Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RestlessComfort

Original poster
(Knocks echo through the chamber)

"Yes? Come in."

"Sir, Baeker told me to come and see you? He said it was something of great importance...excuse me, my lord, but who is tha-"

"And of great importance, it is. You have served me well Greyjoy, none would question that. Unfortunately, you have not done anything as important as what I am about to ask you to do. Gather some men and ride for the other provinces. You must tell them of the tournament."

"Couldn't we just send the ravens?"

"No! It won't be quick enough! We need to gather our people and find our champions. These are dark times Greyjoy. We must put an end to them quickly."

"Are....are you sure sir? I'm sure there are other wa-"

"Your job isn't to question me, you're job is to do as I ask. Gather our messengers and take the fastest horses from the stable. We must find our champions. Now go, leave us."

"Yes...yes my lord. Men! With me!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The kingdom of Aoedien has always been a safe place, built on a foundation of peace and harmony. Is it the gods who keep the balance from up above? Or, is it instead the people who live down below? No one can say for sure, but that no longer matters. Something evil has been festering in the North and no one can seem to explain why or what is going on. The king has ordered each province to send their best warriors to participate in a mysterious tournament. No one truly knows the high king's intentions, but they are too scared and partly interested to ignore his command. Who will win this tournament? What is the surprise? What is happening in the North? These questions and more will soon be answered. Welcome to the Kingdom of Aoedien!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dovahkiin and mango
[BCOLOR=#000000]Moulder walked quietly down the stone hallway, the only sounds accompanying him were his own foot steps, the clinking of the axe and dagger, freshly sharpened, and the soft but gruff echo of a whisper in a language he did not know. The echo crept down the corridor, old and monotone, from the very place the young man was walking towards. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]"Kam'ed cin mof at'a osk, et'ada' Kiinret, om ok osut kidres aad at'u kild," [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]He began to walk slightly faster, eager to see the warrior he had gladly chosen to work for while he was in town. His name was Hrothmund, and despite being well learned in the art of metal working, he had always hired Moulder on the rare occasion he came into town. Moulder didn't understand why Hrothmund came to him instead of his master, but he didn't question it, he would have been doing the work either way.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]"osut om keston'u aad om'ur kam'ig kym fosh'es." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]Hrothmund had been sent away from the public for his "praying", the city guard claimed that it made the public uncomfortable. Many people lived in the city, and so there were many spoken languages to be found, but nobody ever understood or could even guess what language Hrothmund prayed in. It did not make Moulder uncomfortable, he thought it sounded like someone speaking with their mother.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]"Koi sey'om Muarihous, ored estor'om kym lori'ed'om, Kym Koi Koresed fosh'en." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]There he was, sitting on a bench in the dimly lit, cold, stone room, his eyes closed, his face emotionless, and his arms crossed whispering his prayer. His long golden hair and beard shimmering in the torchlight, his face hosted a few scars, Moulder had asked him about a few, sometimes Hrothmund answered.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]"Siv'om kam'ig!"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]With the final words of the prayer uttered, Hrothmund's eyes shot open, his face stretched into a toothy smile, and a tremulous roar of laugh echoed from him. He jumped to his feet to greet Moulder.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]"There's a good lad! What took ye so long, that bastard took to brownin the guard again?"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]"Nay sir, the master smith hasn't spoken with the guards this morn, he took to watching and betting on the tourny. He didn't see yer name and accidentally bet against you, when he saw you, he returned home to drink!"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]"Well even the dumbest have some right in 'em, I spose, If I'd seen him after the fight Idda split him well, I would! But then what took ye so long then?"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]"I was just makin' yer axe sharper than usual, added a little weight to the blunt side as well!"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]Hrothmund snatched up the large axe, looking it over with a proud smile and giving it a few swings. He nodded approvingly before reaching into his pocket and retrieving a large sack of gold. He tossed the sack to Moulder who almost dropped it.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]"S-sir!" Moulder said as he peaked inside the bag. "This is more money than I've ever seen in my life, surely-"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]"Surely ye deserve more than this city has to offer to ye! The damned guard do nothin about that master o' yours even though he steals the money you earn and drinks it away, that's the reason ye've never seen that much! Now listen, lad, there's a town a few days south o' here, HackDirt, they need a blacksmith, and I say yer a practical prodigy! Take that gold, go to the inn, hire a mercenary to take you to that town town and ferget about this 'royal' dung heap! They don't deserve you!" [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]"But sir, what will you do when you're in town and need a smith?"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#000000]"Somethin tells me I wont be comin back here for a long time, Ha! Now, run off and do as I said, I've got a fight to watch!"[/BCOLOR]

The day was hot and humid as Avaliene watched her opponent across the dirt courtyard. Standing at the ready, her fingers lightly feeling for her sword, Avaliene wondered how she could have been roped into such a predicament.

