Vigilance: Rise of the Mavericks [The Epic IC Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
A
s he drove through the night, IllAdvised's thoughts were disturbed by Glitch as the Artificial Intelligence broke the silence inside the vehicle's interior.

"Police report just came in, a van was found that had been crashed. Why it's of interest is that one of the bodies inside is the individual who reported our 'crazy bitch', seems he decided to try and get revenge on his own." Glitch explained as IllAdvised nodded.

"Assume control of the Predator, continue on our current course but when you reach the gym engage alblative armor and stealth mode. I don't need anyone noticing the car and alerting Locke that IllAdvised is running around the Lower East Side." Disengaging his seat belt, IllAdvised climbed out of the driver's seat and walked passed the still unconscious girl as he climbed into the covered truck bed. Saddling onto the Raptor, IllAdvised engaged the back door, reving the engine as he launched the three-wheeled motorcycle out the back of the heavily modified truck.

Hitting the road without any hesitation the bike peeled off towards the scene of the accident while IllAdvised tapped into the police scanner, listening for anything else in the vicinity.

"Emergency services were just notified of a wounded individual who requires medical attention barely a block from the scene of the crime." Glitch's voice spoke in IllAdvised's ear as she patched herself into the cowl.

"Noted." He replied. "Directing control of the Raptor to you, scan the scene of the crash if the police have already moved on. If not, rendez-vous with me as soon as possible." IllAdvised ordered as he ejected him from the bike, the wings on the back of his suit extending to allow him a moment to launch his cable before he grappled to the top of a nearby building. Running from roof top to roof top, IllAdvised abandoned the bike in order to take a direct route to the scene of the wounded man. Watching from the roof top, emergency services had yet to arrive and the man remained slumped against a wall injured as Glitch had said.

Raising a hand to the side of his cowl, IllAdvised scanned the alley with a ray of ultraviolet light. Magnifying the ground near the man, he picked up the faintest trail of blood droplets which at least gave him a direction to follow. Jumping from the higher rooftop, he glided down to a lower one before somersaulting across the gap and continued along the provided path. Blending into the shadows as he came across two figures below, IllAdvised amplified the audio on his cowl, eavesdropping on those below.

"Where angels fear to tread, we fools come rushing in."

"You'll find the Angel in this city has no fear." His steely voice rang out in the darkness, as IllAdvised descended to the ground. His gruff brooding nature hiding his surprise at the new player in the field. Based on his cowl's readings, the blood belonged to him not the 'crazy bitch' he thought he had been tracking. It would probably be best if the others didn't find out about that.

"It would seem we all have common... goals." He began, stepping fully out of the shadows, his face completely concealed beneath the crimson cowl. An ominous hood pulled over his head making the pale vermilion glow of the eyes that much more eerie in the dim light of the alley. The dark blue trench coat almost seemed to reject the light, cloaking IllAdvised in a shroud of darkness. Turning to the girl who had named herself Fury, IllAdvised spoke.

"Your exploits have caught our attention Fury." He said before turning to the man who had identified himself as Raja. "And it would seem you can handle yourself as well."

[collaboration between Lord Wraith, Blacksam and Raja]

Lisa was thankful for the mask, as it stopped Raja from seeing her bright blush when he kissed her palm. She though only regal princes greeted women like that. Then again, she'd never met anyone who fitted the description 'regal prince' better than he did, so maybe she wasn't entirely wrong. Either way, she was horrendously flattered at the gesture, and couldn't help smiling to herself. Whatever would her daddy think.

The grin grew ever larger at his 'angels and fools' comment, thinking just how apt it was. Though she fell pretty firmly into the latter camp, of that she was sure. No arguing with it really, after tonight's earlier misadventures. She was trying to come up with a likewise memorable reply, and probably about to fail in the task, when she was robbed of the chance.

Her hackles went up as the new, strange voice sounded. As a half glimpsed figure dropped into the alley she dropped into the loose approximation of what a completely untrained amateur might think a proper fighting stance looks like, halfway between a Bruce Lee slouch and a James Brown swagger, determined she wasn't going to be surprised again tonight.

Then the figure stepped into the light, and all thoughts of fighting fled her mind. In fact it would be fair to say that all thought in general deserted her at the sight of the hooded figure, dark blue trenchcoat waving slightly in the wind, like some kinda, well, superhero. She knew who it was instantly. How could she not, she had a scrap book filled with pictures of all his known appearances. It was fair to say that she was his biggest fan.

"IllAdvised," She managed to stammer, back to that tiny squeek she had used when first meeting Raja. Only this time she didn't care. This time she hardly noticed. Her whole body had gone slack, gripped by a bizarre numbness that she would have struggled to describe if she had a mind too. It was all she could do to keep the balance to stay on her feet while trying to decide if this was a dream or not.

Then he said her name, and she decided it was definitely a dream, the best one she'd ever had.

"You know who I am? You know who I am. You know WHO I AM!" With each repetition she became louder and more excited, even moreso than when she met Raja. Speaking of Raja she spun towards him, grabbed his shoulder's, thrust her masked face into his before screaming, "HE KNOWS WHO I AM! ILLADVISED KNOWS WHO I AM!" Suddenly she hopped away, bouncing towards the hooded Maverick.

"OHMYGAWDOHMYGAWDOHMYGAWD, YOUKNOWWHOIAM! IKNOWHOYOUARE,OBVIOUSLY! HOWDOYOUKNOWME, ARETHEOTHERMAVERICKSNEARBY, AREYOUONACASE, CANIGETYOURAUTOGRAPH!?!" At that last part she realized what she was saying, and a change came over her so sudden and so extreme that it could probably have given IllAdvised and Raja whiplash if they were watching too closely. Like a balloon with a hole she deflated, all the energy running down out through the soles of her boots, leaving her slumped dejectedly in front of her hero. She couldn't believe how childishly she'd acted, in front of Raja too! IllAdvised knew who she was, and she became a squeeling fangirl! He was going to think she was an idiot, or worse, a stalker.

"Urghhhhh. . . " She groaned quietly, stealing a glance towards Raja, like a silent appeal for help. Or maybe it was an appeal for him to kill her now before it was too late. She wasn't sure, and really didn't care. Either would be appreciated.

Raja, on the other hand, was not quite as excited as his new friend. He had been caught off guard by the cloaked man's sudden arrival, seeming to drop from the skies and into the shadows with a mind full of information he shouldn't possess. Raja had to wonder... Did this man share the same abilities as him? It would certainly explain his seemingly endless knowledge. But then again, Raja knew what this part of town was like. Eyes and ears on every corner.

He had watched Fury's facade unfurl with a wry smile that masked his alarm just as effectively as the headgear the other two characters wore. This 'IllAdvised' chap, whoever he was, seemed to have quite the reputation, if Fury's current state was anything to go by. It was not like Raja's posture ever needed correcting, but he mentally poised himself. If he was around celebrity, he would make sure to leave a good impression.

It was as if Raja's efforts to remain presentable had drained the surrounding area of tact. Raja was shocked as Fury pulled him close, wailing something into his face before bouncing over to IllAdvised and rambling like some child possessed. This time, Raja's smile was genuine. He knew he should probably intervene, but in that moment there was little he could do. The girl was too far gone; and she seemed to realise it, shooting Raja a glance he was able to translate roughly as "HELP ME".

His long lips curled into a coy grin, and he cleared his throat to attract IllAdvised's attention. He stepped gracefully along the concrete as he approached the man, trying to make eye-contact. Raja was reluctant to ask questions of this strange character he knew so little about, yet who seemed to know a fair deal about him. It made him feel vulnerable, and so if he had to cheat a little to get the upperhand... Well, he wasn't above it.

It didn't matter, though. As Raja drew closer, he realised that IllAdvised was wearing some sort of goggles that obscured Raja's view of his eyes. Typical...

"A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Advised," Raja said with a slight grin, before extending his hand to the man shrouded in darkness, keeping his eyes locked on those orange shields as he gently kissed the back of the man's gloved hand. "I don't believe I know who you are." he admitted, standing tall once again. "Though, it would seem that my friend has a vague idea." he added, shooting a playful glance at Fury.

"It is fair to say I have a few tricks up my sleeve," he confessed. "But a good magician never reveals his secrets..." he purred, a mischievous glint in his eye. "At least, not on the first date."

As he awaited a response from the pair, Cal couldn't help but notice a spike in Fury's heartrate as the girl reacted to his prescence. Within seconds she had gone from ready to strike out at the voice to a display of excitement that would put the Larissa Panthers touchdown dances to shame.

"I'm actually out here looking for you." IllAdvised answered in a reply to Fury once she had calmed down. Turning his attention towards Raja, IllAdvised wasn't quite sure what to make of the man he had found with Fury. He didn't seem to be a threat, that said neither had Allison when the Mavericks had first encountered her. But if he was a willing ally then IllAdvised wasn't going to turn him away, though it would be against every one of his instincts to simply give the man an invite into their lives.

"Glitch, I need a facial recognition run on Raja. Find me everything you can.​" He ordered inside the cowl, the voice inaudible to those standing in front of him. As Raja greeted him, Cal's first thought upon having the back of his hand kissed was thoughts of concern for the cleanliness of the gloves. It's not like he had washed the suit after the tussle with Tony and his gang, there was a ninety five percent that Raja had just touched his lips against the blood of a petty drug dealer.

"Raja Saputra." Came Glitch's response in IllAdvised's ear. "Had some media attention three years ago, he's known to be a wealthy socialite, no criminal backgrounds or associations that I can attain." Glitch added as she finished a quick run down of the man before IllAdvised.

"As you have already gathered my name is IllAdvised." IllAdvised answer, his mouth guard opening revealling the chiseled chin, a thick layer of dark stuble covered the skin surrounding his mouth as the stuble continued on beneath the mask. "I am the leader of the Mavericks and as far as I can tell you're both rather gifted." He paused examining both of the individuals before them, his eyes and cowl scanning them as he looked for any cues in their body language or heart rate. Neither seemed to be threatened by his presence and that was always a good start. "However it's not because you're gifted that I came looking for you, it's because of what you've chosen to do with those gifts. We'd like to ask you to ally yourselves with the Mavericks, to join our crusade, our mission to take down the criminal empire that cripples this city, sucking the marrow from its bones." IllAdvised said as he opted to skip right to the point. He didn't see any benefit in beating around the bush.

"I understand if you don't wish to get involved, word of our demise was quite exaggerated. However if you are interested I would be happy to have either one of you, or both join among our ranks." He added awaiting the replies from Fury and Raja.

Now she was certain she was dreaming, because this was hers come true.

"Yes!" Lisa blurted, almost before IllAdvised had even finished, though this time she wasn't ashamed of her outburst, far from it. Her excitement levels had been building back up since he had started speaking, starting when he said he'd been out her looking for her and peaking when he asked her to ally with Mavericks. Become one of them. Her! Lisa Walker, soon to be Fury of the Mavericks. She beamed so brightly that even behind her mask it was a wonder she didn't light up the street.

She could hardly believe that they noticed her, heck not just noticed her but decided she was 'gifted'. All she'd done was taken that creep Billy down a peg or two, and he'd deserved that so completely it was a really a surprise no one had ever done it before. She would have thought that her careless mistakes far outweighed whatever benefit she might offer to the veteran super-team. Then again, who was she to argue with their decision, they were the experts!

"The Mavericks are my inspiration. If it wasn't for you all I would never have got the courage to do this, to become Fury. Of course I'll join you, and I promise you wont regret asking!" She nodded vigourously, as if that would reinforce the point, before swinging her eager eyes towards Raja.

Raja paused for a moment at the proposal. It didn't surprise him that Fury was so eager to accept, not least when she admitted that the Mavericks had served as some sort of muse for her; prompting her to stalk the streets at night and do... Whatever heroic deeds she was supposed to be doing, he assumed. But Raja was not quite so immediately taken with the idea of allying himself with the group of so-called vigilantes. Of course, he'd heard of the Mavericks. Perhaps he'd heard too much about them, in honesty; they always seemed to be involved in some sort of scandal. In fact, it was almost inevitable that whenever something seedy happened in Larissa, these guys were somehow in on the action. The last Raja had heard, they were all dead. He mused that this evening must be akin to some sort of holy resurrection for the Jesus of the group who stood before him.

As though he knew what Raja had been thinking, IllAdvised added that the media tended to over-egg the pudding when it came to breaking news on the Mavericks. Perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad idea after all; it would certainly help him make a bigger difference than he was currently. But no; Raja was supposed to be keeping a low profile. The Mavericks were public figures, and if word reached his pursuers that he was here in North Carolina...

...He'd have a whole gang of hyperhuman vigilantes by his side. Suddenly, the idea seemed all-the-more appealing.

"I accept." he said finally, the words he chose to break the length silence being much more succint than the spiel Fury had recited. But he liked her; another perk of taking up this opportunity was that it meant he would get to know the woman behind the mask. Though, he had a sneaking suspicion that what he found wouldn't be all that shocking.

Nodding in acknowledgemeant to both of their responses, IllAdvised scanned their figures until his cowl located a cellphone on their persons, Glitch easily accessing their SIM cards as she messaged them an address and a time. Overriding the cellphones so that they both beeped upon receiving the message, a small smirk appeared on solemn face.

"You'll find a text message on both your phones from a blocked number. Don't focus too much on that part, the number doesn't exist. That message contains an address encoded in longitude and latitute coordinates, you should be able to fairly easily locate it and I would do so quickly, the message is set to auto delete within the next three hours." Glitch's anonymous text messages were always equipped with a half life virus, IllAdvised couldn't risk the text falling into the wrong hands and while normally he would have put more of a code into the message he didn't want to test the recruits, at least not tonight. That part would come later.

"If you'll excuse me." He began, the roar of an engine echoing down the alley as the Raptor sped towards the trio. "I have another candidate to talk to." IllAdvised concluded, the thrusters on the back of his boots firing as he backflipped onto the saddle of the three wheeled motorcycle. "See you tomorrow night." He said as his mouth cover slid shut. "Oh and Raja, consider thinking of an alias. We can't have you being Facebook searchable." He added before peeling out into the street again.

Raja blinked a couple of times in quiet disbelief as IllAdvised sped off down the alley on some sort of motorbike. He'd always considered himself to be particularly careful with his phone, ensuring it was properly protected and encrypted by the best in the business. Clearly, his information wasn't airtight to an organisation like the Mavericks. The thought unnerved him.

IllAdvised parting words rang in Raja's head, and he scowled. "An alias?" he grumbled, audibly displeased with the situation. "That's so... 2007." he said, frowning convincingly before flashing a roguish grin at Fury. "I guess I'll be seeing you around, Fury." he said cooly, before sauntering off down an alley. Without waiting for a response, his silhouette dissipated into the shadows; the deliberate click-clack of heel on concrete diminishing into the blackness with him, leaving little evidence he had ever been present at all.

