Updating the Roleplay Resume! Give your suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's fine. :)

everything already there is great, time zone idea and preference place to RP are wonderful ideas. I do this that the actually Resume button should be more of a feature then an afterthought.

Reactions: Mazula
Timezone indicator. Actually, having this near avatars would be ideal, just something that converts server time to the timezone indicated in their profile. Like a little thing under each avatar that says something like "Local time for fatalrendezvous is 11:37am" or something.

Paragraph breaks.

BBCode formatting.

I see a few people suggesting things for the "Gender You Prefer Playing" section. Perhaps to avoid potentially offending anyone who might be easily offended, an option of "Flexible" or "Adaptable" or something along that line could be added.

The Time Zone idea is pure gold, and would help players and GMs coordinate more efficiently. If it could be easily implemented, I'd say go for it. But something like that might also be a pain in the ass to code.

The Preferred RP Section (Chat, Threads, PMs) is a great idea as well. Would help players who frequent those types of RPs to find one another a little easier.

Custom Fields might not be too bad of an idea, but adding coding in could create issues with people adding images. The Resume can be seen from any post someone makes in the threads via their avatar, and adding an image into it could throw things out of whack and mess up the layout.

There's a couple sections (like least favorite genres) that don't allow line breaks.

It would be nice to be able to do that.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Well mostly when i look up a person if i do wonder about them as Rper's
I check their preferences
and then i stalk their activities on the forums to see their rping style, OOC behaviour and so on.

Aka

BETTER STALKING TOOLS!!
errr i mean improved reference research opportunities o.o

I would rather not have the BB code formating as an option especially since bb codes mean colored fonts not always readable on other backgrounds and could become more of a distraction than anything. Keeping such informatiom clear, readable, and understandable is far more inportant than fancy formating and special colors.

@Rilette I feel like this is sort of already covered with the Writing Levels indicator. I mean, if I see somebody select Advanced, I'm going to expect at least 4+ paragraphs for an intro right out of the gate. Maybe it's just me, but I assume the higher the level, the longer the post. I know it is not always the case but it's definitely the side to bet on. I feel like having Writing Levels and Post Length separate would be redundant.

Just my two cents, though!

@Rilette I feel like this is sort of already covered with the Writing Levels indicator. I mean, if I see somebody select Advanced, I'm going to expect at least 4+ paragraphs for an intro right out of the gate. Maybe it's just me, but I assume the higher the level, the longer the post. I know it is not always the case but it's definitely the side to bet on. I feel like having Writing Levels and Post Length separate would be redundant.

Just my two cents, though!
A lot of writers on Iwaku don't associate post length with level though. In fact, writing level and writing length are two seperate things. You can write six paragraphs and still not be higher than intermediate because you fail to cover all perimeters. On the other hand, you can be advance and cover all expectations in a paragraph or two. Just take a look a Ilium. A whole plot was driven by three well executed sentences that pretty much changed the whole course of the story.

Can you add a ACTUAL tab system to the Favorite genres and least favorite genres and add that system to some sort of search bar/search system so us GMs can just type in a genre that their RP is about and it brings up members who actually like the same genre and us GMs can recruit them. Or just add actual tabs to the genre section of the resume, so people sharing the same interests can find others whom share the same interest better.

Line breaks in all text fields, please!

...Roleplay Wishlist and Plot Candies could, and maybe should, be rolled into one section to save space. They are very similar things....
I don't agree with this, I think the RP wish list should be a box where you should be able to write little chapters of the main plots you want atm; While the candies should be simple tags, like Fantasy, Modern, Romance, Libertine, Sci-Fi for example.

That is at least my understanding of each, which is quite different.

Reactions: Noctis the Devious
Things Flare thinks are important in a Roleplayer's resume:

• Experience: have you been playing for days, months, years?
  • How many characters you are comfortable controlling all at once: If someone answers infinity it may be cause for consern :D
  • How many characters are you comfortable interacting with all at once: If two characters talk to yours at the same time, will it make your head spin?
  • What kind of RP's are you up for: Hate slice of life? Good to mention here.
  • Space to add/link existing characters.

That is all :3

Custom fields would be awesome!

let us update OUR roleplay resume

A section about how many nerds you have punched this week. This is needed for....reasons.

A section about how many nerds you have punched this week. This is needed for....reasons.
I will have to update my resume once a week? D: I disapprove!
Punched this month on the other hand, totally for it :D

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: 1 person
I will have to update my resume once a week? D: I disapprove!
Punched this month on the other hand, totally for it :D
What I want to be able to update my resume. Cues I didn't know what libertine is until now, and I want to change the libertine settings. I am a fourteen year old girl I don't want to know anything about sex while am going throught puberty.

@Everly
Also, I think it would be fun to have something saying preferred post length. Grammar and content can be excellent in three sentences, but maybe a six-paragraph essay post would be too much for some people to avoid filling with fluff.
That's exactly what I was talking about, though. What if I prefer Adept to Advanced grammar, but I can only get 2-3 paragraphs without fluff-filling?
[spoili]Besides, the guide doesn't specify length, so I think the expectations that come with it are no fun.

I hate roleplays where I feel pressured to go over 4-5 paragraphs when I have little to say (to appease someone else's preferences),
or where I feel like I should limit myself to 1-2 when I'm feeling motivated (to make sure the other persons don't think they have to keep up with more than they're comfortable with). I just thought it would be kinda nice if you could say your preferred length.[/spoili]​
I tried to avoid being redundant by leaving out my wishes that there'd be another option for the length/content minimum you expect from your rp partners, rather than just yourself... Apparently that didn't help much tho

Reactions: Noctis the Devious
Status
Not open for further replies.