INTEREST CHECK Vampire Virus, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Taddeo

Original poster
Hi there, Iwaku. I thought, hey, maybe I should share a story with the world. There's this premise I came up with ages ago when I was reading "Peeps" (some vampire book I have now mostly forgotten about), and has been growing in my mental cellar for about six years. Many months ago, I put ideas to word processing program, and, after so long writing stories about it alone, I wondered, could it be roleplayed? I went looking online for a site to join, as my old friends have stopped responding on their old emails, and found here.
What I propose is one or more One-on-One roleplays, each of us controlling one or several characters (as needed,) with much of the story run by me. What happens in one RP affects later events in another, unless we agree otherwise. I've thought about it, and if you want to do a OneXOne RP, let me know. I do, however, want a larger number of people involved in a larger story.

I tried to label it clearly. This color is for important notes, this color is for world information, this color is for the story premise. In-depth information will be in this color.

IF YOU GET LOST IN THE DESCRIPTION: Most of the disease info is too in-depth to be of much use, unless we want to RP as Excinav scientists finding a cure for the disease. Just reading the Summary of the symptoms is good enough.

BASIC WORLD INFO:
This is now. This world, these politics, these constraints of reality (more or less.) The difference is, those legends of vampires? Based in reality. Vampires are people infected by a very specific disease, which incurs a form of immortality, at a price. Those infected experience several years of high metabolism and meat cravings before they stop aging and start developing some small mental health issues. (Details in the Disease section.)

ORGANIZATIONS KNOWN TO EXIST:

NosAva is a relatively recent grouping of vampire experts who want to do something to cull the global numbers of vampires. Formed by a Christian fanatic (who has since been displaced) and now not simply against vampires, but for research and understanding of the disease and control thereof, the 30-some-year-old affiliation is based in Maine and operates in the Americas and south Asia. The president is a vampire who calls himself the Lion (he is very old and very dyslexic, but also highly able to multitask) and the vice is his human descendant and assistant, Avery Kennan.NosAva has several divisions: The Hunters, including the notable pair Lilac and Icarus Wallace, two experienced vampires with excellent senses and logical capabilities, but no empathy. Social Relations, which keeps the outward appearance of a privately owned epidemics control organization as cover. General Operations, the office sector (all the paper pushers that keep the budget in line and communications in sync). Technology and Logistics, Tech and Log, or TAL, the programmers and developers for the monitoring equipment given to all vampiric employees. Mobile Donations, the fund raising group, does bake sales and other fundraisers to cover some of the holes that can happen in the budget, and is constantly active. Mobile Donations also runs a semiannual, mobile, open audition freak-show, which sometimes nets a vampire in need of some serious help. New employees usually come in through General Operations or Mobile Donations and work their way in.

"The Rooters" are a small coven of strongly bonded young vampires (Alvin, Richard and Lizabeth) that help NosAva collect information on vampires. They reside in Maine and travel occasionally to other places around the world in order to do first-person research. They reside in Chicago, IL, USA.

Excinav was a struggling genetic research group that was nearly shut down over controversy about stem cell research. It is now funded by NosAva and operating underground.

THE DISEASE:
(SUMMARY:)
The transformation begins when a human
exchanges bodily fluid with either a vampire or a victim who has a strong enough concentration of the bacteria in his or her system. The less contact there is, the less chance there is that the victim will contract vampirism.
The victim expresses a
fever and flu-like symptoms for roughly two to five days. If his/her immune system beats the disease, s/he does not become a vampire.
A vampire grows new teeth, gains a preference for meat, and becomes more muscular and thin in the beginning stage of up to ten years and at least six months. After that, his/her metabolism slows, the aging process slows to a halt, and loses most distinguishing marks on the skin. Hair and nails become tougher, and healing processes accelerate. Hair loss, partial, bodily, or patchy, may occur. The brain begins to change, and the vampire usually develops some handicap or mental illness symptom (or several). S/he also experiences an increased sharpness in a different area of the mind.
The
Vampire is infectious once s/he has lost the first fight with the disease (fever abates).
Vampires are difficult to kill, but are simply more resilient than humans.