Reactions: Ai and Lord Wraith
A Clash of Bone and Boldness, a Dance of the Beast and the Savage, and when the Oak Bested the Corrupted Earth: A Collaboration between Stein and Roman

Aava was almost...enjoying herself. She leaped again, pulling in energy from all the memories and living beings that ebbed from the city below and allowing the Nox to flow from the air into her carvings and through her hands, molding it into cushions of air that held her aloft. She glided gracefully onto the next roof, and the Lighthouse looked closer than ever, the sun behind it shooting golden rays skyward, and Aava could feel the gold reaching out to her. She pushed her body forwards, redoubling her efforts and steeling her nerves against the screams from her calves. She ran, she jumped, threw herself into the air, pulled Nox in, pushed Nox out, began her glide-

Something sharp and icy slid between her ribs in mid-air and pushed a hole into her sides and all her Nox poured out, pulled on a string out of her veins and her runes. The air chusions faltered and popped and Aava tumbled, the next rooftop too far - the ground was coming up fast and she panicked, beginning to fall at least four stories, the world seeming to flash past her while simultaneously slowing down by half. She scrambled for Nox, pulling energy from the very bricks that flew up past her, and managed to re-seize the cushion's she'd lost up above; she threw them down, crude magic cast quickly, and she felt the gust as she reached the ground, slowing her descent. She landed hard, tumbling and turning over - something in her wrist snapped, and she could feel blood on her face - but she didn't land fatal.

The magic had worked as much as it had needed to. Aava breathed heavy, laying on her stomach, before pushing herself up onto her knees by her un-injured arm, cradling the broken wrist close to her chest. She panted from the exertion, pain coursing through her system, and then doubled over to vomit. "What the fuck." she muttered to herself, still reeling from the Nox rushing out of her body - she had almost lost it all, reduced back to what she had been over a decade ago, before she even knew about her bloodline. Powerless. Fragile. Worthless. She felt it coming back now, gingerly, cautiously, refilling her marks and rejuvenating her body. She took a breath and grasped her broken wrist, holding it in her free hand as she concentrated. Nox ebbed out from her palm and the pain in her wrist subsided - Aava flexed her fingers, and the pain stabbed back, dull and warm. Temporary. It would need proper medical attention - or more Nox than she could pull right now. Why couldn't she pull right now?

Then she heard the screams. Oh, god, that scream.

No. She thought, pushing herself to her feet, putting one leg in front of the other and stumbling to the corner of the building, giving herself a full view of the street - of the woman fleeing a run-down old warehouse, before being struck from behind and collapsing, dead before she hit the ground; of the stranger, watching the same events but with an air of responsibility, of authority, of obligation; and then she saw the thing that had killed the woman.

'Oh, god no.'

Feral's body slid into action, seemingly of its own accord, his mind simply following the action. It vaulted over the ledge of the building, feet resting against the wall of the building and Makarios willed within him the harmony between his mind, Nox and the vigor of the Horse. It hit him, wild yet focused, echoing the tranquility and serenity of a wide plain. He narrowed in on his target. The bestial demon before him, just looking up to take in its firsth breath of the night air.

Not while Feral stood near. He resolved to make sure that creatures breaths were numbered. He sensed nothing but chaotic Nox inside of it, broiling and gurgling to lap at an unstable surface.

Feral flexed his fingers, feeling his specially reinforced claws slide out from their compartments in his gloves. He kicked off the building, his legs taut with with Equine power. A few bricks shuddered as he launched himself off, claws extended. It was only an instant before those claws found their home nestled in the chest of the demon. Makarios brought the demon down, his costumed form bringing the thing down.They tumbled a few rolls before the creature swatted at Makarios. He caught the blow, refusing to let go and brought his hand up to stab down, claws poised to eviscerate. The thing let out a roar, sending a wave of Nox out from it that thrust Makarios back.

Landing hard on his back, Makarios struggled to find his sense of direction in pinpointing which was was up. Everything spun and spun violently. He shook his head, to no avail, a ringing still settling in his ears. It was with a labored look that he focused on his target.

"You've got more to you than that demonic bloodlust? That's oddly surprising..." his voice trailed off as a scent hit him full force. His head could barely follow his nose and eyes as they turned to meet the source of the smell he'd been tracking just moments ago.

There she stood, he could smell it was her with not doubt. He managed a small smile in her direction. "Well, I hate to ask but, you wouldn't happen to have any means of helping, would you?"

Aava watched as the stranger pounced onto what she recognised as an avatar, a word that twisted her insides. Clawed gloves found flesh and drew blood, but the thing didn't care about blood, barely cared about the flesh. The flesh was a host, a weak and malevolent one at that. Whoever it was must have been a real bastard. Aava wondered what that meant for her. She shook it off and then the thing released Nox, and it soaked into her skin fast and thick, and she doubled over, dry-retching, the rush of Nox filling her up. The aura lingered, sloughing off the monstrous figure as it stood back up - but a smaller stream was leaking from the stranger. Another Nox user? Three in one night...coincidence? She doubted it.

The stranger addressed her, smirking slightly as he did so. She returned a hard, cold stare.
"Shut up. Pay attention to that thing or we'll both die, and we won't be the last." She carefully moved closer, edging around the aura of the beast as it began to advance on them. "Listen carefully. You cannot beat it into submission. It will take your Nox and kill you. Look at the lines." She said, holding out her own arm and pulling up her sleeve to show her scars, near-identical to the avatar's. "I need to get close, but its power saps mine. If we pull this off, you put your hand right here-" she tapped the back of her head, where an intricate circular runic design lay etched into her scalp- "and do whatever it is you do with Nox, as hard as you can. It'll hurt." The beast was almost upon them, waves of copper-like nausea washing over Aava as it moved closer. She looked the stranger in the eyes, fury and fear burning equally in her gaze. "Can you do that?"

Makarios gave her a questioning gaze. The female was about what he expected from a full-fledged Magni in the area of personability. But then again, not everyone was as used to adrenaline-infused danger as he was. It took a certain mixture of insanity to live the life he did, and he had to admit, it was a little difficult settling back into the groove of properly gauging situations.

But as the creature neared, he heeded the intent behind her words: 'Stay sharp, or get killed.' His earlier impact hadn't even seemed to affect the creature, only surprise and enrage it. Admittedly, that probably hadn't been the best response. But, he'd also gotten a taste of the bestial nature wihin it. It was much more feral and malcious than anything housed within him and he knew from observing it that it lay outside the realm of simple animals. However, there was still a slight familiarity he could senese within the thing. No longer human, nor anything of this world for that matter, Makarios still saw something he could work with.

"Duly noted," Makarios told her, in reference to her observation of his rather upfront and brutish first tussle with the creatre. HIs nose was assaulted with waves of decaying flesh and a putrid aroma that seemed to rise from the core of the thing. "I'm used to pain. Pain is nothing. Just make sure you can handle it."

As he spoke, counting the precious seconds until they would have to act, he struck the tone of his being and felt the wave wash over him, sending a slight shudder down his spine. It took a breath, but he was able to pick up on the tone of another of his animals. Scenes of lush expanses and green grasses tickled his mind, an air of peace so contrary to his current situation threatened to overtake him, but he resisted synchronizing to that extent. Power, grace, agility and speed flooded him as he settled into the spirit and functions of the Deer. The wispy outline of the elegant creature appeared around him and vanished, leaving his eyes with a slight violet hue.

"Let's go." Flexing his claves, he bounded and leaped forward, seeming to take the beast head on. However, he tucked his head down, morphing into a tumble, having predicted the demon's first strike. Rolling under the claw strike, Makarios sunk his own claws into the gravel, using the leverage to pull himself to the side, narrowly avoiding the next strike the beast swung with his whole body. Feral came to his feet with enough time to dash behind the still reeling demon, delivering a quick swipe of his claws to the things legs to remind it where it should keep its focus.

He needed to keep its attention drawn, fully committing to being the bait and punching bag. As the thing turned on Makarios, it let out a mixture between a wail and a roar and Makarios felt a wave of Nox resonate with a vicious fervor, stopping him in his tracks. His measured tone of Nox spiked and sharpened, almost severing his connection with the Deer mid-synchronization. Makarios stopped mid-dodge and the creatrue swatted at him. Feral only had just enough time to dig his feet into the ground and catch a brunt of thei mpact. As the thing struck him, Maki grabbed on to its arm, pulling it down with him. He proceeded to subdue the thing, wrapping his legs around its lower torso and grappling it.

He tapped into his Nox, hoping to release a wave of it, a sort of magical padding against the wave of chaotic Nox that threatened to rattle his mind. It worked --somewhat-- but as the thing let out another wave of Nox, this one like a burst of energy, Maki almost lost control of his Nox altogether. He could feel intense pain from nameless woes and countless souls. They each cried out in the body of the chaotic Nox-waves. Each piece of pain served as an individual blade cutting through Makarios and his connection to his powers. He cried out as well before letting go and scrambling to kick the demon from him.

So far, his methods for distracting were working. He shook his head, hoping to calm the fury in his mind of shifting waves of animal cries, impulses and levels of bloodlust. The demon shooks its head, regaining its focus, preparing for a round two.

Pain is nothing. She scoffed, recoiling at the boast. Pain is everything. There would be plenty of it by the time they were done here. More if they were unsuccessful.
"Alright then, Registered Badass #806." She muttered as he focused, a spectral deer flashing about his person as he seemed to tune himself with Nox. He became clear, pure, the Nox about his person seeming sharper, crisper somehow, like his magic was tempered by something else, something she'd never known. It was intoxicating, and she felt like she could breathe his aura until the day she died - and then he sprung into action, and she snapped herself out of it. She needed to move too.

Mr. Badass moved with fluency, ducking under the beast's blows and enraging the damned thing. It roared a few more times, unleashing Nox as it did so - strong but stupid, Aava thought, too thick to use itself as a shield, rather than a weapon. She could feel its aura get smaller everytime a new wave washed over her, even if it was only marginal. The nausea was still there, but it was manageable - or maybe she was just used to it. At least I never have to worry about shellfish again. She was close now. Her temporary ally had near-stunned it, and she had managed to circle around behind it. She brought her Nox around herself, thick and cloying - a two-part spell of attraction and defense. The first part worked. She kept her fingers crossed for the second.

The avatar caught her scent and lumbered around, following the heady scent of her magic. It faced her and she caught its gaze and those eyes, god, those eyes, white pits of endless knowing and raw power...something inside her shivered. Something else clicked.

"Fuck you." She hissed, and pushed herself forward, arms outstretched. Her hands hit the avatar's chest and for a split-second, both of their carvings seemed to flash...and then Aava surged. She felt power, she had knowledge. The world was outlines and voids, colour from auras. Her eyes glowed lilac-white, and a dark purple seemed to fill her core. She felt the beast pushing against her from his side of the bridge and part of her wanted to push back - but that wasn't what she was here for. Aava pulled. Nox flowed into her like a waterfall, filling up her carvings before spilling over into her mind, energising her body. She turned her head to look at her ally, and suddenly his name was written in her skin.
"Makarios. Now."

His newfound ally moved quickly, before he had a chance to register her actions in his dizzied state. But as his vision singled out, what unfolded before him left him agape.

The demon before him stopped mid-wail of aggression and his head snapped around, frenzied eyes now focusing on her. The outpouring of Nox caught Makarios --and apparently the creature-- by surprise. It's density and richness something that was new to him. He gritted his feet and felt the unstable side of him lap up the bits of energy it could. He didn't understand the gravity of her task until their bodies met and the surge of power almost knocked him back.

This is the power of a pure Magni!? he thought as trickling and lapping of leaked Nox surrounded him, tingling his senses and stimulating his skin.

Vivid images flooded his mind, along with chaotic impulses and spikes of bloodlust. There were tastes of insanity and sounds of frenzied delight. He saw flashes of her staring in a mirror, a scowl of rebellion on her face. He felt the first mark, the first carving in her skin. In her eyes, Makarios could feel her Nox. This Nox was old: solid and powerful, filled with memories--like a dark, rich oak, as compared to his light and sturdy, tinged with an exotic earthy nature --bamboo like Nox.

Dustings of power and fragments of omnipotence filled his being randomly and in flashes. Makarios focused to remain him purely and surely. Before him, the woman and beast seemed connected, an internal war of detrimental proportinos raging in their enclosed spaces. She glowed with an ethreal beauty, terrifying and alluring to the eyes simultaneously. The thing shifted in an out of focus, seeming to slip from this reality to another. Surrounding them, the defined amalgamation of their energies radiated out in forceful waves.

Feral began to feel her drive and determination. He--no she-- moved not only from magical energy, but from the sheer energy of determination and defiance. He felt the isolation, but felt the power from the solidity of her being. Makarios began seeing as she did through her life, losing his own vision.

Makarios almost forgot his purpose for being in the vicinity. Until he heard his name.

He balked from the sound of it, pulled instantly to his senses. For a flash of an instant, he heard his mother and felt her. But he quickly saw his ally before him.

However, his mother creeped into his vision and flowed from him into her! Makarios felt the image of his mother, the warmth that came with her name and every thought, transfer to her. For a moment he balked and his defense soared, coming to his aid. He attempted to cut the magical cord, selfishly grabbing at the image of the only thing he'd loved so fervently and purely.

Until he realized she needed it. With an exhalation of resolve, Makarios gritted his teeth and pushed through the viscocious muck of flowing Nox.

Now, more than ever Makarios felt the will to help her, aid her in whatever way possible. Their connection only assured him of that. With a roar, he beat through the last wave of magical energy and stuck his hand out, pushing through the barrier of Nox surrounding her head, and placed it on the rune engraved into her scalp.

To do this, she would need every source of strength he had and his greatest strength was his new family, his home: the Mavericks. Makarios delved into himself and her, bestowing her with the cunning and mental fortitude he had garnered from Caleb. He flooded her spirit with the pure undeniable strength he saw in Angel everytime he set his mind to a task, a spirit that inspired Makarios. He even mixed in the chaotic and raw energy he had felt from Adam, any time he saw the synthoid in action. Finally--with some hesitation at first--he lended her the love he held for Xander, the thing that had brought him as far as it had.

With all of this, he felt his own unyielding and stout magical energy well to meet hers. It colored his vision, the purple and deep colors tinged with his browns of fortitude and orange burgandy's of feral power. A lightness washed over him as he sunk his serenity into her, knowing she could do this. She would overcome this mountain.

Makarios couldn't tell if Aava--he had finally garnered her name and it held a new weight in his heart-- and the creature had been battling on this magical level for a matter of moments or a matter of eons. It all felt the same to him, but in the midst of it, the energy began to ebb and suddenly, was sapped from the air. A silence wooshed in to meet them as the air settled and a collective exhale left Makarios and Aava.

Before him, Makarios saw the creature adopt a rigid stance, it's eyes agape and a silent cry leaving its mouth. The ink began to drip from its form, crstalizing into an obsidian and star-like dust that filled the air. In the cloud of darkness a cry--this one human--began to well up. But it was weak, the last vestiges of the dead man the dark avatar had found such fertile and viable soil in. On his skin, the marks began to dim, but not completely fade, and he slumped to the ground. A corpse once again.

