Victims (Surpysoup x towerofpimps)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He stared at the business card, feeling his cheeks flush. Oh. A phone number. Given specifically for the personal number, too, not just as a 'If you hear anything that might help in the investigation' number but a 'call anytime' number. Wow. He smiled and pulled out his wallet, slipping the card in with the things in that. His most prized possessions. Yep.

"Thanks. Uh.. Sure, I'll catch a ride with you, since you're offering." He chuckled, following the man outside. He hugged himself, rubbing his arms. "It is a little chilly. And hey. It's cool. I'm a drifter. Beds aren't that big of a deal for me..."

Jason shook his head "Then it wouldn't be often that you got a bed so a bed should be a big deal" He said unlocking a black sedan and slipping inside "Sorry about the mess, having been on the road and all I don't get much time to clean" he said clearing the garbage can and throwing it in the back seat. It was clear that is wasn't a police issued vehicle considering there was no police radio on it and no lights. He turned the car on and blasted the heat before pulling out onto the road.

"So where are we going?" He asked rolling up to a red light. "Left, right or straight?"

Luke climbed into the car, looking around. He'd never owned a car before. He'd always had a bike. Now... Now he had Greyhound buses. He stared ahead, then blinked at the light they were approaching.

"Oh. Straight. Then a left at the next light." He smiled, stretching his legs out. It was a nice car. Must've been one of the perks of having a government job like the FBI. "Which hotel are you staying at?"

He wanted to fill the potential silence with more talk, but didn't really know what to talk about. Hotels were boring, unless something interesting happened at them. Not much to do when you're staying alone, either. Movies, maybe. Room service? Eh, expensive. Skin flicks, sure. But Jason didn't really seem the kind to order a flick like that. His cheeks flushed as his mind wandered, but he shook his head and looked at the man driving. He was focused on the road ahead, following the directions Luke had given him. They were taking the left turn, and Luke pointed to a side street coming up on their right. The apartment complex wasn't the best. Slummy, almost. But it was cheap, and right now, Luke wanted something he could at least call a shelter until he either figured out where he was going next...or landed a job that could help him afford some place nicer.

"Gosh... I'm kind of embarrassed to have you see where I'm staying..." He laughed a little, fixing the collar of his tee shirt. "Not the prettiest place, but it works for me. I appreciate this, by the way. Maybe we can... I dunno... Hang out again sometime. When you're not too busy doin your FBI thing."

He smiled at Jason, hoping to get a smile out of him as well. He wanted to see the bespectacled man smile.

Jason nodded and drove in the silence. It was a silence that wasn't too awkward and he glanced occasionally glanced at his passenger. There wasn't much to talk about so he let the silence be. But still it should be filled with some kind of noise... Jason started to get lost in thought and found himself pulling over a few minute later in front of a slummy apartment building. He frowned a bit as he looked at it, it didn't look exactly safe.

Luke started to speak which caused Jason's head to whip around and look at him. He finally registered what the other was saying before shaking out and giving him a smile "Yeah we can do that as long as I'm not pulled away but another addition to the case." he said scratching the back of his neck "So uh... Gimme a call and tell me when you're free" he said looking down. "I'll wait until you're inside before I leave." he told Luke looking around the area "It's pretty late now..."

Jason let out a small yawn and turned down the heat a touch to keep himself awake. "So I guess I'll see you later then?" he asked looking back at the man in his car as he pushed up his glasses that have slipped down.

Luke hesitated before he opened the door. He didn't want to leave Jason, he didn't want to be left alone with his own thoughts. The apartment was too quiet. Too empty. Another addition to the case? He'll see what he could do. If he spent all of his time with Jason, there wouldn't be any time for anything else to happen, right?

"I'm free tomorrow afternoon.. Three-ish," Luke stated, looking at the sky in thought. He smiled again. Come on... pleeeease, give me a smile. "So maybe we can go walk around a park and bird watch together, huh?"

He chuckled softly, borderline awkwardly. He pat at his hair, trying to flatten it, but from getting damp and then drying weirdly, it was sticking up everywhere. Guess he should just call it a night. No sense in keeping Jason even longer. He looked so tired.

"Well, then.. Uh.. Yeah, I'll give you a call," he murmured, looking away. Shy smile. He got out of the car and closed the door, glancing back at Jason briefly to give him a little wave, then made his way to the door to his dingy apartment.

