Urban Jungle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nevi mulled over Yana's theory, she clearly had to have been staying here for a long time to think of something so advanced. Something was bothering him though. "But why would they do that? It doesn't sound very nice to live that way. Maybe they didn't want to live that way at first, but they dropped into that way of life so slowly they didn't notice?" It was sad to think that such a thing could happen while such a colorful world lied just outside. The ranger then remembered the first thing his saw in the city. "When I climbed the wall for a while all there was were those armored guards, none of the other city folk seemed to be staying there. It was almost like they were more focused on keeping people in then out."

Yanaike herself had never seen the armored guards, guarding the wall. "I'm not sure" Yanaike said while nodding. "Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you're right..." Yanaike had never been able to defend her own ideas. How much she hated it, she was usually quickly convinced by a simple argument from the other side. "... However it could also be that those guards are 'protecting' their own people from the outside world?" Yanaike sighed and leaned forward, not sure idea she believed more. The idea about the illness was pretty explanatory and explained a lot of phenomenons happening on the streets. However the idea of these people living in kind of an alternative reality was not something she wanted to discard. Maybe, could it be possible that...?
Suddenly her thoughts were interrupted by a loud croaking sound. Yanaike shook up and hurried to her bathroom.
"Excuse me... I eh... have to uhm... go to the toilet... uh... yes!" she quickly said as she opened the bathroom's door and disappeared inside. "Don't come in please!" she shouted from behind the bathroom's walls.
Her bathroom was very much unlike the rest of her apartment. This was where she kept her withcraft hidden. There was a tub inside, which seemed to be used by city-people as an alternative for a shower, but instead of regular water it was filled with a bizarre green-colored liquid. Likewise, the sink was filled with another kind of liquid, this one colored slightly brownish, similar to caramel. In the middle of the room a couple of large glass objects were stored, in which Yanaike kept her finished brewings, clearly labeled with words and terms that only made sense in Yanaike's mind. Last but not least, the bathroom was home to her pet: a frog, which she found wandering through the city streets. It was the only animal Yanaike had ever seen inside the city walls, and after she'd found it, she captured it and kept the lost animal inside her bathroom to make sure he or she would be safe.
Her pet looked different though. Instead of the usual bright green color, her pet was now slightly more blue-ish.
"Oh no!" Yanaike said, shaking her head, as she grabbed the frog and hold it in her arms. "Have you been drinking from my cauldron again? How many times I have told you, you shouldn't do that. Who knows hat might happen to you if you keep drinking my magic spells!" She placed the frog on the ground, took his bowl and kept it in the sink, filling it with regular water.
"Here, have this" she said as she placed the bowl on the ground. She placed a finger on her lips. "Now keep quiet! I have a guest!"

Last edited:
Nevi seemed troubled by Yanaike's response. She had so quickly blended to his idea, and doubted her own. The ranger was still holding on to his theory of the City Plague, but that didn't mean he was absolutely sure he was right or Yana was wrong. "Hey, you shouldn't-" suddenly there was the corse sound of a frog croaking. The witch-girl then excused herself claiming she would have to use the bathroom, proceeding to go to the room that the croak had came from.

Hope of the magical witch Nevi had imagined before returned, witches had frogs didn't they? He never quite understood that, did they have a special resistance to magic potions? Regardless his trained ears caught all of what Yana said in the bathroom. Cauldron, magic, and spells specificity caught his interest. He would definitely ask more on the magic subject as soon as she returned.

When Yanaike came back she was immediately greeted Nevi asking, "so about you being a witch. I remember you saying 'but', but that guard interrupted you. Does it have something to do with, you know, your tail?"

Yanaike sighed as she returned to the couch, seating herself down on it. She never really liked talking about her magic with strangers, especially not in this setting. Even though she felt her apartment was pretty safe, she was unsure if people were able to overhear their conversation and what the consequences would be.

However, as much as she liked to deny it, it wasn't possible to ignore the subject anymore. Nevi knew too much already, and even though Yanaike might be able to ignore his question, she was sure he would ask another question sooner or later. She didn't blame him either. He just seemed curious. And it seemed logical to her. Yanaike would be curious herself as well if she was in his situation.

"Yes, I am a witch" she responded. "And, yes, it has to do something with my tail as well." She hesitated for a moment but then decided to tell him the full story.

