Valor Glade - Sign-Ups

• Thread starter The Villain King
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
~pokes le Nico's forehead~

@Zaira

Yes and no. My general policy is that I only accept extra characters if the sign-up impresses me, so go for it if you think you can whip out something awesome.

What if le Tōsuto whips up something spectacular?

Wow, challenge accepted!

I've been working on a male character, but I'm fine with either. If we need more of one or the other at the end, just say.

Work's been keeping me from finishing the bio, but it'll be done today.

@LeVen

Thanks.

@Tick

LeVen already volunteered to create a female, so we should be fine with four.

Well, here's my CS. I tried my best to make her awesome, but you'll say (:

, red

Shade Kendall
Female, 19

"You are pathetic."

« Personality »
It had been a long time since she allowed anyone to really see her, and so she hides most of her feelings behind sarcasm and a faked coldness. She constantly has a wall around her, keeping people away. But, deep down, she cares. She wouldn't be trying to graduate in Valor Glade otherwise, right? And the right people might even be able to pass through her shield. Anyway, this would definitely be a hard thing to accomplish, because according to her judgement, most of people care for 'paper' things; dumb human problems. And if she judges you as one of this annoying individuals, it might be difficult to escape from it. It's not necessary to say that she cares little for the things a girl her age does. Besides, she's almost fearless, and is willing to sacrifice her life for her beliefs.

Anyway, she's still human. And, no matter how serious she might want to look, she needs to have some fun from time to time. That's why she enjoys pulling some pranks. Well, that and she seriously doesn't care for people's superficial emotions and pain. This also leads her to the small control she has for the things she says. She will be completely direct and, unless she has a reason not to, sincere. People usually dislike her and try to avoid her, and she is completely okay with that. Besides, no matter how much she tries to control them, her own emotions overwhelmed her sometimes, causing some dangerous rage attacks and little control over her powers under this situations.

« Powers »
Gravity manipulation.
Basically, she can control gravity.
Right below, there is a list of things that she might do with her power.
  • Changing weight (Lowers the speed of certain enemies, turns heavy things into light ones, increases her own agility)
  • Increase gravity (Immobilize enemies making them fall, shatters certain things against the floor)
  • Decrease gravity (Causes levitation to herself or others, control of others or objects in the air)

Of course, her power has some limitations too.
  • She can't use it against anything 10 meters away from her (in any direction, so she can't make someone fly over that distance.)
  • She gets easily tired. It would take her around an hour to recover from five to ten minutes of intense use of her ability (Five to ten minutes of levitation, for example.)
  • Her power isn't completely precise. It's hard to target only one enemy, so she might change the gravity of him and anything around him. The most focused she is, the most precise she can be. If her enemy is close to her, she might not be able to affect him without affecting herself.
  • She's not strong enough to take gravity away at all or increase it much, so, her power can be fought. For example, if her enemy holds to some objects well gripped to the floor while she lowers the gravity or tries hard enough to stand up when she is trying to immobilize him.
« Background »
She had a regular, and you could even say happy, childhood. Of course, she had never been a girl that played with dolls, but she still enjoyed playing with some pokemon figures as a child. Even if she grew up being really mature for her age, she always loved her family, and appreciated the guidance of her parents. Although, her little sister was surely annoying. And, when they were both young teenagers, she had bothered Shade enough to make her excessively angry. At that moment, she passed away, feeling an awful pain all around her body, as if something was trying to take her directly towards the center of the Earth. When she woke up, she was splattered with some blood that seemed to come from a fallen big bookshelf. Her sister was down there, and she had made it fall. She had awoken and killed her little sister. That same day she ran away from her house, scared of facing her parents after what she had done. She had hunted some criminals on her own while she was on the streets, not knowing another way to release her anger and powers. Anyway, she applied to Valor Glade as soon as she was big enough to do it, knowing that it was the best place to focus on her powers and learn how to control them.

« Shade's quote »

"You know that force that's preventing you from asphyxiation in the outer atmosphere? I can pull it off, so get lost."

« Theme Song »

Last edited:
Reactions: LeVen
Done. I could add details about childhood, quirks, etc. I was avoiding heavy paragraphs on this one.

