenment.

"The tree ... " She tried twirled her hair aux around her fingers (actually, she twirled the air, but her aux responded expertly). "That sounds like the great Riven tree."

"And the path ... " Naya was no good at this. When she closed her eyes she did not see into herself, but felt the heat and sparks of her forge. Her shoulders slumped in defeat.

"I suppose you will walk the path of evil, for good?" She shivered, and reached into a pocket to show Ash the piece of wood they had chipped from Lapin's quarters.

"Any ideas?"

^
< O >
v

Kairos,

See the forest,

Know not the poison,

See the children?

Kairos,

(The Jade Prophet screams, and tries to dig his fingers into his head)

Sunne,

(He presses so hard against the skull that his fingers draw blood)

Please,

(Please what, mother? He pleads.)
(He wades through the black, pitch-like ichor, splashing black onto black. He is flaccid now, but still desperately seeks her.)

(Ilium sounds uncharacteristically irritated. Vengeful, even)

Disgusting interlopers!

(The ichor is blown away in waves of irisdescent light)

Kairosbleed_zps39fc2a2f.jpg

Last edited:
Dinner was an awkward affair. With Medwick staring off into his bowl as though he was considering drowning in it, it was left up to Shardis and Caoimhe to fill Aerie in on why their return to this floating death trap was cause for alarm.

"What did you do? Try and grab his balls?!" To say the least their nearly returned member was neither impressed nor surprised at the outcome but it provided several minutes of lively conversation between her and Shardis. To her credit Caoimhe stayed out of the conversation her attention drawn away by something that was nagging just at the edge of her hearing, something that she wasn't even positive she was really hearing. And while fellowship was in short supply their group was soon given over to private brooding each occupied with their own thoughts. Even Aerie, who usually only dabbled in sarcastic repose, was letting her mind drift off to tackle heavier thoughts.

With lively conversation failing them all it was not long before they all headed to their rooms. The items that they were willing to barter were becoming fewer in number and so only two rooms had been booked. The loving siblings in one and Aerie and Caoimhe in the other. Thankfully while the rooms were cozy there were two mattresses provided, true they were stuff with what felt and smelled like dried reeds and grasses, but it was better than sleeping outside. Not to mention there were thin nets hung from the ceiling that surrounded the beds, mercifully protecting them from the nightly onslaught of bugs that seemed more determined than ever to drain them of all fluid. The silence from dinner lingered on and Aerie and Caoimhe got ready for bed in silence, only breaking it twice. Once when they heard a heated argument from next door and exchanged a few low snorts of laughter, and again just before they blew out the lamp and retreated to their own beds.

Caoimhe waited long after Aerie's breathing had evened out to that of a sleepers before she sat up. Reaching over she raised the netting just high enough so that she could pull her bag underneath and alongside her bed. Opening the top she carefully lifted the egg from it's nest of furs, grasses, and thermal gems. Once the egg was safely nestled against her chest with her arms encircling it, one cheek pressed against the smooth surface she closed her eyes in readiness for sleep.

Chree...

All at once Caoimhe tensed, her heart leaping wildly in her chest, and her eyes snapping open. In one terrifying moment she realized exactly what was happening and not for the first time she wished that she had Glyph back. By finding the egg on his own Grandfather had taken away the pressures of telling someone and at the same time had provided her with knowledge of the child that was soon to be born. But her was gone and she would soon have to face the fact that she could not hide a young dragon away in her pack forever.

"Tomorrow." she said drumming her fingers nervously against the spot where her Aux appeared to hang in a nervous gesture. Almost jumping as Aerie stirred next to her Caoimhe lay back down, her grip even tighter around the egg than it had been a few moments. It would be a long while before sleep claimed her and the time spent sleeping was shortened more as she woke well before dawn. Packing her child away before Aerie woke.

______________________________________________________________________________________​

"Medwick?" Caoimhe ventured again as they dodged through the narrow alleyways as fast as they could manage in the thick crowd.

"Can't it wait until we reach the boat!?" Medwick snapped. Fed up with the way the usually steady wildling was sulking around like she had done something bad. For a moment Caoimhe looked as though she was going to say something more, pursue the subject, but instead she just nodded before falling to the back of the pack casting nervous glances over her shoulder as she did so. Looking as though she feared and expected to see someone standing behind her with their hand in her bag.

"When we get-"

"Hello." A familiar silky voice greeted them as they rounded a corner and found themselves face to face with Teadoir and a dozen or so of his men. Looking down Medwick eyes traced a path from the hilt of the Kingpin's sword to the point where it rested against his chest. Shardis growled low but was blocked by the business end of two pikes one watching her from the front, the other from behind. And once again Caoimhe found herself staring a man down over a crossbow bolt. Only Aerie was in for something new, finding herself being guarded by a crossbowman and a nocturne wielding a pike.

"I am so glad you decided to come back. I was, disappointed that we were not able to finish our last conversation." Teadoir said, raising his sword an inch, the fabric of Medwick's shirt catching a bit on the deadly tip. For once Medwick seemed at a loss for words, all he could think was that he was getting everyone killed, again, only this time there wasn't an freak aviary flood to save them.

"It is a pity it had to go this way. It's just you are bad business." With an almost sorry smile Teadoir leveled the saber off again and brought his hand back in preparation to end all of this trouble.

"WHAT IF I COULD MAKE IT GOOD BUISNESS?" Medwick blurted out, his words tumbling out in a rush as an idea began forming. There was a long moment of silence before Teadoir slowly brought his sword forward, the point resting in the hollow of Medwick's throat.

"Now what could you possibly offer me?" He asked first looking Medwick up and down before turning his gaze to measure Shardis, Caoimhe, and Aerie a poisonous smile creeping across his face. "I don't deal in people, although..." he paused to give Aerie a thorough looking over. "I do know someone who does."

"Something of greater value in these uncertain times." Medwick said his voice returned and at least the appearance of confidence as well. These words got Teadoir's attention and for the first time he lowered his sword, although he gave no signal for his men to do then same. Taking that as a good sign Medwick continued.

"Dongrad steel, enough to fetch a fair profit if sold to the right people." Medwick said his tone firm and business like. A catlike grin split the merchant's face as he thought. Steel was hard to come by in the wild forests during normal times but now, with the military rallying the demand had only gone up.

"Steel for your lives..." Teadoir pondered aloud, eyeing his blade in a longing sort of way. With great care he raised it until the razor edge was resting against Medwick's chin. With a sudden jerk upwards he flicked the sword away, the feeling of cold metal scrapping across flesh causing Medwick to jump slightly.

"I am not unreasonable. All I needed was what due to me and this whole thing could have been avoided." He said as he sheathed his sword. The walk down to the boat was tense to say the least. And for a moment the party thought that their Captain might sail away without them when he saw who was accompanying them to the gangplank. Aerie went aboard first, then Caoimhe, and finally Shardis, although the feline stayed perched at the very top waiting as Medwick handed over the deed to the steel, ready to pounce if Teadoir suddenly went back on his word. Not fast enough business was concluded and Medwick raced aboard the ship his face drawn white from the ordeal that they had just been put through. Looking around he opened his mouth as though meaning to address the whole party when he noticed that Caoimhe had already retreated to the lower deck. Shaking his head at the girl's sensitive stomach he turned his attention to the other two, there was some things they had to discuss before they disembarked again.

