Vampire bonding

"Oh." She said, sounding a little disappointed. Her logic scolded her. Was she crazy? Asking a vampire to dinner? Not that she wasn't already insane enough for being his blood doner. She sighed and rubbed the back of her neck. "Well, I, uh, suppose I'd best be going or I'll be late." She walked a few steps ahead of him towards her car. "Er, see you tonight then?" She asked when she reached her car door and opened it, turning to him as she spoke.

He nodded, smiling softly, not noticing the disappointment in her voice. But behind the smile reflected in his eyes, there lay an underlying sheen of regret, sadness, and apology. "I'll be around, then." He said, blinking away the emotions before he did something stupid.

She nodded and got into her car and took off to work for a long boring day at the office.

He waved at her car as she drove away, not sure if she saw him or not. Sighing, he looked to the east, where painfully vague hints of an impending dawn lay. Will sighed, and made for the cemetery, pushing open the heavy stone door, and climbing inside the coffin, shutting the lid as he fell into a dreamless sleep.

The workday passed in a boring blur, and she was eager to be home, wondering what time Will was going to stop by. She warmed up some left over Chinease food in the microwave and plopped down on her couch and turned on the TV.

Will awoke with a start, thinking he had heard a footstep. It was still daylight outside. Holding his breath, his entire being was encompassed with fear, the first time since he had first killed a man. This was it, he thought, as he heard another footstep, and the sound of someone entering the mausoleum. Surely, anyone coming inside would realize the lack of dust, the way the door slid open so easily, and worst of all, Will's bag still lying at the foot of the coffin.

He heard a noise, like someone placing their hand upon stone. Then, he realized, it was a hand placed upon his coffin. If he so much as breathed, the person outside surely would be able to hear him. Cold sweat trickled down his brow, and he nearly jumped out of his skin when the person outside moved once more, leaving the mausoleum. For the next several hours, he lay there, making sure that whoever was outside was gone for good.

When Will finally moved again, he silently got out of the coffin, more paranoid than ever, and quickly threw his bag into the coffin, in case anyone came back. How could they not notice the bag? It was near-impossible. But even worse, who would come into the exact mausoleum and touch the exact coffin, when there was a perfectly good coffin right next to his. Shaking away the thoughts, he left for the park again, finding a new note in the drop-box.

After reading it, he distastefully threw the paper to the ground, then scrambled to pick it up, and scribbled a reply immediately. It read, Don't you dare...

Sighing, he placed the paper back into the box, and nonchalantly left, to wander about aimlessly through the town until four came.

Her alarm woke her at four am sharp, the annoying sharp beeping loud in her ears. She groaned and slapped the snooze button and slowly sat up and then reached over again to turn off her alarm. She sat there in bed for a few moments before getting up and showering and blow drying her hair. Once dried off she dressed and headed downstairs for breakfast.

As his internal clock signaled four, he started heading for Lena's house, passing the occasional car on the road but not much else. After a while, he reached her house, and patiently waited for four-thirty, where he then knocked on her door. Inside, he was wishing that his curse would go away soon, but the other part of him rather enjoyed the company of Lena. Shaking away those thoughts before something bad happened, he waited for her to answer the door.

She heard the knocking and went and answered her door, knowing who it was before she opened it. She opened the door. "Hi." She greeted, already feeling a routine starting.

"Hello," he replied, smiling warmly, "You are looking as pleasant as ever." Then, he mentally slapped himself. Why did he do that!? It was pure insanity! Shaking his head, he mumbled, "Nevermind."

She smiled and chuckled. "It's quite alright." She paused a moment and seeing he hadn't come in yet, she sighed quietly and invited him in. "Please, come in." She stepped aside out of the way from the doorway.

Will nodded his head, stepping inside. "Nice to see you again," he said, deciding not to mention his scare back in the mausoleum.

"Would you like anything to eat or drink?" She said, then frowned. "Sorry, out of habit." She mumbled, and moved to her couch and sat, motion for Will to sit as well if he wanted to. She looked troubled for a moment before asking, "You really sleep in a coffinn?" She asked, knowing she had already once asked it. She just still couldn't wrap her mind around any of this.

"Don't apologize. While I cannot gain any nourishment from food, I can still eat it, and rather enjoy some of the tastes." He paused, listening to her ask about his sleeping habits. He smiled politely before saying, "I do. I find I cannot fall asleep on a normal bed. While it doesn't exactly disperpetuate stereotypes of my people, I cannot sleep any other way."

She paused for a moment, thoughtful. "What's it like? To sleep in one I mean?"

Will thought for a moment at her question. Finally, he said, "It's like being in the arms of the one you love, to be at a place you can truly call home..." He spoke softly, remembering his life as a human. Then, trying to break the somber atmosphere, he said, "Unless you're claustrophobic, then it's nearly Hell." He laughed unconvincingly.

She only nodded, grimicing slightly. She couldn't image being comfterable sleeping with the dead in a coffinn. She shuddered at the thought, trying to hide it. She closed the door behind them and moved to her couch, looking troubled. "You really are a...a vampire? Aren't you?" She asked, looking up at him as she sat down on her couch. It had been a few days now but logic and common sense was telling her this just wasn't real, it just couldn't be happening to her. She kicked off her shoes for the moment and brought her knees up to her chest and wrapped her arms around her legs and rested her chin on her knees, watching him.

He lightly sat next to her, nodding at her inquiry. "I would have nothing to gain from lying to anyone, but I'd have everything to lose. It is true, I am a creature of the night. I would never have believed it either, not until I finally saw a man's skin burst into flames in the sunlight and saw my own body begin to deteriorate after I rejected blood, thinking I could hold onto whatever it was that made me human. But in the end..." he raised his gaze to the ceiling, but he truly was looking towards Heaven, "...I am nothing but a monster." He whispers the last words, suddenly remorseful.

She looked away from him, out of one of the living room windows, unsure of what to say to him to make him feel better. She sighed and uncurled from her ball and leaned back against the couch. Ever since this routine with him had started, she had become a little pale from him taking her blood. Suddenly she got an idea, her face brightening a little. "Perhaps I can take you out." She offered. "I could show you something we humans like to do at night if you would like. I don't have to worry about going to work this weekend."

At her offer, he lowered his head so he could look into her eyes. "That would be lovely, Lena," he said, smiling genuinely, "I accept your offer, then. What time should I arrive, and on what day?" He asked, the smile even reaching his eyes. He was truly happy that she was being so kind to him, even after he had to take blood from her every night.