(FULL DESCRIPTION:)
Full study performed and compiled by "The Rooters" under the guidance of the NosAva Affiliation:
The transformation begins when a human exchanges bodily fluid with either a vampire or a victim who has a strong enough concentration of the bacteria in his or her system. Typically this is done through a wounding and the introduction of bacterial-ridden saliva. This is also the fastest and strongest transfer – but if the wound inflicted is on the neck, and deep, the victim usually dies of hemorrhage. Slower changes result from kissing, accidents (i.e. touching of injuries by both or either side), or sexual contact. In two historical cases, transmission by coughing has been documented. The bacterium cannot be passed through the air or very far through liquids; it does not live long outside of the host body, and although the virus stays intact a while longer, it does require living vampiric bacteria in which to reproduce.
The less contact there is, the less chance there is that the victim will contract vampirism. After the bacteria reaches the bloodstream, it begins to invade every part of the host's body, becoming part of the various systems. Swollen lymph nodes and stiffness usually accompany initial growth. The body attempts to fight off this infection, and almost always loses once the virus begins to influence the immune system.
The typical, young vampire is altogether normal in appearance and general behavior, and shows very little sign of difference. The main symptoms that can be observed are fever and a general preference for high-calorie foods, and then a changed preference to meats. Within the first year, the host becomes more thin, hardened and muscular. Females retain more fat than males. Within a decade, a noticeable slow in aging occurs, and the need for sleep becomes minimal. Fairly early into development, a new set of 32 to 36 teeth pushes out the old teeth and grows in within a week or two of initial tooth loss (which is naturally staggered). These teeth are likely to grow in fairly straight, and often gives the appearance of slightly longer or sharper teeth. This portion of the transformation can occur many times faster, but the time frames are generalized and differ from person to person. The faster it occurs, the more painful it is for the host. The end product is most often a very attractive version of the victim – one very likely to pass on the disease. Most infectors are within this range of development, before they become somewhat more noticeable and (likely) repulsive. This stage usually lasts little more than ten years.
The next stage is a significant slowing of the metabolism and the drastic change in the bacterial balance of the digestive system - the host has already become completely carnivorous, and has difficulty digesting anything cooked or anything other than meat. Blood is now digestible as well, and many have cravings. This internal change happens, usually, within the late first or early second decade. External changes may include a general paling or darkening of complexion (depending upon the light conditions and to maximize vitamin D production, just like the normal tanning and paling process) and partial or complete loss of specific marks such as small scars, blemishes, moles, tattoos and freckles. Other external and internal organs also become more "perfect," as the body tries to heal itself, excepting the more permanent structures (i.e. irises, large malformations in bones, etc.). Nails become harder (often hair as well, making it less controllable), and although nail and hair growth does not stop, it does slow, more drastically in males than females. Males often lose the majority or all of their facial hair, and in some cases, baldness may occur. Rarely, some to all body hair or all hair is lost, which may happen in the case of either sex.
About this time, neurological differences may noticeably surface – the new vampire's brain is changing slightly. His or her behavior becomes more focused on a favorite activity, and in the other affected areas of the brain, a dullness may be noticed – as in being emotionally dysfunctional, trembling uncontrollably, or severely decreased logical capabilities. This is a very gradual process and does not necessarily exclude the given individual from society for many years.
Within the span of half a century, the now full-fledged vampire usually begins to shimmer vaguely in strong light, due to the high concentration of bacteria in the blood. Most vampires avoid strong light or use sunscreen (or any oily rub), which dulls the effect by changing the way light reaches the topmost living cells. If the individual has enough body hair, the shimmer is unnoticeable.
The infection is complete when the now high concentration of bacteria is consistent throughout the body. Free-floating bacteria continue to reproduce and die in bodily fluids, and bacteria which have invaded human cells are long-lived - as long as the cell itself lives. As early as a century or as late as several centuries, the former human body has completely been taken over by the bacteria. The brain of the victim has been enhanced as well as degraded by the bacteria, and in some cases the side effects are alternatively pitiful or monstrous. Along with a high degree of sharpness in, say, music or logic, degradation in another area is inevitable. Many vampires have trouble with emotions or memory, or have several neurological disabilities. The more base of instincts are magnified over this time, and although some individuals may be able to control themselves, it is only to an extent. This usually means that the vampire has become, behaviorally, a predator. Human-vampire relationships, provided that the human is not devoured, are usually difficult throughout the transformation (most often it is instinct or aging that breaks bonds).
Mature vampire blood pressure is rather low, the heartbeat is much slower, and the internal temperature, after the first decade or so, becomes cool (all in a comparative sense). Vampires function as lukewarm- to cool-blooded creatures unless in a state of agitation. Wounds shut quickly (due to bacteria acting as another clotting aid), and, as the skin and flesh underneath toughen, may not often occur in the first place. Healing is slow, but, as stated, the knitting-together part of the process is almost instantaneous. Vampires are not indestructible. They are susceptible to burning and freezing, although (freezing) not as much as other people. The bacteria throughout the bloodstream act as an antifreeze of sorts, lowering the point of freezing to several degrees below 0 Celsius. Vampires fall into a comatose state in below-freezing temperatures, but need to wake and consume food eventually. Ice crystals can sometimes form within the cellular structure, but in most tissues where the bacteria have formed a sort of knitted net, the network stops larger crystals from forming and causing too much damage. Vampires can starve over long periods of time, and waste away. They need some amount of oxygen consistently. They can be crushed or cut up – not easily, but it can be done. If the head is smashed or removed, the major arteries will constrict and those severed will close. The body will only continue to "live" as long as it has enough oxygen and nutrients, and will waste away as a cockroach would. In this state, the body becomes alternatively as a vegetable or moves about spasmodically until death. If a part or whole of the brain stem is left, the body may run about like a beheaded chicken until collapse.