The last thing she remembered before entering the unfamiliar arena where she now stood was crouching on the back of a hay cart hoping not to get caught. She had no money to her name and had not eaten for several days; she had lost count after day four. Without knowing the reason why, Avaliene had left her home in Mount Ba'silt for a new one in a different land. She had been living with a family of blacksmiths, working for them to earn a little money. They had been good to her, looking after her for a little over two years, and were kind and just people. Through them Avaliene learned about swordmaking and combat, but did not think of herself as an expert by any means. Why, then, was she now in the middle of a colosseum about to fight another being? The answer was just out of reach, like an itch one is unable to scratch.

All around her people were waiting with anticipation. For what, Avaliene was unsure. She knew very little about the whole situation, but did vaguely remember something about a contest, and could only assume this was it. Strange, was all she could think. How very strange.

Reactions: mango and Dovahkiin
"Giselle!"

"Wot!"

"Keep your chin up, being distracted could cost you your life."

"I'm tired!"

"We've hardly progressed." Murmured her father, rubbing a hand along his face.

"On the contrary, sir, I think she's done quite well - for her age."

"She can hardly lift a bucket of water, Maveus."

"She is only five, sir. They haven't fully developed... anything, and tend to get tired easily."

"Do they?" Asked the older man, genuinely considering her age for the first time. "Alright, then, we shall call it a day. But although your body may be resting, your mind should still be at work. Send one of the maids in to have her read, or something of that nature."

"Yes, sir."

"Oh, and Maevus," He patted the child on the head with minor affection, before retreating from the courtyard. "Do keep her head out of the clouds with that apothecary nonsense, I don't want her wasting her life trying to find a use for the cannabis plant."

His leading knight refrained from expressing any sort of conflicting opinion, and instead nodded in response, though he deeply disagreed. "...Yes, sir."

"Maevus," Chimed the small one, who reached up and took his hand clad in leather. "Wots can-a-bus?"

"I hope one day it will be recognized for the valuable gift from our Creator that it is," He told her, the words floating right over her head. She looked at him, puzzled, large eyes waiting for further details, lips parted slightly to reveal a few missing teeth. "It's a magic plant."

"Poppa said deres no such 'fing," She told him with the same expression.

"Did he? Well then he must not know the secret."

"Wot secret?"

"That magic is very, very real."

"Can I have sum?"

"Maybe someday. But that's only if you never tell a soul about it. Otherwise, they'll use it all before you're old enough to."

"Ohh, okay," This seemed to sate her curiosity for the time being.

- - - - - - - -

A woman with pale skin and curled, raven locks climbed into the back entrance of a wagon, leaning against the wooden frame and folding her arms cross her chest. Her bright eyes fell on her daughter, of whom was tucked away amidst stacked crates of odds and ends, almost hidden from view. "What's this about you correcting people when they ask you your name?"

"They keep saying Gisila - "

" - It is - Gisila. Gisila Kóri of the - "

"Father says Giselle."

"Well he isn't here, is he?" The woman corrected, a bit firm and a little snide, but not too harsh. "And I told you not to speak of him, here or anywhere. It's not safe for either of us. Can you not enjoy your true heritage? Rothar," She scoffed, slipping her hands into the front of her skirts sewn on pockets, stepping inside and then seating herself on a crate beside the girl. "A bunch of snobbish folk holed up in their big homes, forcing our kind to do their work while they sip on sparkling drinks and eat fresh meats. That's no way to live and your father is no different. Why would you want to live by the rules of a man who lets slave owners round up our people and sell them for the most coin?" She practically spat at the mentioning of him, her face contorted with bitterness, though she was still a lovely creature.

It was hard, considering such a side to a man that she had spent the first few years of her life with, and they weren't all that bad. In fact she missed them immensely compared to where she was now, everything was poorly done and makeshift, some nights they didn't have food, and her clothing was no longer cleaned and sewn up when it tore for her. Instead she swapped clothes with other girls which seemed to be designed from vegetable sacks, her mother kept repeating words like humble living and living frugal but it never seemed to make much a difference in Gisila's discomfort.

