Useful Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be kind. To yourself and to others.

Stand up for yourself. Be proud of your beliefs and of your values. Stand up against bigotry and haters. Stand up for your friends, but don't let them become dependent on your support.

Wash your coffee machine with white vinegar and water at least every 2 months, you filthy addict.

Appreciate what you have. You're amazing: you can see, touch, smell, taste, hear. As someone who is losing their sight slowly, I cannot tell you enough how beautiful life looks. Don't wait until your countdown begins before you start enjoying life.

You have control over your own life. You make your own choices. There is no such thing as "I didn't have a choice". If you don't see more than one option, make it.

I know it sounds cheesy but don't lose hope. Don't become cynical and filled with regret. Some things take long, some things may seem like they never happen. If that's the case, the problem is probably you -- you have to be able to do some introspection and accept that you may have to change yourself to become a better person. We are social beings, no one is truly happy being alone all the time. Don't let pride or ego prevent you from becoming the best of you that you can be. As much as everything can always get worse, everything can always be better.

As JK Rowling said, when you've reach dirt bottom, when you have nothing left to lose, all you can do is go up. Be realistic with what you can do, but don't let anyone bring you down.

There's no such thing as failure, only learning lessons.

Don't bother trying to please people.

Be true to yourself, go your own way, make mistakes.

Never give up.

Don't apologize unless you're actually sorry.

Hold your head high, act with confidence, even when you've got none.

Here's something useful! If the food in your fridge has that 'fridge' smell, well, first clean out your fridge. Second, pop in a box of baking soda. It really does work awesomely.

Baking soda is also rather helpful in speeding up time it takes to boil legumes.

Also, just a little thing I told my students the other day. You lose nothing by being polite. But by being rude, it's very possible that you will lose something. ^_^

@Razilin - I did quote your post to them today ^_^ Er, the first one, not the one about pulling.

Here's another one.

Just walk away from your computer and other electronics. Turn it all off sometimes and take a stroll through the park, let life handle itself. Don't become so obsessed with the Internet that it consumes your every waking moment--it'll fuck you up.

jareth_timeline_cover_by_hecallsmekitten-d4x0gde.jpg

roy_mustang_quote_s_by_taufiksitompul-d61dpqm.jpg

51ec19717be6190aca27c909522a17e7.jpg

squall_leonheart_wallpaper_by_alexielsama.jpg

Reactions: Greenie
Don't just look at your immediate situation or surroundings. If you do that you'll fall into a trap of simply adapting but never improving, and never learning.
  • For example jobs. Don't just look at the immediate "I need a wage" but also consider what job in the future could make you happy, could be more reliable, could pay more atc.
  • When it comes to social circles, don't assume everyone is like those you interact with. Cause those people already have a filter in one way or another, take a step back and observe society as a whole. It will give you a better idea of how people in general act/behave. This can aid you in predicting public movements, reactions or simply not be as surprised when dealing with new kinds of people.
  • Try to learn about topics that don't hold immediate relevance. May it be Science, Cultures, History etc. Not only will you learn new facts and perspectives that can change you for the better, but it helps you contribute towards making society as a whole more educated and aware.
Also, look at situations and individuals for yourself before forming an opinion. Too often I see people get too rallied up over X cause or X person not through any thought of their own, but because a friend of there's "Explained" a situation to them. This is can be bad in two ways, firstly you're giving up your ability to be independent and form your own thoughts, and secondly your friend could easily be biased. Bias is bad enough in itself, don't let yourself now be burdened with other people's bias's as well.

Never stop asking "Why". Doing so helps you grow, and learn more about the world. It helps gives you a strive to move forward when you otherwise may be halted to stop. It let's you view things through your own eyes instead of another's.

Politeness and Manners are good up to a certain point. But don't compromise who you are or what you believe on account of it. After all it's yourself you need to be able to live with, not anyone else.

Always have a sense of humour. Don't be one of those people who are constantly "not in the mood" for humour. That quickly becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy of being sad, and never getting out of it cause you effectively cut yourself off from trying to feel better again.

And get some thick skin. Life will throw a lot of things at you that you either don't like or don't agree with, if your response to this is to hide in a corner, trying to report/censor said things or simply passive-aggressively demonising said people, then frankly speaking you live a sad and fragile life. You'll be a lot better off if you learn to pick your battles and not invent 101 non-problems.

With all that being said, don't take this (or anyone's) advice to idiotic extremes, just use common sense.
Just walk away from your computer and other electronics. Turn it all off sometimes and take a stroll through the park, let life handle itself.
And if you desire to get 2 birds with one ball stone, download Pokemon GO and catch some pokemon!
You will be healthy and the undisputed Gym Leader! :3

And if you desire to get 2 birds with one ball stone, download Pokemon GO and catch some pokemon!
You will be healthy and the undisputed Gym Leader! :3
No electronics. You keep your phone in case people need to call you for emergencies (or your work calls you in), but just... Walk away. For a couple hours at least, walk away. Take a few deep breaths. Empty your mind of its concerns and worries and all the bullshit you get drowned in online every day. Remember that no matter how bad things seem, the world is still there. The grass still grows, the sun still shines, the rain still comes down, the birds still sing... The world is there, no matter how bad things get. Don't let yourself be consumed by distractions, or end up forever pursuing a white whale.

It never ends well for Ahab. So don't be Ahab, take a break, let you crew go home. Let your mind drift and wander to less unpleasant things sometimes, without needing to pay an entertainer for your smiles.

Here's some advice for those of you who travel a whole lot on airplanes. Use the washroom at the beginning of the journey, like right when you enter the plane. The reasons behind that should be obvious.

Allow yourself to feel your emotions. Don't swallow them down. Don't dismiss them. You are not a weak or inferior person for feeling sad, angry, or hopeless. Cry when you need to. Your body will thank you. Most of all, when you allow yourself to feel your negative emotions, your positive emotions feel that much stronger.

My life got a lot better when I stopped ignoring my sadness.

If your computer shuts off randomly and your lights are still on, 99.99% chance it's the power supply, not the motherboard.

• Useful
Reactions: Sidhe and Greenie
Here's some more usefulness for y'all (taking it from the Quirks thread).

Proofread your work by reading it out loud. You'll be amazed at how many mistakes you can catch that way. Even if it's not literally out loud, reading silently with lip movements helps a whole lot in eliminating pesky typos and grammar mistakes.

Reactions: Brovo
Here's some more usefulness for y'all (taking it from the Quirks thread).

Proofread your work by reading it out loud. You'll be amazed at how many mistakes you can catch that way. Even if it's not literally out loud, reading silently with lip movements helps a whole lot in eliminating pesky typos and grammar mistakes.
Hey! :ferret:

• Thank You
  • Love
Reactions: Brovo
If you're going to get married, live with the person first. You don't really know someone until you've shared a house with them for a while. But my advice would be not to get married at all. That's not exactly realistic, so if you are, live with them first!

• Thank You
The sell by date is not the expiration date. It should be good for a couple days after.
If you must use hair removal cream, follow the directions and do not rub it in! Don't do it!
Open the banana reverse from the stem. The stem end will make you smash the banana.
Don't feed rabbits carrots or birds bread!
Hairspray gets rid of permanent marker.
Soap water kills wasps and does it quickly.
If you're having problems online or at events, talk to the staff. They are there to help.

• Useful
When you're trying to solve a puzzle (like in sudoku for example) for a while but can't seem to find the solution, take a break and do something else for a while. That helps in seeing the puzzle once more with a fresh mind... and hopefully also help with finding the solution. At least I found that works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.