Unpopular Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
pednw.jpg

You guys need Sauron, just sauyin.

I highly doubt I need a energy stealing dinosaur/man hybrid.

Also, to expand on the anime thing.

Anime is a genre. It can have good shit son. Just don't pretend there isn't a ton of creepy pedophilia shit in it. Because there is an entire genre dedicated to it. Oh, sorry, fucking two of them. Oh, and as much as I love Japanese history and culture (fucking studied it so I could properly portray a Samurai, right down to learning the punishments of the Bafaku, which you can read some about here), they are one of the most xenophobic first world nations on Earth right now. It is very likely that if you moved there to pursue whatever weeaboo fantasies you might hold, you would probably be fucking beaten to death unless you were very rich.

In fact, if you're watching anime as a representation of Japanese culture--aside from some Japanese storytelling motifs--I hate to break it to you, but, uh... Nobody fucking acts like that. Nobody. :ferret:

So, you know, there it is. Enjoy your cheap ass cartoons. I mean, I enjoy them. I also enjoy seeing a bunch of adults role play in funny, typically unflattering costumes playing space UN for several seasons. Some of which involves the most ridiculously nerdy, nonsensical shit you will ever hear on television. Ever. Typically by a guy who only ever plays as one character in every single thing he does. (PS: It's Brent Spiner.)

So, you know, yeah, I'm judging some of the weird, stupid fucking shit weeaboos keep trying to tell me is "kawaii as fuck" or whatever that's supposed to mean. I do, in fact, find it unsettling and weird when people argue over whose waifu is the sexiest when at least half the candidates are patently, blatantly drawn to look like they're fucking twelve years old. No, I would never recommend anime to any of my friends or family, save for Studio Ghibli, because they're kawaii as fuck. They're like Japanese Disney. Except when they decide to torture you with one of the saddest movies ever made, presumably so they can power their kawaii reactors for the next several generations.

There. Unpopular Opinion Puffin: The Thread can enjoy my not too unpopular semi-opinion "too fucking long to be a puffin" ferret rambling. :ferret:

EDIT

Basically, it's a fucking cartoon. Get some perspective and do more with your life than worship the coat tails of a culture who fucking hates you.

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: Hana
They're like Japanese Disney.
THis comment is actually true, considering that's literally how the modern anime art style as we know it got started.

By Disney and Betty Boop being imported into Japan, and the Japanese falling in love with the art style, and-

Why the FUCK do I know this? Why?

Reactions: Brovo
THis comment is actually true, considering that's literally how the modern anime art style as we know it got started.

By Disney and Betty Boop being imported into Japan, and the Japanese falling in love with the art style, and-

Why the FUCK do I know this? Why?

So you can lord over whatever jackass tries to tell you that Japanime is superior to Western cartoons by shoving their rodent overlord in their face.

Just tell them they activated your trap card. They'll appreciate it, or self destruct by getting into a one-way argument about "beginner anime" and other shit nobody cares about that's subjective as fuuuuck.

• Useful
Reactions: Minerva
I like enough anime that I will openly list anime as an interest of mine.

But by no extent of the imagination do I see all anime as good.
Like Brovo highlighted there a lot of shit out there... Paedophilia like disturbing shit.

Though I would still suggest anime to friends and family, but specific anime's that I already know are good. I wouldn't simply go "Go watch anime!" in general.
That's like saying "Go play games!" or "Go watch TV!". Great, you picked a very big and vague genre... care to be more specific?

+Waifu wars don't disturb me... Assuming stuff like Loli's are absent. If all the waifu's involved are character clearly meant to be 16+ (or 14+ if the people arguing waifu's are themselves in their early teen years) then go nuts.
Just keep Loli's out of it for everyone's sanity ok?
Alot of people on the internet apply schoolyard bully tactics and pat eachother on the back for it. It really is quite pathetic.
Considering what people consider schoolyard tactics varies a ton depending on what they experienced at their own schools I'm curious as to what you're referring to when you say schoolyard tactics.

As someone who has experience living in Japan... must not fall... to correcting... Brovo's...

Mmmmm... phew. Success. Each to their own. I gotta salute you though, you know just the right words to start a flame war, lots of easy baits out there, try Youtube. :P

What Silver Paladin said is very true. Betty Boop and Disney.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Minerva
As someone who has experience living in Japan... must not fall... to correcting... Brovo's...