Makarios found himself quickly as he felt the full weight of Aava began to teter toward the ground. He caught her and laid her down gingerly, studying her. Being honest with himself, he had no idea what had just happened. His Nox had almost acted on his own, but he could only hope that their endeavor had been successful. Her pulse fluttered and her breath was light. Makarios feared the worst.

Until a rush of air filled Aava's lungs and she opened her eyes. The light from before flew from them and was gone and her body slumped again. On her body, the markings seemed to writhe, a deep red lighting them. Appearing like living veins only in the realm of the carvings on her skin. Makarios placed his hand on one of the carving and it grew hot. How had she done this? He could tell just from pure observation that this would have killed him, but somehow...she was in one pice. Though she might not be for long if he didn't get her some medical attention.

He shoulded her weight with ease and softly tested his own powers, reaching his Nox out to the still settling animals within him. The Gazelle met him once more and Makarios felt himself traipsing back into a familiar realm.

He looked down at Aava. "Welcome to the Mavericks, my friend. I can assure you...this probably won't be the last time we have to rush you back to the base. It comes with the job. But...I get the feeling you need us almost as much as we need a soul like yours. Let's get you to safety." With a bound, Feral took off, intent on getting as far away from the site of destruction as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Collab between @YoshiSkittlez and @Lord Wraith

I
mages flashed and screams echoed through Roanna's head, but it was such a jumbled mess it was impossible to make heads or tails out of anything. Finally, the screaming died away and the carosel of flashing images came to a fading stop, shrouding her mind into complete darkness except now, she was starting to feel things. She felt cold. She felt panic. She felt... everything.

A dull light suddenly came into view over the top of her, the lightbulb flickering on and off as it either wasn't getting enough power or needed replacing. The view of the room changed, moving left to right as if Roanna were moving her head to look around, being in complete control.

The feeling of something frigid and hard became clear underneath her, her grey eyes looking down on herself to see that she was wearing nothing but a thin, white nightgown that did little for the cold in the air. She was inside, yes, as indicated by the flickering lightbulb above her, but the temperature was low enough to make Roanna theorize that she was in some sort of underground warehouse or even a meat locker without all the ice as it was nowhere to be found.

Looking down at her reflection in the cold, hard object underneath her, identified as a slab of stone she was sitting on that was the size of a hospital bed, the reflection gave her the image instead of a child, no older than four. The child's eyes stared intently back at her, somehow reaching past her own eyes and deep down into her being, tugging at her heartstrings in a strong attempt to grasp for her attention. They were her eyes. Roanna's eyes.

Looking away from the reflection, the perspective changed and the little girl took Roanna's place on the stone-like hospital bed, wearing the same thin, white nightgown Roanna had seen herself wearing sitting the exact same way she had been sitting. It was as though she were watching the little girl from afar now, taking up no space within the small room any longer but there was a connection of sorts, an understanding that she and the little girl were one in the same.

Roanna could feel her mouth moving on it's own accord, though not a single sound was uttered. She touched her fingertips to her lips, trying to get them to stop but the movements were not her own. The little girl turned her head to look straight at her, the child's lips moving in unison with Roanna's, but the child had a voice. It was small, quiet, reserved, frightened, but a voice nonetheless.

"Don't go."

Don't go? Where was she going? Was she dead, or dying? Was this what death was? No heaven or hell, just a cruel, empty shell of this little girl's life that Roanna was forced into watching over and over again, witnessing her suffer through things that she didn't even understand? She and the little girl were one and the same, but Roanna remembered nothing, it made no sense and yet, it answered everything.

The little girl extended out her hand to Roanna, trying to reach out and make contact. Her little fingers were shaking something violent and her wide, grey eyes had tears beginning to breach the surface though not a single one was shed. Roanna did not reach out to the girl in return, however, feeling that if she did, things would only get worse. A sense of dread started welling up in her stomach, continuously refusing to adhere to the childs' silent pleading for physical contact, something warm, nice and loving to be wrapped around her, to know that everything was going to be okay.

The child dropped her arm, giving up on trying to reach out to Roanna as the large tears began to fall and stain her cheeks. Her head dropped down into her hands, sobbing out loudly in complete fright; both the child and Roanna's lips moving though only the voice of the child came out in a frantic cry,

"HELP ME!"

The scene was gone with a whirl and Roanna's head filled with the screams and blurred images that had been there at the start, however it was clear now that the screams came from the child. Frantic. Frightened. Pained.

Roanna's unconscious form started to writhe around on the couch in restlessness, her soft voice letting slip quiet whimperings, her face screwing up in a pain that was not physically there. Eventually, her legs had moved around so much that the thin, matted blanket that had been draped over her to retain some body heat had been kicked off of her body, allowing her more freedom of movement as her wriggling about became a fraction more violent. Her hands balled up, clenching the cushion underneath her tightly, the sound of fabric sizzling somewhat hidden underneath a frantic, exhaled shout that put the rest of her small sounds to shame.

Her scorched, dark shirt was practically clinging to her like a second skin given the amount of sweat covering her entire body. She arched her back against the couch, hands anchoring her down by holding onto the cushion as she cried out again, hot tears streaming out of the corners of her closed eyes before letting her body fall back onto the couch hard. Her hands were immediately freed from the hold she had on the cushion as the fabric had been burned through from the heat her hands were expelling, two almost perfect circular holes on each side of her where she had been holding on, completely singed through.

The gym was dark, the pale light of the moon outside fluttered in through the broken panels in the glass. Dust was highlighted in the beams of light as Cal looked around the room before turning his attention to the girl suddenly as she began to toss and turn in her unconcious state. His cowl's scanners were tracking her cognitive abilities, the movement of her eyelids in particular had caught Cal's attention.

"Gaging by the activity behind the eyes, she appears to be dreaming." He muttered to Glitch whose visage merely nodded in IllAdvised's heads up display. "Temperature levels are spiking, Glitch scan her face and run a cross check for her I.D. If she's having a nightmare then I'm going to need to be able to calm her down when she wakes up."

"Already on it Boss!" Came the immediate reply from the Artificial Intelligence.

Noting the scorch marks at the girl's hands as the burned into the aged couch, Cal began to theorize about how her abilities worked as he switched the cowl to infrared vision, studying the pulsing heat signatures as they passed through the girl. "The heat originates from her core before radiating through her. Her body is effectively a power plant, and a lot of power at that. Glitch these heat levels would vapourize any other person yet she's able to internally contain and moderate the output." Chuck continued as he changed his scan intensity. "Glitch, analyze for metallic materials." Chuck said noticing an irregularity in the girl's abdomenal.

"Shouldn't you... oh I don't know, wake her up and ask permission?" Glitch asked with a mocking tone as she reminded Cal there was certain social protocals in the way of his quest for scientific discovery.

"I suppose that would be polite." Cal muttered as produced smelling salts from his belt before activating a shield around him. "Just in case you know." He added with cracking a slight smirk before waving the substance under the girl's nose.

The smelling salts worked like a charm. The sudden release of ammonia gas began to irritate the membrane of her nose nd lungs, forcing the small girl to inhale upon reflex. The sudden change pulled Roanna quickly from her sleep, her grey eyes snapping open, however her mind was unable to gather so quickly what had happened.

Confused, disoriented and bringing forth her fright and panic from the dream she had just undergone, Roanna simply felt the presense of another closeby. Quickly after that, she recognized she was back in her gym, which meant the prospect of someone in the room with her was all the more terrifying. She screamed out again, though the terror had her throat closing in, rendering the sound almost mute. She quickly sat up on the couch, using her feet to frantically push her back into the arm as far away from the stranger as she could go until the barrier had her stopped.

Like a broken floodgate, memories of her evening came back to her and though she tried to push it far, far from her mind, she could still taste the metal from the barrel of the gun that had been forced into her mouth before she lost consciousness. It was incredibly hard to see the man that stood at the foot of the couch, though she dare not use her powers to light the room. He may have been one of the thugs, come to finish her off... but then... how would they have known about her gym?

She threw her head down into her hands, pulling up her legs a bit higher so her knees were pressed to her chin. At some point that night, the hair tie she used to keep her hair back had either burned up, or broke, making her dark brown hair curtain both sides of her face as though she were trying to hide behind it.

"Go away!" She sobbed, pleading, trying to hunch herself into an even smaller target. "Please, just go away!"

"Easy." Cal said as he stepped out of the shadows, lowering the faceguard from his mask as he exposed his chin. Pausing he whispered to Glitch.

"Did you get that name?​"

"Roanna Sanne." Came Glitch's reply in his ear as Cal continued to speak to the girl.

"Roanna, my name is IllAdvised, but you may know me as the leader of the Mavericks." He paused, his eyes studying her as they flicked back and forth from his eyes to the cheeks, to her throat as he tried to gauge her biological responses to his words. "I'm not here to harm you, I'm not here to threaten you, I'm here to offer you a chance."

Kneeling down in front of the girl, Cal couldn't help but think of Bliss out there somewhere laughing at the gruff and brooding leader of the Mavericks having to appear soft in order to comfort the girl the team wished to recruit.

"You have a talent and more importantly you've chosen to train yourself in order to use that talent to benefit the city. That's what we do and together we can make a greater difference." He paused as he stood up again and held out a hand to the girl. "Roanna, I'm offering you a chance to join the Mavericks, there's safety in numbers and together we'd be a greater force against wiping the scum off the streets of this city."

She had asked him to go away, and yet he drew closer. She didn't have to be able to see to know what he was doing. The creaking in the loose floorboards gave him away easy enough. The muscles in her body began to ache from shaking so much, but that didn't stop her from coming out of her closed-off position on the couch to place her hand on it's back, using the strength in her thin legs to vault herself over the furniture, putting a barrier between the two of them.

He knew her name. How the shit did he know her name?

She could feel her heart hammering against her chest, her adrenaline levels spiking to near dangerous levels given her body didn't have very much left to give. But with the couch serving as a sort of obstical between herself and the strange man, a slight amount of ease worked it's way into her, allowing her mind a moment's rest to think back on what it was that the man was actually saying to her.

"...Ill... Advised... Scheiße." Roanna's body shifted slightly upon recognition. Of course everyone and their mother knew who IllAdvised and The Mavericks were in this shithole city - what they could do, what they did do. Or at least, what they used to do. Standing up a bit straighter so that more than her head and shoulders could be seen over the back of the couch, Roanna shook her head a bit, unbelieving.

"No... IllAdvised- The Mavericks... no one has seen or heard from them in months... they're supposed to be dead... tot."

"Only a month actually." IllAdvised interjected. "I suppose that too, like the tales of our demise has been exaggerated." He paused, gathering his thoughts before continuing as he paced back and forth in front of Roanna. "While we lost half our team, the rest of us retreated underground in an engineered bid to make the city, or more specifically the reigning crime lord believe that he had in fact defeated us. But he hasn't and we like the proverbial phoenix, we have risen from our own ashes, stronger than ever."

A beep suddenly came from Roanna's phone as IllAdvised looked towards her.
"Coordinates and a time have been sent to you, don't bother with the blocked number as it doesn't exist." Taking a step back IllAdvised continued to speak. "The invitation was mine to give but the choice to accept is yours alone to make, I hope to see you tomorrow night." With those final words IllAdvised disppeared into the shadows of the gym as he exited the building. The roar of the large vehicle outside could be heard as the vigilante took off into the night.

Scheiße - Shit
Tot - Dead​

Reactions: Ai and Stein
His legs imbued with the power of the strongest forest Deer, Makarios flew along the rooftops of his city. Aava, thank the heavens, had leveled her breathing and seemed to be in a state of steady unconsciousness. However, Makarios could feel the the Nox shifting in her. He gingerly reached out with his own, hoping to ascertain her deeper state. What met him was an imperfect amalgamation of her stout and nostalgic magical energy and the malicious --near frightening-- dark magical energy of the creature they had bested. That maddening Nox was hungry, lapping at every bit of her magical energy it could. But by a control and resilience far beyond Maki's her own Nox was holding it at bay. Slowly yet surely, her Nox was breaking down bits of the madness and malice laced in the volatile Nox, converting it somewhat. But it had to be taxing, especially considering her depleted and unconscious state.

In that moment, instead of shying away from her, Makarios felt more connected to her than ever.

He could certainly relate to an internal cacophony of forces battling it out within him. He stopped, nearing the base and greeting the familiar smell of sea salt and fish with a sigh of relief. The sight of their base and sound of ever-shifting waters filled him with homebound strength. He shifted her weight on his back inhaling deeply. Within him, his own Nox welled, a spirit of earth and all that was nature. He attempted to tinge it with his own feral nature and let it radiate to her. His aim was to give her own Nox a little more fighting and wild spirit. Something to fuck the day up of whatever that dark Nox truly was. Maybe, just maybe, his efforts would make hers even slightly easier.

"Aava, I know we've only met this night. But, I believe in you. This is fight that you will not lose. It's simply not within you to submit to the whim of such a fickle and sub-par force. Fight and win!" he whispered to her, squeezing her legs slightly in a show of solidarity, support and belief. It was all he could do now, but he felt sure that it might help.

---

Entering their base, Makarios spoke up. "Glitch!"

Within the base, their resident AI could appear almost anywhere, thanks to the holographic interfaces Cal had devoted to planting around the base. Her form materialized in front of him, concern already emulated on her face. "What's happened?" She narrowed her eyes at him. "I couldn't track you with your comm conveniently deactivated. Especially on so sensitive a mission, Makarios. Your vitals are--"

"This isn't the time," he growled, nodding his head to Aava who still rested on his back. "My comm must have been overridden by the Nox, not by choice."

"Is this..?"

"Yes, our new recruit, and the reason why you don't have reports of a demonic monster eviscerating people left and right. She's got Maverick mettle in her, Glitch." Makarios began making his way to the medical bay, Glitch's form gliding alongside of him. "And dammit if she doesn't have a stubbornness that would put Thomas to shame. You've got to help her, get her stabilized and rested. There's something going on inside of her, but I'm not sure how much help I can be."

"Without a doubt. Set her on the bed and I'll run scans. However, I'm not sure how much help I'll be in the magical department. Cal's equipment hasn't progressed far enough to do more than simple detection. And even that is based on other variable factors besides actually detecting the presence of this Nox energy." Glitch switched to the medical monitor in the brightly lit room, machines beginning to whir to life and a holographic mark-up of Aava's body appearing.

"That's fine, I....I think I might be able to tap into her and maybe help her out. She's got a war of magical energies going. My mother only taught me basic things when it comes to interacting with someone's internal Nox, but I think I might be able to fill in a few blanks. However, I've got a body to deal with first."

"I'm sorry....what!?" The machines paused in their tasks as Glitch focused all of her attention on Makarios. "Maki--what is happening with y--"

"Don't start, Glitch. I'll be back. Take care of her," Makarios commanded as he turned to head back out.

