Vigilance: Rise of the Mavericks [The Cheeky Banter Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright sounds good!

I'm planning on finishing the sheet tomorrow. Haven't had time thanks to work. But I've been following the thread so don't you worry about me!
Oh hey look! You exist! Hi new person

tumblr_m0uib7BuPs1rnms8po1_500.gif

Oh yeah, I'm not even sure exactly how we want to start it yet. Obviously we need to have leads on new recruits.
Already got an idea on how to start it. Honestly, I'm wondering what ya'll would do without me.

Uggh.

C-Could we do that tomorrow, perhaps? Cuz I'm having a headache and a terrible night of sleep.
Yeah, but like, I'm having an RPDR marathon with my pan little and we've gotta plan jerseys and swap formal tanks.

Oh hey look! You exist! Hi new person

tumblr_m0uib7BuPs1rnms8po1_500.gif

Already got an idea on how to start it. Honestly, I'm wondering what ya'll would do without me.

Yeah, but like, I'm having an RPDR marathon with my pan little and we've gotta plan jerseys and swap formal tanks.
I have no idea what any of the last part means lol.

I ended up having an idea I posted in the Pad, curious to see if our ideas are similar at all.

Not super satisfied with the backstory. I was planning on including another event but I decided I might be able to tie it into the beginning of the IC (correct me if I'm wrong, but as I'm aware of it, plans are for the newbies to be recruited in game. I think I can work my plan motivations for her into that).

Anyway, the sheet!

• | NAME: | Irene Adams

| ALIAS(ES): | Eventide (though not yet)

| PLACE OF BIRTH: | Charleston, South Carolina, United States

| SPECIES: | Homo-Magnus

| D.O.B.: | September 13th​, 1863

| AGE: | 151 (Appears 25ish)

| SEX: | Female

| SEXUALITY: | Heterosexual

| APPEARANCE: | Though not the most thin, Irene is certainly on the short side, her soft skin brown and unmarred, and her eyes light brown. Her straight, smooth, black hair falls midway down her torso, her bangs kept straight and orderly. Her pale pink lips often find themselves smiling in amusement or pursing in disgust. She typically wears casual dresses and loafers, having a fondness for white and light gray shades. She has no superhero outfit, however, as she has yet to seriously consider such an occupation. Yet.

| CLASSIFICATION: | Magni Adept

• | ABILITIES: | Trained by a several century old Maven ranked Magni, Irene has spent almost a century and a half perfecting her spellcraft. Her focuses are on manipulating both light and shadow in tandem. Her light manipulation leans towards the offense in the form of searing rays and solid beams, while her shadow magic leans towards the support, blinding, shifting one's footing, hiding something from sight. Relying on contrast, shadows become easier to manipulate at the point in which they seem darkest next to the illuminated area around them, while beams of light become harsher or more firm the darker it is. With shadows, size in particular is another point of note: the shadow of a human is easy to bend to her needs, but anything larger than a big car or a small building is likely too tough for her to manage.

| SKILLS: | Despite her age, Irene isn't particularly notable at anything except for her own spellwork and a bit of book knowledge, most notably history and some survival techniques. She does have rather good vision however, but is only a bit better at seeing in the dark then the average person who's face has been in a screen for much of their lives.

| LIMITATIONS: | Physically, Irene is at the average capabilities for an adult woman. Mentally, she is stubborn, but a bit lacking education wise due to her home life.

Magically, her specializations leave her lacking in some other areas: she hasn't forgotten the basics (such as healing minor injuries or producing small amounts of some element). Her spells do have a range: after so many meters they expend more power to cast. At certain ranges, her light beams begin to fizzle and her shadows stretch to a measly wire thin tendril.

| WEAKNESSES: | Irene's specific types of spells require not only Nox manipulation, but contrast. Such is the duality of her powers: both a strength and a weakness. In pitch blackness, she is often unable to do anything with her shadows that isn't already in effect, such as shrouding someone's sight or casting something in darkness. In bright daylight, her beams are diminished in power.