"Introduce yourself as Gisila before someone starts asking questions, you'll be glad you did - you're one of us now, we're a family here, not like all those cold maids and knights at the castle."

"Maevus wasn't cold, he was warm," She commented, "I liked my maid... She always brushed my hair before I went to sleep." Flinching as something suddenly flew across the caravan, colliding and shattering with the side of the transport. Her eyes weld with tears as the woman threw something else, emanating frustration.

"Just shut up and do what I told you! I'm doing the best I can, I didn't ask for this life either! He's not in your life or mine, and we can't change that! So get used to it," With a scowl, the woman left the caravan, just as it started to wobble down the rode, the sound of horses hooves against gravel and her sniffling the only remaining sounds of the coming night.

- - - - - - - -

"...Giselle?"

With a gasp, Giselle was snapped out of her recollection, her lungs filling with air for the first time in what seemed like an eternity. Though Maevus' eyes resembled ice, they bore all the warmth in the world, etched with concern as she continued to quietly catch her breath, chest rising and falling beneath her gown. Eyes alert, they flickered to his, "What?"

"I believe that's the longest you've ever gone without breathing." He told her, tightening the back of her tunic which hugged her torso rather tightly. Pressing a hand to her stomach, she squirmed a little, making sure it was secure. "Perhaps you should just stay."

"We've come this far, bought the boots and everything, might as well give it a shot," She messed with her hair, attempting to pull it back, up and tight.

"Well if you tune out like that you might find an axe wedged in your skull," He watched as she broke away from the mirror, leaving her bedroom and starting down the steps. Naturally he kept up, mere paces behind her, and now one step ahead as he placed himself in front of the backdoor, several inches superior to her and nearly as broad shouldered as the doorway itself.

"I want to step outside."

"You've no time, the horses will be here any moment. Unless," He kept his arm stretched across the door, despite her weak attempt to move past it. "Unless you'd like to withdraw. Then we can go waste all the time you'd like."

"Bribery? That's beneath you."

"Not necessarily."

"I thought you wanted me to take chances."

"Like finding a husband, not tossing yourself into an arena with the Creator knows what."

"You taught me how to dance with elves, the weak point of an orc, the Qunari tango - "

" -- Yes and you practiced all of those with me."

" -- And uncle Borus."

"That hulking lout doesn't count." Finally she pulled away from the door, instead sweeping through the kitchen and wrapping her arms around her torso as she stared out the sun struck window glossed with the morning mist. He met her there shortly, once again leaned against the wall, arms folded this time. "And my sword is still heavy for you."

Her gaze fell, "I don't expect to win. I just want to see him again."

"And if he isn't there?"

"Well..." There was a commotion outside, the nearing of collected hooves beating against a worn bath, whinnies and murmurs as the deliverers beckoned the horses to slow down. "He just has to be."

Maevus broke away for a moment, only to reappear with a possession he valued far more than he let on. A sword of great length and intricate design, with a helm engraved with two glistening sapphires. It seemed to weigh nothing as he held it up, the sunlight gleam riding down the polished blade's surface. But as he slid it into the case hanging from her hip, she teetered to the side, losing her balance for a moment before he helped her steady herself and opened the front door. "Don't stab yourself with it, dove."

"Very funny."​

Reactions: kiscokids123
Namyra Ahrune
Namyra's arm hadn't gotten as sore as it was in quite some time -- not since her last sparring match with Laydon -- but the gunk on the tavern bar refused to cooperate with the grimy cloth she was grinding into it. Frowning, she scrubbed harder. She'd all but crossed her fingers when she slowly lifted the cloth from the counter; the goo stared back at her and she had half a mind to take her dagger to it to scrape it off the counter. Her efforts were fruitless, only good for making her arm ache and trying her patience.

"Yer' a real shit, y'know that?"

Releasing a sigh, Namyra set aside the dirtied cloth. Her eyes lifted to meet Bevard's, a man who frequented her tavern so much he may as well pay rent, as she splayed her hands on the counter with masked agitation. She forced a small smile. "And why's that?" Namyra asked him, perking a brow.

"Y'could be makin' money out there," Bevard replied, sweeping his arm in some grand gesture toward the door. "Y'could! Yer' just lettin' yer' fightin' skills go to waste, sittin' in this tavern."

Tilting her head to the site, Namyra shook her head. "I'm not a mercenary, Bev."