Reactions: YoshiSkittlez
[DROP]T[/DROP]he Predator tore down the streets of Larissa as IllAdvised removed his uniform while Glitch safely guided the vehicle through the low volume traffic of the city's early morning hours. Pressing a button on his cellphone, Cal summoned his personal car as Glitch took control of it, putting the muscle car on a rendez-vous with the Predator. Having recruited everyone on their list plus another, Cal felt he and the rest of the Mavericks deserved to turn in for the night. Heck from the sounds of it, they had all busted a few skulls along the way so that was always a bonus.

"IllAdvised, Feral just dropped off one of the recruits." Glitch's voice suddenly filled the interior of the Predator. "However the problem is not exactly medical, it's magical."

"So there's no problem." IllAdvised's reply came relatively unconcerned. "It's likely a mind over matter issue. Keep the girl under observation and report in when you have results, whether inconclusive or not."

"Angel, mission accomplished for today. Head home, get some rest and I'll see you tomorrow evening." Cal ordered into their private communications link. "Feral, keep me updated." Cal added as the Predator came to a stop in a dimly lit alley. Pulling his hood up over his face, Cal exited the vehicle as it backed away and headed towards the Lighthouse. Coming out of the alley, the black Dodge Challenger sat waiting for him as Cal climbed into the driver's seat and headed towards the Sound.

The drive didn't take long and within a quarter of an hour, Cal was parking his car in its spot before heading into the apartment building. Music could be heard echoing down the street and life was still evident even at the wee hours of the morning in the Sound. A rather youthful area of the city, the Sound was almost always full of life except between the hours of eight in the morning and noon when most of its residents were catching up on the sleep they sacrificed in order to dance the night away. Honestly there was something euphoric about being surrounded by so many people willing to reach out and take life as it was. 'Carpe Diem', 'YOLO' and whatever other justifications those who breathed life into this section of the city wanted to give it.

It fueled Cal, it reminded him why his parents had fought for this city, the potenial the city had. If ever the city had a soul, it was the Sound and it reminded Cal of just how young Larissa still was. She needed the Mavericks as much as they needed her. Collapsing onto his couch, Cal flicked the television on out of habit only to pass out midway through channel surfing as the sweet embrace of sleep took advantage of his distracted mind.

The gentle glow of the sun filled Cal's apartment as he awoke with a slight start, his hands reaching instinctively towards where his utility belt would be. Relaxing upon realizing he was in civilian clothes, Cal sat up only for the silence of the room to be broken by a guttural growl from his stomach. Shrugging off his leather jacket, Cal checked his phone for updates before he made his way over to the kitchen, pouring himself a large glass of coconut milk. Sipping away at his drink while he prepared the mixture for his morning protein shake, Cal turned on the stove top before pulling an open package of bacon out of the fridge along with a couple eggs and a block of cheese.

Cooking was actually fairly relaxing, not that he was making any thing complex. A fried egg sandwich was all Cal desired as he looked around the rather Spartan apartment. Perhaps Makarios could help him make this place feel a bit more 'home-y', or was that stereotyping? Cal wasn't one to try and keep up with being politically correct, he was never one to mince words but Makarios was his closest friend and Cal didn't want to upset him unnecessarily.

As his bacon began to crisp, Cal cracked two eggs on the side of the frying pan before dropping four slices of toast into the toaster. His thoughts returned to the apartment and how exhausting it was to keep up a dual identity. To be IllAdvised all the time was the dream, however in order to fund his nightly adventures he also had to be Caleb Maddox, child prodigy and genius inventor. Last year, he had lived at the Mavericks base nearly full time, probably far too often based on the numerous times Thomas had requested he take an hour off to at least shower. Cal had found he almost became complacent living there, his guard dropped and Locke was able to lay siege to their home. Living away from the Lighthouse, Cal found the separation made him sharper, more alert to changes and thus he was determined not to allow Locke and his men to blind side them again.

Slicing a knife through the two sandwiches, the squirt of a ketchup bottle echoed through the kitchen as Cal create a pool between the four halves. Swiping the sandwich through the ketchup, he watched the runny yolk mix with the sauce before he took the first of many satisfying bites. Rinsing the plate off once his meal was complete, Cal put it in the dishwasher before hitting his bathroom for a quick shower. Emerging moments later, he threw on a pair of shorts and a tank top before heading to the gym. Truth be told, he had always hated exercising within the gym, but yet he needed an alibi for his ever increasing muscle mass and tone and telling people he was an urban vigilante didn't strike him as a plausible option. Grabbing his 'phone' and gym bag, Cal headed out the door.

Exiting the gym's shower, Cal quickly got dressed as his phone began to ring. A series of digits displayed across the screen as Glitch quickly accomplished one of her more basic functions, backtracking the number and converting it to a name.

Fierro Software Innovations

"Hello." Cal began keeping his tone even. The La Familia de Fierro were one of Larissa's more minor criminal families, then again every other gang or mob in Larissa paled in comparison to the reigning lord, Roman Locke.

"Would Caleb Maddox be available?" Came the reply on the other end as Cal cleared his throught to respond.

"Speaking." He replied in the same even tone as he made his way from the gym to his car.

"Mister Maddox, my name is Dante de Fierro. I wanted to call your personally to offer you the position as head of Research and Development here at Fierro Software Innovations."

"You do of course realize I own my own company." Cal responded, his tone taking a slight edge as he pictured where most of the Fierro's funds came from.

"Actually to my understanding Mister Maddox, you run your father's company due to his mental state. You don't actually own Maddox Industries." Came Dante's own smug reply.

"Yes but as the sole heir, it's really only a matter of time." Cal replied matching Dante's smugness. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm really a busy man."

"Are you sure you want to turn our offer down so soon?" Dante's voice took on a slight menancing edge. "I would carefully consider our offer Mister Maddox, someone as young as you has a lot of life left to live and I'd rather see you live it comfortably."

"Are you threatening me?" Cal felt a small smirk crossed his lips.

"I'm just saying that while the market is strong right now, one day it might not be and you might find yourself a victim of a buyout, homeless with no job." Dante's reply came.

"I think this phonecall is over Dante. I however will be sure to let the board members know that the Fierro's are struggling and they should start buying stocks now while there's still a company to takeover." Cal's retorted as he ended the call. "Glitch, get me the Fierro's files, perhaps we should take a closer view."

"On it Boss." Came the female artificial intelligence's reply as Cal climbed into the muscle car.

Having spent the afteroon at his office, Cal had poured through the reports Glitch had provided him and one thing was certain. The Fierro's were definitely bolstering their funds through criminal minds. How they were bringing in so much cash was undetermined but Cal had no doubt in his mind that the thread would trace back to Roman Locke. The sight of the setting sun against the bay caught Cal's attention as he looked at the time. It would seem that time for hobbies was over and it was indeed time to get to work. Waving good night to the other employees, Cal paused a moment upon seeing Samantha Russells. Sam and Cal had dated throughout his first time at university but his secrets about the truth of his nightly activities had broken them apart. The end of the relationship had left him vulnerable, something that Allison had no doubt sensed when she manipulated his feelings for her. That was a lesson Cal was not prepared to relive, he couldn't do that with these recruits, they needed to prove their loyalty before he ever thought about getting close with them, let alone intimate.

Stopping outside of an alley, Cal climbed out of the Challenger before Glitch took control of the vehicle, a holographic driver appearing in the appropriate seat as the black car merged into traffic and headed towards Cal's home. Within the alley, the big black tank of a vehicle de-cloaked and before Cal sat the Predator. As instructed, Glitch had remotely delivered the vehicle and Cal climbed inside. Switching from his civvies into his uniform, he quickly ran through his routine checklist ensuring everything was up to snuff before pulling on the cowl and climbing into the driver's seat. Cars practically pulled over to the side of the road at the sight of the heavily modified truck as Cal approached the pier, platforms rising from the water as he drove the Predator into its docking bay beneath the lighthouse.

"Glitch is anyone else here?" IllAdvised asked, emerging from the truck as he hopped to the cement floor beneath him.

"Our guest from last night as well as Feral." Came her reply as Cal made his way into the central area of the Maverick's base.

"Arm defenses and prepare for hostiles. It's time to ensure that none of our recruits were paid bait by Locke. I refuse to fall for the same trick twice." IllAdvised ordered as his thoughts once again turned to Allison.

"Already on it boss." Came Glitch's reply as IllAdvised sat down in the chair in front of his command center. Removing the crimson cowl, he turned his full attention to the monitors as he watched each broadcast.

"I'm going to check in on Makarios." Cal responded as the snap and hiss of a can of soda opening echoed around the room. Taking a long sip of the Cherry Coke, Cal made his way into the medical wing and looked towards Makarios.

"How's our guest doing?"[/hr][/hr]

Last edited:
Aava only heard one thing before she went under: Welcome to the Mavericks. Somewhere in her subconcious, she felt that golden spark light up within herself. Somewhere else, she wondered what she had gotten herself into this time. And then it was all...black.

For a while.

It seemed...minutes. Months. Seconds. Years. Hours. Eons. Internal wrestling, ceaseless war with a darker half. This Nox, this ancient and twisted ritual, fuelled with malevalent power and dark emotions, performed wrong and the results even worse. Nox had been born this night, angry Nox, evil Nox. The kind of Nox Aava had been trying to flush out of her soul for the last six years. She had just invited it - no, dragged it - back into her heart, locked it inside. Worse was the thrill she had experienced doing so. What had happened the last time she had dabbled in black, forgotten Nox? Massacre. Slaughter. Murderous evil. Perpetrated by her. Weaved by her words, cast by her hand, the Nox possessing her just opening doors, building bridges to shortcut inhibitions, skip moral guards. Nox like this had stained her fingers, and she'd used that grasp to claw it back in once more. She felt it writhing within her, some twisting worm, filled with hate and glee in equal measure. An adequate host. A preferred host. A familiar host.

No. No more. You will rule me no more. Aava would fight. Aava would win. She would struggle and wrestle and seize control, reign it in, refine it into fuel for her marks, for her mind, bolster her body and soul. She was stronger than this snake of base instinct, this liquid id that flowed through her veins. Exert pressure, exude calm. Push back. Accept it in a little at a time, but don't let it poison you. She had done it before. She would do it again, and quicker this time, better.

"I believe in you."
What?
"...fickle and sub-par force."
Who?
"Fight and win."
...Makarios. He was there, carrying her to their new home. She felt herself stir from within, and faintly, ever so softly, there came a roar - but this one was nothing like the inhuman fury of the avatar they'd bested together. This one was ferocious with passion, natural and sweet. A tiger, a bear. The hooves of deer, the flapping of wings. The soft panting of a wolf...projections of animals swelled around her, adding their power to hers. Maki...you're there.

Suddenly she could see. She saw...Makarios, graceful and strong, holding herself gently and taking them both home. She saw the marks shift and snake on her skin, light subtly glowing and changing below the surface. She saw Maki pouring his strength into her, lending whatever help he could. She thought of everything he'd given him during her connection. The memories of his mother, a beautiful, strong woman. The recollections of his teammates, hers soon-to-be. The love he held for Xander...he had given her so much, and yet he still lent more. When she was so undeserving of gift...she wept, trying to reach out to Makarios, noble and strong, but her projected hands just passed through his face, wisps of Nox coming out with her grasp. She inhaled sharply. No. You will not take from him too. She pulled back, stepped away. Unconsciously, she was already resisting drawing anymore Nox from him. She had what she needed. She would survive.

She watched until her body rested in the Maverick's medical ward, Makarios' sharp words betraying his concern for her. Then she could watch no longer. It was all...black.

It had taken Raja quite a while to get to his home in the prestigious Olympus district. It was a fair distance from the LES and at this hour there were few taxis for him to hail. He appreciated the walk, however, and spent its entirety mulling over the events of that evening. It had started off much like any other night: he'd gotten ready, hopped between a few clubs, courted the attention of a ruffian and swiftly dealt with the resulting conflict. Yes, it had been a perfectly ordinary night for Raja Saputra... Until he turned up. Whoever he was, anyway.

IllAdvised was so cloaked in mystery, in fact, that thoughts of him still niggled at the Indonesian man's brain as he entered his lavish penthouse, all gold filigree and marble, and dropped his purse on a decorative table nearby. As he passed through the large entrance hall and into the high-ceilinged kitchen, flicking on the lights, he thought of how IllAdvised had dropped from the sky. Where did he come from, and how long had he been there? And as his bird of paradise flapped groggily into the room, awoken from its slumber, he paid it little attention as he racked his brain for explanations. How did he know Raja's name? Had their encounter really been as chance as IllAdvised would have him believe? Raja was sure that, if he kept an eye on him, he would have plenty of... 'research' opportunities.

He stroked the plumage beneath the vibrant bird's neck affectionately, opening a Macbook that sat on the counter and beginning to decrypt the message he'd been sent earlier that night. He was getting tired, and watching the digits swim around the software behind the pulsing animation of the green loading bar was not helping matters.

"Oh, Princess," he said, addressing the bird. "I have a feeling that rough nights are going to end in much more than a hangover from now on." he said, smiling cheekily at the bird as it pecked his lip. He'd had enough of waiting and his eyelids were fighting a losing battle in staying open. With Princess perched on his arm, he headed to bed. As he flicked off the lights, the kitchen was plunged into darkness, illuminated only by the dim glow of the laptop's monitor.

Raja's vertebrae cracked consecutively as his lean body stretched tall in tadasana. He'd awoken later than usual, and as he practised his yoga sequences before his expansive view of the city, he couldn't help but be angry at himself for missing the sunrise. Now high above Larissa, the sun made the ocean glisten and shine a brilliant topaz, causing shimmering light to dance up the abandoned lighthouse in the distance. Sunrise or no sunrise, it was beautiful nonetheless.

Once he'd finished, he waltzed into the kitchen and flicked on the coffee pot. As it boiled, he called out to Princess and soon enough the bird was swooping into the room. Raja extended a handful of seeds and dried fruit that would serve as the bird's breakfast. "I'm sorry it's late," he said guiltily as he poured himself a black coffee. "You know how it is, rough night--"

He stopped mid-sentence, glancing over at the corner where the open Macbook sat. Dutifully waiting. He sipped his beverage, ignoring the scalding heat and hurriedly approaching the laptop. He woke the machine, causing the monitor to light up and revealing to Raja the location that had been encoded in the message he'd received the night before. In all his exhaustion and morning routine, he'd almost forgotten about the whole ordeal.

8PM -- THE LIGHTHOUSE.

The Lighthouse? That was their big secret hideout? Raja ran his fingers through his messy hair in disbelief, looking back out over his view of the city. There it sat out on the coast, as clear as day... Right under everyone's noses. He smiled wryly; these guys were good.

The cover of night was welcome, though ultimately was of little use. Raja was clad head-to-toe in a burqa. The black garment was tastefully created in the hours previous; the solid black fabric layered with levels of sheer organza with just the hint of a sparkle. Sure, Raja had surmised that he would require some sort of disguise... But he wasn't about to step out in some shabby leather and a wrestler's mask.