UQZahxQ.jpg

Cade Janko Hackett
Male/23

• A content man that's easy to please and hard to upset. A sense of impunity and invincibility has made Hackett foolhardy, jumping at risky opportunities no one else would dare. That combined with temperament has developed a resilient and near blind optimism that things turn out eventually.

Cade needs little to be satisfied, only basic needs, cigarettes, and a chance to use his physical and supernatural skills. He is an open, trusting man and one of a crowd, the type to follow the pack. Hackett holds few strong opinions of his own, and bends under other people's egos and views. An almost lethargic calm dominates his manner in everything but his job, which is granted a youthful, energetic interest. If no one harmless is inflicted harm, Cade rarely intervenes.

Janko socialized frequently where he trained, thoroughly interested in every student and staff and how they had ended up in the same place. He picks up on details about others, and knows most Valor Glade students by name and face.

Mindfucks unsettle and hit a nerve with Hackett, due to their invasive and influential nature. It is one of the few things that can shut down the normally happy persona.
  • Physic's reflection, or more accurately redirection. A counter ability that allows Hackett to use an external force to his own aim. Gun shoots a bullet, Hackett shoots it back - with the same amount of force the bullet had when the power took over. Hackett is able to stop and grab any force about to reach him, hold it briefly, and redirect it in any direction. Valor Glade pried a new skill from this power: instead of bouncing the threat away, Cade can brace for it and share it with a target. It is the force placed on Cade that is brought on the target, not personal injuries or condition, which allows for strategic use. A positive outside factor would also be shared.

Hackett is unable to do both skills at once. The direct counter's effectiveness depends on the strength and complexity of what is thrown at him, and will fail under too much stress. Thus Valor Glade has vigorously tested Hackett against a wide variety of threats, and quietly prepared him as a suicide soldier in a lose-lose situation. To maximize the advantage of Cade's abilities, he's been given specialized, light armor, given intense training to maintain an excelling fitness, and a small, controlled amount of medical enhancements for the thick of battle. This is to improve Cade's chance of survival and lower the amount of damage he actually suffers. And if all fails, to keep him fighting long past his expiration date.

Always athletic and born with excellent reflexes and agility, but showing little in self-defense, Valor Glade focused on endurance, and built on his constitution and strength. Then made him competent in close-combat. Speed is still the graduate's best ability, he is no brawler, but he takes in punches with grace and is competitive in most fights. Valor Glade also taught the man tactical combat casualty care, in the case no Übermensch are around to heal with their index finger.
    While thinking fast on his feet, Cade is about average intelligence. He is vulnerable to suggestion, and has more difficulty countering related powers, due to their abstract nature and the notable impact they have on him.
  • The reality about Awakenings hit Cade's city at age 9, in 2021. Friends' older brothers and sisters began to have impossible abilities and skills, a singed and bare man walked out of the fire of a collapsing building and coughed out flames. A masked teen named 'Bouncer' would do a new form of hardcore parkour and upload videos on the net. Cade and the rest of his school ate it up, played pretend on which superhuman they were or what magical power they had, made a trading card game about anyone they heard of or that made it in the news.

By the end of middle school, the crime rates shot up with the people's exploitation of their new advantages. More people, particularly older generations, began to turn on those experiencing the phenomenon with a cold, hard eye. It was the new sin of society, the new 'War on Drugs.' But Cade, and most peers, still idolized the 'heroes' and show-offs, and the rebellious danger made it all the more enticing. Cade was never ambitious, but he was dying to gain his own power.

Cade was generally liked wherever he was - a good-looking, fit runner. A laid-back and happy kid quick to say yes. But a friendly jab at the size of a towering student in class lit their short fuse. A heavy fist skid across Cade's jaw as he entered the hallway. Another fist swung for Cade as he stumbled, but that one he saw coming. Cade opened his palm to grab the hand or wrist, and lil' Tommy's balled hand flew backward, crashing against his eye and brow. People saw. Two more hits dived for and fled from Cade on the whim of his fingers. And at sixteen, Cade became a small, local sensation.

