INTERACTIONS
NPC: Eydis || Halvar
PC: Melkorka || Winifred "Winnie"

MENTIONED
NPC: Eydis || Halvar
PC: Melkorka || Winifred "Winnie"

TAGGED
@B l u E s || @Isla

Brynjar, a giant of a man, standing at 6'7", was just getting his shop back into the flow of things after a few months of dealing with outrageously high taxes and disastrous trades with people he considered his friends. You really know who's your friend, or at least someone there for you, when you're at your lowest of lows and they stand by you through it all. Brynjar has only known Melkorka Gustaaf for a few months now, and when his shop was not doing the best, she was there to help him and sent her well known and loyal customers his way; which helped his business gain a new crop of loyal customers that brought in even more people to see his goods and buy his creations and perfect armor. In return for Melkorka's generosity, he tends to drop off metals and other materials that a Blacksmith would need when he goes to her shop. He's a Crafter and an Armorsmith, meaning, he doesn't use as much metal as a Blacksmith, so he gives the rest to the Gustaaf's. Brynjar's shop has also been hit hard with Raiding not being allowed anymore, since Vikings were the only ones that bought armor and used said armor when they went on raids. The new Earl's laws were only making the Gentle's Giant life harder.

Brynjar would never admit it or even acknowledged it, but most of his more loyal customers were young ladies who just couldn't keep their eyes off the large, Godlike form of a man. No one could protest to him being the son of Erik The Giant; inheriting the Legendary Viking's good looks and height; getting his kindness and determination from his mother, Astrid, who was fondling nicknamed Lady Valkyrie among most of Kaupang Villagers and other Vikings. His family were known around Kaupang, for good and bad reasons, which is why he thought that Earl Thorvald seemed to tax his shop higher than others, because of the family he comes from.

"By the Gods, I've finished it!" His long blonde hair falling behind his head as he looked up to the ceiling of his shop with a huge smile on his face. Relief showed on the man's beautiful face as he held up the gorgeous necklace he had been working on night and day. He held it up to the light and felt accomplishment wash over him. "Brother! What is that?!" Hearing his sister, Eydis' loud, but delicate voice behind him. Brynjar quickly turned around, necklace now behind his back. "Oh it's nothing, nothing at all." He grinned at her, knowing she could tell when he was lying.

"Let me see it..." The larger male could easily block his 5'3" sister away, but he didn't feel like hearing her whine even more. "You might as well let her see it, Bryn." The kind male turned to his brother, Halvar, twin to Eydis, and nodded his head. "Well... it was suppose to be a surprise..." Sighing, he moved the necklace from behind his back and placed it around his loving sister's delicate neck and waited for the screams of excitement to come. "By the Gods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Both Brynjar and Halvar covered their ears and groaned. Eydis scream was loud and forceful, she could be the town's alarm if needed.

Thankfully, the young girl stopped screaming and wrapped her arms around Brynjar's muscular waist. "Thank you dear brother of mines." Halvar sat in a corner working on a new shield. "You have two dear brothers, remember that." Brynjar looked down at his sister and smirked at her. "You're welcome, and I hope you take care of it. I could have sold that and made a lot of coin, but I decided to give it to you as a good luck charm of sorts." He gave her a kiss on the forehead and went to the front of the shop, officially opening the place for business.

"Brother, what shall we do with these metals?" Brynjar walked over to Halvar, who had a large box of different strips of metal from local traders of the Market Place next to him. "Well... if we don't need these parts, I know who might." He chuckled and picked the box up, which would've been very heavy for someone smaller in size and weaker in strength than the Gentle Giant. "I will be back shortly, please keep this place in one piece." He said, as he opened the door for a lovely lady to walk in. "Welcome." He smiled down at her. The lady almost passed out with a flutter of her eyes, barely managing to head further into the shop. He didn't notice her odd actions, making his way to Melkorka's Shop with the box of metals.

While walking towards his friend's shop, he noticed a beautiful horse tied to one of the poles of the building. "Hey girl." He smiled at the horse, rubbing her side and sighing in relaxation. "We're both tied to something that won't let us go. One day we'll both be free to run wild, girl. Just wait." Patting the horse one more time, before heading into the shop. He remembered to duck under the entrance, not wanting to hit his head... again.

"Oh Melkorka!" He said in a singsong voice, that would most likely irritate the deathly serious woman, like always. "I have some extra metals that I won't be needing and I thought..." He trailed off when he noticed a beautiful woman standing at the front, waiting for Melkorka to look over her sword. "My apologies." He looked at the woman and smiled at her. An awkwardness started to feel his body, causing him to drop the box of metals, with a loud BANG! onto the wooden floor. "Great..." He whispered to himself, before picking the box back up. "Is that your horse outside?" He looked back at the woman, who he had never seen around Kaupang before, he would remember such a beautiful face.