He got to the coast with reasonable swiftness, choosing to stay out in the busier areas so as not to attract unwanted attention. As much as it gave him a kick, Raja wanted to make sure he was at the Lighthouse on time; whilst he'd usually enjoy arriving fashionably late and flashing a knowing grin upon his entrance, he saw this as more of a job interview. He felt he had to be somewhat professional. Thankfully, he made it out to the water without attracting much more than a few choice glances; passers-by no doubt shocked by what they assumed was an unusually tall woman.

Raja crossed the walkway slowly, in order to maintain grace. The uneven land was not ideal for his heeled shoes, and the coastal wind caused his burqa to billow majestically behind him. It was as though some animated shadow or sentient smoke being was floating along the strip towards the abandoned tower that Raja had, until recently, believed to be disused. He was panicking a little at this point, though he didn't let it show; there was nobody here, and he had but one escape route. Was this some sort of trap?

He raised his hand to the rusted door of the lighthouse, pausing only for a fleeting second before knocking out a rhythmic beat. The deep bellows of gloved fist against old metal echoed dramatically, and Raja was sure he heard something stir within...[/hr]

Makarios only barely returned to the scene of the brawl in time to study the body of the deposed man. It wasn't an ideal situation, having so much evidence that would potentially raise many unanswered questions. He had to make sure that there was no evidence of Aava's presence.

Luckily the scene hadn't been tampered with yet and --as Glitch had informed him on his way over-- the police were still a good fifteen minutes out. The best he could do past cleaning up any lingering traces of their involvement was using one of his media connections to order a press blackout. There were a few advantages to being the unofficial mentee and intern of one of Larissa's councilmen.

Makarios left the scene a few minutes before any of the authorities were able to reach it, confident in the job he'd done. They were safe from the public eye for now. Standing on the rooftop of one of the taller buildings of Larissa, Feral noted the lightening sky. That seemed to be a good indicator that he should turn in. Unfortunately, the life of a vigilante didn't always merge with the life of a burgeoning young professional. Makarios made his way back to his own apartment, thankful for the break.

---

Only a few hours later found Makarios rousing groggily from his bed. In his slumbered state he risked a residual light connection with the spirit of the Alligator, hoping to heal faster. His little idea had actually healed his body faster than normal, but his sleep had been slightly restless. A waking slumber, filled with overly-vivid images of a history that was his...yet not at the same time. In his waking hours, he realized it was Aava that he was seeing. Remnants of their Nox-infused connection.

His morning routine of brushing his teeth and freshening up allowed his mind to wander. His mother had taught him ways to supply another with Nox and from there he had worked out (from copied tomes) how to infuse more of him into the Nox. But at best, he felt he would only be able to partially soothe whatever tumultuous battle she was waging inside of herself. But, he couldn't do much at this moment, he had to trust the Glitch would monitor her.

Makarios headed to his living room, meeting the strong light of the sun as it rested on his meditation mat. Makarios sat down with a heavy exhale, inviting calm and serenity into his body. He worked to push all thoughts from his head, becoming a harmonious tone with his body, mind, Nox and soul. Eventually, Makarios delved into his trance-like serene state and roused himself a half hour later by sound of the gentle-tone alarm of his phone.

"I suppose I can't necessarily skip 'work' today, huh?" he murmured to himself as Makarios jumped to his feet, feeling a boost in energy for the day ahead. "If only visiting senators would learn to not get caught showing their mistresses the lavish life..." he murmured to himself. Being the Personal Assistant of Councilman Kinney had its ups and downs.

---

Later:

After a day filled with battling off media outlets and declining comments about whether the visiting Senator had trashed his marriage intentionally, Makarios could finally go to "work". The whole day he had been denying himself the excitement he undoubtedly felt for what would come about tonight. Could he actually hope that these recruits would help them breathe life back in to the Mavericks? Could he take it a step farther and hope for a safe recover for his newfound friend in Aava? Makarios could barely contain himself as he left the City Hall that day.

One of the advantages of his working for Councilman Brian Kinney was that it allowed Makarios a front row seat to any and all legislation or information that might affect the Mavericks and their operation. He enjoyed his job and got to help his "other" job at the same time, though both called upon unfair hours from him. And from both, he often left bruised and a little weathered. But, as he left today, there was a pep in his step he worked to contain, and after taking an Uber closer to the coast and the lighthouse, Makarios almost bounded toward the base.

---

"Glitch, is anyone else here?" he asked upon entering, he was already loosening his tie and rolling up his sleeves, heading directly toward the medical bay.

"As of now, no. However, Cal should be arriving in an hour or so," Glitch responded, her voice echoing through the halls.

"Any change in our new potential recruit?"

"There's been a notable amount of brain activity but her vitals have stayed level and even improved. Though my observations are only limited, I think she might be winning this fight."

"Tch. Did you expect anything less from a rising Maverick?" He asked as he entered the medical bay. Immediately he could sense her Nox, it had seeped out into the entirety of the room. But, that was actually good indicator. It meant that her Nox was most prevalent and that meant she was besting this inner turmoil.

Though her breath was steady, Makarios had only to touch her head to sense the war still waging. He cursed himself for not getting here sooner. Even if she didn't necessarily need his help, his efforts probably could have expedited the process and eased her burden. Immediately he uncapped the Nox within him, feeling a warming sensation in his body. He had to be careful, as the seal on his back would activate, incapacitating him if he released too much. However, he just needed to infuse choice amounts of it around Aava's aura.

He pulled up a chair and sat down, proceeding to lay his hands on Aava's head. As he established a connection, he leaked his Nox into hers, focusing on the concentrated bits of malicious Nox still within her. Upon his presence, the malicious Nox sought to attack him, hoping to find yet another host. He fought it off with some difficulty. He wasn't as used to Nox such as this and it stabbed at his psyche, riling the beasts inside of him.

'You aren't welcome here and your time is limited at best,' he thought loudly, pushing more of his Nox through the barrier the malicious Nox had erected.

He began to lose track of time as he pushed and pulled, working with Aava's unconscious spirit to best this particularly nasty energy, until he sensed a familiar presence.

He broke his connection just Cal walked in. Maki's breathing was heavy and sweat gleaned his brow, but he smiled largely. "I think she's going to be fine. Now, it's just a matter of time." He stood and took the Cherry Coke from Cal, taking a small sip. Normally, that was grounds for evisceration from their team leader, but Makarios gave him a playful smile as he did so. "I'm parched and you didn't bring one for me."

After handing it back, he turned to Aava and gestured. "I'm not sure what you can feel, but I think at least your hairs should be standing up ever-so-slightly from the amount of Nox being leaked into such a concentrated area. She's really been put to the work battling the creature from last night. Caleb...you should have seen it. I'm not sure I would have been able to take it down so easily on my own and definitely not without sustaining some type of grievous injury. I think this one's got what we're looking for." His eyes wandered over the monitors once more, making sure everything was fine.

"I think......I think he would say the same, y'know? He always could sense the good in people," Makarios' words were measured but a little longing betrayed him as he referred to Xander. "I just...I get the feeling he would have immediately pegged her as one of us."

Their pause wasn't long before Glitch appeared in the room. "Cal, Makarios, we have a visitor. I think it might be time to prepare for our 'Orientation' session."

Maki looked at Cal, raising an eyebrow. "My date is already here, that's got to be for you or Thomas."

Collab between Lord Wraith and Raja

L
ooking down at the reaminder of his drink with a certain disdain, Cal abandoned the half full can on a nearby table muttering slightly.

"At least ask next time." He turned to chilled cabinet containing some blood packs and other more sensative supplies, opening it as Makarios began to talk about how he could feel the 'Force' flowing through the room, surrounding them with its warmth. Reach behind a couple bags of 'O' Negative, Cal produced a new can of Cherry Coke, cracking it open before taking a long sip.

"Is her midi-chlorian count higher than Master Yoda's?" Cal asked with a sarcastic smirk. He probably shouldn't be so hard on 'magic' but he honestly couldn't help himself. The whole notion of a mystical and unexplainable force being able to physically manipulate the world was bizarre, somehow Makarios, Thomas and this other girl were simply able to manipulate themselves in ways that most Hyperhumans couldn't and for whatever reason even organizations like H.E.L.P. hadn't been able to explain or categorize.

"You wouldn't have needed to take it down on your own, but I see your point." Cal interjected as Makarios continued, the conversation turning to a remainder of Xander although his name went unspoken. "It was one of his many charms. The ability to look past the surface and see what's underneath. We all know he was the reason you and Thomas originally didn't write me off for invading your privacy to bring us all together."

The pair paused in a moment of silent respect before Glitch broke it with news of a recruit's arrival. Cal grimaced slightly at Makarios' comment, full well knowing it was intended to be a joke but the haunting memories of Allison returned to him. His body felt like it was numb for the endless jolts of electricity he had suffered on the day she betrayed the team.

"Glitch, on screen." Cal requested, deepening his voice as he added a slight English accent to the command, a reference no doubt lost on Makarios. Seeing the figure dressed in a burqa outside, Cal nodded his head with approval. It would seem Raja had in fact listened to his order to wear a mask.

"Open the door Glitch and escort our guest to the main room." Cal instructed as he pulled his cowl on before raising his hood. Whether the other Mavericks agreed to it or not, Cal wasn't about to immediately reveal his identity. The other recruits would have to pass his gauntlet before that was happening.

Standing at half way down a sprial staircase, IllAdvised looked down upon Raja as the man entered into the Maverick's lounge space.

"Welcome to Hope's Beacon." IllAdvised's filtered voice came from his cowl as he called to Raja.

Raja smiled back at IllAdvised, and though his face was mostly concealed by the garb around his head, his eyes did all the necessary work in conveying the warmth behind the burqa. Those piercing green eyes...

"Thank you for having me," he said, the gesture more a formality than genuine gratitude. For Raja, aligning himself with the Mavericks was a case of 'needs must'; if one thing was certain to the Indonesian man, it was that in numbers he would find safety. There was only so long he could have continued his solo career before someone got the upperhand.

"It's a fabulous place," Raja noted, this time with more sincerity as he ran his fingers along the old woodwork and onto the cold surface of the steel reinforcements. "And so cleverly hidden out here, in plain sight." he remarked. "I can see this coastline from my apartment. Not once did I ever consider..." he said, not bothering to finish the sentence.

Looking around the room, he found it noticeably empty; its leather antique furnishings laying vacant and just waiting to be sat upon.

"Am I the first to arrive?" he pondered aloud, not taking his eyes back to IllAdvised as he continued to take in his surroundings. Sure, it could do with a little sprucing... But what he had seen of Hope's Beacon thus far had held a certain je ne sais quoi; a warmth that invited Raja to stay... For a while, at least.

"Another arrived before you, though not not of her concious will. Unfortunately she sustained several injuries last night." IllAdvised begun. "Feral believes she should be conscious shortly however." He added, watching Raja's body language as the other man walked around the Spartan room. It wasn't overly comfortable but then again IllAdvised had never envisioned the lighthouse as a home. It was a place to train and recooperate between missions, it wasn't intended for the Mavericks to live in. That's how they had let their guard down last time.

"With any luck, others will arrive shortly. If they don't, then our recruitment drive was still a success." IllAdvised said before turning to address Raja directly. "I'm curious to find out what everyone brings to the table. To my understandng each of our recruits are gifted."

Suddenly the apparparition of a woman appeared in the middle of the room as Glitch's holographic form shimmered to life.

"IllAdvised, I believe we have have more guests arriving." The redheaded woman said before turning to Raja. "I don't believe we've been formally introduced, my name is Glitch, I'm the Mavericks' secret weapon." She said with a giggle and a wink. Disappearing from view, IllAdvised turned his attention towards the enterance.

"And who do we have here?"[/HR]

Reactions: Blacksam
To say that Fury sprinted home after her meeting with IllAdvised would be a disservice to her breakneck speed, as Olympic gold medal winning hundred meter runners would have been left coughing in her dust. And that after getting kidnapped, abducted, the juice pulped out of her and being involved in a none-to-trivial car accident. Pretty impressive goings by anyone's standards. But then even if a big bad triumvirate of Mike Tyson, Dr Doom, and the Devil himself planted themselves in her path and told her to stop she'd just barrel right through them and keep on running. She had a deadline, after all, and three hours really wasn't a lot of time to meet it, not when you'd been waiting your whole life for a chance like this.

She only began to check her pace when she started to near the house she shared with Vronnie, Christine, and Yvette, aware that if she woke any of them she was nowhere near a skillful enough liar to explain away her bizarre getup, the late hours she was keeping, or why she was so sweaty. Maybe she could try and convince them it was some kinda freaky, sexy, roleplay thing, but all the girls knew she'd never had so much as a long term boyfriend. Telling them that she was actually a new-age, liberal, sexual voyeur would probably be more unbelievable than crying 'I'm a vigilante, and I spend my spare time beating the tar out of thieves and creeps'.

No, the only thing for it was stealth. So she stealthy crept into the house, up the stairs, and into her bedroom, stealthily wincing at ever un-stealthy noise she made on her way. Seems ninjitsu was another item to add to her ever-growing list of much needed vigilante-skills. Maybe she could ask IllAdvised for pointers.

Thoughts of the hooded hero refueled her excitement, so after getting changed from her Fury 'costume' into her jammies in record time she opened up the anonymous text and with a little help from Google discovered, to her amusement, that the co-ordinates led to the old lighthouse on the pier front. The Maverick's secret base was in one of the most recognizable landmarks in the city! It was so delightfully brazen that she couldn't help but chuckle, though that sent waves of pain flowing through her ribs. Seemed like the nights exertions were starting to catch up with her, her battered frame eager to have words about what a silly girl she'd been. And judging by all the aches and pains, it was going to be a pretty verbose discussion.

While she would have liked to have set out towards the lighthouse straight away – and very nearly did – she felt it probably prudent to sleep first, before she physically collapsed. A girl can't be expected to run on adrenaline for ever after all, and besides, she had school in the morning. Hitting the lights she jumped into bed, curled into a ball, and hotly anticipated sweet dreams concerning her future career as the newest and brightest rising star of the Mavericks.

The piercing cry of her alarm came all to soon, signalling an end to her traipse through snoozeville and a beginning of another long day at college. She would have loved to hit the snooze button, loved it more than anything on the planet, but it just wasn't in her. Growing up with a military-man father instills some unique habits in a girl, one of which being your body throwing itself out of the warm cocoon of blankets before your brain's even fully registered being awake. Dad never could abide lazy risers, and would wake her early every morning, even on a Sunday. Some times it had felt like a very bizarre form of torture, though looking back now she realized he probably just wanted someone to share the peace of the morning with.