Cade has had an enduring obsession since. He endlessly practiced with this new ability, mulling over exactly how it worked and triggered, mostly for tricks and games. The young adult never had dreams of changing the world, he wanted the power for the sake of itself. Hackett increasingly learned a sense of invulnerability, and with his zeal, acted foolhardy with the new skill. It wasn't until Valor Glade that it broke someone's leg during afterhours. While the accident's victim healed, it was a shock to Hackett and brought him under heavy surveillance, with the threat of expulsion and prison if he showed signs of trouble.

Valor Glade, nonetheless, was a gift. It was free learning, and a career and license to do what he loved.

Quote:
"Fun! Shadow puppets kind of game?"
"'Ello my darlin' Darla."
"Nah, c'mon. Nightmares wake you up. You've got a fantastic skill, you just gotta figure out its kinks."
"I'unno. What's the point of the job without something worth protectin'? We learn from mistakes."
"Good! Always liked "Charlie." Let's just not test if my mind's got 20/20."
"Now where'd we be without another girl defying the laws of physics? When you see a boy grinning at you like a god, it'll be because you just saved his life from an earthquake, not because you're growing out a beard and snorting out flames."
"Gravity! Talkin' my language. Throw it at me, let's see what we can do!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Villain, my man, if the bio's no good I can always fix it or snap up another one. ;]

@Tick

Two things. One, his ability is kinda ridiculous, considering it allows him to win nearly any fight. Also, I need you to fix his backstory and history. All of the main characters are freshmen in Valor Glade.

Misread that bit, my bad.

The idea was the amount he could counter was limited, so any serious force would still blast 'im, but I get how that could be the 'everything-proof shield' the kid in kindergarten liked so much.
I gotta get on another bio for a different RP, so don't hold the RP up for me, but if I have the chance I'll throw up something different this weekend. :]

94d64f5fa695fa3943471c5be14327a8.jpg
wkn006.gif
Gameshark's blade, Dorsal
Plasma.png

Name: Gemini, refers to his hero persona as Gameshark
Gender/Age: 19
Personality: Gemini is optimistic and resourceful, always believing that every conflict has a solution. He lives for thrills and craves the rush of adrenaline through his veins. He is fairly social, but will only befriend those who he deems can help him on his way to the top. He aspires to be a great hero once he graduates, and as such, he constantly roleplays as his hero persona, Gameshark. He does his best to make everything he does appear epic and legendary, as he aspires to one day become a legend himself. However, he often gets lost in his fantasies, and tends to daydream a lot when he could instead be focusing on the current situation. Gemini's bravado often leads him to be extremely competitive, and he will never turn down a challenge, even if it would be smarter to just walk away and cut his losses.
Powers:
Gemini's abilities have a very unique effect on his surroundings...instead of being affected by normal laws of physics and reality, all of Gemini's actions and choices follow Video Game Logic. Along with his ability to assume his "hero form", shown above, as well as his energy blade Dorsal, Gemini is also capable of feats such as double jumping, acrobatic moves and flips, storing items in an unseen "inventory", regardless of size, and other gaming-related elements. Often, a text box will appear in the air next to him and dictate his actions, much like classic turn-based RPGs like Final Fantasy. He is Scott Pilgrim on steroids. He is the embodiment of the arcade's wrath. He is Gameshark.

However, since his abilities follow Video Game Logic, this also means that he has a concrete, set-in-stone amount of health and stamina that must be monitored and kept track of during fights. Turn-based fights that he engages in force him to allow his opponent to fight back, which can often work to his disadvantage. His lust for excitement can easily cause him to lose focus and forget his strategy.

Background: Gemini spent his entire childhood in an orphanage, having no memories of what happened to his parents or anything about his life beforehand. His charm and intelligence could easily have attracted several potential couples to adopt him, were it not for his incessant habit of gaming on the orphanage's various game systems until the late hours of the night. Gemini worked his way through the classics, starting with the old coin-ops until he had mastered them, then moving on to the early Nintendo legends like Metroid and Super Mario Bros., until he had beaten them as well. He continued this way until he had bested every game available to him, for none of them stood in the way of his dream: to grow to be the best gamer in the world.

Gemini was never adopted, and after he reached age 15, he had grown skilled enough to earn himself considerable money in competitive gaming circuits and tournaments. His uncanny natural gift earned him enough dough to rent an apartment and pay for groceries, with enough left over to fuel his gaming desires with the latest lag-free technology.