Bevard cocked his head to the side, not unlike Namyra. "You haven't heard?"

"What is it?"

Bevard's eyes shifted from side to side, like he was about to whisper some valued secret, before he leaned in over the counter and motioned for her to do the same. Suppressing a smile, Namyra complied. "The King has some kinda' tournament goin' on. Got some special prize for the winner, I heard." His breath reeked of ale. "Maybe it'll be a bit of coin, eh?" He stole a glance at the tavern. "Wouldn't hurt to spruce the place up a bit," Bevard mumbled.

Namyra was the first to pull back, a smile tugging at the corners of her lips. Another one of his drunk ramblings, perhaps. "That so?" she murmured in response, hoping to humor him.

His expression settled into hardness. "Namyra. Serious." A frown cast itself upon his face, Namyra's smile fading in response. "I know what I heard." Bevard stared down Namyra as they spent a moment in silence, and his next words were hushed, almost pleading. "I know you ran with that thieves guild for a while, Nam, and I know you can use that staff o' yers'. I seen you and Laydon fight. I seen you make that boy fall on his arse."

She let out something akin to a scoff and a breathy chuckle, eyes falling to the counter for just a beat before they darted back up to Bevard. "But do you think the people in the tournament will be like Laydon?" Doubt laced her voice. "We're talking about warriors here. People who were practically born with a sword in their hand, people who probably sleep in their armor." Brows pinching, she took a glance at the dagger hidden behind the bar -- in comparison, she felt like an amateur, and she couldn't help but fidget at the feeling. "I know how to skirmish, but... battles are different. I just don't --"

"When was the last time you had a decent meal?"

"What?" Bevard looked at her expectedly. Namyra perked a brow, squinting her eyes as she rifled through her memories. "Ah... Hm."

Bevard gave a quick nod. "See? That's how everyone here is," he said. Pursing his lips, he turned all the way around on his bar stool to survey the tavern. Namyra, pensive, rested her elbows on the counter and watched Bevard as he spread his arms outward. "Y'think these people had a good meal in the last week? Month?" He turned just enough to look at her from over his shoulder. "It's hard for any decent fool to live here. Kingscote's brimmin' with criminals, it is." Some form of ache lurked behind his eyes, and with the expulsion of a quiet sigh, his shoulders sagged. "Y'know what the thieves guild does to people," he murmured. "Innocent people."

Chewing on her bottom lip, Namyra's gaze turned to those in the tavern. "I know," she replied, voice absent-sounding and hollow. "I know."

Bevard made a slow turn back to face Namyra. "You could help 'em."

A pang of guilt struck her chest. "I..." her voice droned off, before she shook her head and forced her eyes to meet Bevard once again. "What if the prize isn't coin, Bev?"

He shrugged. "Sell whatever he gives ya."

With the ghost of a smile, she snorted. "Fair enough." Pushing herself off the bar, she gave Bevard a little nod. "Guess I should get to practicing tonight, then."

Raising his brows, Bevard shot his hand up. "Aye, hold on, hold on." Namyra halted. "If ya win, free drink?"

She smiled. "If I win, you can get two drinks." He gave a toothy grin. "Maybe," she added in quickly.

"G'luck, Nam. Remember us common folk."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Namyra didn't expect the feeling of people's eyes in the colosseum upon her to be so unnerving. Hands slickened with sweat, she tightened her grip on her staff, shifting her weight from one foot to the other in an attempt to keep her mind occupied. It did little to calm her racing heart. "This is happening," she whispered, then sucked in a breath. Okay, okay. Focus on your opponent, like she's Laydon.

Willing her eyes to her opponent across the arena, she bore a slow exhale. She was a tall elven woman, a sword clenched in her hand; she seemed the lithe type. She inhaled, exhaled, and repeated the process until her nerves had settled, and the majority of her nervousness had subsided -- at least temporarily. Can't afford to be nervous. Intuitively, she shifted into a defensive stance. She closed her eyes for a moment, gathering all the zen she possibly could, before peeling them back open to shoot over to the King, perched proudly on a seat with what seemed to be his advisors around him. Namyra's eyes skimmed over the sea of people in the stands; some part of her wondered if they'd suffered like the people of Kingscote.

She hadn't spent much time exploring her thoughts before she was ripped out of her mind with one booming, powerful word from the King.

"Commence!"