What they didn't know was that while Medwick had been making the final deal with Teadoir, Caoimhe had heard the smallest of cracks followed by a louder chirp than the one she had heard last night. Telling her companions could wait for the time being, she would attend to the egg first.

The Southern Shores, green
"Deal, then." Medwick stood at the bottom of the ramp to the ship and faced Teadoir. The little furry creature wobbled at the Drug Minister's feet.

"It is a fair price." Hakim examined his fingernails. "Of course, given the recent port closure by our most protecting General Tattersal, one would have to wonder how you managed to acquire the deeds to such a shipment."

The Pegulis Sage did not say anything. When dealing with cut throats, idle conversation did no one any favours. He did not ask why a theocratic nation wanted steel that was best for forging into machines of war. He did not ask why the herbal minister, who was affected by the port closure, was willing to trade revenge for something that a certain "tattersal" wanted. He simply kept his mouth shut and waited.

"Sage Medwick, my initial impression of you was one of a fool who had stumbled into our country with lies and luck. But I see that you are now a connected man." Teadoir clapped Medwick on the shoulder. "The next time you are in our ports with more goods to trade, seek me out."

"But dress properly next time." Medwick extended a hand as Teadoir assumed a mudra of parting. They looked at each other for a moment before they each turned around and went their separate ways.

"Well done, team."

"Well done, me."

Medwick slumped against the railing, shaking from the comedown as the ship stuttered, mooring ropes loosened from the port and reeled back in. The ship had disgorged its last shipment of timber from the northern Viridos forests, and with the recent port closure, was now an idle vessel. The Captain of the Sundel caravel was thus amenable to the idea of trading conveyance for more information on the purple dye.

A few hours into their travels, with a strong easterly trade wind filling out their sails, potholes in the ocean appeared. The sea water poured into some, and poured out of others. A wholly unexplored land, unfrequented by ships, and a death trap from where explorers sailed into and never returned. The setting sun painted a dream-like landscape.

"We are going to drop you off soon, and you're free to hail for us with a courier whenever you're done."

"What?" Medwick stared at the captain in surprise. "The coast is right there. Right there. You can follow it for another day or ..."

"Do you see that ship over there, Sage? That ship has been there for the past year, moored at a perfect interstice between the flowing currents. Every ship that has passed this close for the past year has watched its inhabitants wither and die on their prison."

"..."

"Cheer up, lad! You do good business (was that the herbal minister?). We'll come pick you up when you're doing studying the ... plants ... down here."

Ocean_of_Tanra_by_Zilverbergelf.jpg

Reactions: lynzy and E.T.
Edelon

The hearing chamber was not a room in any traditional architectural sense; it was more of a small clearing between a ring of immense, old trees. The trees had long left life near the ground - they must have been a thousand years old. The massive trunks stretched high into the canopy, so high that they seemed to merge right above Tattersal, who stood in the center. As the trees grew, they also seemed to pull their own roots out of the water, forming giant buttressed structures where the Cinnabar Clad could sit. Now, only three occupied this disproportionately large clearing: Om the Invader, Kama the Beloved, and Tattersal. By Ilium's trick, a single beam of sunlight dimly illuminated the general, highlighting motes of dust and small, ethereal insects that darted in and out of the sun on their own business.

Om the Invader cleared his throat. Like all other forest-kin, he appeared to be uncannily humanoid, but seemed to function differently from the humans which populated all three corners of Sunne. His base material also made it all the stranger; hydraroot with light sensitive pods endlessly flicked from his head. When Om spoke, he often addressed people that his mouth was not facing, and so gave the impression of an observer who could see all around him. His way of sensing the world would have baffled a Pegulis scholar for an entire lifetime.

The hydraroot dripped caustic fluid, sliding harmlessly off the self protective mucous on Om's body.

"Tattersal. We are both most curious about your actions, many days ago, when Amaltas was ... allowed to escape."

If Om was an example of an inhuman forest-kin, Tattersal was almost indistinguishable from a human. Only the green tint of his skin gave him away, and the creak of oak in his joints when he moved, a noise that beckoned the listener to think of truly ancient, worn structures moving in the brisk Prosperos trade winds. Like a tree, and a good soldier, Tattersal remained perfectly still within the sunbeam.

"Allowed?" A forest of oaks rumbled in his voice. "Perhaps we see the situation differently, Kindly Om. Amaltas already dispatched of all the Kindly Ones in the room. If we did not make it our priority to protect you, then you may have been next."

Om ran an agitated hand down a hydraroot tendril. "The soothsayers who placed the shackles on Amaltas were under your command, general. I find it very strange how Amaltas was able to sever them so easily."

Tattersal's laughter was rich with amusement and a nearly undetectable hint of derision. "Let me question the abilities of my spell speakers, not you, Kindly Om."

The hydraroots spat acid. "And let me remind YOU, Tattersal, that I am still not in agreement with your reinstatement as ..."

"Om." Tattersal's voice was flat, and he dropped the Clad's honorific. "I was killing Kaustrian spies and quenching poison in our jungles when you were merely a single tendril sprouting from the Riven Tree."

The silence was heavy.

"This is not the discussion we should be having right now." Tattersal and Om continued to eye each other, but Om relaxed back into the nook of the roots and seemed to lose interest in the discussion. Tattersal turned his attention to Kama.

The Beloved was a delightful creature to behold. Bound between a fawn and human, Kama seemed to draw attention from all near her. Her eyes were wide and doe-like, and she smiled ever so gently, a creature that made all want to be nurtured by her. It was no surprise that she had mothered many forest-kin in the Viridos jungles, and her belly was considered blessed by Kairos.

"We are concerned with certain sightings near Hosia as of late. Our merchants complain that their beasts of burden have been trampled. Horses have been seen savaging the locals." She dragged a finger slowly, coyly, up the root she was sitting on, her legs crossed and hiding. "The forest speaks of discontent. I feel their patterns arranging to move beyond your schemes, Tattersal."

"No schemes, Clad Kama." Tattersal returned his eyes to Om, who rested his chin on hand and appeared to be looking off into the forest.

"I have seen the smoke rise from the Eastern Desert. Once I vet our merchants, we can reopen the port." He did not mention that the iron, the Dorgrad iron, was an essential component the Kindly Ones.

It would be a most difficult and delicate maneuver.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Wolfsin and lynzy
"Western boundary currents generally have a non-symmetric surface current, in that the eastern equatorward-flowing branch is broad and diffuse whereas the western poleward flowing branch is very narrow, it's just basic fluid dynamics people." Shardis said as she looked up from the maps to two stunned faces and one angry brother pacing in the background.

