Unpopular Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
All these similar 'unpopular opinions' made me realize that they're in fact, not unpopular at all... humans sure are strange.
Depends on what your criteria for 'unpopular' is. Unpopular doesn't mean that nobody shares an opinion, it means that it's simply not a popular one. Popular has vague definitions that talk about appealing to "people in general" or "the common people" or "the people as a whole" or "the general masses of people." The common thread there is that it indicates many people in agreement, perhaps a majority. Would 12 out of 32 people (I went and counted) saying society is oversensitive and/or that political correctness is bad count as "the people in general" agreeing with that sentiment? I would say no, but it's a subjective thing.

Also, I can't speak for others, but I was going with things that were unpopular in my country rather than on Iwaku. It comes as no surprise that some people on this rather liberal leaning website full of people from around the world who roleplay as a hobby would have some opinions that are more popular amongst this population than that of a given country. There's also a lot of subjectivity going on from the opinion sharer's perspective too, both in deciding what group you're looking at and comparing your opinions to to decide if it's unpopular or not and in actually seeing and interpreting the general shared opinions of that group.

It's not a matter of these somewhat shared opinions being not unpopular at all, it's a matter of you perceiving them as popular due to your interpretation of the responses to this thread. :P

Cats are stupid.
Boy, we 'bout to get a fight on our hands.

As for the question, what's the point of guinea pigs? I mean, yeah, they're cute alright. But in the broad spectrum of things, all those little fuckers can do is shiver when I'm petting them. Rabbits too. I just want the love, damn it.

I feel like this depends a lot on how you define "discipline".

Because it's still possible to punish a child without physically hurting them. A child can "learn lessons" that they need to learn without physical punishment being involved. I think most people would still agree that parents should still discipline their kids, just not by hitting them.

Er, not that I'm trying to start a debate or nothin' -- just thought I'd shed a little light on that subject.

There's always room for the Correctional Oar in every household. Give your out of line child a paddling they'll never forget and hang it over the mantle to remind them of their impending mortality!

So next time Lil'Timmy gives you lip about not giving him what he wants (chocolate, Trix, a toy, toilet paper, soap, the keys to his leg cuffs, other childhood essentials), gently remind him that the Correctional Oar is watching... and judging. He will grow up to be a model citizen who will also be giving back to society by the way of therapy bills.

Added bonus: put a hated cartoon character on the Correctional Oar and Lil'Timmy will soon begin to fear and hate that character, making your Saturday mornings blissfully free of the emotional distraught that comes along when you hear that damnable theme song for the 500th time.

I was spanked as a kid and I turned out alright... I think... My parents still practiced stern talkings-to but for when that didn't work they had the belt waiting.

That being said, my own unpopular opinion? Multiculturalism is a load of bullshit that instead hurts the nation-state rather than helps in a lot of cases.

Reactions: Windsong
While Cecil's death is sad, it isn't something that should be made a bigger deal than the race issues we have.

- Taylor Swift's music is painfully immature and she needs to grow the fuck up.
- Summer sucks. The heat is uncomfortable and if it could be like 68 degrees Fahrenheit all the time that'd be pretty awesome.
- (I agree) parents coddle their kids too much and many people are raising a bunch of self-entitled and overly sensitive brats.
- Political correctness is a flawed concept that people take too far.
- Superman is terrible and is one of the worst comic book characters ever created.
- The Big Bang Theory is one of the worst shows on television.
- The ending to Mass Effect 3 isn't really THAT bad. In the same vein, I really liked Dragon Age II.
- Ariel from The Little Mermaid is the most annoying Disney princess ever (Aurora from Sleeping Beauty is the most useless).
- Frozen is immensely overrated. Tangled is a more entertaining film.
- Religion is an excuse for people to believe illogical things and encourages people to justify their shitty lack of personal morality.

I'm sure I have way more. But you know, there's only so much negativity I can shove into one post.

Funny story actually. I was talking with my mother in the kitchen when I was super young and for some reason I put my hand on the stove (I thought it was turned off) So I'm like "OWWWWWWW!!!!!!' And my mom was like "Well what did you expect to happen when you put your hand on a hot stove? XD" (The XD was her laughing a bit)
I get the whole thing with different parenting styles.

If a Parent decides "You know, my child will best learn not to get burned from the stove, if they get burned" I can understand the reasoning.
I personally don't agree with it in this case, but I understand it.

But I was simply saying that such a stove incident is one (of very few) situations where swatting/hitting a child might be acceptable in my personal opinion.
I do agree that anyone trying to shove one overall superior parenting style is not only hurting people, but is being completely ignorant to parenting as a whole and to how bad a "One size fits all" style can be.
But there are specific tactics where I will put my foot down and say should never be used in child raising, physical punishment for the intention of pain being one of them.
I view it with the same logic I would view someone going "I molest my child to discipline them".