Reactions: kiscokids123
Why was she here. Had she signed up herself? Had someone done it for her? The longer her mind scrambled to find an answer the clearer the foggy mess of memory became. She remembered hearing about a contest held by the King, but--

"Commence!"

Avaliene's worries about the why and how faded away instantly when she heard the crisp, deep voice. She glanced up at the stands and saw the king. He sat on the high throne, covered in lavish jewelry and furs. Perhaps he was the reason she was here, or perhaps it was someone in the crowd. Shaking the thoughts from her mind, Avaliene turned to face the imminent threat, her opponent. She knew enough to know that she was in a fight, and a very important one at that. What the end result would be, she wasn't sure, but she knew she must win.

The girl clutched her sword now and unsheathed it, stopping for a moment to admire its shine. She remembered forging it with her own hands, taught by the man whose family had been so good to her, as well as practicing with it behind the shop with the children of her master.

Her thoughts darted back to reality and she readied herself, moving forward to attack. She was agile and good with a sword, but she couldn't stop her heart from racing as she crossed the arena.

Reactions: Dovahkiin
3 days earlier

"You must be swift and agile with your swings," Adkin shouted, demonstrating on the practice dummy in front of him. "If you put too much behind your sword, or not enough, you will find yourself off balance, leading to the possibility for a counter."
All of the knights in training watched Adkin closely, studying every move he made. It had been a little over 3 winters since he became Captain of the Kingsguard. Sure, he had the skills needed for the position, but his drive lacked drastically. Adkin never wanted to move up the ladder. He was perfectly satisfied being 'just another grunt,' carrying out the king's commands without another thought. Life was good -- until the previous Kingsguard Captain retired his steel.

That was when Adkin's perfect, leisurely life transformed into a life full of responsibility and stress. The king saw something in him that no one else did, including Adkin. At one point in his life, on a Saturday's eve, he would be drinking at the tavern, getting drunk and fist-fighting with the townspeople. But now, he was standing in the blazing heat, teaching a bunch of bastards and rich pricks how to hold something longer than their cocks and do so effectively.

"Alright, now you try. Partner up, grab the training swords, and show me what you got."
At that moment, a hand gripped Adkin's shoulder and turned him around. Standing in front of him was a smaller, built young lad named Greyjoy. Greyjoy was the king's personal knight and had served the king for many years. Adkin didn't generally have any dealings with Greyjoy, so he knew there was something serious to be addressed.

"Ah, Greyjoy, to what do I owe this magnificent pleasure?"

"Listen, I don't have time to deal with you. The only reason I came here is because the king has requested you by name."

"Oooooo, alright big man. No need to get your dress in a bunch," Adkin said, pretending to dust off the young knights chest-plate.
Adkin gave his sarcastic smirk before turning to the knights he had been training all morning.​

"Attention! I will thankfully be taking my leave from you for a few hours! In my stead, your majesty, sir Greyjoy will be taking over."

"What?! How dare you? I am the kings personal knight and I am above menial-"

"And I am your Captain Greyjoy," he said in a serious tone of voice. "You will do as I command until I draw my last breath. Understood?"

".........."

"Greyjoy I said, UNDERSTOOD?!"

The young man wiped the Captain's spit from his face, and reluctantly said, "...Yes, sir."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quickly, Adkin made his way up to the king's quarters and, once he found him, kneeled at his feet.

"You requested me, my lord?"

"Stand. I must speak with you."

"Yes, my lord. What is it?"

"No doubt you have heard about the tournament I am putting on in a few days?"

"Of course, my lord. I am looking forward to watching over the event."

"There has been a change of plans. You will no longer be watching over the tournament. Instead, you will be participating."

"My lord?"

"You are my best fighter Adkin. Hell, you might just be the best swordsman in the whole realm. That being said, how are we really suppose to find the best fighters this kingdom has to offer if we don't have a reference point? I need you in this tournament to test the metal of our competitors. If any of them can compete with you, we will know they are worth my prize."

Adkin wanted to protest, but how could he? This man practically ran his life. After some hesitation, he finally gave in.

"I will do as asked, my lord."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The cheering was deafening as Adkin waited in the entrance tunnel. He had lasted 6 rounds, bested 6 competitors, and planned to win the tournament. His brash attitude and sarcastic smirk had made him a fan favorite in the tournament so far. He already had a pretty large reputation being the Kingsguard Captain, but it seemed like there were more voices than usual today in the stands.