The cat-woman might as well have been speaking in a foreign tongue, she realized as she clenched her fists and sighed. "It means that the currents will probably be different here than up North and the under-currents are terrifying, to say the least."

Again she looked up at them and was tempted to smack the looks off their faces.
"Come on! Just because I studied the stuff in my spare time when between missions doesn't mean I am speaking gibberish! Look, The Monsters of Myths and Legends are known to be here..." She paused to point at a place on the map. "...and the whirl pools of destruction are here...that means the shores of the Deadlands should be right about heeerree..."

Doing something with a tool and a bit of wood char, Shardis estimated where they needed to go and then pointed out exactly where they were. The two women standing over her still looked a bit confused but the lights were starting to come on upstairs."What the hells! We have to go through that?!? You must be mad!" The avian swept the map to the floor and stalked off to the cabin door and stood sulking by it, trying to decide if she should leave or stay.

The wolf-girl didn't seem as perturbed but something about the distracted look she had about her was bothering Shar. She was about to make mention of it when Medwick picked up the map and instrument and placed them neatly back on the small table then said, "Your sure about your math? Even the smallest mistake and you could be off by leagues you know." He gave her a heavy stare which infuriated her and she responded with one of her own and said, "I've gone over it five times now, the last being in front of you just now, as if you were really paying attention..." She said the last under her breath as she stood up and moved from behind the table. "If you don't believe me, do the math yourself!" She knew full well he wouldn't since she had always been the best at it and he knew she was right, she could see it in his face as his shoulders drooped.

Just then a blue dart flew into the room and landed on Shardis' shoulder.
"Hello," Tandara said as she settled to her favorite stance on the cat's neck and shoulder. She looked at the maps with interest and said, "It's the birthing season you know. Would be best to wait a while before trying to enter that place." She nodded her head towards the place of monsters. "They will be fierce in defense of their young." The tiny dragon preened her iridescent wings as indifference to the information she gave and the response it invoked.

Shardis put her head in her hand,
"Yes, and there's that too as well as it's the high tides of the season too." The cat-girl shook her head in her hand then pulled up out of it with an intake of breath, "The Gods seam to be spitting in our faces these days don't they?"

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Wolfsin
"Come in." Belphebe said quickly scrawling her signature at the end of the piece of parchment lying in front of her. As the door opened she rolled up the letter and melting a bit of wax upon the edge she used a silver stamp to mark order as her own, finally looking up she placed the scroll on top of the pile sitting on the far left of her desk. Sharp eyes examined the young girl standing before her, taking in the feathered wings and short cropped hair.

"You must be the artist I am commissioning." She said after a long while her eyes resting for a brief moment on the palette held in her hand. Of course there was the possibility that the girl was here for a very different kind of employment but why not give the young thing the benefit of the doubt.

"Yes ma'am." The girl replied and Belphebe nodded as though pleased with the answer.

"Come I will show you where you will be working." Belphebe said raising up from behind her desk accompanied by the harsh rasp of scales on wood. Back through the maze of hallways they moved however instead of turning towards the front door they took a turn so that they moved along the main hallway in the left wing of the building. About halfway down Belphebe was once again greeted by that roughhewn patch of wall that was beginning to irk her so.

"I want you to paint the scene from the story of Fellera and Teron. Where both are running through the hills Fellera fleeing because she sold her eyes and believes a monster chances her, Teron chasing Fellera to try and catch his love and unable to call to her because he sold his voice." Belphebe contemplated the wall for a long time, long nails thoughtfully rubbing her scaly chin. She did not feel the need to explain any farther, if the girl did a good job she would be rewarded handsomely, if not, well. If not she could always higher another artist.

"Now if you have any further questions you should ask Gern. My girls and clients will leave you alone unless you wish to be bothered." There was a sly hint in her voice at the end of the sentence as she waved a hand and once again the nocturne man appeared giving the girl a piercing look before giving a tiny bow. With that Belphebe began to slither away, there was business to be attended to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

"Now give these letters to my contact and stick to the route." She said handing the scrolls of parchment to the three merchant captains lined up in front of her. Her offer had spread quickly and after looking over the volunteers she had chosen these three. With their hulls filled partially and a cut of the profits promised upon a timely return the Captains' nodded and accepted the notes with eager smiles before embarking on their different vessels and giving the call to shove off. Night had fallen and Ilium had blessed her with a light fog, not enough to truly obscure someone's vision but enough that it would leave doubt in those navy sailor's hearts. For a long while she watched the ships depart, something that could have almost been called hope rising in her chest.

"Madam we are ready." Came a voice at her shoulder and Belphebe turned to see one of her guards standing at attention, one arm outstretched to help her into a waiting boat. With a small nod she coiled and uncoiled her body, carefully slipping onto the rocking boat frowning as it swayed under her unsteady movements. When she was finally aboard the guard jumped in as well and gave word to the captain. The old otter Anima gave a nod and expertly directed the craft away from the dock and into deeper water. Though there was a thin fog surrounding them the ride was smooth enough, in the distance the lights from the floating city could be seen hanging hazily in the air and hushed voices could be heard echoing across the water. However as they moved away from the city the forest appeared to be no less bright and no less noisey with bioluminescence dancing around the trees and the calls of the forest residents filling the air. Somewhere among the trees some of her men waited guarding a hidden shipment of a drug called Purple Randsom.

Even with Teadoir's assurances she had not felt comfortable with having the cargo moved through the main city instead hiding it in the forest itself waiting for a time it could be shipped. It had seemed that she would be forced to sell to the general Hosia populace but now with the new routes springing up it appeared that she would be able to ship her merchandise to a more profitable market. Now all that remained was to collect the cargo and prepare it for shipping.

Eventually her guard signaled the boatman and the small craft was directed to shore where it bumped against the thick moss growing there with hardly a sound. While Belphebe disembarked and looked around the guard slipped the man a coin and made a mundra of waiting, one hand out with palm facing down, opposing foot in a relaxed position with only the toe touching the ground and his other foot planted firmly against the ground. The anima made a mundra of understanding and leaned against the rudder of the boat. Belphebe led the way down a well disguised path that led deeper into the brush, the guard keeping close behind but mindful not to tred on his mistress's tail. After a minute of walking they reached a small clearer that appeared to have seen a fair bit of use in the past few days. Rocks had been set in a circle and glass lamps filled with brightly glowing bugs glittered from where they had been placed within the surrounding tree's branches. Everything looked much like it had the last time she had been here the only difference was that last time she was here there had been people. Indeed the little clearing was eerily quiet, the voices of the forest particularly distant. Something on the ground caught the guard's eye and he moved to the edge of the clearing to investigate. Bending down he touched his fingers to the soft hed of moss and when he lifted his hand away the tips of his fingers were stained crimson. Looking at Belphebe the guard saw the look of dreadful realization dawning there. And not all that far away the boatman that had brought them here failed to notice the v shaped ripple that cut through the water towards the boat.

Rasp rasp rasp. From the moment she had entered Caoimhe had been accompanied by the sound of her teeth grinding against one another her mind only partly occupied by what Shardis was trying to tell them. Only at Aerie's out burst was she drawn away from her thoughts to the current here and now.

