Vhats your pain tolerance?

I'm a bitch about the pain I get from menstruating. And wrist pain. Otherwise, I'm pretty tolerant because I'm a masochist rough tough cocoa puff.

• Love
Reactions: Marchosias
I'm a pathetic whiny little wuss with a pitiful pain tolerance.

I have a really high pain tolerance, butttt I don't take silly dares.

The only time I've cried from pain that I can remember anymore was when I first had an episode of costochondritis. I tried to laugh it off like I usually do with pain but that only made it worse. ;_;

I have a fairly high pain tolerance. I've busted my head open and it didn't bother me at all, pain wise, I just flipped out because...y'know busted my head open and all. lol

It varies for me, on what type of pain it is. I get cysts in my ovaries quite often (TMI I know). Those little shits hurt like hell. T_T

Like I said, it just depends for me.

I get cysts in my ovaries quite often (TMI I know). Those little shits hurt like hell. T_T

AAAHHHH WHAAAAAAATTT?!?

I go out of my way to avoid anything and everything that is going to hurt. I take no pleasure from pain. >:[

I THOUGHT it was cause I had a shitty pain tolerance, but as it turns out my tolerance is actually really high. @____@ I've always lived with chronic pains, and apparently the kinda stuff I think is "whatever" other people are dying over. >:[

I still hate pain though. c_____c no pain is happy diana.

. I get cysts in my ovaries quite often (TMI I know). Those little shits hurt like hell. T_T
Used to work with a girl who had them. She said it was more uncomfortable feeling than painful for her case. Definitely no one in that Subway knew how to respond to "Oh my god, guys.. I can feel my cysts popping and stuff.. Uuuugh.."

The collective response from the four guys working was.. Basically @Seiji 's response.

Not sure if I can define it. Either...

A. I had a forty kilometer an hour unscheduled dismount from my bicycle once, and careened into pavement with said bicycle still firmly and grossly intertwined with my legs. I laid on the side walk for a couple minutes in complete shock, then slowly climbed to my feet and dragged my ass and fucked bike a couple blocks back home. Where I then had to clean and mend my own wounds, because my mother was busy with shit.

B. I was held up against a wall in first grade and beaten with a brick by one kid while two others held me against the wall.

I've had a couple near brush strokes with death too. One by hypothermia, and the other by narrowly avoiding getting shanked and murdered, but those weren't painful really. The hypothermia one was briefly painful and then strangely serene and exhausting, while the shanking one was a good old fashioned "run for my fucking life" until I hopped over a barbed wire fence and ripped open a pair of pants, and my leg.

But wounded leg > several holes in my torso, so I think I won that day.

Besides that though? I don't go looking for trouble. Dying is not something I want to do.

I have had tension headaches that have left me utterly unable to move, think, talk, etc. I could only rock in agony on my bed, wishing for death, or unconsciousness. Unconsciousness found me first.

Going unconscious from a headache....pretty brutal.

More "physical" types of pain, would be my ingrown toenails. I've lived and dealt with them since I was in highschool. I've gone to concerts, and been in mosh pits, jumping up and down, and having large men jumping up and down on my feet. Never really felt the pain, due to the "hype" of the concert itself. To be honest, I'm pretty sure that the average pain I do feel from them, would probably have most people wondering how I walk...and I don't even notice it any longer. There are days though, when after work and riding the bus, when my toes start to relax, and then I have to walk home from the bus stop? That time of low pain, lets my brain adjust, and then it hurts like hell.
Most telling however, is when I did have my toenails removed, or when I had the sides cut off, and removed (That was done without anesthetic, and didn't hurt much, surprisingly). That freedom from pain, makes me feel so much different. Buuut...then I keep forgetting to go back and get the nail growing cells cauterized. Cause I'm smrt.

But otherwise? My pain tolerance is quite low, especially for self-inflicted. If I have to do something to myself, I swear the pain is always sharper, more cutting, and more intense. Just a mindset thing though I think, when someone else is doing it, the pain just....is muted?

Low as fuck.

As a little kid I had my hand by the door to the school bathroom and when someone closed the door the hinge closed on my finger and they opened it immediately (I screamed REALLY loud) but you'd have thought my finger had been severed. I threw up and went home because it apparently hurt so bad. There was barely a scratch.

That was probably mostly child drama but even to this day pain that most people can tolerate makes me feel sick to my stomach.

But otherwise? My pain tolerance is quite low, especially for self-inflicted. If I have to do something to myself, I swear the pain is always sharper, more cutting, and more intense. Just a mindset thing though I think, when someone else is doing it, the pain just....is muted?
Thats the mind-thing. Because no matter how disciplined you may be, any time you'r about to self-inflict pain, you cant help but think, even sub-consciusly "this is going to hurt". And since mind controls the body, that sugestion wil influence how you percive pain, once it starts. If anyone else causes it, you dont anticipate it, its "out of the blue", so there is no in-advance mental stimuli to enhance the sensation.