The last 6 people he faced didn't present too much of a challenge, but this was the quarter finals. Whoever was going to stand across from him in a few minutes was here for a reason. They had skill.

Honestly, Adkin didn't really know what to expect. Dwarf? Qunari? He didn't have time to dwell on that now. It was time for him to enter the arena. Slipping on his helmet, Adkin gave his horse a sharp kick to the side, spurring the animal to ride into the bright light and adoring public. Doing a lap, he scanned the audience. Peasants and aristocrats alike sat next to each other, all excited to find out who would be moving onto the semi-final.

His face was not exposed and could not be seen, but he gave a quick smirk anyway before dismounting his horse. With one final cheer, the audience died down in anticipation of the next contestant to emerge.

• Love
Reactions: mango
Gisila removed her helmet, attempting to catch her breath -- it seemed like seconds before someone came and let her know it was time to head back out again. Wiping the back of her hand along her forehead, she grimaced -- she rarely broke a sweat, but underneath all this insufferable amount of attire meant as a defense, she could hardly breathe. It was stifling -- and so was this over sized structure of violent grandeur. How had she made it this far? Gisila couldn't tell you. "Suppose you become another person when there's a raging half bull swinging a sword your way," She had to laugh, running her tongue along her bottom teeth and wondering if that was blood she tasted.

The blonde's exhaustion was masked by a racing pulse and pure adrenaline, though her fingers ached from clutching her blade and her ankles were far too weak for all the dodging she'd done. Honestly the greatest advice Maevus had given her was to allow a few mistakes to enable oneself to predict - after a short while, most beings showed a pattern. Of course this wasn't always the case, she tried to stay on top of things and not rely on sorely that strategy lest someone catch her off guard. But her sharp mind was all that had gotten her this far, she sort of let people take themselves out.

This time, though, she could feel it - she'd really have to use every Maevus taught her, right down to the proper footing.

She stepped out just after slipping her helmet back on, once again confined and sighing as the breeze was cut off by light weight, suffocating meta. She still was not used to the roaring crowd that both encouraged and dismayed her arrival - she wondered if they'd still be cheering with the unveiling of her true parents, where she'd truly come from -- who she truly was, though Gisila herself was not entirely sure of that one. That made her pause mid stride to where her opponent would be -- she could still turn back, lest she further risk soiling her fathers name. But what of my name? I hardly have one, those thoughts pushed her out onto the open terrain, gloved hands resting on the hilt of her -- well, Maevus' -- sword. It didn't glisten like the others, it was dusted with kicked up dirt, a bit of blood (both hers and her opponents) and whatever else stirred in the heat of battle.

Hrothmund slipped through the crowd, up to the edge of the arena to get a good view. Winners were supposed to wait in the under-works beneath where the fights took place, but Hrothmund had to see this fight for himself. He had caught glimpses of the two fighters in action but knew they were holding back. Now Hrothmund didn't know whether or not the two were evenly matched, but he knew neither of them would hold back.

He had taken interest in these fighters in particular, Hrothmund had fought hundreds- maybe even thousands -of people, and he could tell a lot about a person just from watching them fight. The man was the captain of the city guard and was very skilled in the technique they taught, but there was an underlying sense of history in his stance, like past experiences trying to overwhelm the technique and replace it with something else. Hrothmund didn't trust the man, he didn't trust anyone who was wrapped around a nobles finger.

Then there was the girl, again, there was a sort of nobility in the way she carried herself. She held her sword like it was her name, he wondered if she knew all the things that name had done to be held in the regard it was, no matter which name it was. She didn't seem to know how to wear her armor correctly, though she seemed well trained with her blade. Something about her seemed grounded though, there was a hint of poverty, of reality that the nobles often lacked. Probly and illegitimate heir, Hrothmund thought.

She was a half elf, well, half was a strong word in this case, but Hrothmund didn't know the difference. To the common eye she could pass for human, but Hrothmund was in a unique position. He knew more about the history of man and elves, or mer, as the bulls and cows called them, than any modern man. Then again, he only knew what he did because of the animals, who had taught him much. The owls in particular were well versed when it came to elves, they taught him their language, culture, and physiology.

So she was a half elf to Hrothmund. She was of noble heritage to some degree, likely an illegitimate heir. Most importantly, she held her sword like she held her name, Though the fights and time had taken their toll. Hrothmund smiled wider and chuckled, this would be an interesting fight!