No, I'm sorry hypothetical parent. Mentally damaging and harming your child is not good parenting and they do not learn or gain Jack shit from it.
:3 That's what I find fascinating about threads like these.

Because you start out with a lot of people that are giving opinions that would probably considered "unpopular" in society at large (for example, "religion is bad", "society is too sensitive", "parents should hit their kids more", etc), but the fact that there are so many people in agreement shows that the opinions really aren't so unpopular within the Iwaku community (or at least the GC crowd).

So then, because of that, you have people posting opinions that are opposite of all these commonly shared "unpopular" ones ("religion is good", "society is not too sensitive", "parents should not hit their kids"), because reading all the opinions on this thread makes it seem like people who disagree with all these shared stances are then in the minority, even though said opinions would usually be considered to be in the majority in society at large, even though they're clearly the minority in this particular crowd.

So then you can have two opinions that are the exact opposite of each other that are both considered "unpopular", albeit in different ways.

Not to mention, it allows you to say something against commonly-repeating opinions that you disagree with, without calling out any one specific person and starting a debate regarding their specific stance on it and how they worded it. So, you then have a way for everyone to share their opinion and even go into great detail about why they feel the way they do without actually starting any debates, even on heated topics.

And I just think that's fascinating to watch. :D
Eh... Remember Iwaku =/= The General Public.

You've already trimmed down the herd here, so there are going to be some usually unpopular opinions that are going to be more popular on Iwaku.
Especially since this is an Internet community, which are well known for harboring people who are essentially rejected or misunderstood by the outside world.

So some of these 'unpopular' opinions are unpopular in real life, but not here.
But like you said, as a result people will see this unpopular opinion, see it as popular and then treat their own opinion as unpopular.

+Let's remember the whole concept of 'unpopular' or 'popular' is subjective to begin with.
++Let's remember that it's easier to notice people disagreeing than agreeing. Both because people recall negative experiences better, and if someone agree's they'll generally just nod and move on... someone who disagrees though will often either start a debate, or go out their way to insult/degrade you for holding a different viewpoint.

Eh... Remember Iwaku =/= The General Public.

You've already trimmed down the herd here, so there are going to be some usually unpopular opinions that are going to be more popular on Iwaku.
Especially since this is an Internet community, which are well known for harboring people who are essentially rejected or misunderstood by the outside world.

But like you said, as a result people will see this unpopular opinion, see it as popular and then treat their own opinion as unpopular.

+Let's remember the whole concept of 'unpopular' or 'popular' is subjective to begin with.
++Let's remember that it's easier to notice people disagreeing than agreeing. Both because people recall negative experiences better, and if someone agree's they'll generally just nod and move on... someone who disagrees though will often either start a debate, or go out their way to insult/degrade you for holding a different viewpoint.

Yes... I'm aware of all that.

I was just saying I find it amusing to watch the way that things play out on threads like these for the reasons I already mentioned.

I think you're giving too much credit to the Internet community on this one. True, certain websites attract certain kinds of people, but that doesn't mean that generally ostracized people carry opinions that people who are more integrated into the mainstream don't. I think pretty much every person has SOME kind of opinion that could be deemed "unpopular." Generally speaking, "unpopular" could be considered a misnomer in this case, as I don't think any of these opinions are really unpopular, but more so opinions that just don't get heard as often as others, although they may actually be just as prevalent.

Agreement is to be had about agreeing versus disagreeing, though. One is less likely to remember someone agreeing with them that Frozen is a painfully mediocre movie than the one person who rants for ten minutes about how it's the greatest thing ever. You know, for example. Ahem.

Point is, I don't think anyone here is particularly unique in the sense that they have "unpopular" opinions. We're just sharing thoughts that probably a lot of people have whether they're Iwaku/random Internet people or not.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Izurich
  • Having a partner request thread and filling it with nothing but pairings is stupid.
  • religion is an okay method of a small mind trying to cope with a vast universe. But don't try to make it all fact.
  • Gamers are cancerous. I hate my hobby because of the other people in it.
  • Fandoms are cancerous too.
  • The Internet has done more for small niche groups to bond together than anything else. Now a special snowflake can group with more special snowflakes to become a special blizzard and blanket the normal folks who don't know how to dig.
  • There are people on Iwaku that think too highly of themselves. Not everyone finds it cute or endearing. It's rather obnoxious.
  • Societies that can't handle more immigrants need to start deporting with extreme prejudice. Strict penalties for repeat offenders.
  • Prisoners should work for the society they damage. Make them work. Not slave labor. Pay them. Cut them some money and put the rest into a fund for victims or public projects.
  • Your opinion is like your asshole. It smells like shit most of the time.
  • Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it should be eradicated. Only your ugly opinion.
  • Your chromosomes can't lie. Your brain is practically built to lie to itself.
  • I disagree with you.
Meh. I'm done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh this thing again? I remember this kind of thread on other forums I used to frequent.