As soon as she shook her early-morning fugue Lisa attacked her daily routines with a gusto, hoping the sooner she got everything she needed doing done the sooner she could race to the lighthouse. Of course all hoping didn't really amount too much, because she was in line for one of the longest, most unwanted-disturbance laden days of her life. From her classes professor coming in late, then droning on for half an eternity, to Vronnie wanting to go to the mall, and refusing to take no for an answer, to her mom calling her 'just to chat', then dad Skyping afterwards. That last one took an especially mind numbing long time, thanks to it being her prehistoric fathers first foray into video chatting, and with like most things technological he took to it like a duck in quicksand.

It was late in the evening before Lisa was finished, the stars bright in the sky before she was ready to let Fury loose. Her anticipation was an almost palpable thing as she clambered into her old, beat-up VW Golf, costume folded neatly inside a duffel bag upon the passenger seat.

As the VW trundled through the city she realized that she'd neglected to zip the bag all the way closed, the black combat gear seeming to peek out of the gap, beckoning to her, wanting to know why she wasn't wearing them already, why she hadn't slipped into the guise of Fury already. The night was Fury's time, after all, and now that she had seemingly found acceptance among others of her ilk Fury wished to come out an play, now more than ever. Or at least that's what Lisa liked to think the peeping combats were saying to her, up until she nearly side-swipped into a passing truck at an intersection. After that the only thing magically-sentient vigilante costumes would be saying to her would be something along the lines of 'stop day dreaming and watch the road' or 'how many crashes you planning to cause this week?' or 'Ahhh, look out for that truck!'.

She parked the car a couple blocks from the lighthouse, leaving it in what she could only hope was a half-way decent neighbourhood. Would be just her luck to join the Mavericks, Larissa's premier defenders of justice, just to come back here and find her car up on bricks.

She traveled down a side-street, one she was confident nobody would stumble by, to get changed. Lisa left her civvies in the duffel hidden behind a dumpster, leaving the street decked out in her 'evening wear'. She'd managed to wash most of the blood out from the night before, though there were a few stubborn stains that just wouldn't shift. She was a bit worried about that, worried it might cast a poor first impression, but there was nothing she could do about it now. If anyone commented on it she'd try and pass it off as some kind of tribal, warrior, psyche-out thing, commenting how it puts the chills down the spines of her enemies. Then she'd snarl, to really seal the deal.

Yeah. Snarling. Sure. That wouldn't raise any eyebrows. . . This was going to go so badly.

Nerves were starting to get the better of her as she approached the lighthouse, her fears and apprehensions making themselves heard as soon as she put foot to walkway. What if this was some kind of prank, like she was being Punk'd. (Punk'd? Seriously, where did that come from? Ashton Kutcher stopped being relevant back in, like, the early noughties) Or what if IllAdvised was about to hand her some kind of cease and desist, to stop acting like a night-time vigilante because her amateurish fumbling's were making the professionals look bad by association.

She was mere feet from the lighthouse now, the door hanging ajar in front of her, her worries going from slightly bizarre and kooky to near cripplingly serious. What if it really wasn't the Mavericks, but a police sting operation. She'd get through the door just to be confronted by a team of armed officers, discovering all to late that Larissa really doesn't take kindly to vigilantes. Or if it was the Mavericks, but she wasn't good enough for them, and they decided to dump her down the line, like so much forgotten trash? Or worse of all, what if she wasn't good enough and they kept her, and she got someone killed? Oh gosh, she should turn back, before she made things any worse for herself.

"And who do we have here?"

Too late.

She was so lost in thought that she's entered the lighthouse almost without realizing it. Standing in the wide lounge aread was a figure wearing a burqa, though by the posture and way they held themselves she was reasonably certain it was Raja. The only other occupant was IllAdvised.

"Uhh it's me. . . I mean. . . huh." She stammered, though this time her stumbling wasn't down to being star struck, or at least not in the conventional sense. It was fair to say his greeting had knocked her for a loop. Knocked her like a truck, more like. Last night her hero had revealed he knew who she was, knew her name, and wanted her help in saving the innocents of the city. Tonight he acted like they'd never met, like she was a bizarrely dressed stranger who had just ambled in unannounced into his house.

So, prank it was.

On her way across the walkway she had thought she would have broke down upon finding out this opportunity was less than she had hoped, and for one terrifying moment she almost did. Just for a second, she felt she was going to fall to her knees and burst into tears, maybe cry for her daddy. But then she felt a fire ignite, deep in her belly, roaring up towards her brain. Crying just wasn't her, not at something so trivial, no way. That wasn't the way she was raised, wasn't the way she was made. She'd take the pain, use it to get stronger, and if necessary pass it back with interest.

She was hurt, sure. Hurt to have been tricked. Hurt to have had her time wasted. Sorest of all though, sorest by far was discovering that her hero really wasn't all that heroic at all. Turns out he was just some guy playing cruel games, twisting people's feelings. He was no better than Billy.

Her eyes lit up, little nuclear blasts, before responding.

"Fury," she growled, deep and gutter dirty, half surprised that she didn't spit some of that fire roaring in her gut soon as she opened her mouth. She stomped forward, itching fists held tight at her sides. "The names Fury, which you know fine. Now why are we really here? Spit it quick, because I'm not in the mood for games anymore!" She planted herself in the middle of the room, thrusting her chin out and scowling up at her hooded 'hero', daring him to pretend not to know who she was again.

Now that would be ill advised.

Makarios' eyes gleamed with a playful interest toward Cal as he crassly teased the presence of the mystical energy. "So, because you don't understand it or experience it, the rest of the world should discount it and disrespect it?" He placed his hand on Aava's head again, feeling her budding conscious. She'd be awake soon, now it was just a matter of when.

"I'd like to draw attention to the fact that thinking in that way spurred the persecution of homosexual men and women, and led to the degradation of entire cultures. As a leader, understanding should be your main focus—especially with these new recruits— because you might be surprised what all they bring to the table. And to prejudge their backgrounds could work against our favor."

Makarios recognized his statement was rather harsh, but he worried for what thoughts such as those could do for the team, the hostility it could breed and lead to. And past that…the mystical force of the Nox was damn awesome in his eyes. The Force wished it could be as amazing.

As Cal departed to meet their new guest, Makarios quickly turned to get dressed. Meeting the new recruits in his civvies didn't seem like good form. "Glitch," Makarios spoke to the room and she appeared in one of the monitors. "Could you be sure to notify me as Aava begins to wake? I'd like to be there when she comes to so I can bring her to the rest of the team."

"Of course Maki."

Taking the side entrance that led to the main lounge area, Makarios heard voices: introductions and speeches. He was surprised by another voice, this one female and she sounded quite intense. He was nearing the side-corridor exit that would spit him out right next to the main entrance when he heard more clearly:

"The names Fury, which you know fine. Now why are we really here? Spit it quick, because I'm not in the mood for games anymore!"

A feeling of silken stealth settled over his presence. A shiver rippled over him; a welcome feeling that mixed with a spritz of excited joy. It was the mentality of the hunting Panther, the desire to appear by his prey. The essence of the Panther was welcoming, a tricky synchronization that left his senses tingling. Makarios easily contained enough of himself to negate any urges to physically harm the girl or act aggressively to her.

He took a step toward the new Hype, hearing her heartbeat with a little effort. It fluttered and Makarios could only guess from anticipation and resilience. He smelled the wisps of sweat and the pangs of heavy iron: blood. Ah, so she had seen some legitimate field experience? He liked her already.

"Fury." Makarios spoke aloud, directly behind her, feeling the weight of the words and how it impacted the senses, landing curtly, with force and intent. There was an allure to it, a blunt vague-yet-somehow known promise in the name.

"I like the promise associated in your name. It seems to suit you," he told her as he looked at her, his smile reaching his eyes. In his excitement of the night, he knew that some of the intimidation and distance he maintained as Feral was lost and replaced by his core nature: the yearn to welcome, nurture, help and teach. These potential new recruits sparked the belief that they could make a legitimate and lasting difference in their city. Something to be remembered.

Makarios looked up at Caleb, "You've got a good eye, my friend."

He focused on her again, stepping to face her, but respecting her personal space. "You're here for an opportunity to lighten the load of the world a little more," his tone was slightly animated as he told her, but he sobered himself as he continued. "I'm sure as IllAdvised would attest to, this is the farthest thing from a game you could find. There's no do-over and we only get one shot to make an impact."

He joined IllAdvised—taking the time to make the journey up the stairs in one jump— and raised a hand in greeting, "Feral here. It's a pleasure to meet you," he turned to the other figure, almost a shadow in the room. "And you as well, my friend. Though I'm afraid I don't have your name."

He smelled a particularly sharp Hyperhuman scent from this one. It was interesting, and garnered Makarios' attention at its fullest.

Thomas had after his meeting with the young magni gone to the lighthouse. He stepped into the top, the beacon, nobody there now, Caleb was certainly still out. And Maki was hopefully home sleeping. He walked over to one of the screen and opened up the alert systems they had in place, in case a emergency had occurred in town. It was quiet tonight, good. He put a tracking order on Irene for Glitch, he soon left the lighthouse. He did not leave before changing his clothes and getting into his car, the old Camaro SS muscle car. Putting on his brown leather jacket as he sat down at the wheel, he turned up the heat in the car, flying in Larissa was so much colder than back home in Longhorn. Revving the engine the beast of a vehicle roared to life. With a pleased grin on his face, he set off back home to his apartment in the milk district.

A 10 minute drive later, he pulled into the garage, got out of the car and locked it, he was heading up the stairs to the apartment marked "Thomas and Tiffany Campbell" on the mailbox in the door, while still two months before it was official, it always did bring a smile to Thomas's face. Knowing that she was in there when he got home from his Mavericks life, he knew that he always had a home, somewhere he could be safe and happy, where the darkness of the world never got in. Putting the key into the lock, he turned it and opened the door. Met by the lavender and vanilla smell of Tiffany's perfume, Thomas closed the door behind him and locked it, taking off his shoes and hanging up his jacket. He walked around the four room apartment and turned out all the lights, until he finally made his way into their bedroom. The light on the nightstand still on, shining on Tiffany's golden locks as he laid there sleeping.

He walked around the bed and laid down next to her on his side, kissing her on the head before laying on his back with his arm under the pillow. In a moment, she turned around and laid on his chest, mumbling "You're home." Before drifting off to sleep again. With a slight grin, he let the tiredness embrace him and drag him into sleep.

He woke up some six hours later, he was woken up by the humming outside from Tiffany, in the living room, singing one of the newest pop anthems, Thomas hadn't listened to a song made after 1997 in all of his life, so he couldn't place it. Getting up, he got dressed in a tanktop and jeans, walking out to the bathroom to shower. Getting out of the shower he dried himself off. Getting out a new blade for his razor, he covered his face in shaving gel and got rid of the scruff. Washing his face off he quickly brushed his teeth and styled his hair. Getting dressed again, he headed out into the living room, to Tiffany. Whom turned around while she was humming and smiled as she saw him.

"Hi." She said, he smiled and greeted her back with a kiss.
"I made breakfast, it's in the kitchen. Rough night?" She asked, Thomas chuckled. "Not more than usual. I got what I had to do done." He said, walking over to the kitchen and getting out a plate. Chicken Risotto; one of his favorites. He scooped it up on the plate, grabbed a fork and walked back into the living room. "How was your night? Did you have a rough night?" He asked, in between healthy bites of the incredibly tasty meal.
"Being a cocktail waitress really isn't that rough." She said with a smirk, he responded with a scoff. "Did you get any studying in? Sorry I couldn't get home early enough to help you."

"I did, but I could still use a hand later." Thomas nodded. "You heading 'out' today?" and he nodded again, mouth full of rice, chicken and vegetables. She began giggling "You look like a hamster." Thomas chuckled once he swallowed the food. "But, I've gotta swing by the shop first. Had a couple cars I need to fix first. We're getting new people in the 'club' today." He followed up, as Tiffany looked at him.

"You worried?" She asked and he nodded.

"A little. They're civilians, really. I'm not convinced Makarios and Caleb are right that we should have recruit new people."

"It's never really worked out before, has it?" She blurted out and Thomas's face went still for a moment, before she realized what she had said "Too soon?"

" A little." Thomas said with a scoff, changing the subject he put the plate down. "That was awesome, I thought I was the cook in this household." And she smirked. "Girl gotta eat.", turning back to folding her laundry Thomas walked up beside her and put his hands on her waist and kissed her on the neck. "Thank you." He said with a big smile.

"I'm heading down to the shop, I'll call later."

"You better, love you."

"Love you too."

Walking down to his garage, some 800 meters from their apartment, he got into a large crowd of people. In the distance, in front of him, he heard a lot of screaming and shouting, and the crowd did part around two people, a 20-ish man, and ten meters behind him was a somewhat older woman who was chasing him. "Stop him, he stole my purse!" She shouted, the man was running, purse in hand. When the criminal came close, Thomas pulled up his phone and acted like he was looking at the phone, not seeing the thug. As the other man tried to run around him, Thomas walked right into him, knocking the thief to the floor, while Thomas faked being put on his ass, as well.

The woman quickly caught up and took the bag back, while calling the police. She looked at Thomas and let out a exhausted smile "T-Thank you!" Thomas nodded. "I.. Uh. You're welcome." Before dusting himself off and heading down to his garage.

Having fixed up the Pontiac GTO and the Ford Focus, he cleaned his hands off and put in calls to the owners of the cars that they could be picked up later today, and that his employee, Reed, would be here to give them the keys and the payment for the cars. Thomas then set off to get to the lighthouse, it was now 7 P.M, about an hour before they were supposed to meet. Opening his phone, he contacted Glitch, and like he had suspected, the A.I had already contacted Irene Adams on Angel's behalf. Pleased, he took a loaner car from the garage and head out to the lighthouse. Parking safely in the garage. The station wagon he had driven did look rather odd next to all of Caleb's vehicles. Once he got in, he got a workout in for about half an hour, and then went to shower, before putting on his armor. He had persuaded Caleb to not build him a armor that relied on tech, and as such, the armor in itself had no electrical functions at all, only computers sat in the helmet, and those were for communication purposes.

Grabbing the helm off of the mannequin, he put it on. Feeling the helmet lock into the armor to avoid him losing it during flight, Thomas stretched a bit in the armor, making sure he could move just fine in it.

"Angel; The new recruits have arrived, and they are waiting for you."

"Roger."

Heading to the others, the door shutting automatically behind him, he came in at the time of introductions. Levitating down towards the door, and the group of people.

"Now, I am not against hospitality. But please, we're not animals, let's not all flock at the door." Looking at the two new faces, he was informed by Glitch that the third one was already in the building, in the medical bay, and that the fourth, Irene, had not yet arrived. Looking at Feral and Illadvised he spoke "Looks like my Padawan's tardy." He then turned back to the two recruits.

"If the golden A on my chest isn't too obvious, I go by Angel."