Winifred ♢ Blacksmith Shop ♢ Melkorka Gustaaf, Brynjar Erikkson

Winifred held back a snort. Melkorka, beautiful. Melkorka, unbloodied. She pursed her lips in amusement as the tall lady approached her. "Ahhh and here I thought I could manage to look decent for the men when they came buying new axes or perhaps shovels, who knows what they want when they come here," Melkorka sighed. Winifred laughed mockingly at her. She was jealous. The lady blacksmith could be wearing the finest battle armor any day and she could still look good for the men twirling around and letting out petty whimsical sighs with that blue and green dress of hers. "What exactly do you do with those blades for them to be so worn out in so little time?" The small woman grinned crookedly at the inquiry. "What do you think?" Winifred, brash as always, countered pointedly, raising a brow at the black-haired woman. "I cut out men's tongues and roast the earl's heart on a spit."

Winifred wasn't afraid of that man. More often than not, she could always hear his screams as she cut him skin deep. Taxes were rising and the family she lived with had to work twice as hard to get what they needed for food, water, shelter, and clothing. It was starting to become a conundrum of sorts and the risk Winifred took to stay on top was simply starting to be nothing more than a game. Who could get more meat? Who could make more blankets and furs? How about harvesting? She was tired of it all. The shieldmaiden glanced down at her sword, deep in thought. She didn't come to Kaupang to work harder than what she was doing a few months back, only to be taxed higher each month. Her stay was supposed to be refuge. She was supposed to enjoy it, or at least live it, without wanting to hack off the earl's neck every waking moment. It was like slavery all over again, except she wasn't having sex with old men. She was selling her body and soul to hard, physical labor for the sake of everyone else. Fuck the earl and his bloody taxes.

The blacksmith's shop was humid with coals burning nearby. Ash and soot seemed to rest in every nook and cranny. It felt a little overwhelming, like Winifred needed to get fresh air. She stared down at her beauty, blunt and worn. All she could see was the blood of her enemies raining down on it as she slit their throats and stabbed their eyes. She wanted the sword to be done today so she could start hacking tomorrow. Audun seemed to enjoy her swinging the bloody thing like it was no one's business. Winifred took out a small pouch of coins, ready to do business. She'd only just arrived at the shop, but sincerity was calling out. Winifred didn't have time to dawdle around make sweet talk with Melkorka. She had to return to the home she lived at and help them pick out this month's crops. "How much to get it shining and sharp again? An evening meal? A handful of gold coins?"

Winifred stood silently as she watched Melkorka. She thought Melkorka might be wondering how much she could snatch from Winifred before she went broke. In this day and age, Winifred knew how people went about their business. It didn't matter whether one man was a gentleman or the other was a piece of shit; everyone dealt with survival in their own way. Some stole money and bread, others paid for what wasn't theirs. Winifred fucked up whoever dare steal the crops she planted for the household's supper. She was growing tired of people saying the man was her husband. Winifred wasn't even near to feeling any sort of love for those who gave her a place to sleep and food to eat. She was simply civil, simply grateful. The family she lived with were just friends and she was only their guest... for an extended period of time. Soon, she'd move out, once she had enough coin to buy a small plot of land and build a nice, cozy home for one person.

The shieldmaiden's contemplation abruptly came to an end. She narrowed her eyes as a sing-song voice entered the shop. "Oh Melkorka!" It was a man, no less. Winifred straightened her back and softened her features as he spoke. Better to appear civil, than a woman about to cut someone's throat. She waited for him to finish his business. "I have some extra metals that I won't be needing and I thought..." Her eyes gazed anywhere but at the man. "My apologies." Winifred glanced over at him and he dropped the box. She held back a small snicker, only a slight twitch of amusement coming from the corner of her mouth. She considered making a move for the damn thing, but he seemed fine. Nothing had fallen out of it. "Is that your horse outside?" She raised a brow, looking at Melkorka for a moment, then turning back to the blonde-haired man. She'd have to figure this man out on her own. "Yes, she is. Her name is Freyja. Fine mare, isn't she? What brings you here, Sir ...?" She didn't say anything further, as she didn't know what the man's name was.

M E L K O R K A
Gustaaf's Blacksmith Shop
|| Interactions: @Isla @Shattered♦Secrets™ ||

[dash]

Melkorka lifted her eyes up to see Brynjar, she gave him a fake smile for a second. " Don't ever call out my name like that, please. " she gritted in a very low voice which only those that paid attention to what she said could hear. But, he made too much noise with his banging and clumsiness, so it was probably inaudible to both of her clients.