The crack may not have been loud but a mother learns to listen for those sounds she fears the most. Back stiffening she descended to the lower decks a low grumble emanating from her throat as she searched for a den. They hammocks they had used before had been left untouched and without a second thought she grabbed the blanket from her own before continuing on. Down she went to where there was little light to speak of and even fewer people, down among the cargo where there was not even enough room for one to stand up straight. There in a crack she choose her spot, laying down her blanket and tenderly removing the egg from her bag. Before settling down she gathered what was not tied down and used it to close herself in the crack, the only light coming dimly from a single lamp tied to a post. in the middle of the hold.

Stepping forward Caoimhe laid a gentle hand on Aerie's shoulder a small smile trying to temper her fiery friend. However she ended up looking even more guilty than she had before. Turning her attention back to Shardis she could see the narrowing of the Leopard's eyes, could feel the question coming and she steeled herself for it.

In the dim light she could see a section of shell buckle outwards where the dragon inside forced his little nose against it. Each pause between his struggles made her heart stop as she leaned inwards forehead brushing the smooth shell as she breathed in time with the child. As chunks of shell started to fall away she could hear it's calls more clearly and she began calling back. No words, at least not any from a human's perspective, just low hums, chirps, and whines. And it made her heart swell when she heard that quiet voice calling back. Lying on her side with her upper body propped up on her elbow she kept her legs circled inwards the egg nestled in blankets and protected by her own body.

Caoimhe almost visibly sagged when Medwick cut in, grabbing the map and staring at it with a fixed concentration. Several times she opened her mouth in an attempt to interject her own point but there seemed to coming between Shardis and Medwick and she paled when she heard Aux's words. Swallowing hard she broke the silence after Shardis finished talking.

"There is something else..." all eyes turned to her and she fidgeted with the sleeve of her shirt unable to meet any of their gazes. She opened her mouth, closed it, opened it again, and then closed it with a swallow. Unable to think of a better answer she turned and started towards the door. "I have to show you."

For the time being she ignored the confused expressions and the questions that plagued her all the way down to the hold. As they went along the other three grew more and more annoyed with the wildling's sudden refusal to answer their questions. And the guilty expression that she wore all the way down was not helping to disapate their concerns. Down, down they traveled, right into the belly of the ship. That feeling that maybe she merely wanted a private place to talk would turn out to be only half right, she wanted a private spot but it was not really to talk. Off in a secluded corner she finally stopped causing grumbles as the other three tried their best to find a comfortable postition with the extremely limited head room. Pushing aside a few stray boxes that appeared to have been haphazardly piled up she dropped to her knees and crawled inside the small entrance that was relieved. The other three exchanged looks and with a shrug Shardis crouched down and start forward, intending to follow Caoimhe, however she was stopped by a dangerous growl. More looks were exchanged, as the others wondered what exactly was eating at their companion, before they once again gazed at Caoimhe as she slowly backed out of the den. Her shirt was pulled up above her gut and one arm appeared to be cradling something in the fabric while she used the other to navigate the tight squeeze. When she finally turned around they were able to finally see the secret that she had been harboring since they had started this adventure.

She saw the eyes first. Glinting charcoal black as they briefly reflected the lamp light before the shadowed shape twisted in the egg, obscuring Caoimhe's line of sight. Lowering her head she made a soft chuffing sound, encouraging the child who was so nearly free of the wall that had been it's home, bed, and protection since it had been brought into this world.

Chree. He sounded so tired, as she leaned in close enough to hear the panting coming from the hole only slightly smaller than her fist that over the past hour he had punched out of the shell. There was a sound almost like a sigh and with one last effort the child emerged head first from the egg. Throughout the process she had been reluctant to help aside from what encouragement she could offer. To survive the dragon would have to be strong and breaking out of its own egg was the first test of many that it would face. But now she could resist no longer and gently she placed her thumbs on the inside of the shell and pulled apart until the shell gave way and created an even bigger hole out of which the dragon could squeeze. Free of confinement the dragon lay still trying to regain the energy it had just spent breaking free giving his mother a chance to examine him.

Steel grey scales made up most of the dragon's body, with a strip of lighter colored scales running from his chin to the tip of his tail. Tiny horns no long thatn the tip of Caoimhe's pinky poked out of the top of his head and a pair of wings still to wet and papery to be opened lay folded along his back. As he may there he started to make small croak like calls, his head shifting from one side to the other as though he was attempting to get up but couldn't find the energy. Slowly and cautiously Caoimhe reached down and picked him up blanket and all, leaning back against the cargo boxes that pressed in on either side so that he was resting against her chest, his head lying on her shoulder. The fear that she had been fighting against from the moment she had heard him calling from the egg was pushed far into the back of her mind as she held the dracling, her dracling. The concerns were not completely gone, there was still the issue that she could no longer keep him hidden in her back pack, but she would delay just a little longer.

"Just a little longer." She said aloud closing her mind to the doubts and just watching as the small creature's side rose and fell in the steady rhythm of sleep.

Yes, yes the Gods are truly spitting in our faces... "Wha... what the fuck..." Shardis blinked finally and realized her mouth was hanging open and that she had been the one to utter the words. She snapped her mouth closed and shook her head as she started for the ladder up out of the hold then turned back and began to point at the wolf girl then again turned and chuffed and scrambled up the ladder as quick as lightning. All she new was that she had to get out of their before she literally bit the girl's head off and wrung the neck on that little lizard before it woke up.

"What the fuck had she been thinking?" Shardis said as she came out at last on deck and stood grabbing the rail.

"Excuse me sir, you're..uh..tearing the rail...ing...oh pardon..sir..uh..never mind." The crewman ran off before the angry cat man could share it's wrath.

"That's another thing can't any of you tell what a female leopard looks like?? God's fucking dam it!" Shar was fed up with being called sir. She didn't want to be called anything at all. She put her head down on her hands on the rail and there was a long quiet space and then a low growl started in her throat then build to a long rage filled roar that not only startled several sailors but brought the captain running.

"Are you alright sir?" As Shardis turned around to face the man any onlooker would have to give the man credit for not running away.

"I-AM-NOT-A-MAN!"
She shoved past him and stalked off to her bunk threw herself in it and rolled over to face the wall of the cabin.

• Love
Reactions: Silvir and E.T.
The southern golden coast, tan
The dracling sneezed. A small puff of black soot and brimstone shot from its nose, and it hung in the stale and cramped hold.

"So. That's ... a dragon right?" Aerie's wings were folded tight against her back. Even her blunt demeanor failed her. "A dragon. Thing. That can breath enough fire to roast this ship." Her wings twitched. She was beset by some ancestral instinct, an irresistible urge to take to the sky. The wooden planks in the hold closed on her, suffocating.