Time felt like it slipped into some kind of purgatory the moment the word left the King's throat -- it became distant, almost like Namyra, her opponent, and the entirety of the colosseum had been removed from it altogether. The crowd's roars were ear-splitting, but in comparison to the thoughts ricocheting off the walls of her skull, they rang dull. Today's earlier fights she'd been in hadn't felt like this in the slightest. Realization struck her; she never thought she'd have a chance at getting through as many battles as she has, and with each time she emerged from battle, scathed but still somehow victorious, she inched closer to having the King's reward in her grasp. The weight of being responsible for the ability to help people was suffocating. Some part of her wondered how the King lived under such pressure, but she supposed the fancy wine and lavish clothing helped. She managed to get through her fights with a plethora of close calls, growled curses, and gashes sure to be new scars to return to Kingscote with. If luck was on her side, scars wouldn't be the only thing she'd bring back home.

Green eyes asquint, Namyra watched her opponent approach. It was only when black dots swam in her vision that she realized she'd been holding her breath, and, with a quivering exhale, her fingers clenched around the grip of her staff so hard all color flushed from her knuckles. She counted the elf's steps -- three, four, five -- like her chances at succeeding were crushed beneath each footfall. Namyra pursed her lips.

In a fluid motion, she jammed one of her staff blades into the ground and jerked it forward, sending a cloud of dust hurtling toward the elven woman, before leaping to the side. Namyra scurried to get behind the woman, aimed a foot at the back of her knee, and tried to kick.

Avaliene was increasing her speed the closer she got to her opponent, her breathing coming in short, sharp inhales. The sword felt familiar in her hands, but even as she focused her energy on the weight of the metal between her fingers, a calm and noiseless feeling came over her. There were times, the young elf had discovered, when a present task took precedent above all else, and Avaliene was forced out of her mind and unable to control herself or her actions. She compared it to swimming in mid air, surrounded by nothing but darkness, and when she came out of it, she could not remember anything from the missing time. Such occurrences were happening more and more often, which made her uneasy, but she was powerless to stop it, even if she wanted to.

Now was such a time.

Avaliene slipped into unconsciousness, her eyes glazing over and turning a faint shade of green.

The dust Avaliene's opponent had procured engulfed the young fighter. A hand went up to shield the eyes while the other felt around with the sword as her feet shuffled around, trying to find a better place to stand. She could hear movement from behind, but was not quick enough to turn before a strong force bent Avaliene's knee inward, sending her keeling over. She used the momentum to roll away from her opponent and out of the dust cloud. Able to see more clearly, the fighter scanned around the arena. She readied her sword and let out a shout, running stealthily to the turned figure emerging from the dust and pushed her sword out in front of her, attempting to puncture the figure.

When the elven woman fell, Namyra swung down one of the bladed ends of her staff, and in place of flesh, it struck dirt. Shit. Hurriedly, she yanked back her staff. She attempted to squint through the dust cloud to find her opponent again, but to no avail; the dust was far too thick to peer through, and the opponent had enough smarts to use Namyra's tactics against her. It became clear the opponent wasn't going to allow an easy battle.

Around her, the dust cloud began to dissipate into the sweltering air and Namyra almost let herself feel a droplet of relief amidst the tension of battle -- almost. A shout came from behind her. Namyra took a sidestep, but it was not enough. Piercing through her worn leather armor, the blade slid across the side of Namyra's torso with ease, a guttural yell ripping from her throat as sharp, hot pain flashed along the gash. The crowd frenzied in the stands. Gritting her teeth, Namyra heaved a shuddering breath as she felt the warmth of blood blossom. Her eyes locked onto her opponent, her adrenaline reaching an all-time high.

With a lunge, Namyra swung her staff toward the woman with as much speed as she could muster, sucking in a pained breath. At this point, aiming at which body part wasn't a concern -- she only intended to even the field.

Avaliene let out an animalistic yelp as the staff hit its mark on her shoulder, a loud crack following. She gasped, a hand going to her collar bone. A nice bruise was forming underneath her armor, but after a moment she appeared not to notice. Later, she would feel the full force of the break, but now she had become something else, something resistant to pain.

She took a few steps back to steady herself and switched arms, holding her sword in her weak hand. She was not very good at it, but that wouldn't stop the force from continuing the fight. It latched onto her sight and her head turned to her opponent. With a low growl she swooped upon the other fighter with the sword, hoping to hit something despite the unfamiliarity of her right hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.