[Collaboration between Blacksam, Lord Wraith & Raja]

Raja watched silently as Fury embodied her namesake, wrapped in darkness by his black garb and the shadows that hung in the corner of the rustic parlour. What appeared to be an antique fisherman's lantern hung from the ceiling, illuminating the the room with a glow that was as dim as it was warm. Outside, the sea crashed against the rock upon which the lighthouse was built, and the subtle swishing of seaspray could be heard in the brief silence that followed Fury's outburst. Declining to involve himself and not particularly inspired to break the silence, Raja remained quiet; though he had to admit to himself, it did seem odd. The Maverick who had just last night known so much about Fury, now seemed to have conveniently forgotten all his stolen secrets. Whatever the intent behind IllAdvised's lapse in memory was - or, indeed, whether there was any at all - intrigued Raja. Whilst his lips were sealed, his eyes remained fixed on the Maverick, awaiting his response.

Turning to the door, IllAdvised recognized Fury's figure as she walked into the roof, anger seething off of her like a burning aura. It would appear that the events of this night and the last had the Maverick recruit on edge. As Makarios interjected, Cal turned to reply to his right hand.

"I'm glad you agree, Fury made quite a fuss in her neighborhood. The resident 'crazy bitch' apparently." IllAdvised stated, a hint of pride filling his voice as he continued in light of Makarios' compliment, turning his attention towards Fury. "I apologize that my comment was misconstrued, I had not looked to see who had entered the door. I would never forget you or any other ally." IllAdvised nodded towards Fury, the girl had seemed intent to push her limits against the other Maverick and, had this been the time, IllAdvised would have encouraged her to try. Perhaps at a later time, sooner or later IllAdvised would like to take stock of the abilities of their new recruits.

Well, didn't she feel humbled. And childish. And more than a little stupid. It was dark out and IllAdvised hadn't seen her properly, probably because she was the dummy wearing a full black ensemble. Thank goodness for the face buff, at least that managed to conceal her embarrassed blush.

"It's alright," She grumbled quietly, emotions still high but the edge to her voice dulled now. She relaxed her posture, trying to look less like someone who headbutted walls down in her spare time for fun, and a bit more like someone you'd willingly spend time with. Her estimations of IllAdvised started to climb again, though strangely they didn't hit the same dizzying heights that they had before. Maybe that's what happens when you see your idols as people, that no matter what happens afterwards they can never get that same gilded shine again. She hoped that wasn't the case, as life just seemed a little bleaker without it.

On the plus side she had two more full fledged Mavericks to fill the gap IllAdvised left. Feral had snuck up on her so sufficently that she was still half surprised that she hadn't jumped out of her skin when he spoke her name, though any apprehension that she may have felt at that instantly dissapitated as soon as he smiled. There was something warm and wonderful about his smile, like home-made chocolate chip cookies fresh out of the oven, though maybe not her home because her mom was a terrible baker. She felt herself instinctively returning the smile, even while wearing her mask. It was just that infectious. Even when he spoke of the weight of the mission, and the risks attached to it, she still found herself warming to him.

The third Maverick to arrive was a touch more austentious than his two comrades, though no less grandiose for it. Even if he didn't feature heavily in her Maverick's-biggest-fan scrapbook, it would still be pretty easy to distinguish Angel, if not for the big 'A' that he pointed out on his chest, then because of the giant, sepucheral wings arching from his back. She may have murmured a small "wow," under her breath as she stood transfixed by the sight, wondering how amazing it must be to fly above the city skyline.

As Raja watched the orange-clad man appear behind Fury, he observed the effortless stealth with which he approached her. The man moved physically like any other human, but the air around him was primal; animalistic, somehow. Raja knew but one thing about the man: he was mesmerising. He watched silently as the Maverick reasoned with Fury.

He introduced himself as Feral, and seemed to understand Fury on an instinctual level, which appeared to help IllAdvised's efforts to calm her. The pair seemed reasonably successful. Soon enough, a third Maverick had descended into the room and introduced himself as Angel. Raja smirked beneath his burqa... Something about a room full of grown men and women declaring themselves as 'Feral' or 'Angel', with all the seriousness of a Supreme Court judge, was incredibly amusing to the modern club kid. With each Maverick that introduced themselves, Raja begged internally that he would be able to detect even a hint of irony behind their masks; but a wry smile on their lips, letting him know they were in on the joke... Alas, there were none.

That was when Feral turned his sights to Raja, requesting a name. In what was a rare instance, Raja faltered. He was lost for words. Shit, he cursed to himself. Shit, shit, shit. Gotta think of something.

"Feral, I'm happy to introduce to you..." IllAdvised suddenly paused as he stared towards Raja. While he and Glitch were privilege to Raja's true identity, it was not his place to reveal that to Makarios in the same way Makarios had not introduced himself by name nor referred to IllAdvised as Cal.

"I actually don't have an alias for you." IllAdvised added looking towards Raja. "Did you have a preference to what we call you?"

Raja seemed to glide out of the shadows like a beautiful black swan; but beneath the water, his legs were kicking furiously as he panicked and struggled to stay afloat. He had felt comfortable revealing his name earlier; IllAdvised and Fury already knew his identity, did he really have much to lose in sharing that information with Feral and Angel? His answer was a definitive yes... He couldn't let so many people get the upper hand on him. At least, not if they insisted on wearing masks...

"I, uh..." Raja said, pausing to clear his throat. "I've yet to choose a name." he admitted, his voice deep and earthy. He got the feeling that there was some surprise in the room regarding the gender of the figure beneath the burqa. His piercing green eyes darted around the room. "I just haven't been inspired yet," he said. "So I guess I'm kinda nameless right now. I hope that's not too much of a mindfuck for y--" Instantly, his bright eyes burst open wide and the Indonesian hype let out a small gasp of surprise at his own turn of phrase. Beneath his hijab, he smiled that same sly grin that made him feel so at ease each time he wore it. As if by magic, all of his composure was swiftly restored.

"Actually," he announced, with his unique brand of quiet confidence. "Mindfuck will do just fine."

A long, low intake of breath and a final exhalation were all that was needed to expel the last of the resistance that had once bubbled within Aava - and now, she awoke, eyes fluttering open. She could feel them, a glow emanating from the world as she saw beyond seeing through eyes she knew from experience were a plain, intoxicating black.

She was on her back. She'd known that much from her astral episode, but to feel it again was peculiar after feeling nothing but the toil of magical combat. To feel anything was a surprise - she had doubted her power. Somewhere inside, some dark aspect chuckled. You should know better than to doubt your power. She silenced the voice. She had no desire for it, though it beckoned her, tempted her. This new Nox was strong, rich. She sat up, swinging her legs over the side of the bed, all the while probing this new depth to her magic. Something else was there, a lingering wisp of someone else...of him.

"Makarios?" She said, throwing the name into the air, weight behind it. Silence greeted her, and then a quiet digital alert going off. Nothing else. And then, faintly, there was chatter floating down toward her, the faint sounds of introductions...the wisps of her savior responded, leaving her and trailing gently away out of the room before dissipating, too small to sustain themselves outside of a host. She was sad to lose them, remnants of him as they were. Somewhere else, she was angry to lose the power. She stood, finding uneasy feet before steadying herself and walking towards the sounds of talk, following the pull of the wisps that she would not let go of. Her coat was still wrapped around her, sleeves pulled down, scarf trailing elegantly behind in the air. She pulled the hood up and over her head, the beaked peak coming to a rest just below her forehead. Now, without the impending danger of a newly-born avatar threatening her and the city beyond, she could afford to be a little more guarded, a little more in control. But those wisps...they lead you, pull you. Why follow, Aava? Why be lead, when you can lead? When you can walk unrestrained?

Aava quelled the voice before she found the others.

-

Find them she did. A group of five, three of them standing with innate authority oozing from their bones. She stood in her doorway, quietly observing, removed from the circle. Her gaze rested on one individual, watching and reading and taking in their aura, before it flitted to the next to do the same, until she taken in the whole room, finally resting her eyes upon Maki, his wisps pulling ever stronger for each step she'd taken toward him. She locked eyes with him, and blinked. In that blink, she felt that black leave her eyes, returning to normal. They weren't ready for that aspect yet, much less Makarios.

"It's contained." She told him, and suddenly felt eyes upon her. She recoiled, flexing fingers and feeling Nox run through her runes involuntarily, an instinctual response after so many years of isolation. She felt emotion, memories, echoed feelings from times since past - many of turmoil. She took a step back from the room, trying to evade the barrage of energy. Aava reached inside herself, finding that golden spark that had ignited within her from Maki's words and expanding it, pouring it into her carvings. She bolstered herself, and stepped forwards again, into the light this time, removing her hood as she did so, exposing her face fully, the carvings on her skin immediately apparent and her eyes glinting with Nox. She was in control once more. Now all she awaited was the assessment - and the inevitable barrage of questions.

Concealing a smirk at Raja's chosen alias, IllAdvised had a fair idea of what the Hyperhuman's abilities entailed. Acknowledging Makarios' recruit as she walked into the room, with a nod IllAdvised turned to address the rest of the room before he was interrupted by the base's internal alarms. Flashes of red light filled the main room before Glitch materialized in front of the group once more. The attractive form of a girl with deep red hair turned to talk to IllAdvised, her green eyes filled with concern.

"Mavericks, there's been a kidnapping. The local gang known as the Blood Hounds, recognized for human and sex trafficking, has abducted the daughter of Councilman Leonard Yeoman. Simone was last seen wearing a red jacket over top of a black tank top and blue jeans. She's sixteen years old, slim build and standing about five foot, three inches tall. The Councilman reports that she has blonde hair and blue eyes and was last seen outside her highschool at three in the afternoon. There has been no ransom demand as of yet but to my understanding of human trafficking and if the Mayor is correct about his daughter not being sexually active then the Hounds will be able to get more for her on the market than from the Councilman. Currently police are engaged in a highspeed pursuit through the Overtown District. Immediate response is advised." Glitch barely finished before IllAdvised began barking out orders.

"Angel, wings up give the police a hand. Feral take Mindfuck and head to the girl's last known location, see if you can pick up a scent or any sort of lead." Pausing, IllAdvised looked towards Fury and the injured Magni debating where they would best be served. "Fury you're with me." He ordered before calling towards Angel again. "Angel take the Magni with you, Feral says she's good in a fight and I have a feeling you're walking into one of those."

Motioning for Fury to follow him, IllAdvised dropped down a couple steps as the hiss of pneumatic could be heard from the door opening into the garage.

"Get in." IllAdvised ordered to Fury as he motioned towards the large black truck-like vehicle. "We're going to the girl's house, investigate her room, see who she's been talking to online and then we're going to visit the Hounds and knock some teeth out." IllAdvised growled over the roar of the engine as the truck was lifted to the bay doors. Opening up to the water, platforms rose from beneath the surface forming as bridge before IllAdvised revved the engine and launched the vehicle towards the city.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raja
[A Queeny Collaboration between Stein and Teeny....I mean Raja]

Makarios looked up as Thomas appeared, the former's eyes practically beaming in excitement. He was sure at Caleb noticed his excitement, and might even chastise him for it.

"Nice of you to join us" Makarios spoke aloud, his voice a little more measured yet still happily light. "We were all just getting acquainted." He turned his attention back to the shadow garbed male again as he settled on a vigilante mantle with which to rest his persona.

"Mindfuck," Makarios repeated, playing with the word, sounding out the euphonic beginning with the cacophonous end. He chuckled and looked to both Angel and IllAdvised. "That's definitely going to be a little name challenge for our PR guy to spin."

Raja smiled beneath his burqa as Feral addressed him more personably, though the amusement was surely visible within his eyes. "That works for me," he purred. "The less publicity I attract, the better." he explained, adding a playful wink. He scanned over the man's features; his face was fairly chiselled, his dark eyes wrapped beneath domino-style mask that clung to his sharp brow. He seemed biologically youthful; Raja felt Feral was definitely a few years younger than himself, but somehow he maintained an air of maturity beyond anyone else in the room. He seemed wise, graceful; it was as though his very being was connected to something greater; something that other people could never understand. It gave Feral a quiet but definite sense of 'knowing'.

Makarios took in their interaction, trying to get a sense of their new ally. "Mindfuck," he said once more. Even from his limited knowledge of the man behind the burqa, Makarios got a sense of a playful intellect. It was an observant and curious mind that danced behind Mindfuck's eyes, one that kept a similar rhythm to Maki's. The languid aura about the man, the quiet strength that was much more pronounced the more comfortable Mindfuck became with the group all melded together to create a complete and full image of this latest potential Maverick.

His eyes darted to the door as Aava appeared and he nodded his approval to her, his conspicous smile on his face once more. "I knew you could." He turned to Cal and Thomas, gesturing. "And I'd like to introduce you to my potential recruit. A Magni in a league all her own. Her power should precede any verbal introduction." But his intoduction of Aava was stopped by a new development. Immediately the sanguine feeling he had attained was dashed by more pressing matters. In an instant, Caleb was doing what he did best: leading the team with efficiency and without delay. To his pleasant surprise, he found himself paired with their latest recruit.

He was on the move almost before everyone had registered to get into action. He gestured to Mindfuck and they followed behind Caleb and Fury.

"It looks like you're my designated babysitter," Raja joked in reference to IllAdvised's rallying of the troops. Somehow, he was unsurprised that the team was already leaping into action; in some ways, he had expected it. A large part of him felt this was some kind of orchestrated initiation, but he knew better than to contest it at this point. He'd gladly play the game.

"Yep and I guess it's lucky I'm actually CPR certified, though....that will probably be the least of our worries in this life. C'mon," Makarios motioned as they entered the garage. His mind was already conccocting a rough miniature plan as he made his way to their ride. "Now typically," Makarios told Mindfuck as he took the tarp off of a sleek motorcycle, "I get around city by...other means. But, something tells me you might not be able to keep up as easy that way." He threw a playful look Mindfuck's way.

"Do we have any idea what school Ms. Yeoman was seen by?" Raja asked, keen to show he'd been paying attention but doing his best to remain subtle. "Your... Friend was pretty vague."

"Yes, you'll find that Ill is a large supporter of the 'Fill in the blanks' method. But it also allows us to work within our own parameters most times. And you'll find also that we value adaptability and cohesion above all else." Makarios spoke as he touched his mask, activating the tactile response HUD embedded in the helmet he donned. He tossed another to Mindfuck. His HUD produced a qucik result of their targets previous school. He touched the panel of the motorcycle, activating it's touch ignition. The vehicle purred to life, increasing it's purring to a growl as he sat on it and revved up the engine. He patted the seat behind him looking at Mindfuck. "Don't worry, I'll make sure you come back unscathed. Besides, this'll give us a chance to chat. But I'll warn you, there's a reason Ill prefers not to ride shotgun to me," he teased.

Lisa was forced to half jog to keep up with IllAdvised's lengthy strides. Or was it because the excitement was bubbling up inside her, ready to spill over like an unattended pot on a hob? This was it, this was really it! She was going out on a mission with the Mavericks! With IllAdvised! Some part of her, some small part in her deepest recesses, was busy saying, 'a girl just got kidnapped by a blood thirsty gang, try and show more decorum', and while Lisa knew that sounded a lot like wisdom she just couldn't help herself. This was her dream, unfolding before her very eyes!