Also, while her shadow spells aren't affected by moving into the light, her light can be reflected by mirrors, even when solid. Also, if either are made physical, they can be moved with physical force as well. Light feels rigid and warm (at its coolest: it can burn with more power) while shadows are chilly, slick, and oily.

| APPLICATIONS: |
    Light Magic: With a variety of spells, Irene can create light. At its simplest, it is no different from the light of a candle or bulb, merely illuminating an area and producing a small amount of heat, shining from her fingertips or a created orb. It is also elementary to splinter the light and changes its color in the spectrum (creating light outside of the visible spectrum, such as infrared or ultraviolet, may be theoretically possible but Irene has never even considered it).

Increasing the intensity is also within her capabilities, and she can use the orbs to explode into a bright flash, a brief concussive force of solid light (to the strength of small explosions in darkened areas even), or a burning burst. She can manipulate the path of the orb, but as it is quite solid, it can be knocked away or moved, though the stronger it is, the hotter it is to the touch until it bursts at her will.

She can also create rays of light, both from her body (usually fingertips, as they are easier to aim) or even other light sources, though they tend to be weaker, and are likely to damage the actual source. Firing beams from other sources can allow her to fire from otherwise impossible angles.

Shadow Magic: While Irene can not create darkness, she can make use of what is already there, for underneath every object is a shadow that she can make hers. Once she controls it, she can shift its position: moving it from under one's feet like a rug, slipping around and covering something from sight, or her favorite, using it to cover a target's eyes or face, distracting them. However, in darker conditions, it can be harder for even her to make out where the shadows she can and is manipulating are: if anyone could manipulate the Earth's shadow itself, it would only be the mightiest of Magni. The best she can do is if she's inside a dark vehicle (such as a can or a trailer) or a very small building. In those conditions she can manipulate the entire shadow, but still suffers from lack of visibility.

• | WEAPONS: | None

| TOOLS: | Aside from her phone (a smartphone which she doesn't feel is aptly named, as it's not particularly intelligent), she carries little in her small purse but identification and currency.

| ATTIRE: | Aside from her typical, casual clothes, the best she can manage is to warp her own shadow to cover herself in a makeshift garb.

• | BACKSTORY: | Born during the American Civil War, Irene is quite in the dark about her heritage, and isn't particularly interested, despite her mixed race and the general attitude towards the idea at the time. What she does know is that at least one of her parents was a Magni, and they are deceased. Irene was raised by a Magni named Eliza Freeman, who took her in at infancy. Despite the name she went by, Eliza was in fact, African, and several centuries old. She generally kept her appearance at middle age, but Irene has seen her more natural state once, some time ago.

Irene may have been out of the loop on a number of things as she was raised in solitude, but she would know the Nox, as many of her waking moments were spent studying it in the dim light, practicing its forms for days, weeks, months, hours, years. In that seclusion, it seemed to be all she knew: Eliza was not very personable, and often away, forbidding Irene to leave her abode. Not that she needed the verbal order, as it was impossible anyway due to Eliza's brilliant spellwork. Her curiosity increasing every time she was denied, Irene regularly attempted to free herself, but never did it happen. In an attempt to sate Irene's curiosity, Eliza would tell of the world outside, but accompanied with her explanations and stories was always that warning:

"Man is full of a hubris I cannot understand. They see themselves as great, place themselves above others, yet they do not even know what energies course through their very being and all of nature itself. They do not know of what no doubt lurks beyond the stars. And yet, if they did, nothing would change."

While Eliza's stories were certainly skewed towards that theme, Irene always wondered about what she wasn't telling, but it would not be until recently when she would get to learn for herself. When she became a fully fledged Adept, Eliza decided it was time for her to be allowed to see the world. Irene was told that she was now competent enough to avoid danger, but Irene wondered if the truth was that Eliza was becoming less certain about her wards.

Suddenly thrust out into the world, the 15 decade old woman was a bit lost, though not helpless. She knew she was well beyond the average human, but she couldn't help but consider and reconsider her tutor's warning. Could humanity come to accept the knowledge she knew? Would they rebuke it and continue to fear and shun the Magni? What would come as they embraced it? Perhaps with some inspiration, Irene could come to a conclusion satisfactory for all.