- Half-Life 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Ocarina of Time are the most overrated games in existence. Like really, it's ridiculous when you can't even say "I don't like these" and some overly sensitive fanboy goes "YOU HAVE BAD TASTES IN THINGS :U"

- Your taste is different to mine in at least some aspect, so please don't tell me what I should like, and I won't do the same. You may recommend stuff to me though, it's fun 8D.

- Just because you don't like something, and find it shit, doesn't mean that someone who does like it is an idiot.

- Being overly sensitive is bad for personal growth.

- Earn respect, don't beg for it like a leper.

- Tell me you don't like me to my face pls.

- Music in general is pretty fantastic, I love music so much. Overly clean and overproduced nonsense is what's not good.

- PSVita is a much better handheld than the 3DS.

- Dragon's Dogma is heaps better than the majority of Elder Scrolls Games.

- My opinion is my opinion, please don't tell me I should change it. I also know it doesn't make me above anyone.

- Wrestling isn't fake. If it looks like it hurts, you bet it hurts.

Those are mine. Probably unpopular in the general public, and not so much here. Though I think the first one might be unpopular everywhere though lol.

Also, people have made a few things I agree on here, so I didn't include them. Sorry not sorry lol.

• Love
Reactions: Izurich and Brovo
- Half-Life 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Ocarina of Time are the most overrated games in existence. Like really, it's ridiculous when you can't even say "I don't like these" and some overly sensitive fanboy goes "YOU HAVE BAD TASTES IN THINGS :U"
Ocarina of Time
YOU HAVE BAD TASTES IN THINGS :U

Oh this thing again? I remember this kind of thread on other forums I used to frequent.

I wasn't super into Half-Life 2, and I've never even played Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Ocarina of Time. So my opinion on these things is either a big MEH or non-existent. Apparently, you're not a real gamer if you have never played any Zelda game ever (which I haven't), but I'd argue otherwise. So yeah, I completely feel you on this one.

Now, since I posted religious things a while back, here's some more stuff:

I didn't like: Bioshock Infinite, Final Fantasy VII, Shadow of the Collossus, and Diablo II. They're Good games, but they shouldn't be held as high as everyone holds them.

As much as I like it, the anime art style isn't really... New. It's basically just art influenced by Walt Disney and Betty Boop. Something Westerners are already familiar with. Hell, a lot of anime takes from the West. Just look at how German is used.

The UN is fucking useless, and I parody that in posts I make with them by showing them as a Powerful force that will collapse or be corrupted.

Referencing my first thing: Diablo III was actually kind of fun before RoS.

I had one more, but I forgot it.

Everyone who say "I don't think this should be held this high in regard" when it is generally accepted by fans and critics alike, are likely wrong. Except for Half Life 2. That game was just a techdemo.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Asuras
Hmmm. Some more.

-Harry Potter is completely overrated. Tired of hearing people talk about it, just like Supernatural.

-Kingdoms of Amalur and Dragon's Dogma are amazing games that deserve more attention and respect over other games like The Elder Scrolls and others. I love all three series, but Dragon's Dogma and Kingoms of Amalur are practically unheard of where I live and attend college. So this may just be unpopular to me.

-Dragon Age II may have over-used Maps, Hardly any Exploration, but it did help make major changes in the series that may not have been implemented in Inquisition. Such as the Qunari design change. I mean Sten was just a taller looking human, like wtf, until DA2 came and they changed the Qunari into what they are now. Magic looked like crap, spells didn't look aesthetically pleasing and DA2 fixed that. I loved DA:O combat and I love DA2 and DA:I combat, but some people have preferences of the combat they like. DA2 also had a decent story that lead up to DA:I. Bunch of other stuff.

-The Walking Dead is overrated and extremely boring. I can't get past season 3 because it is so off putting and stupid.

Won't go in on about Religion and Politics because meh. Not really unpopular opinions there.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Thank Ctulthu that all of the things said here are opinions and people are aware of that. Maybe kinda obvious to the thread's title but I still wanna say it, some of the opinions here rustled my jimmies, but I think that's what make Iwaku a wonderful community, I've seen a site where things go to hell in a thread like this... wait, it did even in Iwaku, but so far, I've only seen one such thread being locked due to the shitstorm.

Status
Not open for further replies.