She then sighed while the two individuals at her shop conversed brieftly, looked at the blades to estimate the price. It shouldn't take much time even if they were fairly banged up. She laid them back on the counter before speaking up and probably giving half of the answer to Winifred's question. " Brynjar, put them in the back of the store with the rest of the metals I have, " she trailed off before picking up the daggers of her client. She wanted him to move like that she can finish with her client's purchase.

" And don't knock out the swords.. or have your clothes catch on fire... or poke yourself like last time " She added cautiously with a small smirk as she looked at Brynjar and she just couldn't help but laugh. He was just so... annoying.

That man could thick her off like no one else. Yet... she found the patience with him and amusement for that matter. She didn't understand why the Gods wanted that pest to stick to her ass like an annoying bloodsucking bug, but she was very patient with him. Especially since he brought good business and word for her. In times like these, she didn't need enemies.

" As for you Winifred, the same amount of silver as last time. Is that okay with you?" She asked her, but she already knew the answer. To keep her clients, Melkorka had no choice but to have a competitive price and that was the lowest price she could get, to be honest. Considering the quality of Melkorka's work, it was extremely cheap.
[/dash]

• Love
Reactions: Justin and Akashi
Abdiel Thorstein - Merchant Road - Alvar Gustaaf

Realizing the long term financial predicament forced a feeling of distraught in Abdiel. Worried for the upcoming winter, the farmer lost focus of his surroundings. He was becoming hysterical, visions returned to him moreover. He was the light in the darkness, beings surrounded him both in air and land. They spoke to him, voices recognizable but words blathered brutishly. "What do you want?" he would call in question, watching their figure through the reflection of his own flare. An effigy resembling a shattered woman walked to his side unexpectedly, clinging to his shoulder before he pushed himself away. "What do you want?!" he questioned once more with brewing aggression. His feet stood firmly in place, a circle of light that shielded him from the confining wickedness.

"He is the one..." were words Abdiel managed to make out out of all this mayhem. His mouth opened in question, but his voice had become silent. He kept hearing the demons speak around him, but their figure had now become bleak. His own light commenced to seize existence alongside his ability to speak. Losing life, the light he once possessed had become lost in darkness. He felt the creatures closing in, but Abdiel fearlessly yelled in reticence.

And then it all came back......

"Who would want to go after your crops?"

Abdiel turned with a raised brow, bottom lip hanging loosely as his eyes shifted left and right in disarray. They stopped when he was finally able to fixate on the back of Rotinn's damaged head, walking away with the aid of Tatianna. He didn't query them to stop, merely let them go on their way as his answers were undoubtedly inexplicable. He turned to the rational Alvar, a friend who had once again come to Abdiel's side in time of need. "I'm unsure Alvar," he started, leaning on the wagon drubbing his defeat.

Though upon realizing he had lost, his mind opened up to possibilities. Scenarios and hidden context contrived from mental focus. Who would have done this to him was a fair question. As pointed out, his crops had been the target, not him nor Rotinn. Whoever had attacked his defenseless nutriment had some form of motive. However, aiming at Abdiel would become problematic for the perpetrator. Abdiel was surely a reasonable farmer, but before that he was a fierce viking and warrior. Those that came across as enemies perished under his blade and would continue to.

"My father has been conducting trade northward near Oslo. This here is my share of the produce, he takes his to trade without tax. Someone must have found out and attacked me on his behalf," Abdiel explained, knowing Alvar was not one to rat out his comrades. Walking up to the boat builder, their fierce eyes met.

"It must have been Thorvald's men. No one else would care. He must have-" Abdiel concluded, but found himself interrupted by nearby horns and chatter. Down the road and from the bay horns blew loudly in the arrival of the Earl. Speaking of Hel himself, Thorvald had arrived to give his anticipated speech to the traders and merchants of the lands. Turning downward towards the bay, one could see the numerous ship flags reaching the cove of Kaupang. "There's the bastard. Let's go, the festival is about to start."

@Akashi

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earl Thorvald - Merchant Bay - Everyone

"Ladies and Gentlemen! Earl Thorvald!" the announcer publicly broadcast, horns blown loudly in his presence. On horseback, the Earl and his followers stood higher than the villagers. Merchants from Kapuang looked up at him in disgust, most of them shunning him for his actions against their enriched vikings. Warriors alike feared his continuous reign, Kaupang ill found by democratic malarkey.

On the other hand, the traders that came to Kaupang for business were undergoing the same statute at home. Unlike Kaupang however, their residents were not taxed unfairly. They had regulations intact that prevented such actions from by their Earls. Thorvald had initially instituted such affairs to prevent bloodshed and exercise a boundless friendship between towns. His actions had firmly taken a turn of greed as other towns became more prosperous through time. To act against such advancement, Earl Thorvald initiated a tax system that provided him and his followers enough coin to remain atop year round. With a dying economy, this tax system acted as a safeguard. Tax collection would give the higher ups enough revenue to fix any demanding problems.