Last edited:
Reading the first tab and seeing another Adept had me anxious for diversity initially but man, that's a really cool way of using magic, and it really sets Aava and Irene apart in both their skill, themes, and powersets. Glad to have another magni in the team without causing a lack of disparity. I'm sure Aava will have something to say about the conflict of Nox-use between the two, though.

• Thank You
Reactions: Craftsdwarf
Been pretty swamped with RL type stuff this last week, but now that the weekends rolled around I'm confident I'll have it up tonight.

Reactions: Hillan
  • | NAME: |
    Lisa Walker​

| ALIAS(ES): |
    Fury​

| PLACE OF BIRTH: |
    Black Hammock, Florida, U.S.A​

| SPECIES: |
    Hyperhuman​

| D.O.B.: |
    February 13​

| AGE: |
    20​

| SEX: |
    Female​

| SEXUALITY: |
    Heterosexual​

| APPEARANCE: |
    Lisa is tall for a girl, standing just shy of six foot tall. Though neither particularly skinny or bulky, her body is well proportioned, almost curvaceous. Long limbed and graceful, she could have made quite an accomplished dancer. Her skin is pale perfection in that it is unmarked by either scar or ink, though it is quite common to sunburn, even in weak sun. Though not heavy in muscle she is toned, due to a fondness for yoga and calisthenic exercise coupled with regular cardio workouts.

The term 'Girl Next Door' jumps to mind when asked to describe Lisa. Her features are warm and open, her summer-blue eyes concealing nothing but a honest friendliness uncommon in today's cynical world. Her smile, albeit slightly crooked, is her most disarming feature. Many an icy heart has been melted when graced by it. Her dad, Red Walker, will tell it often and loud that she is the most beautiful girl in the world, and in the moments that she smiles it's easy to take his father's pride for the gospel truth.

Lisa, like most women her age, doesn't restrict herself to one style of outfit. Depending on the time of year, weather, and her own mood, her clothing can vary considerably, though she prefers to keep it relatively conservative when it comes to showing skin. She has a liking for bright, summery colours.​

| CLASSIFICATION: |
    Juno (Sub-Class: Orcus)​
  • | ABILITIES: |
    Lisa's body has the ability to convert physical pain into theoretically limitless super-strength, speed, durability and regeneration. (I know it sounds like a game breaking concept, but let me try to explain myself!)

Lisa's resting rate, the level of strength she has before suffering any pain, is no more than the average for a girl of her size and weight who regularly engages in physical exercise. After that her powers will increase relative to the trauma she suffers. For example if she accidentally stubs her toe then the gain would only be slight, however if she was to be punched in the face by a champion heavyweight boxer then her gain would be greater. This doesn't mean she does the most painful things to get stronger faster though, as at her resting rate he is no more durable than anyone else. If she was to be hit by a tank shell at resting then she would be blown apart just like anyone else. However, theoretically she could build her powers up to be able to withstand a tank shell.

Her strength, speed and durability is fueled by the energy her body builds while receiving pain. This means that although she gets more powerful, her time with that power is finite, having only until she has burned through her stored energy before returning to his resting rate. The harder she hits, the faster she moves, the more punches she takes, this all uses precious energy.

A downside to her increase in durability is that eventually things that powered her before will stop hurting, failing to give her any more power. To go back to the previous example, if the boxer was to punch her once then her increase would be great. The second time the boxer punches her then the increase wouldn't be as great, as Lisa's durability would have increase, negating the boxer's ability to hurt her. If the boxer continued to hit her eventually his strikes would have no effect whatsoever, except to hurt the boxers fist. This means if Lisa wants to build himself to zenith level power then she has to constantly find more threatening foes.

Lisa's resting rate regeneration is actually higher than normal -Surface cuts and the like will heal over in the space of seconds- it has similar setbacks to his durability. Although having the ability to heal is useful to someone who routinely goes out of his way to get hurt it also means that the harder his body is working to offset the pain he's receiving then the less return he's seeing for it.