Hence vhy in any kind of activity that wil likely include pain, its helpful to "detach" yorself from your mind, and its assumptions/expectations/fears, shut it off, and operate only on instinct. Takes training and discipline ofc, vhich is why that "empty mind" set is the first thing that is teached in most forms of martial arts.

It depends on what age your asking.

Because early childhood (Birth to 6 approx) my pain tolerance, outside of lactose intolerance was through the roof.
I had instances of jumping off the top of slides, landing head first into concrete and then walking off like nothing happened.
And an instance of grinding my teeth so much the nerve was sticking out, only to then constantly chew on said nerve with my sleeve.
And another instance I picked the inside of my cheeks only it was covered it gaping infected holes.

Not of which bothered me in the slightest.
That being said, this was when my Autism was in it's prime, and one trait with low functioning Autism is insane pain tolerance so I'm attributing these instances to that.

As I got older though? My pain tolerance I find is either insanely high, or insanely low given the circumstances.

High Instances
  • Grabbing Groceries from the Car in the middle of winter. There a times I just walk out in my underwear to get it cause I can't be bothered to change. Meanwhile my family in coats and all are freezing, and looking at me like I'm bloody insane.
  • Several years ago when Riding home from work I made the grave error of texting and biking, going down hill. I flung right off my bike, dragged along the concrete and had the entire side of my arm cut. No broken bones, the wounds weren't even that deep, just a bunch of little holes. It looked like someone took a bunch of pebbles and shoved them into my arm before pulling them out. I laughed it off all the way home and got it disinfected before going to work the next day, considering the laughing bit though I'm attributing this to an adrenaline rush/shock. Also, fun note in that my boss at the time apparently actually drove past me while I was busy fixing my bike gears after said crash, said she was going to pull over to check on me if I didn't just happen to finish fixing it at that time and keep going.
Low Instances
  • My Back. It is covered it acne, and scabs that constantly peel off and reapply because the shower keeps making them loose. Makes me very sensitive to when someone pats me on the back, tackles me from behind or anything. So pre-tip to anyone here if we ever meet in person, if you ever tackle hug me from behind or something and I seem annoyed by it. It's not genuine annoyance, you probably just hit a sensitive spot which put me in pain.
  • When I was a mid-late teen (16-17) I hit a point where I was cutting myself. However, I only ever got the balls to do surface level cuts. So there'd be a lot of scabbing, but surface levels of skin tearing only. There was never anything deep because every time I tried it there would be a sudden pain spike making me stop.
With all of this being said though. This is all subjective, and heavily reliant to how well one copes with the pain since we have no true way to feeling another's physical pain and accurately comparing it to our own.
Like there are probably people looking at my High examples and going "Pussy, I go skinny dipping/get in big crashes all the time!". However there's likely others looking at stuff like teen me cutting myself and going "Oh my God! That must have been really painful!".

I never knew what kind of tolerance I have for pain until I gave birth to my child after 4 days in labor. Let me me tell you... you can handle anything after that. Though... the pain from 100 crunches is pretty close to too much. LOL I'm such a weenie about working out. I usually start out with "Yes! I got this! Im going to get so fit!" But once I start 'feeling the burn' Iit quickly turns into "Oh ouch that's uncomfortable. ..okay I'm done. >:C"

I never knew what kind of tolerance I have for pain until I gave birth to my child after 4 days in labor. Let me me tell you... you can handle anything after that. Though... the pain from 100 crunches is pretty close to too much. LOL I'm such a weenie about working out. I usually start out with "Yes! I got this! Im going to get so fit!" But once I start 'feeling the burn' Iit quickly turns into "Oh ouch that's uncomfortable. ..okay I'm done. >:C"
I had two natural deliveries, trust me, if you can handle that, you can pretty much suck up every other little pain that comes afterwards. I think the worst that I've had happen to me in my life though was a sprained ankle, so I consider myself pretty fortunate when it comes to pain. I've had two surgeries in my life, and refused pain meds afterwards because the medication makes me feel worse than the pain actually does. =/ I'd say I have a pretty high tolerance toward pain, but a really low tolerance toward drugs.

Reactions: Hope
But once I start 'feeling the burn' Iit quickly turns into "Oh ouch that's uncomfortable. ..okay I'm done. >:C"
Wel, if getting fit vas easy, evryone wuld be fit I guess. :P One piece of advice; vhen the burn starts to get uncomfortable, make a brief pause. Say - 10 seconds. Just enogh for the burn-feeling to die down a little, then keep going. Then, vhen it comes again in a dozen or so seconds, just make another smal break, then keep moving. Cheat your muscles like that, break-go-break-go, to keep them on the verge of exaustion but never quite crossing it (or at least not as soon as they normaly wuld). That vay you'l get another 20-30 reps out of the session, before you need a real break.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 person
I have an extrememly high pain tolerance. I have played football (Real football. The one you play with your actual feet) with torn muscles, tendonitis, Worn out cartilage in my knee.

I played American football with damaged ligaments in my hand, and a broken toe while also getting concussed.

I also played national level paintball. I got shot 15 times in 1 point. We played over 50 points. getting hit by a ball of paint at 180MPH was enjoyable.