The stink of sulfur was not what made Medwick sneeze, causing the dracling to give an alarmed look around the hold, eyelids still shut from the birthing. No, he thought ahead, to another trek through the pollen filled Viridosian jungle, except this time they were actually going to smuggle something through - a relic of the Old War, a specter in the flesh from the past, a true champion of fire from the Kaustrian bone fields ... a weapon that the unscrupulous would not mind turning them into fish food for.

"It won't be a big deal. Just hide it properly."

Medwick sneezed again. He calmly ascended the stairs to the deck, found a spot on the ship opposite from Shardis, and leaned fell to his knees, vision blurry and chest heaving with hyperventilation.

Deep breaths.

Libras first. Dragon second.

The ship shuddered to a halt, tugging against the anchor dropped into the deep water. The crew was lowering a dinghy into the rainbow coloured waters, strong currents from the potholes sending the ocean water splashing against the side of the ship. The holes exuded and ingested the water, and steam poured from their depths.

There was no beach on the shore where they had moored. The rocky soil and scrubland disappeared into the dark as it met water. Even from where the boat sat, they looked down and saw it: a gigantic kelp forest that stretched up and down the coast. Brown and black tendrils waved slowly from the abyss, inviting them in. Medwick's stomach dropped. He was used to going up into the sky ... not down into oblivion. It was time to go diving.

shardsoflibra.jpg
A million footsteps and a million sunsets away, a certain bard had a mystic arrangement of shells laid on an extremely dirty wooden table. He shifted his weight on a stool that could not even creak anymore, as it was so soaked with rot and mold.

Damp string was drawn tight over the table with butterfly pins. A gnarly nail plucked the string, and though soggy it obliged with a smelly vibration, sending a fine mist of beer vapours into the air. In the center of the intricate and haphazard pattern, the small handful of shells also vibrated. The nail plucked the string a little stronger this time, and the largest one cracked, splitting down the middle.

"Aaah .. the egg thief's egg hatches." A dented and dull mug was raised to lips, leaving behind a froth stained moustache.

"Snake girl, watch out. They will now come for your own, destroy your home like you did theirs."

"The quandry is, little myydl ..."

"What do you call your home?"

"They will wait as long as it takes to find out."

A knock came at the cabin door and Shardis sighed, no rest for the weary of heart. She rose and gathered up their things bundling them neatly and expertly as always and threw them over her shoulder and exited the cabin. As she reached for the ladder up to the main deck Shar almost collided with Caoimhe coming up from bellow a hiss from the dracling from inside the bag because of the quick stop that startled it brought the cat woman's ears forward then down flat to her head as she said, "Pardon."

She showed no hint of emotion as she swung up to the main deck ahead of the wolf girl. When she reached the rail and Medwick, Who was looking rather pale, she handed the sailors there baggage and stood waiting for Galain to take the lead in this as he always did in everything. When he showed no signs of moving she hesitantly asked,
"Is everything alright?"

Caoimhe stepped up beside them and the feather brain showed on the other side.
"Well, what are we waiting on? Another floating island to fall on us?"

Hosia - Shekar Ma'alin, saddlebrown

Shekar was shaken. Her stomach rolled with fear and excitement as one. Her chest was tight with anxiety and something akin to awe. For the first time in a very long time she had been caught off guard. She wasn't sure if it was what she had seen, the manner in which she had been taken to see it, or something else entirely. What she had been told perhaps, or what it all had meant.

Zovalias – Zovalias had upheld his end of the bargain. For the first time in a very long time someone had surpassed her expectations. She had been impressed, she had been very impressed.

"For someone about to burst at the seams you seem more worried than happy." Nox grumped, his ghostly white form fluttering about the room as Shekar closed the door to her shop behind them.

"I am." She went behind the counter and pulled out a ledger, one scaly finger sliding over the pages as she ran the numbers in her head. Numbers relaxed her. Numbers were finite. Numbers always mean exactly what they showed.

"Think of the opportunity he's just handed you! Think of who you're about to play host to, all the potential client, the allies!"

"The enemies, the risk!" Shekar slammed her hand down on the counter causing several things to clink and rattle.

"I thought you always said a little risk in the right place was worth it?" the Aux's mouth twisted in a quizzical frown.

"Only when there is something to gain. The board is set before me with a hundred possible moves. Only one gets me where I need to be. The rest will get me killed."

Camping - Ayanne Marshden, green

Ayanne could only smile as Tamaa and Nassad complained about the bugs. The corner of her mouth twitching continuously upward as not one of the insects landed on her, or Malachi. She let them suffer a moment longer as she completed the healing of the Draken woman's wrist before she moved, her body tired and achy with the cost of the spell.

It took very little effort to cross around them to where she had left her pack near Malachi, including a little wooden bowel and a vile of pale pink liquid that had been left out from their use earlier, though she took extra effort to avoid the slaver. She didn't fear Nassad exactly, just what he might do. She filled the little bowl with fresh water from one of the skins and tapped in two tiny drops from the vial before taking in to Tamaa

"Here, spread this over your skin. It's a repelent. A little goes a long way. Share with your friend." She started to walk away then, but turned back, "As for how we survive here, we adapt." She did walk away then, setting down near Malachi, making sure he was between her and Nassad. This put Ayanne nearest to the opening of the hollow. She didn't mind though. This was her home, and after her time away from it she found the sounds of the forest soothing. The light faded quickly, and Ayanne found there was none of the bioluminescent life found closer to Hosia. She missed the familiar glow of the night crawlers as she dozed.

It was the change in the sounds that alerted her sometime later that something was wrong. She felt it one moment, heard the change the next, and a second later she had sat strait up from that muddled state between waking and sleeping to stretch a hand out for Malachi.

She fumbled for him in the dark, the soft glow from the dying embers of their camp fire just enough to find him by, and when she had grasped his shoulder Ayanne shook the pirate awake.

"Shhh, Listen!" She hissed over his protests, "Do you hear that?!"

images

In the foliage some ways outside the hollow, in the dark of the night, something moved.​

Reactions: unanun
All in all it went about as well as Caoimhe could have hoped. Perhaps the only thing that had surprised her had been Shardis's reactions, considering her spirit took the form of a dragon the new mother had been expecting a bit more sympathy from the feline. When it had not come she had instinctively wrapped the dracling closer to her body, watching Shardis with a defensive stance until she had left the hold. Aerie had seemed more stunned than anything but it turned out that it would be Medwick who surprised her the most. He had simply told her that she would have to hide the dragon properly before he just calmly left, Aerie close on his heel.

With the others gone she retreated back to her little den knowing that it would not be long before she would have to leave it. A wolf pup might not leave its den for weeks and yet she would be dragging her own out in the world even before it had yet to really open its eyes and learn to walk. Absentmindedly she wiped the soot stain from its nose with a corner of her sleeve. The touch caused the dracling to stir, and it made a soft whining noise as it yawned widely before burrowing its head closer to her chest settling back into an easy slumber.

They stayed like that until the boat was brought to a halt, whether she liked it or not this is where their journey had brought them and while they might be returning to the ship after they find what it is they had been searching for she felt no where near comfortable enough to trust leaving the baby onboard with just the crew. And truthfully whatever apprehension she felt was balanced by the relief in the fact that she was getting off of this ship. Unfortunently that meant getting onto an even smaller boat first.