Though this act was loathed by all of Kaupang's residents. Incoming traders thought nothing of it as they did not know it was occurring. If anyone spoke against the system, they would inevitably meet their demise.

"Citizens of Kapuang and newcomers, I am Earl Thorvald. I have come today to recognize you for your hard work to keep Kaupang prosperous. I've taken the liberty to thank our neighbors, the people of Sarpsborg, Oslo, Skara and Viborg. You all have come a long way for this day and it is my absolute pleasure to have you all in my town. It is a beautiful day as we prepare for the incoming harsh winters. I hope you find all our goods up to par! Now, continue on my good friends as I will return later this day to speak yet again about our future in Kaupang. Please....Drink, eat and celebrate. Our festivities our for you. Thank you."​

Reactions: Akashi
Astrid Karsesten - Market place - Djerv Fastheldi

Although Astrid had done her best in politely telling the man no, it seemed that he would not back down on his offer, which caused her to sigh and nod as she followed suit. Winifred had left in a hurry which would have left her alone and without a bucket.

"I must thank you. It is good to see that some people still have a shred of decency within them." Her voice kept quiet as they passed through the crowd, not wanting to draw attention to herself.

Fetching the water did not take long, and soon the pair had found themselves walking towards the spot where Steinn had settled himself to sell his material. It was then that the two were caught in a crowd that had formed to hear what the Earl had to say. A mere introduction; the same he did every year which Astrid had grown to ignore.

"Astrid! I might as well have sent you to the springs in the mountains to fetch the water. What took you so long?"

The young blonde heard Steinn before she could see him. Her face portrayed her emotions of distaste for a mere second before she composed herself to turn towards the man. "I was held up due to an accident. My apologies."

Astrid looked on as Steinn turned to regard her companion, a slight frown on his face although his tone changed when speaking to him.

"Djerv, I have heard about you. How do you know her? Here, I'll get that out of your way." He mentioned for the bucket before he reached out for it, not bothering to look at Astrid again, although she could feel his frustration with her radiating off of his body. She merely bit her tongue and held back what she had to say in order to get him to still give her said freedom back.

@Mangekyō

Reactions: Tribulation
Kayne & Anasthyn - Marketplace / Stables - Sigrunn
@HecateProxy

The large man held his gaze on the girl beneath him for a moment. Had he not been in a tolerant mood, and had this girl been a man, Kayne would have struck her for her tone. Instead, however, his hands remained at his side as he exhaled. His gaze shifted for a moment to the women to the side of the cart who had been arguing. His gaze gave them more than enough hint, which prompted them to dip their heads and walk away.

With added privacy, the man cleared his throat and returned his eyes to the girl. "Pitch your mare. Follow me." He commanded. He waited a few moments and then continued when Sigrunn was ready. Kayne proceeded forward, clearing a path through the crowd as he walked and allowing the girl and her donkey to follow in his wake. The small procession traveled slowly to the other end of the town. As he lead her towards a small road that wound towards the treeline, Kayne simply gave the girl a backward glance to assure she still followed.

As they entered the treeline, the warrior slightly picked up his pace, adding speed to his long strides. Within a minute, a large clearing came into view. The clearing was occupied by by a small farm, fit with four wooden structures. The first, a small farmhouse with a smokeless chimney. The second, a tall barn with a thatch roof. The third building was a long stable which was occupied by nearly a dozen horses. Next to the stables was a wide fence that formed a large pen.

Inside the pen was a young man, who stood in front of a horse. On top of the horse was a girl with blonde hair. She pulled at a rope harness, which was bitten in the horse's large snout. The young horse stamped its feet. "Calm, Snowfire!" The girl commanded with a tone of authority. The horse seemed to obey, until it turned its neck sideways and spotted Kayne. Apparently frightened by the sight of him, the animal whinnied and stamped its hooves again, trotting backwards towards the fence. "Aye! Snowfire!" The girl commanded again, tugging on the rains as the horse reared it's front legs. The young man in the coral stepped away, but held his hands up in a calming gesture towards the horse.

The young beast reared back violently, casting the girl from it's back. She fell to the ground and quickly rolled under the fence as the horse's front hooves landed where her head had lain. As the horse backed away, slightly more calm, she jumped the fence. She reached into her pocket and produced an apple that had been sliced in half. She held up a half of the apple and slowly stepped towards the horse, coaxing it to calm. "Here, Snowfire... come, girl..." She held her hand far in front of her, palm wide open. The animal slowly trotted forward, enticed by the sight of the apple. It slowly reached its neck down and took the apple with it's large teeth. "Take her back, Rinwolf." She said to the young man. Rinwolf nodded and carefully took the ropes and led the horse through the wooden gate.