"In the past, I have been involved in sort of a chemistry accident. I cannot remember the full details anymore, since I was pretty young back then. But I remember how it gave me my tail and at the same time it also gave me the ability to use magic. After that, my life has never been the same anymore. I became the victim of bullies, as where I originate from, it is pretty rare to have access to magic animal characteristics, but as you might know it is even more uncommon to have animal characteristics. This was one of the reasons I walked away from home. Since that time I have led a pretty nomadic existence, traveling around without a real home, surviving by means of magic. That was until I discovered my magic slowly fading away from my body. My spells became less powerful or at sometimes did not even have any effect at all. I don't know if it's just me, or other magicians experience this problem as well. Anyway, at the same time I discovered it had to do something with this city. Somehow I feel the cause of my magic disappearing originating from within the city walls. This is the place where my magic is still most powerful, although I hardly use any ordinary magic anymore, since I prefer to spare mana for emergencies. So, that is why I think you might be right as well. If there is indeed a illness causing people within the city walls to behave the way they do, maybe that illness is also related to my magic. But I don't know. Since I've been staying in this city I haven't made a lot of progress regarding my magic. However I have been doing a lot of experiments with magic by the use of potions. As you might know, potions are one of the most purest forms of magic and as for me, it is the only reliable source of magic right now."

Nevi relized he had perhaps he had gone a little too far even before Yanaike began telling her tale. The look on his face only grew more apologetic as she spoke, and he attempted to think of something comforting or at least uplifting to tell her. That sounded terrible, being the one to suffer from a horrible mistake of another, being bullied for something completely out of your control, and then having the one thing keeping you alive begin to fade. He might have been slightly exaggerating what he had said but the ranger was still beating himself up for asking such a personal question to someone he hardly knew. What could he possibly say to help the situation? He racked his brain as a awkward molment of silence passed between Nevi and Yana.

Finally Nevi managed to think of something that might help. It was a stretch, he didn't quite believe it himself, but it might just help his new friend's situation. "I'm sorry about that. That sounds terrible. But... Have you ever heard of the Secret Library?" He assumed that Yana had not, or she would have mentioned it by now. "There's a legend that says somewhere under the city is a place where all magic comes from. They say it was made by a race even older than the humans and they all disappeared but no one knows why. Nobody knows where it is either, but maybe it has something to do with the problems your having with your magic?"

"A secret library?" Yanaike asked. "No, I have never heard of that? Nevi started explaining about the library. When he was done Yanaike was staring at her, with her mouth open from excitement. "Sooo…? How could I find that library?" At this point she hoped Nevi would just pull some kind of ancient map out of his pockets. Maybe written in ancient letters? Yanaike wouldn't mind that. She was very good in solving puzzles and it could take her a day or two, but in the end she would figure out its location. She didn't know for certain that the library would be related to her magic, but as Yanaike loved libraries she wanted to visit it anyway.

Nevi sort of sunk into his seat. "I-I have no idea," he said with shame in his voice. Why would he bother mentioning that if he didn't even know it existed, much less how to find it. He felt he had only worsened Yana's mood. "I've heard the city people like to collect old things. Do you know a place they would store them? Maybe there would be a clue there." He didn't have much hope with the question. Even if they did have something that could lead them to the library, humans always wanted that strange green paper, and Yana didn't seem to have any.

A place were they collect things? Yanaike took a second to think.
"Maybe the museum?" she responded. "They have this old building somewhere near the centre of the city, which has all kinds of ancient artifacts and stuff like that. I've always wanted to pay it a visit, but just didn't have a good reason to go there." Yanaike stood up from the couch and walked in a large circle through her living room. She studdenly stopped and looked Nevi into his eyes.
"We could go there?" she proposed. "Tomorrow? Or... maybe even today!? Tonight? We could be like spies, break into the museum, steal some valuable things and quickly retreat before they spot us!" A twinkling appeared in Yanaikes eyes. Even though the idea was quite extreme, she more and more started to enjoy her idea.

A museum? Nevi was surprised that such a place existed. He didn't see the point in collecting dusty old relics, they just sat there and took up space. The ranger was pleased by the sparkle in Yanaike's eyes, she was excited and happy, he had succeeded in his goal. But then he considered what the witch girl was saying. The excitement had gotten to him too, shadowing his better thought.

"Well... I guess they don't have any use for them if there just putting them in some old building. How protective could they be?" A adventurous smile appeared on Nevi's face as he stood up and thrust a finger into the air, almost hitting the top of Yana's ceiling. "Then it's settled! Tonight we will sneak into this 'museum' and find a artifact that will lead us to the legendary Secret Library!" The opportunity of another venture filled the ranger with valor, reminding him he still didn't have his gear.

Nevi looked down at Yana, still in his triumphant pose. "But first, could we go and grab my stuff? I think it will be useful."

Status
Not open for further replies.