Even with the promise of solid ground only a short ride away Caoihme was the last one down the ladder and until Aerie physically removed it she kept one hand clamped onto the bottom most rung on the ladder. The little boat was pushed this way and that by the currents flowing in and out of the sea holes making for an uncomfortable ride. Although to her credit Caoimhe managed to keep her lunch in her stomach. With a bump they reached shore allowing the group to disembark. While Medwick tied up the boat and the others either peered into the water or looked around the spot where they had moored Caoimhe set about searching for a suitable spot to lay her bag down.

In the end she chose to entrust her bag to a rock where time had weathered a small indent that was just out of sight of the boat, close enough to the water so that she could hear if the dragon called for her, and yet still far enough away so that she did not risk loosing her bag and her child to the water. Placing the bag down the sudden change in position caused the dracling to give a chirp of alarm which she gently quieted with comforting chatters of her own. With her charge settled in she turned her attention back to the water, approaching the drop off carefully. After a few moments deliberation she reached out and pawed at the water in a questioning sort of manner. It was not quite so warm as she remembered the Prosperous river being the last time they had taken a "dive" but the water was not unbearable either. Slowly she eased forward onto one of the rocky ledges that jutted out into the water her bare feet only just covered while her arms were submerged up to her elbows. Leaning forward until her nose was almost touching she gazed into the water, trying to see past the darkness and the swaying kelp.

• Love
Reactions: lynzy and unanun
There must have been some change, some time, or she have been gone already. At least this time, she was giving it some consideration. Granted, most of that consideration revolved around how far the tiny scaled furnace had to be to char her feathers from her wings, whether or not it could see her half as well as it could smell her. Whether it knew the word 'prey' yet, whether the fact that she, too, had once belonged to the sky meant anything at all.

Caoimhe would be alright. Her strange, skittish behavior made sense now. She had been that way since they met, never a dull moment and all, though Aerie supposed she'd be twice as insufferable, at least until the thing could eat on its own.

And how long would that take?

As for the others...she was mildly concerned Shardis might try to kill the beast, which would undoubtedly rile Caoimhe. Would Meryl even bother stepping in anymore? His single-minded focus -- which she supposed she understood, for better or worse -- didn't leave much room for sympathy or understand or the joys of motherhood/harem-ing. And with even a handful of dragon scales he could buy himself a new harem and a half before he made it back through the Greenlands.

So, why stay?

Salt water weighed heavy on her broken wing.

The list of reasons grew shorter.

Almost the whole ride over to the land, only a short bit away, she sat very still in the small boat and stared at her feet, this was totally unlike herself. Her mind was elsewhere, she was seeing the giant white dragon that they had all fought earlier that year and the devastation it could have wrought if they hadn't beaten it. Will it grow up to be like that? Shar wondered and also, would it kill us and eat us later on? Others in the past had tried to tame the mighty beasts and none had accomplished it...NONE. Now dragons were only valued for their parts. Like cattle, people could use every part of the body for something or other and they were worth more than gold itself.

Shar looked up at Caoimhe for a moment then away to the shore. And of the wolf-girl, how long would she be able to control its environment, the creature can't stay in her backpack forever. Once that ...that thing got out and became known everyone...EVERY ONE... would want it, try to tear it up, sell the parts on the black market. They were having problems now... but it was nothing compared to what it would be when the baby became known...

Shardis wrinkled her nose and growled deep in her throat, ears flattened as she sneezed in anxiety. Medwick, knowing his sister's emotions better than most gave her a worried look and she only shrugged it off and looked out at the water as the boat finally bumped up against the land. The cat-girl was the first to leap out and started dragging the boat ashore. She helped the others clamber out then gathered their packs. Well, they would deal with things as they came along...like they always did. She had decided, the baby was part of the group now, for better or worse and she would protect it like...well, like family.

At that moment a blue streak zoomed in and landed on her shoulder.
"It's about time you came around. If I didn't know better I would say you're getting old, you take so long to think things through these days." Shardis only mumbled and shooed the little aux off of her shoulder. She could hear it chuckling as it flew off again.

Reactions: Wolfsin and E.T.
Edelon outskirts, tan
lnhb-1.jpg

Ash pinched the fragment between forefinger and thumb, gazing at the circle in diamond. "None whatsoever." Naya scratched her scalp through her aux, frustrated.

"Oh!" Her ears perked and she cupped the symbol in her palm. "This will work!" She closed her eyes and hair writhed. Ash squinted into the soft glow that outlined her hair-aux. Though dim, it overwhelmed the fluorescent flashes that the giant stingrays left as they slowly swam through the thick jungle air in the canopy, and the blue-purple glow of nightlife.

"ARGH!" Naya's head snapped to the side and her hair flashed in and out, unsure if it should be existing or not. Blood trickled out of her ears and nose and she collapsed into Ash's arms. Cora emerged from the undertaker's chest in shock, reaching out for her hair. "Forgot ...

I already ... used ...

(she's already used her advent, Ash!)

my ad ... veeeeeeent." And she fell unconscious.

A twig stirred nearby. It was Yalpin. ("Danger, Ash!") The undertaker froze. Days, even years later, he would think back to this moment, and still have no answer for his actions. He reached deep into the heartwood of a great Sheng tree next to him, parting the bark and nestling Naya within. The wood rumbled shut just as Yalpin turned the corner, the circle from the lantern turning the spot Ash stood on into day, with bright green grass and dancing orange foxes.

"I felt a disturbance in the webs." Yalpin gave a terse mudra from the hands that gripped his scythe.

Ash smoothly lied, drawing from deception that ran to a depth that surprised him. "The Grevious has reached out strongly from the court, Kindly One. The heartwood will take a long time to purify the ones I bury."

Yalpin moved to the Sheng, hands reaching out to stroke the bark. "We lay much of our burdens on our progenitors. Why are we unable to shoulder it ourselves? As our distance from Ilium increases, our powers fade. We are losing our connection with Sunne, Undertaker."

Ash remained still.

"What would you do if there was a chance to regain it, Undertaker? Would you take the chance, to become closer to the Clad once again?"

Southern Prosperos, green
Shardis had gotten them to the approximate spot. From here on out, they were blind. They knew that the whales followed the currents of the Prosperos, that they swam along the cold, nutrient rich currents as they pulled up nutrients from the sea bed and mixed them into vortexes of green algae on the surface. They would come to this area to feed and nurse, hiding their young in the deep kelp forests.

Medwick sat on a rock, arms crossed and lips pursed.

"See these?" Ethel used an obsidian scalpel to score the whale's belly. A dead, half formed fetus slopped around inside. Medwick recoiled as the stench hit him, while Ethel, for all her childlike beauty and energy, was completely unperturbed.

