UPDATE DAY FEBRUARY 28TH: REVERTING THE ROLEPLAY SYSTEM, SITE UPDATES & BUG FIXES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana

LOOK HOW CALM SHE IS
Original poster
ADMINISTRATOR
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller, Space Exploration, Slice of Life
OUR NEXT BIG IWAKU UPDATE IS FEBRUARY 28TH. IWAKU WILL BE DOWN FOR MOST OF THE DAY WHILE WE RUN A SOFTWARE UPDATE AND REVERT BACK TO OUR OLD ROLEPLAY SYSTEM.

OMG! Why are you changing things BACK?! Why, why, why changes all the time!

Iwaku is a great roleplay site because we make regular updates and we're willing to occasionally take RISKS! Sometimes these risks give us amazing results and you can't imagine life without it. ...and then sometimes those risks end up going HORRIBLY WRONG and turn out to be a really bad idea. After getting to see the system in live action and getting feedback from the member base, despite a lot of the good features - the issues and bad problems completely out-weighed all the good stuff. It did not work out the way we hoped. T_T

The first issue being that "Complex" Game Masters (the ones that need a bazillion pages and codes) were really the only ones that were able to understand and make full use of all the special features and options. For the MAJORITY of Game Masters and One/One players, (which includes site and roleplay newbies), things were either too confusing to figure out or they simply didn't NEED the additional options. There's not a lot of ways we can turn things off or adjust based on need variables.

Our second issue is that the system is a nightmare for our moderators to upkeep. We were not able to find fixes to get around it. And considering there were so many people that had issues getting things right, mods cannot keep up with duties fast enough and there have been a LOOOOT of misplaced threads, and issues. Our poor volunteers and staff have been pulling out their hair. D:

And finally, there were some bugs and issues we were not able to find fixes for. Issues with how tabs displayed, issues with the text boxes, issues with the auto-thread creation, issues with editing content. Just a lot of little problems that added up in combination with other things.

Okay, we're switching back - do we get to keep ANY of the cool and useful stuff?
We will be keeping the TAGGING system and finding ways to make this more useful! (That will include a master list of all available tags, and hopefully a quick view of tags in the thread viewer.) There may be some other small things, but I am unable to confirm those right now.

We are also working on a sustainable and creative way to still have navigation tabs or buttons to link all your threads together. We tried to commission a modder to create a multiple tabs option, but sadly they were not able to do the update we wanted. :( (On the bright side, they DID say they're try to revisit that in the future and we've already reserved donation monies to help make it happen when/if it can!)

***** You do NOT need to worry about lost information in your additional tabs. It will convert over or we will do some converting manually. However, you might have to pretty up code.

Why did you choose February 14th?!
Because I'll be so busy working on the site and people will be so busy complaining about the downtime, that I won't have to listen to anyone bitch about Valentine's Day! 8D HURRAY!

On update day, as usual, we will have the chat rooms open with themed roleplay settings, teamspeak, as well as some game groups for Cards Against Humanity or vidya gaems so you'll still have something to do while you wait.

Because this update is going to involve BOTH a forum system update (just the usually maintenance and bug fix crap) AND reverting the roleplay system, we expect the site to be down at least 24 hours. Probably not THAT long though. It's going to be an EASY update, but it might be a time consuming one. So we're allowing for that kinda crap.

As always, if you have questions, ask away!

You may now proceed to do those things that make us questions why we leave comments open on announcement threads! =____=

Last edited:
WOOHOO FOR EASIER MODDING JOBS AGAIN :D

More importantly, always good to know that mods are willing to make changes to suit to everyone's preferences.

I'm actually really, really happy about this! Thank you guys for taking member feedback into consideration. ;v; Though it does seem like it was also an issue with staff, like you mentioned. I just have a question: in the old system, we had 'content tags' that would go below the role-play. Would we be getting those back? I know we have a new tag system, which I also like, but I liked the colourful tags haha.

Reactions: Noctis the Devious
I am pleased with your usurpation of Arizona Statehood Day for this... event. Proceed.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
I just have a question: in the old system, we had 'content tags' that would go below the role-play. Would we be getting those back?

I am hoping to be able to do this with the new tagging system, but I am not 100% we can. In which case, it is very likely we will do the old content tags in thread view again!