Lisa's pain tolerance is astronomically high, likely a secondary effect of his powers. Even at her resting she can take hits that would knock full grown men out and still keep on keeping on. However she can still be 'overloaded' and knocked out. Too much trauma and her nervous system will shut its self down, a defense measure that even her superhuman body can't resist.​

| SKILLS: |
    Lisa has a sharp mind, one especially adept at reflexive thinking, she is able to take small pieces of information and develop a plan with them in incredibly short spaces of time, even when presented with new and unknown circumstances. As an artist Lisa has a vivid imagination, one that lends itself to creating out of the box ideas.

Her open and friendly allows her to work well in a team atmosphere. She's not going to be running off half-cocked on any lone wolf quests anytime soon. Not only that, but she'll be there to encourage her team-mates to rely upon each other as well.

She has a pretty fantastic mind for details, especially the small ones. Small, apparently inconsequential things most people would dismiss, she remembers with ease.
    A talented artist.

| LIMITATIONS: |
    Lisa's prime limitation is a complete lack of any previous combat experience. She never even got into a schoolyard tussle. Powers or no, that's a major set back.

Her parents are extremely protective of her. It was an uphill battle for Lisa to get them to let her to move out to The Sound for college, so she can only imagine the fit they would collectively throw if they found out about her extra-curricular activities. A lot of time and effort is put into hiding her double life from everyone in her civilian one.

Lisa is an idealist and an optimist, and she always tries to see the best in people. She doesn't just give second chances, but third, fourth and fifth ones too. While not necessarily a bad thing it does mean she runs the risk of trusting people she shouldn't. Perhaps not the best trait for someone in her situation.

While she is accepting of other's flaws concerning her own efforts Lisa is a perfectionist, expecting the best from herself and her own work. Lisa is able to push herself to further heights and grow as a person. However it can lead to her throwing herself head first at problems that she may not be equipped to handle, determined to both push and prove herself.​

| WEAKNESSES: |
    The obvious weakness of Lisa's powers is that she has to get hurt for them to work. Despite having an abnormally high pain tolerance Lisa is just like everybody else in that she hates getting hurt. She much rather finish a fight with as little damage to herself as possible.

She must be careful not to be overconfident in her strength or durability levels. Taking a bullet to the head when she is at 'resting' rate will kill her as surely as it would anyone else.

A downside to her increase in durability is that eventually things that powered her before will stop hurting, failing to give her any more power. To go back to the previous example, if the boxer was to punch her once then her increase would be great. The second time the boxer punches her then the increase wouldn't be as great, as Lisa's durability would have increased, negating the boxer's ability to hurt her. If the boxer continued to hit her eventually his strikes would have no effect whatsoever, except to hurt the boxers fist. This means if Lisa wants to build herself to zenith level power then she has to constantly find more threatening foes.

Although having the ability to heal is useful to someone who routinely goes out of her way to get hurt it also means that the harder her body is working to offset the pain she's receiving then the less return she's seeing for it.

Lisa's power is only activated by physical pain, so spiritual, mental or emotional pain will NOT give her any increase.

Her nervous system can be overloaded much like anyone else's. Electrical attacks will lock her muscles, intense burns will knock her out, gases and poisons at resting rate will have near full effect. (Her healing factor will help him deal with the toxins more effectively)​

| APPLICATIONS: |
    Nearly every application of Lisa's powers are related to her combat efficiency. Strength to hit harder, durability to soak up the blows, regeneration to recover more quickly from injuries, speed to overwhelm her foes.