The fetus never would have made it. Its mouth was frozen open in rictus, framed with metal teeth. A shard had reached through its belly and cut the umbilical cord. Perhaps its death in womb had contributed to the demise of the mother. Ethel reached in, withdrew a cup of the amniotic fluid, and dripped in rhodanide. The cup turned blood red. "Iron."

"Iron." Caiomhe had long abandoned her search and was instead nuzzling the surface of the water with her nose, trying to smell it out. She started and looked behind her.

"Look for some kelp that is more red than the others." Medwick moved to the edge of the underwater cliff and gazed below. The wolf girl strained her eyes, redoubling her efforts. After searching for what seemed like hours, she thought that she saw something. The faint sparkling gave it away. It winked red and blue as the waving kelp hid and revealed it. Water moved in iron rich and out iron free, the metal fluttering out in small, reflective shavings that fell to the cliff floor and enriched the kelp around it.

Shards of Libras ...

"Libras' Sphere." Medwick poked an eyeglass through the water and gestured for the rest of them to have a look.

libras.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: E.T.
Snorting the rest of the salt water out of her nose Caoimhe moved behind Medwick, peeking over his shoulder as he gazed eagerly through the eyeglass. She had only seen a subtle winking through the tall strands of kelp, like the glinting of a fish's hide. But this had been to still to be any fish, stationary even as the waver and weed waved around it. After a few moments Medwick leaned away from the lens and then off to the side allowing the wildling to level her eye to the cylinder and gave down into the murky water.

The Sphere had long wedged itself onto a small shelf that protruded out from a under water mountain who's peak reached only thirty feet below the surface of the water but who's base extended far beyond what they could see. Like a giant who had gorged itself on blood there was a large red stain of iron that spilled over the edge of the shelf and down one of the mountain faces. The constant current provided a constant source of iron and the shavings fluttering down to join the proceeding shavings in the ever growing pile. But perhaps what most striking was the ledge itself. Long left in contact with the Sphere the rock had been changed, turned to obsidian so black it was like a someone had pulled a starless night down from the sky and wrapped it on top of the rock. And laced throughout the black were veins of gold that almost appeared to glow they were in such stark contrast to the surrounding rock. And perhaps even stranger was that while all the surrounding rock that had not yet been effected bore a layer of weed or some kind of green algae the rock of the ledge was completely bare.

Feeling Shardis and Aerie drawing in close to have a look she moved out of the way but continued to peer into the water, head tilted off to the side as her eyes occasionally caught a brief glint of light reflecting off the Sphere's surface. As the others looked she considered how the others were going to manage to get the thing to the surface. In her own mind she had been holding onto the idea that the others would think of something and she could stay on their stretch of coast and keep a look out for trouble. That is until she really started to work the problem over in her mind. Shardis was not a good swimmer, if the last time she, Caoimhe, and Medwick had been tossed into the water was anything to go by, Medwick could probably manage but Caoimhe never quite trusted that weak leg of his, and Aerie as it had been established many times did not like the water and with an injured wing Caoimhe assumed she would be even more reluctant to go for a swim.

Hearing a soft whine of discomfort Medwick glanced up to see Caoimhe sitting at the water's edge, head hanging between her shoulders, expression none to excited. They were so close, so very close. Within sight was the object that they had fought to obtain and yet now Caoimhe was filled with reluctance, this prize was not something she could understand, not something that she truly wanted, what use would she have for a rock when she would gladly trade for its weight in food and provisions. But she quickly came to realize that they were not going to be leaving until that sphere was in their possession. With another reluctant whine she began pulling off her outer most layers of clothing. Given that she had given up her heavy furs and layered fabrics for the lighter more airy Viridos styled clothing she only needed to pull off a single layer from above and below before she was down to a thread bare slip and dark grey shorts. Slowly and carefully she lowered herself into the water, wincing briefly at the cold as she adjusted to the temperature, hanging onto the rocky edge so that she would not be pulled away.

"Are we?" She asked cautiously glancing from the other three to the darker water below. A shiver passed up her spine as long tendrils of kelp wrapped and unwrapped around her legs.

The Fall, #EE9A4D
Did it ever end, this constant travelling ? Could it be her curse to jog from one end of Viridos to the other, in hopes to find the Lost Coin, the resources and the means to pursue a grander journey? Thus far, it sure seemed like the Fates were leading in her circles. She was like a dog chasing it's tail. For one reason or another, Chytrhea couldn't ever quite catch it now, no matter how fast she turned. Her targets were always one step ahead and she, two steps behind. What a vicious circle.

It was nice to be above the water once more, after being confined to the deck for the past two days. Chytrhea was beating her wings against the wind, savouring the ache in her muscles as much as she normally would savour the crisp air being forced into her lungs. The events of the past day frighten as much as they thrilled her, causing her to alternate between nose dives towards the water in which she broke off at the last
moment, with only her toes scrapping the water, or sometimes her fingers if she was feeling wistful and sharp, wing tucked rolls through the air, that left her mind dizzy and frazzled as much as her senses.

Tucking her arms close, Chytrhea begun to strain against a sharp downdraft, fighting to regain the altitude lost by her last dive. Just when her muscles begun to tremble and a sweat broke out across her body, she found a break in the current and begun climbing powerfully, bringing her wings so far forward that they nearly touch tip above her head and thrusting them back with such power that she shot through the air for an instant like a loosed arrow, with her wings nearly straight back. Within a matter of flaps, Chytrhea had reclaimed her cruising altitude. With a quiet sigh, she leaned back just enough for the wind to catch her and turn her about.

" Ow! Shoulders are still sore..."

The sun was finally setting, and she was flying into it, closing her eyes against the glare and letting other senses to take over. The sky got claimed by her. Her Sky. True, her thoughts should not have been so cocky, but nothing she had come across or seen in these endless skies, had made a decent challenge to her yet. She might as well have called the sky "Hers" at the moment.

Therefore, smiling, Chytrhea stilled her wings completely letting her- heavier than air - body, beginning to sink on the current causing her to drift in a wide arc around a close by ship. Turning to a total new angle, Chytrhea let her wings to take her pass the ship, where at not a far distance, land was in sight. Some instinct within her knew that if she were to ride this wind current, her destination would be closer than before.
Only if everything would be on her side, even for once.

It was as if she had the curse from the Gods.

The sudden change into the whether stream, made Chytrhea to frown slightly, feeling even her own pulse rising up higher within her veins.

Until, lighting struck, ripping a white tear in the darker sky; seconds later, thunder clapped, then rolled by rumbling sluggishly through the air. Suddenly, the forceful wind and the heavy rain slashed at Chytrhea's body, as she struggled to fly through the storm, tossing her about like an dead animal being shaken by a murderous monster.

The angry storm would not easily give her rest. Her powerful wings pushed as hard as possible, fighting against the rain and wind that seemed determined to ground her.
What a misfortune. Was she bound to such a curse? Unlucky for sure. Damn it.

Another wave of heavy rain caused Chytrhea to loose altitude, the water weighting down more her body, soon she would be forced to land. She had no choice. Before she could even finish her thoughts, the wind once again changed it's course, strongly pushing her into midair, until her wings had given up due the heavy water soaking into the feathers and the fall had become inevitable.