Footnote by Excinav Incorporated operating under the guidance of the NosAva Affiliation.
The vampiric 'bacterium' is actually a mutualistic combination of a virus replicating within a bacterial cell. This is why antibiotics alone usually don't cure or hold back the disease for very long. Soon after initial infection, the virus attacks and temporarily overwhelms the immune system early on in the infection to allow for intensive bacterial growth. The bacteria possess very little cell wall, and specialized pores for accepting and releasing its viral counterpart. The bacteria are able to attach to mucous membranes in the mouth and prefer to live free-floating in the blood and bodily fluids. They also colonize the salivary glands of the human victim. The properly formed virus is a single stranded +ssRNA, enveloped retrovirus resembling HIV. It possesses spike proteins that allow it to attach to human T-lymphocytes (an important kind of immune response cell), some skin cell types, bone, skeletal muscle, and nervous tissues as well (and the particular species of bacteria in which it is introduced into the human body). This bacterium provides very specific and various enzymatic pathways for the production of the virus, each of which are controlled by the cell itself, thus insuring that, if the retrovirus "captures'"one part of the genetic instructions, it will not override the cell. The Bacteria is able, by detecting "critical mass" of virus production and/or optimal environment, to cease production of the necessary enzymes for production of the virus, dramatically slowing (or stopping) the replication of the retrovirus and preventing most cells from lysing. The improperly formed virus is able to infect human cells, but, lacking the enzymes to form its capsid and envelope spikes, is inactive. It may possibly be used as a vaccine, but this particular leap has not been accomplished on a usable scale yet, due to the lack of willing vampires and the unfortunate tendency of large corporations to dismiss vampirism as myth.

NOTES ABOUT RP IDEAS SO FAR:
FOR OneXOne RPs:
I would like to RP as someone who:
Meets someone else who doesn't know s/he is infected;
Is already a vampire, and is dealing with that;
or;
Is involved in NosAva already, as either human or vamp.
FOR THE MAIN RP:
I will be playing several members of NosAva and other NPCs as a matter of NPC management and providing a combination of information, story progress when necessary, and jobs that are not very interesting anyway. I will also be playing a particular representative of NosAva to start the story.

JOINING PLAYERS:
Just as examples, I would like someone to join me as:
Someone going through the early stages of infection;
A vampire who is partnered/bonded with my character;
A human who becomes involved with or has a family member/loved one involved with NosAva...etc.

We could even RP as vampire hunters or something!

This seems really interesting! I'd like to join, if you'd have me.

I'd like to join too! This is a really interesting twist on the vampire-myth, and I kinda miss playing as a vampire now anyway.

And if you're concerned about creating walls of text, try using different colours to mark your text(like this). At least I feel like that helps as long as the text doesn't crash with the background, but I guess some people could be put off by a massive rainbow.

Wow, this is the first vampire RP I've seen that has actually gotten my interest piqued. Very thorough and very interesting! If you move forward with this, by all means count me in. I think it would be neat to play as someone who doesn't know they're infected or is going through the later stages. Your first two examples of play, in other words. Not that the third one is bad, just those are more interesting for me personally. It all sounds really cool. o_o

Please count me in too. I'd love to join everyone.

Oh my gosh you guys. I am ELATED to have people interested in this! I'm sorry I've been pretending to be dead this past... month. I can log on and update every weekend from here out.
Also, thanks for the tip about color usage to break up the text. I'll try to edit and update the first post about this.

For those who are interested still, I was wondering if you'd like to do a mass roleplay, where everyone that's interested posts in the same thread. If we have about two people or more who wanna do that, we can get this ball rolling. I'll make a new thread elsewhere for character descriptions (about which I will be minimally picky; it just would have to fit into how the world works) once you guys give the "yea" vote on this.

I will definitely check in tonight and tomorrow to see if anyone responds :)

Feel free to pm me with any questions, comments or concerns.

I'm still interested! :D And yes, I would like to do a group rp.

I'll catch up with replies the weekend of the 13th. Sorry for the delay - life has thrown me a curveball. :(

Vampire all you needed say. I'll take a character going through the early stages of the infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.