"Anasthyn!" Kayne called towards the girl, who exited the pen as the stable boy did.

"Kayne, you big off!" Anasthyn shouted, swinging her arm and throwing the uneaten half of the apple at him. The fruit bounced off of his chest, but Kayne did not flinch. "I have been working that one for days and you trot onto my land and scare Odin's wrath into her, and now I find myself still with an unfit horse!" She marched forward, her hands clenched in anger.

"Calm yourself, Anklebiter." He said. "I need your uncle."

"Calm myself?" She fumed, stepping but a yard away and craning her neck to look him in the eye. "If you weren't the mass of a bear, I'd ram you so hard, the Valkyries would not know what to with you!" She exhaled and closed her eyes. "The nerve..." She mumbled. She opened her eyes and seemed to notice Sigrunn for the first time. She swallowed and looked back up at Kayne. "What do you need?" She finally asked.

"Your uncle, not you, child." He answered.

"He is away, in town for the market."

Kayne sighed and looked towards the cloudless sky. "I haven't the time to wait for his return." He said, then turned to Sigrunn. "Tell her what you need, girl."

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: HecateProxy

BRYNJAR
[spoili]
yhlsn-yfvd8.jpg
[/spoili]
#8AFFDB Gustaaf Shop Winifred "Winnie" || Melkorka
Brynjar's boyish smile seemed to grow a little wider as he heard the foreign woman's voice for the first time. The awkwardness he had been feeling previously was slowly washed away. He was feeling comfortable around the girl, and he also had Melkorka there to keep him in business mode. He was about to answer the girl's question and give his name, but his friend, or someone he at least saw as a friend, Melkorka gave his name for him. He turned to her and nodded his head. "Hey... I didn't see that sword over my head that last time. I think it might've poked my brain." He chuckled, heading to the back of the store with a light wave towards the two women.

He found the other metals near the back of the store and bit down on his bottom lip. "Now, where should I put this?" Holding the box in one arm and tapping his chin with his other hand. He was a real character in every way possible. Brynjar was entertaining just by being his goofy, sweet and very clumsy self. "Oh! I'll just put it right here." Putting the box on an empty section of the table of metals, he sat it down, roughly, out of habit. The table nearly cracked because of his overly strong dropping of the box. He scratched the back of his head. "I think I should build a new table for Melkorka, she'll probably still kill me for almost cracking this one... but at least she'll have a pretty new one." He spun on his heels and headed his way back to the front of the building.

Not wanting to interrupt the business conversation, knowing how serious Melkorka was about her clients and getting the job done, he stood next to the exit of the store. Coughing into his hand, he looked at back of the girl and wanted to finish their conversation. "Freyja is a beautiful name for such a beautiful horse, a powerful name." He chuckled to himself. "I'm Brynjar, if you didn't hear Melkorka said it. And your name, miss?" He was staring at the back of the foreign lady's head now, resting against the wall nearest the exit of the shop. "I usually come and bring my friend and her husband some fine metals that I don't use often. I own that Crafting Shop to the right of here, you should come by one day and pick some useful things up. I'll give you a fair price on anything you that catches your eye." He grinned, trying to be friendly enough and not wanting to scare the girl off.

Most people tended to judge Brynjar just off his height and massive physique, thinking his was just a brute and a savage, which he was the total opposite of. Large men like him got bad reps because of the true large savages that were his height or larger. He hated men who used their strength and domineering stature and status to get their way with women and weaker men, it just sickened him to the core. "So... are either one of you excited to see Earl Thorvald make an appearance shortly to show his "gratitude" and "appreciation" of us men and women who work hard just to keep HIM wealthy?" He spat out the last word and shook his head. He would never speak this way around others, but Melkorka was someone he knew that also detested the Earl, probably more than him. He didn't know if the foreign girl would say anything to the Earl's Guards about his words, but he had a feeling she wouldn't.

• Love
Reactions: junebug
Astrid Karsesten/ Djerv/ Stein - Market place - Djerv Fastheldi
@Wolverbells
Whilst they sauntered through the marketplace on their way back to the well, the bucket which he'd made Astrid spill by accident was loosely gripped in his calloused fingers. It swayed only slightly in his hold even though it barely rested upon his fingers at all as the six-five Djerv maneuvered through the crowds with ease. He moved so fluidly and without stopping it would almost seem as if he were able to tell who was going to go where and when they were going. And yet, the highly respected warrior also seemed to use his size to allow Astrid to follow close behind as he forged on ahead.