Chytrhea remembered only closing her eyes, sensing her own heart beating faster, while her body emerged into a downdraft position. The powerful wind, sending her across the river, with her feet scrapping at a few tree branches, before a big Thud echoed loudly.

This fall indeed has been unpleasant, hurtful just after Chytrhea had rolled to the ground a few times and stopped finally when her back had hit a tree.

THUD! THUD! BAM!

Then everything went silent. The sound of the rain filled the air, with the big drops hitting nervously the ground.

The land of Edelon.

"A chance?"

"Yes, Undertaker, a chance." Yalpin gave Ash a sad smile, turning away before he could see the black tendrils in his eyes. The latern in the Kindly One's hand flashed around, the beam scattering wildly. The circle passed over a wandering nocturnal stingray, and when it left the spot it was gone, ectoplasm sliding down a nearby Sheng tree's bark.

Ash continued to plumb the depths of his newfound dishonesty. Cora stirred in his chest, red heat opposing, yet acknowledging the necessity. "Kindly Yalpin," the Nocturne turned to face him, pupils vertical slits, "I speak from my limited understanding of our sacred texts. It seems that Ilium has a plan for all of us, that she communicates through her Prophet. Although we struggle, we do not struggle in vain; our forests and jungles are healing and we are seeing the ancients return to life with vigor. Perhaps it is my fate to split into a deer, and return to the Riven tree from whence I came, after my duty is finished. Perhaps when we are finished, we will not need such powers."

Silence hung between the two.

"I wish that I could see where you draw your strength from, Undertaker."

Yalpin flashed a mudra of parting and gripped his scythe, lantern shining daylight into the forest as the Kindly One disappeared, returning to his patrol.

Ash held still for an uncertain amount of time until Cora knocked him free from his reverie. He reached into the heartwood and found Naya, blood still trickling from her ears and nose. He would have to find a spiritual healer. And perhaps evade the witch hunters that the Clad would send, if their soothsayers felt the twitch in Sunne as Naya tried to use her advent for a second time in a day.

Off he moved along the Edelon river. He would make for Riven and find someone to help him there. That is, until an Avian landed in front of him. Since the fall of the Aviary, things like were becoming more common, although most of the dead ones had fallen weeks prior. He dropped to his knees and regarded the poor fellow. He could still feel their life, so they were not ready for their next journey yet. He shouldered the Avian and continued his journey to Riven.

Shekar's Basement, saddlebrown
Shortly after Shekar's meeting with Zovalias the letters had been sent out. Their number was few, for only those who could be completely trusted not to run to Tattersal, be it through hatred of the new General, blackmail, or simply good business, would receive an invitation. Those who were fortunate, or unfortunate, enough found the letter waiting for them in their office, carefully wrapped in a black ribbon and sealed with red wax.

And, despite the trepidation and danger that the letter represented, every one of the invited merchants found their way to Shekar's basement punctually the night of the meeting. But even those who arrived early, hoping to establish a position of control in this supposed meeting of potential allies would find themselves greeted by the leering face of Zovalias, the rest of his disturbing form hidden by the shadows of a corner.

Belphebe was the last of the invited guests to make her appearance, and she descended into the basement half a step in front of Shekar, her coils scraping against the staircase and sending echoes around the room. Everything about her spoke of confidence, for under her arm was tucked one of the key pieces to this whole escapade; the map of the Viridos Navy routes.

Now that everyone was present Zovalias stepped out of the shadows. With no preamble he began to speak, and the meeting was underway.

"Belphebe, let us see the maps." He extended one clawed hand in her direction. Belphebe hesitated, reluctant to relinquish her one symbol of power to the grotesque nocturne, but Zovalias waited out her pause with unwavering certainty that she would, eventually, comply with his request. Finally Belphebe acquiesced, moving forward to hand the maps off. But before the rolls of parchment could reach the nocturne there was a sound from up the steps, a sound that sent shivers down everyone's spine.

The secret door to the basement was being opened. Opened by someone who had not been invited.

In an instant the merchants rounded on each other, certain that one of their number had betrayed them to the General. Aux all over the room began to glow, advents moments away from being triggered. But what came down the stairs was not an armed platoon of Viridos soldiers, but rather a single, petite woman.

She settled against the wall at the bottom of the stairs, looking for all the world as though she had just as much of a right to be present at this secret meeting of smugglers as anyone else in the room.

"And just who do you think you are?" Horahn, a rather large human in charge of the shipment of most of Viridos' metalwork, a business that required open trade with Kaustir's metal-mines, was the first to break the stunned silence. He rounded on the woman, hands clenched by his side where normally his large hammers would rest by his hips. But, except perhaps for a covert shiv or throwing knife, his and everyone else's weapons had been left above ground in an attempt to facilitate civil conversation.

But Shekar had not been present to enforce that rule with the unwelcome woman, who quickly drew the wicked dagger strapped to her waist.

"Now, now," she said, like a teacher reprimanding unruly children. "You didn't really think you'd be able to keep this little rendezvous a secret, did you?"

Shekar stepped forward, placing a hand on Horahn's arm. The man glowered at the draken, but reluctantly stepped back. "Who are you?"

"Who I am does not matter. What does matter is that, so long as I am in this room, I represent both the voice and the resources of Teadoir."

Stunned silence reigned in the room until Zovalias cleared his throat. This was, in the end, just another piece of politics in the business. "Then let us continue. Belphebe, the maps?"

Pacing seemed to be her thing of late. Back and forth, back and forth, Shar stopped; ears twitching, eyes squinting, tail swishing to and fro. A growl of frustration came from deep in her chest and she sneezed showing her nervousness. There truly was nothing worse than waiting, all her life she had been a person of action, loving the thrill of it, racing to her death and inhaling the sharp sting of excitement mixed with a tint of fear. It wasn't till of late that she had found something she feared that she couldn't beat, or at least break even with. Water. Until this trip she had never known the awesome power of the stuff. Till now it had been nothing but a substance to drink on occasion or even bathe in, heaven forbid. No, to her the substance had always presented itself in its frozen form and was feared by humans and the like but not by her. Shardis loved snow, the cold white stuff was her best friend, besides her brother of course. She had found out just how powerful it could be and it terrified her, mostly because it showed her she had no control over it or her fate if she entered it in its wilder form. This was one of its wildest forms, the ocean. It was bad enough to sail on it, daring it to wash you overboard or drown you in a shipwreck at sea. Now the idea of going below it... with kelp to tangle about your feet and legs and monsters to eat you in one gulp with out even showing themselves to you....Gods! Shardis had never before been so afraid of a thing as she was at this moment and she knew she would sink like a stone too if it depended on her to fetch the Libras' Sphere, thankfully Caoimhe had chosen to do this thing. Her respect for the wolf girl doubled and her ears flattened in anger again at her own cowardice, she should do this thing! Shar turned away and began pacing again.

Reactions: unanun and E.T.
Status
Not open for further replies.