Mmmmm... phew. Success. Each to their own. I gotta salute you though, you know just the right words to start a flame war, lots of easy baits out there, try Youtube. :P

Here's a popular opinion to break the thread's continuity as a friendly suggestion; instead of being passive-aggressive about someone's (non-aggressive) post and the potential misinformation in it, why not voice yourself and let them know what you think was wrong in their claims? I can guarantee you Brovo isn't one to ignore you if you calmly point out mistakes.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Here's a popular opinion to break the thread's continuity as a friendly suggestion; instead of being passive-aggressive about someone's (non-aggressive) post and the potential misinformation in it, why not voice yourself and let them know what you think was wrong in their claims? I can guarantee you Brovo isn't one to ignore you if you calmly point out mistakes.
I don't want to start a debate. If I do, I'd send him a PM in private.

Aaand the concept of passive-aggressive came to my mind after you said it actually. In no way I was trying to be passive aggressive. Hmmm... If only the Internet has body language and voice tone, sigh.

But I do understand your point, thank you, Asura. :)

It's fine, no need to start a fight. Criticism of my points is fair. Wrangling back on topic.

An Actually Unpopular Opinion for Iwaku: Role players are not writers until they've gone to the effort of creating an entire novel, compiling it, and releasing it. Then at that point, they can call themselves a writer. If you manage to compile one that actually sells decently after it's been written by you and several other players each acting as a character, you can colour me impressed.

Until then, you're not a writer for role playing. Sorry. :ferret:

-Capitalism is outdated, and the incessant need to preserve it will bring about more suffering for mankind. A new economic system is going to have to be put in place, and that system will have to acknowledge that most of humanity is going to be obsolete in the workplace within most of our lifetimes. This leads to-
-Robots aren't going to kill us all. They may take our jobs, and this is going to cause major problems for society, but outright killing us probably won't be within their capabilities or even their interests. Even when we develop an artificial general intelligence capable of finding a moral justification (or even a sufficient excuse!) to kill, humanity will be genre savvy enough to make sure it doesn't think it's a good idea. It's also going to happen soon. Within our lifetimes soon.
-We need to cut back on having kids. Like, quickly. We're very rapidly approaching the carrying capacity of the planet (again, within the lifetimes of many of us), and reaching that milestone would introduce far greater problems than the challenges of caring for a large elderly population would present.
-I used to dislike children intensely before I had a job that involved interacting with them on a daily basis. Now they're just adults-in-training, and some are even pretty cool. Still not gonna have any.
-A lot of what we consider inborn traits (including sexual orientation!) are far more products of our environment and even our personal choices than genetics. This doesn't diminish the importance or beauty of those traits, however.
-As hard as it is to believe, you are a special, unique snowflake. A snowflake in a massive fucking blizzard.

-You have an absolute right to free speech and nobody who operates in the public sphere has the right to deny you anything just because of what you say or believe. You don't have a right to use that speech to harm or encourage harm on other people, however.

Now for some less heavy topics:

-Video gaming, especially the industry that sprung up around the hobby, was better back in the day; not only were the games much better, but a lot of the bullshit that's normal in the industry today was considered inconceivable even a decade ago.
-If you're scared that some new doohickey or thingamabob is going to make life less fulfilling or make it harder to connect with other people, or some other touchy-feely garbage, you probably should put on your depends and check into the nearest assisted living facility right now.
-Conversely, if you think all the information companies collect about you can't be used by less trustworthy people to harm you in some way, then I am an exiled Nigerian prince that has an urgent offer to make you to the tune of $36,000,000 million dollars.

Rape is not always about power. Any number of factors besides a desire to control can go into someone deciding to commit the crime.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
A couple of other things that came to mind:

Religious schools shouldn't be allowed to operate. By throwing a religious, creationist light on the shit they teach and refuse to teach, they're fucking up young people in their most malleable state.

Sex ed should be mandatory, no fucking objections. Every school should have a comprehensible sex ed class, to teach them youngins how to do the do and not get fucked over in the process. They also need to discuss menstruation and contraception, and boys should be included in this.

Sex ed should also include LGBT stuff, like sexual orientations, gender, and gender identity. This should be introduced from a young age to avoid ignorance and hate crimes in later years, and to give LGBT kids a safer environment to grow up in.

P.E shouldn't be mandatory. Some people aren't athletic or even interested. This also goes for art class. Let the interested do their thing, don't drag the uninterested along.

I always sound so pissed off when I write these. Goddamn.

People who say P.E shouldn't be mandatory have no idea of the importance of phyisical activity at a early age.

Which is none. You're bound to be physically active when you're young, no need for someone to tell you how and when.

People who say P.E shouldn't be mandatory have no idea of the importance of phyisical activity at a early age.
It is important, that's true. But there are better ways of going through with it, rather than force kids through unpleasant situations with the overhanging threat of failing a class because, for example, they can't run a mile in x amount of time.

Maybe I'm biased, never had any kind of positive experience with P.E. Letting kids do the kind of sport they like, in their free time or during a few free hours in school, would be way better.

Status
Not open for further replies.