"I must thank you. It is good to see that some people still have a shred of decency within them." Astrid said to him.

"Even if it aggravates you, that I won't give your bucket back?" Djerv questioned, his voice had an almost mockingly playful tone to it. "Head guardsman—make way!" Djerv barked causing the crowds to splinter into smaller, more cohesive groupings than the large horde that simply blocked the way.

Djerv had a certain duality to him; he could joke but he could also command respect--and he made it look very easy. He was a Huskarl after all, having proven his loyalty and skill as a Thegn, a veteran official, time and again. So he remained a well-respected member of the town. He was also a Haulder, a hereditary landowner and unlike those who were elite caste warriors unwilling to train fellow clansmen, he was considered in a caste of warriors that did. He had the experience, no doubt, to do so. But for all his titles and accolades, he, unlike his father, never wanted to wrest public scrutiny onto him. He just wasn't that type of man.

A warrior? Certainly, one of the best. But he never felt compelled as much as his father, to clamor for glory by soaking his hands in the blood of someone else, just to make a living. He understood that it was a different time for his father and his grandfather. Raiding was simply no longer needed. The weather was much warmer than in the past, they could grow their own food instead of taking it at sword point.

Djerv tied the rope around the handle of the bucket, using the winch to lower it into the depths of the well before turning the crank steadily; his arm flexing as he forced the old winch to turn and lift the bucket out of the well. It was filled to the brim, much more than she had it. As he sat the bucket on the edge of the well before untying the bucket from the half-inch rope, he hummed.

"You picked someday, to finally find--The devil in your eyes, and look inside mine. And I'm a long way from paradise, I've said goodbye, I'm the boy who cried." Djerv sang the following part with closed lips and without words as he attached to the winch and wrapped it around the cylindrical rotating drum. He then once again took hold of the bucket and looked at Astrid as if prompting her to lead the way. The words he did speak seemed to carry weight.

"Sunrise come, and I better get going--I better get home and, I better get gone. No one is here and a warm wind's blowing, there's a dark heat growing, I'd better get gone."

They had begun walking back, Djerv to Astrid's left, when they came upon a large gathering.Looking around, Djerv realized that Earl Thorvald was beginning to speak. Standing there looking up at the Earl, he was reminded of his father as they may have shared many differences--but also striking similarities. They were both smug and arrogant. Afterward, the two continued on. Djerv wanted to question her about being a thrall; how long had she been one? Was she in debt, or simply the progeny of another thrall? All these questions, and yet, he felt that maybe--he shouldn't ask at all.

"Astrid! I might as well have sent you to the springs in the mountains to fetch the water. What took you so long?" A voice sprang forcing Djerv to look from his left, to straight ahead. He then looked down o Astrid who walked ahead of him. He didn't see much of her expression, but the crinkling around the corners of her did little to belie her distaste for the man.

Astrid halted. "I was held up due to an accident. My apologies." She said. It was as though he were looking at a child who knew better than to speak up. Something he knew all too well.

He then looked towards Steinn. "This woman likes to take all the glory for herself," Djerv chuckled looking over at her. " I am partially to blame. I was on patrol when I 'rounded a corner and lo' and behold, the gods deemed I needed a shower. So I fetched some more water since I had caused her to spill it."

"Djerv, I have heard about you. How do you know her? Here, I'll get that out of your way." Djerv handed the man the hefty bucket with a polite smile.

"Well," Djerv looked over at Astrid. "as captain of the guard, you get to know the whereabouts of most. But she definitely stands out--in a good way."

Astrid/ Steinn - Market Place - Djerv Fastheldi
@Mangekyō

The young woman had kept her eyes to the ground as Djerv and Steinn spoke. She wished that she could just return to the house and help out Steinn's wife with the chores there.

"Stands out, does she?" Steinn's deep voice broke her train of thought. Astrid's eyes darted up at her so called master as he scratched his beard. "Well, I suppose so. You are not the first man to tell me this. A young man from Oslo made a decent offer for her..." Immediately Astrid felt her blood begin to boil as she heard the words leave his mouth. Someone had made an offer for her while she was away. It was the man that he had been too friendly and talkative to when he had sent her for water. She glared at Steinn with enough anger, that if looks could kill, he would of been dead ten fold.

"I have actually been taking it into consideration. She's given me five years work and never tried to run. My children are now old enough to tend to themselves so she is of little use now."

'The nerve! He knows we made a deal! He promised my freedom just hours ago. By Odin if he sells me I'll kill the bastard.'

Rather than speaking out, Astrid merely bit her tongue until she tasted blood. Causing a scene would only secure her chances of being sold.