"I think I can do three" Jason said with a wide smile "Goodnight Luke." he waved as Luke got out the car. He did as he promised and watched his new... (Acquaintance? Friend?) enter his building before turning around to go to his hotel finally. He took his time driving to his hotel, Luke lingering on his mind has he does. He wondered what the man's story was, what made him the drifter he was?

Humming to himself he parked and grabbed his bags before checking in. He walked into his room and locked the door before promptly taking off most of his clothes to sleep. He flopped on the bed and played with his phone for a few minutes before setting up for it to charge and falling asleep to the quiet tunes the electronic was producing.

The next morning his alarm blared and his got up and ready in half an hour and out the door to the local PD station. He was to brief the cops on what was going on with the case and what to keep an eye out for. Not to mention talk about all the previous other victims. This was going to be one hell of a morning...

Luke was restless the moment he entered his apartment. He locked the door, turned on a few lights, and wanted to eat something, but didn't want to eat anything he had in the kitchen. So he wandered around the few rooms, stared at himself in the bathroom mirror for just a few seconds before turning the light off and rushing into the living room. The futon was there, set up as a couch for now, but easily folded out into a bed. That's where he's been sleeping for the past few days. A fold out futon. He situated everything and flopped onto the thin cushion and closed his eyes, hoping sleep would just...take him. It didn't. He remained awake for at least another hour before he apparently slipped off to sleep out of pure boredom.

The next morning was slow for him. He had an alarm set on his cell phone, but he almost didn't hear it. He groggily took a shower, ate bowl of cereal, thought about eating another, then got dressed in the day's outfit. Another tee-shirt and pants. Usual sneakers. His hair dried as a mess, and he didn't have any product to fix it. Luckily it wasn't too bad, and messy, bed-hair was the style these days. Right?

He was going to spend his time at the local animal shelter. Volunteer until three or so. He loved animals, and since he got his first dog from a shelter back home, he figured he could return the favor and help out when he could. Besides, he needed something to do until he got to see Jason again.

Jason walked into the briefing room in a simple black suit and folder in his arms, it seemed he didn't go anywhere these days without it. "Agent Delanoy would you come up now" the Leiutenant asked. Jason snapped out of his thoughts and walked up to the small podium with a white board behind it.

He started with the newest victim writing her name on the board in black before the ten other names followed. He described each crime while writing dates on the wall and and times of death. All of them were killed around eleven o'clock at night and all of them found somewhat dismembered (some more than others).

At the end of his speech he opened up for suggests and questions before finally stepping down for the homocide Leiutenant took over again.

Around three was when Luke was finishing up at the shelter, just as he figured he would. He left with cheery smiles, waving goodbye to the other volunteers, and made his way out of the building and down the road. The day was considerably better than yesterday, as no storm appeared out of thin air. It was nice, cool, and there was a gentle breeze. Excellent park weather.

He fished his phone out of his pocket, then pulled his wallet out. The business card Jason had given him was still in there, and he got that out next. Then he put the number into his phone and sent it a message. He hoped Jason could get texts..

'Hey, we still meeting around 3?' was all he sent. Maybe he should've mentioned it was him, but who else would Jason be expecting to meet at 3? It was the time they'd agreed on, right? He sighed and sent another text after that, adding 'It's Luke. Want to grab lunch?'

The agent answered all the questions the detectives and officers had after the meeting and stuck around to look through and organize his folder after last night. No connections to the victims yet other than they all seemed to be walking around outside at night when they were killed. Jason was going to die young because of stress if he didn't solve this case.

Jacob frowned when his phone buzzed and read the message before remembering that he gave Luke his number. He started typing a message when he got a new message from Luke and smiled at his phone. 'Sure. Where are you, I'll pick you up' he sent before pocketing the phone and giving his leave to the Lieutenant and walking out the door to his car.

Luke hummed lightly to himself as he sat on a park bench, waiting for the reply text. There were pigeons nearby, and an elderly couple sitting on the bench across from him. They were feeding the pigeons bread crumbs. It was sort of adorable. He slouched further on the bench and fished his phone from his pocket.

'Park bench. Watching some birds. :)' He chuckled to himself as he sent the message, tickled. There was only a few parks, but only one close-ish to the shelter. He blinked and realized he was a terrible person to be texting and sent another message with the name of the park, because there were more than one in town. 'Mackleberry. Funny name, right?'

As he waited, he thought about what they could eat. Burgers, maybe? Downtown always had nice restaurants, but did he want to go to a restaurant with Jason? Sandwich shops would be the next on the list of places to go... Guess he'd just have to see what Jason was in the mood for.