One night, as he was training for a big tournament, a weak cord in his apartment's wiring busted, and Gemini's high-quality speakers blew out. The resulting earsplitting static pierced straight to his brain, making his head feel like it was about to burst like a water balloon as his powers manifested themselves for the first time.

His powers came naturally to him, his long history of gaming highly complementing his new abilities. He knew the moves to use; he had played enough fighting games and studied their mechanics to know where weaknesses in defenses could be found, and how the opponent's strength could be used against them. Gemini indulged in a slight bit of illegal vigilantism, until a close scrape with law enforcement caused him to reconsider his dangerous actions. However, the higher-ups had already seen all they needed to, and it wasn't long before the invitation letter to Valor Glade Academy for Awakened arrived in the mail.
Quote: "You really think you're Player One? I'm already setting high scores. You've only just picked up the controller."
Theme Song: Gemini's theme:

Gameshark's theme:
~

2c433004f704de9dbc563cfaf77c9e001269555497_full.jpg

Name: Xeren Grieve
Gender/Age: 20
Personality: Xeren is cold, and methodical, yet thoughtful and pondering. He keeps his emotions in check at all times, and refuses to let them get in the way of his logical thinking. He's always prepared. ALWAYS. Xeren always has a plan up his sleeve...and three backup plans in the other. A slight bit of paranoia causes him to sometimes perceive threats that aren't really there, which often makes him come off to people as being a bit of a shady and suspicious character. He possesses powerful problem-solving skills, and has an uncannily efficient through process that allows him to usually complete tasks in the most efficient way possible. However, the flaw that gets in the way of all of his positive qualities is his desire for power. Xeren can never sleep totally soundly at night, never feel safe, never feel complete, unless he is in a position of authority, and he often sets this agenda as his number one priority at all times, aside from survival.

To acquire this power he so craves, Xeren often spends a great deal of his free time plotting and planning for ways in which he will get what he wants. He holds complete faith in his own abilities, and will very rarely turn to others to help him unless he is aware of a situation that he cannot handle alone. Even then, Xeren can hardly bring himself to become close to a person. It would take a completely manipulative, psychotic female to pierce his cold exterior and come to understand the even colder interior.

Powers: Xeren's abilities have huge potential for growth, and he does not know it, but his abilities are far, far more than what they seem. So far, the limit of Xeren's ability seems to be the power to manifest negative thoughts, ideas, and emotions in his mind as physical entities that will do his bidding. These entities vary widely in appearance, though they all look shadowy and dark, as if sculpted from ink. They can take the form of anything from flocks of crows to canine creatures like those in the picture above. The more powerful the thought or emotion, the stronger the creature summoned. Thankfully, Xeren usually has his emotions in a chokehold, but you never know when a guy might lose his patience...

The entities summoned by Xeren have no will of their own, and will vanish into black smoke if he is knocked unconscious or otherwise rendered incapacitated. The creatures are just about as durable, if not more, than the animals they resemble. Xeren is also able to transform his own body, for example, turning his arms into dark claws, but if he ever tried a full transformation then he runs an extremely high risk of losing control completely. Possible modifications include flight-capable wings, claws, and hardened armor-like skin, which maintains a toughness similar to that of glass. It will reduce the impact of bumps, scrapes, and glancing blows, but it will yield under the pressure of direct, precise strikes.

His abilities are limited mostly by the suppression of his emotions that usually keeps the creatures from becoming utter horrors, but if he does lose control, then his logical thinking disappears and he becomes driven by the desire for victory alone, which makes him reckless and susceptible to overlooking important details in combat.

Background: The less you know about Xeren, the better off you probably are...(will be revealed in the roleplay. Sorry, I don't usually do this, but his backstory is part of the development.)
Quote: "Your fears haunt you and bring you low, mine protect me with tooth and claw."
Theme Song:

Last edited by a moderator:
@Zombehs

If you sign up soon before the RP gets rolling, I might let you join. Your app needs to be spot-on though.

Are you still accepting? If so, is there anything specific I should keep in mind? (I noticed you were looking for equality in gender.)

Status
Not open for further replies.