Astrid/ Steinn - Market Place - Djerv Fastheldi
@Wolverbells

Even standing there as he was, conversing, Djerv was keeping the periphery of his eyesight upon the fair-haired maiden. To say she was upset, was a bit of an overwhelming understatement. The mere sound of her owner's encroaching voice stirred fires in her blood and he could tell, without directly peering at her or forcing her to open her mouth, that she'd clamped down on her own tongue. If Djerv had learned anything in his thirty or so years of labor, it was life knew no end of cruelty and shame.Surely, there were times when it came to be less so, and there were always times for the heart to yearn. But this world was a far cry from paradise.

"Stands out, does she?" Stein continued, restating Djerv's statement. This, of course, made the weary woman become so emboldened by the remark that she immediately ceased staring endlessly at the ground and then lifted her vision to meet his face.

"Well, I suppose so. You are not the first man to tell me this. A young man from Oslo made a decent offer for her..." The older man persisted, the ensuing glare drawing somewhat of a smirk on Djerv's countenance. He candidly admired her spirit; dauntless.

"You don't say," Djerv cleverly relayed the words carefully. Not because he feared this woman for whose alluring beauty attracted attention-- wanted or not, yearned for or hesitant.

"I have actually been taking it into consideration. She's given me five years work and never tried to run. My children are now old enough to tend to themselves so she is of little use now."

His words were crafted in such a way as to pluck the right chords as if of a lyre; plucking one wrong chord could spell disaster. It was the difference between freeing her and allowing her dignity to be regained as a free woman, and condemning her to the life of a wretch. She was more than a mere bird awaiting the day her cage door had been left open.

"If you don't mind my asking, what was his price--what was yours?" If she truly bears no gain for you--perhaps I might be able to take her off your hands--for a reasonable sum, that is." Derv's eyes became steely, almost seemingly casting emotion out of them like the dawn beget a new morrow and sending the shadows of yesterday scurrying like rats. They fell upon her, cascading downwards, slowly, taking in her voluptuous and shapely curves.

He grabbed her wrist firmly, lifting her arm up, his eyes scantily ensnaring the details of her soft cream flesh; where she'd been marked by lashings or simply child's play--nothing escaped his gaze, his scrutiny. Nevertheless, there was something about the way he handled her that neither she nor the man that was her master, would have caught very easily. That glimmer, that sliver of pained precaution that he took in his observation. He was rough, but not too rough. His demeanor, his conduct was cold and calculating--but by no means was it frozen.

"Name your price."

Winifred ♢ Blacksmith Shop ♢ Melkorka Gustaaf, Brynjar Erikkson
@B l u E s @Justinaholic

Winifred's curiosity peaked for a brief moment as she watched Brynjar make his way toward the back with the large box in hand. He was a... rather jovial fellow. It made her a litle jealous. She was hardly the kind of woman one could look at and see that she was happy. Winifred was never genuinely happy, or at least, that's what she felt. She supposed she enjoyed being in that house, surrounded by children, but everything always lead back to stupid feelings of jealousy and insecurity. Why couldn't she be carefree? Why couldn't she act like there was nothing wrong and go about her day with a smile on her face? She sighed as Melkorka piped up again in a smooth and calm tone. "As for you Winifred, the same amount of silver as last time. Is that okay with you?" Winifred nodded as she fished out ten silver coins from her purse, then placed them on the table. "Thank you," she mumbled, tightening her purse and taking one last look at her sword.

The man who'd come only a few minutes ago, Brynjar, abruptly coughed. Winifred glanced up, just as she decided to take her leave, and let the male continue with their conversation. She'd had half a mind to leave, hopefully before he showed up, but he was here now, and it would be rude to leave without finishing what he started. "Ah, you want me to buy something by telling me to buy something. Lovely way to sell your things. I'm Winifred," she told Brynjar, inexpressive. It wasn't that she hated talking to people, or hated people in general, she just felt the consistent need to isolate herself and not open up about anything. It was better to let other people ramble on about themselves and what they had to say, rather than focusing the attention on her. She prayed it stayed that way. "The Earl will do whatever he likes. If someone gave me a hundred gold coin, I'd happily slit the bastard's throat," She replied bluntly, without batting an eyelash.

The townspeople were expected to watch their tongue but Winifred didn't grow up in a place where being passive was key. If she had something, by the Gods, she'd say it, no matter whether it hurt someone or not. When you were frank, you got around, but conniving rich men like Earl Thorvald did not. The sound of horns began to play and she groaned in complaint. He was here. She stopped for a moment, listening from afar, albeit not very good. He was loud, but his sermon didn't interest her, so she barely played a part in trying to understand every word he said. "Can't go another day without acting like an arrogant shrewd, can he? Ignorant fool," she muttered. One day every citizen would be taxed so highly they would die before the next tax day came around. That's how frustrating and irrational it was. He was a beast who only cared for himself and that would one day be his demise. "He thinks we have time for parties, but we don't. If I wanted to eat and drink at this festivity, I'd be in the tavern getting drunk because of how much damn work I have to do every day with little to no sleep."