She can use her strength enhanced legs to leap extremely high when she has sufficient energy, meaning she can traverse the city's skyline more efficiently. This goes well with her super speed, meaning she can make it from A to B in record time. This only applies when she has energy to spare.
  • | WEAPONS: |
    She carries a stungun and pepper spray on her, useful for those times that she isn't at higher level strength. Mostly she ignores melee weapons as even things like the hurt caused to her knuckles by punching someone can give her some sort of gain at lower levels of durability, and when she is at higher levels where knuckle strain is no longer an issue the weapons are no longer necessary.​

| TOOLS: |
    N/A at the moment.​

| ATTIRE: |
    At the moment she just wears black combat trousers, boots and gloves, along with a dark hoody. Over the hoody she dons a ballistics vest she purchased using money she had 'borrowed' from her step father. She uses a dark face buff and the hood to conceal her identity. All this is just for the moment though, as she has big ideas of how she would like her alter-ego to eventually look while on patrol, once she manages to assemble the funds necessary.​
  • | BACKSTORY: |
    Lisa was born to Redford 'Red' Walker and Michelle Lynn, on again/off again high school sweet hearts. Red was a marine who sent every pay check home, while Michelle passed her days working as a cashier in a local supermarket. While Lisa wasn't planned both her parents resolved to make the best of their unexpected 'miracle'.

Things took a turn when Lisa was born prematurely. Thankfully both mother and child survived the experience, though Lisa's health was never great after that. She was left with a host of medical complaints including lowered immune systems and decreased motor functions. From then on she was plagued by illness, the family quickly accruing a mountain of hospital bills that there was no feasible way they could pay in their current situation. Red was approached by a shadowy organisation who claimed they could make all his problems go away if he worked for them. He took them up on their offer, leaving the marines to become a freelance mercenary working for the Constantine's Guard. (Red is a hype, but both he and the Guard were unaware of that fact at the time.)

Red's new job seen him perform several despicable acts, all so he could raise the money to help his family. Ironically the deeds he committed and hid from them made him think himself unworthy of his wife and daughter, and he grew more and more distant from them. Michelle eventually found solace from her husband's supposed indifference in the arms of another man, Colton Fitch. Fitch was the shy and reclusive millionaire owner of a family winery located Mount Nysa. He and Michelle had 'met' in an internet chat site, and developed their relationship from there. Eventually Michelle separated from Red and moved to live with Colton, taking Lisa with her. Lisa was just old enough to understand what was happening, but both parents resolved to raise her right, despite their personal differences.

Lisa's hype gene activated during puberty, and with their arrival her illnesses disappeared almost overnight. Doctors hired by Colton were. Starts to follow the Mavericks rise in the media.(Waiting to hear back from Wraith on some stuff to finish filling this part out.)

Eventually Lisa desired a degree of independence from her family. After months of begging and bartering her parents agreed to allow her to move out and get a place of her own while she attends art college. It was shortly after moving in that, no longer insulated by her step fathers wealth, she began to realize that not everybody had life as easily as she had. Crime, while not rampant, certainly held sway in the city, the criminals bolstered by the apparent fall of the Mavericks. Realizing that with her powers she is perfectly suited to taking the fight directly to those who consider themselves untouchable. She decides to follow the example set by IllAdvised and his ilk by punishing the wicked, and more importantly helping the innocent. After all, she knows what it feels like to be helpless.

• -Lisa is aware that her personality doesn't really fit the 'Fury' alias, especially when one considers that the Furies of old were monstrous, foul-smelling hags, with bats' wings, coal-black skin, and hair entwined with serpents. Instead she picked it for the fact that they were powerful and unmitigatible agents of justice, a fact she hopes to emulate. That and the name just sounds cool.

-Lisa's father, Red, is another of my characters in Wraith's 'Memento Mori' RP.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lord Wraith
Anna Kendrick! Woot!

At least ONE maverick will be gorgeous.

Bitch. Have you even SEEN the original three?

They're all flawless.

Edit: No homo

Edit2: Except Maki.

Reactions: Stein
Damn look at all the bitches! Ro used to be the only one! lol

Wait...

All our recruits are female...

,,,And Chad left?

Oh talk about irony!

Alrighty, that's Lisa pretty much finished. Still need to add a bit to the back-story, which I can do after Wraith get's back to me on Skype, but other than that I'm (hopefully) finished!

The official Mavericks mascot.

Mascot's Adam...

He blew up, and it's too soon to replace him... All the wounds have not healed.

Also, I should prolly finish Thomas. Ya'll are making mad progress.

Aiming to have this IC up this weekend before all momentum dies haha

Status
Not open for further replies.