Jason gave a puzzled look at the new text. Which park was he referring to? There were five in the whole time. Before he got a chance to ask which one Luke sent the answer and he sent back "I'll be there in a few minutes :)"

Jason turned on his car and drove to the park getting there in fifteen minutes and parking. He walked into the park leisurely and looked at the birds on the trees before spotting Luke on a bench. He trotted his way to the man and smiled "So you wanted to get something to eat?" he said "I don't know any good places around here so I'm open to suggestions" he sat down beside Luke and pocketed his keys. He looked around the park and saw a few couples around taking the day off together.

"How about burgers. There's an awesome place in downtown that makes the best burgers." Luke blathered, then looked up, adding a sheepish, "Apparently."

He laughed, sitting up some, but letting his hands cross over his abdomen. He pulled the sleeves of his long-sleeve shirt down over his wrists, sort of as an absent-minded thing. His eyes were trained on the pigeons for the longest time before he finally looked over at Jason. Looking all suave in his business suit.

"Serious business today, huh?" he grinned, then looked down at his own attire in embarrassment. He was wearing a long-sleeve shirt that was old, something he'd gotten from a thrift shop and was a weird mauve color, and a pair of blue jeans. Both were covered in dog and cat hair from working at the shelter earlier. Quite a step down compared to Jason and his suit of business.

"Burgers sound good" Jason said still looking around. His eyes fixed on Luke for a few seconds before looking away. Luke looked cute in his old shirt and worn jeans. It gave him a homey look.

Jason laughed when his clothes were addressed and looked down "Yeah, FBI has to show who's in charge and this is a good way" he shrugged "It's basically FBI dress code unless they're going on a raid"

He stood up, quite suddenly, beaming brightly.
"Downtown's a couple pf blocks from here. Walk or drive?" Then his brilliant beaming smile lessened to a normal grin. "Have you ever gone on any raids? A long time ago, I used to go on raids in one of those online games. I can't imagine it'd be much like that.."

Luke laughed as he turned to offer Jason his hand. It was a nice day, so walking wouldn't be a bad idea, or so he believed. His other hand went into his pocket to rest there, casual and everything. Yeah.

Jason shrugged "Yeah we could just walk" he said standing up and stretching a bit. He walked along side of Luke to the street.

"Yeah I've been on raids before. They are very high stress situations because one wrong move could screw up the operation" he said

"Do you think there'd be a raid if yall ever figured out the identity of that serial killer?" Luke asked. He hoped it sounded like a casual question. Genuine curiosity colored his words, though. It could only be a matter of time before they get some kind of clue. Before he slips up.

He cleared his throat and shoved his other hand into the pocket of his jeans. On second thought, he didn't want Jason being caught up in a raid against the killer. Especially not since he knew the guy. If it was anyone else, just a random cop, it'd be different.

To himself, under his breath, he muttered, "Maybe he could be assigned a different case. Conflicting interests or something." He let out a breath through pinched lips and glanced at Jason out of the corner of his eyes. Conflicting interests for Luke, at least. He didn't want to see Jason hurt from a raid against a guy like this serial killer.

"Depends when we find out who the killer is and what he's doing," Jason explained "If it just on the street we don't need to raid but if he lives in a house or barricaded himself somewhere there will be one. But we have to find the guy before we decide anything" he laughed looking at the buildings they passed.

Jason spotted the burger place and held the door open for Luke before walking in after. It was a small burger joint with a few tables but everything smelled good.

Luke shook his head slowly, thoughtfully, as he listened to Jason explain situations that would need a raid. He let out another breath, his eyes staring blankly at the sidewalk as they approached the burger joint. Then he looked up as the door was opened, and he smiled, nodding a silent thank you to Jason as he went in.

"So, I think it's a sit anywhere and they come to us..." He said slowly, scanning the little restaurant. There wasn't a sign that said 'Please Wait to be Seated', so he assumed they would seat themselves.

He started for an empty booth near the windows, glancing at Jason in a questioning manner. This was kind of fun, having someone to hang out with again.. It's been too long.

Jason followed Luke to the booth and slide inside unbuttoning his suit jacket. He smiled at the little burger joint and its cool fifties vibe all around them. A waitress came up a few moments later handing out menus. She was conventionally pretty with red hair and reminded Jason of his mother.

"It's kinda nice making a friend" He stated as he leaned on the table looking at Luke. "I mean, I haven't talked to anyone in a long time for other than professional purposes..." he laughed a bit and then sighed "Kinda sad right?"

Status
Not open for further replies.