• Love
Reactions: Justin
Sigrunn Néel - Marketplace to stables - Kayne

Her heart fluttered loudly in her chest as she searched his face in the pause; only reading the stoic creases of his weathered skin as the weight of her words sunk in. With an almost exasperated sigh she watched with a hopeful gleam as he more or less sent the two quarrelsome ladies scurrying off with a well placed look.

"Pitch your mare. Follow me." He barked out as the young maiden quickly began to pack her wares. She bounced around with a certain nervous energy that only seemed to gleam mischievously in her eyes. Yes, Sigrunn was more than thrilled as she mounted her mare and flashed the man a coy smile.

In return he turned the flat of his back to her and they began their journey in mutual silence. Sigrunn drummed her fingers against the brushed mane of her mare, basking in the wonderful buzzing feeling that had spread from her gut. The Gods were smiling down on her on this day and soon she'll have everything she needed to make a slightly easier life. 'I might even be able to convince a weapons smith to forge me a blade!' her thoughts were clamoring with glee as she shifted excitedly in her seat.

It didn't take them long before they came across a farm. She took in the settlement; it might not be much in the grand scheme of things but it held promise and was a hell of a lot more than she had.

On top of a horse was a girl with blonde hair. She pulled at a rope harness, which was bitten in the horse's large snout. The young horse stamped its feet. "Calm, Snowfire!" The girl commanded with a tone of authority. The horse seemed to obey, until it turned towards the traveling duo. Sigrunn noted the flaring of nostrils as the beast eyed the mammoth sized man before her. Her eyes rolling backwards in fear before rearing her front legs. The stable hand tried to soothe her but Sigrunn watched with worry as the blonde girl was tossed from her perch.

Sigrunn's mouth opened and shut in a silent cry as she watched the girl roll sharply away just moments before the beasts powerful hooves came crushing downward. Her mouth set in a grim line as she watched her offer the animal a treat and attempted to soothe her wild demeanor.

It was when she sent the mare off with the stable boy that Sigrunn felt herself let out breath she had been holding.

"Anasthyn!" Her companion called to the blonde.

"Kayne, you big off!"

Sigrunn stared speechless as the petite girl had begun to spout off at the giant. Swinging her arm and throwing the uneaten half of the apple at him. The fruit bounced off of his chest and it was all she could do not burst out in laughter.

"I have been working that one for days and you trot onto my land and scare Odin's wrath into her, and now I find myself still with an unfit horse!" She marched forward, her hands clenched in anger.

"Calm yourself, Anklebiter." He said. "I need your uncle."

"Calm myself?" She fumed, stepping but a yard away and craning her neck to look him in the eye. "If you weren't the mass of a bear, I'd ram you so hard, the Valkyries would not know what to with you!" She exhaled and closed her eyes. "The nerve..." She mumbled. She opened her eyes and seemed to notice Sigrunn for the first time. She swallowed and looked back up at Kayne. "What do you need?" She finally asked.

"Your uncle, not you, child." He answered.

"He is away, in town for the market."

Kayne sighed and looked towards the cloudless sky. "I haven't the time to wait for his return." He said, then turned to Sigrunn. "Tell her what you need, girl."

By this time she was just enjoying the exchange with a bemused look on her face. Blinking several times Sigrunn quickly found her voice and beamed cheerfully at the woman. Sliding off her old mare she gave her a loving pat before turning back to them, "Ah, yes. Hello there!" she glanced between the two before continuing, [color]"Well, Kayne here seems to be in need of fabric to cover all of-"[/color] she paused to gesture wildly in the air at his massive build. "that. And I happen to be the best cloth maker around. So I proposed a trade....I need hair to make my wares and in exchange I'll either supply him in cloth for free or at a discount. Depending on what we can work out." Sigrunn sighed at the end of her slightly long winded explanation. This would actually be her first steady trade if they could come to an agreement. Kayne was a man of great statue. There wasn't many she had come across of such build and he'd need many bolts of cloth. As long as she could produce enough to cover him and still peddle her goods for coin or goods she'd be set.

"Seems like your the lass to talk too. Id use Alegia if she wasn't so far past her prime. I need thick, strong fibers to weave into fabric. Like on that mare that just bucked you off," Sigrunn clenched the loose reigns beside her, "The stronger the spirit the stronger the material as my mother always said."

@SheriffLlama

Status
Not open for further replies.