Reactions: Noctis the Devious
OUR NEXT BIG IWAKU UPDATE IS FEBRUARY 14TH. IWAKU WILL BE DOWN FOR MOST OF THE DAY WHILE WE RUN A SOFTWARE UPDATE AND REVERT BACK TO OUR OLD ROLEPLAY SYSTEM.
PRAISE OUR LORD AND SAVIOR DIANA! GIVE THANKS UNTO THE ONE AND ONLY TRUE GOD OF IWAKU! SING YOUR PRAISES UNTO THE WARP AND OUR BELOVED ADMINISTRATOR!

#ImplyingDianaIsAChaosGodIsFun

IWAKU WILL BE DOWN FOR MOST OF THE DAY WHILE WE RUN A SOFTWARE UPDATE AND REVERT BACK TO OUR OLD ROLEPLAY SYSTEM.

Thank you, holy fucking shit, thank you. I realize how much work this is legitimately going to be for you, and I'll go out of my way to conform Legend of Renalta to a more old-system friendly edition before the 14th.

The role play sections will be back to being functional again! Woohoo!

• Love
Ah, the dreaded post by me that surely will entail some kind of dislike...

Actually not this time. I can't say I'm really jump-for-joy happy about going back to the old system, as I did think this system was just a bit too flashy and complex, but a good system if it were to be boiled down. However, this is the only reason I'm sticking around. The staff listen and that makes this place work. I've gotten the whole "If you don't like it then leave" speach a million and a half times, but those people don't realize that if i didn't like it I would leave. I know I don't agree with everything, but I'm a massive cynic, whaddya want from me?

I will, however, miss the downtime, but for all I know I might have to work for a long time that day. VDay is big for us that work in the food industry...

At any rate, knowing how overall negative I am... @Diana Never take anything I say as a shot. I may be a negative prick, but I think you're doing a fine job. Not that I think you need my approval, but I feel the pat on the back occasionally is still a nice pick-me-up to get once in a while. Community management sucks, I'd have been bald and fat by now in your shoes. Well...Balder and fatter...

I‘ll miss the tabs but if it means things will be simple one more awesome :D I second the liking of the old tagging system. Clicking buttons is just easier then trying to figure out what tags apply to your thread and if they're available for use on Iwaku. And it doesn't help that some tags won't appear without an additional tag (i.e content rating: ...). That, and it was nifty how they were displayed under the title in the index view.

At any rate, knowing how overall negative I am... @Diana Never take anything I say as I shot. I may be a negative prick, but I think you're doing a fine job. Not that I think you need my approval, but I feel the pat on the back occasionally is still a nice pick-me-up to get once in a while. Community management sucks, I'd have been bald and fat by now in your shoes. Well...Balder and fatter...

It is okay little squee. 8D I LIKE PICK UPS! Pick me ups. Pick ups are good too though. O_O

• Love
Just to be clear, this will only effect how threads work yes?

It is okay little squee. 8D I LIKE PICK UPS! Pick me ups. Pick ups are good too though. O_O
maxresdefault-68-5617b1b4c634d.jpg

Yes? It'll be back to viewing regular forum threads!
just making sure, I had a sudden paranoid thought that maybe it'd affect things like the character system

Just to be clear, this will only effect how threads work yes?
You know how you view General Discussion threads? We're going back to that for roleplay threads. IE: Last post is shown, most recently active threads go to the top rather than update bump spamming like you've got a horrid case of ADHD, et cetera.

Ah, the dreaded post by me that surely will entail some kind of dislike...
To be honest, I usually just yell at Diana over Skype like a horrendously old man waving his stick. Sometimes I do that over PM's if I'm being particularly long winded. You'll find you can cut through the worshiping that way to get your concerns addressed directly. Won't always get an answer you like, but you'll usually get one. So might want to try that in the future if you want to avoid getting the good ole' "you only belong here if you're one of us, one of us, one of us" diatribe.

• Thank You
To be honest, I usually just yell at Diana over Skype like a horrendously old man waving his stick. Sometimes I do that over PM's if I'm being particularly long winded. You'll find you can cut through the worshiping that way to get your concerns addressed directly. Won't always get an answer you like, but you'll usually get one. So might want to try that in the future if you want to avoid getting the good ole' "you only belong here if you're one of us, one of us, one of us" diatribe.
You mean I have to press my skype icon? Why must you make me do so much work!?

Status
Not open for further replies.