She hopped into the black truck almost before IllAdvised spoke, belting herself in place. Safety first, after all. Her face stayed carefully neutral while the leader of the Mavericks spoke about the plan, hoping to give off the cool, detached air of someone who's done this all before. Nevermind she'd only ever been in two real fights in her life.

"Just call me the dentist, because knocking teeth out is my specialty!" She growled, before realizing how stupid that sounded and smiling sheepishly in apology, before remembering she was wearing a mask that covered her mouth. How stupid can you get!?! She resolved to sit quietly for the rest of the car journey, maybe work on her brooding a little, and only speak when spoken too. Anything else and she was liable to make a fool of herself. Or at least more of one.

"I never quip." IllAdvised's voice suddenly broke the silence. His head stayed straight ahead as he expertly navigated the vehicle through the city. "I was never any good at it." A small smirk appeared at the corners of his mouth before he added a final thought. "It suits you though." Raising a hand above his head, IllAdvised pushed a button as a the hood of the vehicle seemed to shift as a wave of vibration passed over it.

"Glitch are we operating in stealth mode now?" IllAdvised asked as the A.I.'s avatar appeared on the hood of the Predator.

"Affirmative boss, the car is disguised and won't attract any unwanted eyes." Came Glitch's reply as IllAdvised turned onto the bypass. The trip to the Mount Nysa district would have normally took nearly half an hour from New Alexandria. IllAdvised however didn't exactly adhere to the speed limit and with Glitch tracking all police cruisers in the area, he could safely exceed the posted limit. Getting off the main highway, IllAdvised came to a stop a block from the Councilman's house. Backing the Predator into a nearby alley, IllAdvised opened the top of the vehicle before wrapping an arm around Fury's waist and grappling to the roof above them.

"That's the Councilman's house there." IllAdvised informed her as he pointed towards a colonial style home. "Simone's room is on the second floor on the western side." Pulling a gadget from his belt, IllAdvised fired a zipline from their rooftop to above Simone's window. Extending a hook either wrist, he turned to Fury. "Ever use a zipline?"

Still breathy from the 'shortcut' they'd taken to the roof, her side tingling, not unpleasantly, from where his arm had wrapped around her, it took Fury a moment to reply.

"Uh, no, I almost did once, but. . . uh no." Her mind strayed back along the years to when her mom and dad had taken her to an adventure park in the country. There'd been a zipline across a lake there, and dad was going to take her across it, until mom convinced him it was far to dangerous for their perennially ill and fragile daughter. She shook the bad memories away, eager to forget just how sheltered she'd once been.

After all, look at her know, hanging out on rooftops with strange men.

"But, how hard can it be? Just hang on tight and don't fall off, right?"

Pressing a button on his left gauntlet, IllAdvised tossed it to Fury.
"It'll conform to your hand. Pull it on and snap your wrist back to extend the hook and then hold on tight. But wait for my sign" He warned before jumping off the roof top, IllAdvised hooked himself onto the line and slide towards the other building. As he approached it, IllAdvised flipped himself over the line and extending climbing spikes from his boots and hands. Adhering to the exterior wall of the house, IllAdvised poured a small acidic compound at the base of the window, the compound doing its job as it chew through the lock. Raising the window up, IllAdvised slipped through and then waved Fury forward.

Turning into the room, IllAdvised located a computer before reaching into his belt and inserted a small flash drive. The screen on the computer flashed as Glitch took control, while she did that, IllAdvised took a look around the room.

Fury followed across, though a good deal less gracefully than IllAdvised. Yoga and calisthenics was hardly the sort of training to get a person ready for breaking and entering, because Lisa was pretty sure now that's what they were doing. If not they probably would have used the front door. Rather than being put off by the thought, this just added to her excitement, and she couldn't help but grin as she clambered in through the window, careful to make as little noise as possible.

IllAdvised had already turned the computer on, and was probably running some sort of remote file to access Simone's e-mails. Lisa crossed to the other side of the room and started to scan through the girls shelf's, not really sure what she was looking for, but just didn't want to look like she was useless. Maybe she'd get lucky and find a diary, but really who kept a diary in this day and age.

No one, that's who.

"Did you notice anything new in her closet?" IllAdvised asked Fury from across the room. He had been watching the girl out of the corner of his eye and could tell she was trying to help but didn't exactly know how to do so. Instead of explicitly telling her, IllAdvised had decided to ask questions which would encourage Fury to connect the pieces for herself. Looking around the desk, IllAdvised picked up a trash can, looking inside for anything that could lend itself as a clue. A receipt, tags off new clothes, even a cap off of a new perfume could be a clue.

Picking up a receipt, IllAdvised quickly scanned it over. It was from Victoria Secret, likely meant the girl had bought new underwear. The item list confirmed as such as IllAdvised turned to Fury.

"She was dressing up for a date." He informed her. "A new matching underwear and bra and a new perfume." Turning back to the computer, IllAdvised tapped the side of his cowl. "Glitch, anything off the laptop." He asked.

"Her Skype history indicates she's been talking with a boy for quite some time." Glitch's voice came into the room so both Fury and IllAdvised could hear her. "Back tracking the signal leads to the Little Santiago District. Prime territory of the Blood Hounds, if I had to guess it was a bait account. It doesn't belong to any of her classmates, backpacking onto the signal the computer it leads to contains pornography, child pornography and numerous illegally downloaded media. The registration is a dead end, false name."

"Then we're going to Santiago." IllAdvised stated. "Upload the last known coordinates to the Predator. Fury, we're leaving." Heading towards the window, IllAdvised tapped his cowl again. "Feral, Simone was wearing 'Victoria Secret's Bombshell', did you need me to send a sample?"

Fury glanced in the closet to see that half of the clothes where hanging up neatly, the other half dumped on the closet floor, much like Simone had been trying things on, deciding they didn't work, then trying something different. Didn't take a master detective to figure this one out.

She was dressing for a date, she realized, seconds before IllAdvised said it aloud. Lisa realized that the Maverick leader must have come to this deduction a while ago, and was waiting for his recruit to catch up. She was grateful to him for giving her a chance to play detective.

Though that feeling of gratitude swiftly disappeared as Glitch described what it found on the Blood Hounds computer. Lisa could feel the bile building up in her chest, her fists clenched so tight it was a wonder the bones didn't just shatter. Child pornography? These guys were worse scum than she had thought, worse than she had feared. There was a pounding in her head, and she knew it wouldn't go away until the Blood Hounds had been punished.

We're going to Santiago, said IllAdvised, to which Lisa couldn't be happier. The sooner they got there, the sooner she could pound those scumbags into the concrete.

The message from Glitch interrupted the celestial Maverick as he was about to make a statement to the newcommers, a young woman was held hostage, and the crime seemed like it was born from malice - not greed. Not asking for a ransom for a high stakes target as a criminal was never a good sign, it was sort of like if bank robbers showed their faces. It never did end well. Thomas looked at Caleb as he told him to take pursuit and help the police out - what he wanted to say was 'do their job for them', but Caleb knew that Thomas didn't like to think of himself better than the police. Thomas held up as the other four all headed out of the lighthouse, which took less than a minute.

He turned to the last one, the one he couldn't recall the name off. He walked over to her and extended his hand "My name's Angel. Are you well enough to help out? Any chance you could fly?" He asked her, the light on his wrist let him know that the police were still in hot pursuit, and really - he didn't have a whole lot of time to waste.

[Yet Another Fabulous Collaboration Between Their Highnesses Stein and Raja]

Makarios zipped from the lighthouse, with his new recruit seated behind him. The technological advancements of the bike became much more apparent as Feral pressed a button and a holographic display of their route appeared on the dash. The seemingly oversized windshield began to overlap on itself in a small shell fashion, creating a small, aerodynamic, clear glass bubble that covered their top halves and blocked them from the wind.

"Glitch, can you give us a reflective cover for the bubble shield please?" Makarios asked the AI through his helmet.

The sleek and matte black finished bike could hardly be seen in the night as Makarios drove it farther away from the lighthouse. The speedometer read 60 and climbing before Feral and Mindfuck had made it out of the district. "Now hand on tight, because I take turns pretty...sharply," Makarios warned as one came up. Only barely tapping the brake line, Makarios slid into the turn, the bubble shield amost scraping the ground. Without pause, Makarios continued the turn, smiling to himself. It was this kind of speed that really let his beast out without any magic. He gunned it and took off down the next road.

He spoke casually into the helmet mic. "So Mindfuck," the name still brought him an intrigued joy, he lingered on it. "What drives you?"

Raja marvelled at the technology the Mavericks evidently had at their fingers, but he had little time to truly appreciate it as Feral gave him a brief moment of warning before making the type of turn usually reserved for rollercoasters. Raja's stomach was in his throat as he clung tightly to Feral's waist, his dainty arms pressed against the reckless driver's defined stomach. Feeling slightly woozy and revved up from the adrenaline, it took a second for him to recover before he realised Feral was now addressing him.

"Fun," he said, putting little thought into his response; he was unable to give his undivided attention to the question due to keeping one eye on the road. The unrest in his gut was silenced by the buzz that to Raja whenever he felt his life was on the line. For some reason unbeknownst to him, he always seemed to enjoy those moments where he might very well die more than any other.

Feral raised an eyebrow and a tone of inquisitive interest left him. He had to fight not to look back at the new recruit, lest he take his attention from the road.

"I like to have fun. I'm no saviour," Raja elaborated. "I do this for the thrill. Being able to help people is just a perk of the job." In his heart, Raja knew that the main motivation behind his vigilantism was a desire to help set people on the right path, but he didn't like to admit that. The notion of being a good person brought with it a sense of vulnerability; Raja was polite, gracious and charming - but he was not vulnerable.

"What about you?" he asked, feigning polite interest. After all, his main cause for aligning with the Mavericks was to form some sort of circle that could protect him if necessary. He wasn't here to scout out potential dinner party guests.

"Me? My actions are driven by a need to atone for past sins. A push to control that which I couldn't before," Makarios told him simply. The words themselves should have carried and uncomfortable weight, but Makarios had thought and admitted to them so many times, that the words seemed to shrug off of him. A simple admittance as if he had just mentioned his favorte artist. But he chuckled as he thought back to Mindfuck's answer to his initial question.

"But, I think you'll find that if this is meant for you, your true reason will manifest itself," told his passenger, a nostalgic happiness coloring his words. "Or at least...you'll be more comfortable professing it to the world," he added in with a sly undertone.

They were just past halfway to their destination and Makarios had hardly dropped in speed. In fact, his speed had inceased in some areas of the city previously. "Now, it may be a little late to address this but, you don't have to worry about me letting anything happen to you on here." As he spoke, he crosed an intersection as the light turned red. Makarios mashed the brake line, sending the bike up on its front wheel. With angled precision, Makarios slinked along with the momentum, creating a fluid motion that took away most of the jarred halting sensation. The bike made a 90 degree turn right and landed with the smallest of thuds back on its tires before peeling off through the light traffic.

"I didn't doubt you for a second." Raja purred, with only the faintest trace of sarcasm.

Maki smirked, "Good. The good thing about having an array of beasts in your head is that your reaction time is near godlike." There was an unrelenting poise to Mindfuck that delighfully surprised Makarios. He could already see the male in action, tackling challenges with a wizened grace. There was something about that mentality that caused Makarios to ask his next question.

"So from your...eloquent alias and mental fortitude, would I be wrong in guess that your Hype gene activated on a mental or psychic level for you?" Some individuals were more secretive than others, for good reason, about their powers, but Makarios liked to tackle the bull by the horns.

Raja (or Mindfuck, as he was slowly becoming accustomed to) was slightly taken aback by Feral's speculative skill; though, on reflection, he swiftly realised that his namesake was glaringly unsubtle. He paused with hesitation; not yet sure whether he should divulge the nature of his talents. It did not take him much time to deduce that, within the coming moments, he would no doubt have to put his skills to use in search of Ms. Yeoman. Withholding the information from Feral at this point would do little but damage the blossoming rapport between the two.

"Yes," he affirmed. "Something to that effect. I've never paid much attention to the science behind these things. I'm much more concerned with their potential, and how I can use them." he explained. "I've learned a fair few tricks." He said, not particularly inclined to bore Feral with a detailed list of the various techniques he'd developed. He choice mattered not, as the bike pulled up at the gates of a large high school campus.

"And what of these beasts within you?" Raja said, as he dismounted the motorcycle. He wasn't about to let Feral off with a vague statement like that after exposing himself. "I'd love to learn more about that." If Raja seemed somehow more open when posing the question, it was because he genuinely desired the information he was asking for; anything that was beneficial to Raja interested him greatly. "I apologise for my ignorance," he added. "I tend to give the media very little of my time." he explained. "I'm not quite as familiar with your antics as I ought to be."

An involuntary laugh left Makarios as Mindfuck called his exploits 'antics.' "That's a pretty succinct definition of my nightlife, if we were to look at it critically." They approached the school, which had long since shut-down for day, with locked doors and dark corridors. They made quick work of picking the lock before entering. "Essentially, through a little bit of effort, I can channel the properties of any animal I've come into contact with."

They stood in a dark hallway filled with lockers. "Glitch," Makarios spoke to his comm link, "could you provide me with our target's locker number?" The AI did so and soon Feral and Mindfuck were walking there.

"For instance," Makarios started, picking up their last conversation, "I can hear your slightly elevated heartbeat and can smell the the sweet fragrance of your parfum. And," he said his voice slightly trailing off as they came to Miss Yeoman's locker, "I can also smell that she wore Coco Mademoiselle. A fragrance I'm sure I don't have to explain." Her choice of fragrance was going to make it much easier to track her, but Makarios felt they might be able to get more intel on her kidnappers if he searched a little more."It just takes a little effort on my part."

Raja listened intently as Feral briefly explained the main breadth of his abilities as the pair headed towards Ms. Yeoman's locker. The idea of Feral's heightened senses picking up on traits that Raja had spent years learning to conceal bothered him; one of his greatest strengths was his ability to save face and maintain an aura of ease in the most panicked situations. If Feral could pick up on Raja's subtle signs of anticipation, who knows what he'd be able to identify when things got dire?

Still, his own grievances aside, he had to admit that the Hype's abilities were impressive.

Maki checked his HUD, containing a map of the school. "Now, I gather there's more evidence to be had. What say we split for 5 and reconvene with what we've gathered?" Makarios asked the new recruit.

"I think that would be wise." Raja agreed, in part because it made sense and in part because he would appreciate the solitude. "I'll leave you to sniff out any traces of Ms. Yeoman and her questionable choices in parfumery," cooed Raja as he smized at Feral mischievously. "I'll lurk around upstairs and try not to get myself into too much trouble."

And with that, the cloaked figure paced out down a hallway, his black garb effectively becoming an invisibility cloak as he vanished into the dark corridor like a snake into the grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.