Unpopular Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, remember some more:

- I agree with Jorick on the point of religion and want to expand it a little more: Any large groups with no clear guidelines and humane ethics need to disappear. Societies have laws that (mostly) applies to everyone, but groups that only protect their own interests/butthurt/victim-status/"higher moral ground" etc... Just die already, you've lived out your original purpose.
- Comedy shows and cartoons are boring and uninteresting, this include: Simpson, Family Guy, stuff like Full House (or whatever it's called), Everybody Loves Raymond, AFV, Naruto, Bleach etc. Why can't they just stop? The same shit stops being funny/interesting after top one year. Jokes wear thin.

Also a personal point of opinion when it comes to people:
- No matter how long you've known somebody, unless they shown all sides of themselves you don't know how they are at the depth of their heart.

Opinions you won't get out of me in everyday conversation? . . .

• Politically correct is annoying not helpful
  • People get too distracted by annoying side issues and forget to look at root causes
  • Society is overly sensitive and gets worked up by the wrong things
  • Religion gives strength and hope when peacefully followed (unpopular for this thread I guess)
  • Employers should NOT be allowed to look their employees/future employees up on social media
  • While we can't prove life begins at conception it's better to ere on the side of caution. No one should ever be told they don't deserve even the chance to exist.
  • What people do with/to art is just as much artistic expression as the original piece
  • If you hire a person for a job you should trust them to do a good job until proven otherwise
  • Parents should raise their children, not the village
  • It's okay to inform a parent their child is being disruptive, polity, Provided the parent/guardian has had a chance to take care of it first

Um . . . I think that's it at the moment. And yes I know some of those are hot topics, but this is a discussion ^_^

Those guys hunting Dracula were douchebags.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 person
It's possible for science and religion to co-exist.

• Love
Reactions: King
Creation vs Evolution is a stupid debate. Who the hell cares about the origins of life? It's not a big deal! We're here now, and that's that. It doesn't matter if we came from another planet, or just poofed into existence, we have REAL problems that have to be dealt with. Stop comparing dicks, and actually get to curing cancer. Yes, they may not be able to coincide with each other all the time, but please, stop fighting. Does being right really matter more than helping others? Seriously.

And yes, I am a theistic evolutionist.

This is an unpopular opinion in this thread so far, but:

Religion does not need to be eradicated! Yes, Christians have done some shitty ass things through time, but so have most religions. With Religion eradicated, yes, thought could grow, but you also have a huge chunk of history missing. What the hell would we do with the Sistine Chapel? What about with all the churches and synagogues and mosques?

Yes, I do agree that some aspects of religion need to be eradicated, but not that religion in itself should be. Sometimes, it can bring us together. I met my best friends at a Christian School. Yes, some Christians can be complete bigoted assholes, but look at the good Christianity has done. Sure, yes, the Inquisition, Crusades, Witch Hunts, and all that stuff Constantine did don't shine down on the Religion, but those are just several. In my opinion, the Bible is just the base, and God wants us to find all the answers to his Creation. I don't believe the Bible holds the answers to all of Life's questions.

- Doctor Who needs to die. It's not entertaining anymore, and hasn't been for quite some time.

- Stop being so politically correct. The real world doesn't care about your feelings. (Is this unpopular here? Not sure)

- Humans are pretty neat. Stop treating people as if they're a plague when they're not. We're just... very advanced nature.

- Spiders are misunderstood and actually really cool. Stop screaming.

Reactions: LunaValentine
The world isn't fucked and humanity will overcome the challenges that come our way like we always have, but the amount of people who cry doom are too damn high. Don't create a self-fulfilling prophecy because you willfully ignore all of the good to obsess over the bad.

People are overly concerned for conservation efforts when the endangered animal is cute as opposed to its importance to the ecosystem. The amount of animals that could be saved but won't because people are obsessed with things like pandas is absurd, all because people don't want to donate to protect something they think is ugly.

So much fucking this. [2][2][2][2][2][2][2]

• Thank You
Reactions: Dervish
Throw my hat in with the "Everyone is uber sensitive babies" crowd.

Children are gross messes that learn to get their shit together (hopefully) eventually. Mine isn't an exception, I just love him.

Collectively, we're not as great as we think we are. But we're also not as terrible as we think we are. Yeah.

We spend too much time on pampering ourselves and making "neat innovations" for crap that only serves to make us blind and feeble.

Everyone should learn some form of self defense. No exceptions. Have as many body guards, safety measures, and cops you want, but your last line of defense comes down to you and if you aren't willing to commit to that then you are asking for what's coming. (Not just rape, but theft, assault and all the other crap).

We should do away with firearms as a whole and go back to good ol' swords. I know that won't happen, but how else am I going to justify my weapon collection?

Anime sucks. Damn near all of it. Yes, that one too.

Feminism is not about equal rights. Egalitarianism is.

MMA for all it's tough guys and hard hitting action, has been watered down and the fighters are coddled. They should change the name to "Brazilian JuJitsu/Miletich system fighting" since they added so many rules that you only have those left. If you wanted to worry about the fighter's safety then WHY DID YOU MAKE A SPORT WHERE THEY BEAT EACH OTHER UP?

Women should have to sign up for the draft.

I think I saw this somewhere earlier, but men should be allowed equal rights for their child. Or be allowed to completely walk away like the mother can.

Police should be disarmed and only allowed weapons when a situation escalates to a greater degree. They can only be allowed to use firearms if they pass a certain level of training (i.e. learning to de-escalate/diffuse situations, learn how to cope and handle people with disabilities.). They should also be treated for regular anger management or stress.

As funny as it is to use them ironically, hashtags are fucking dumb and it's really stupid when people SPEAK them.

And that's all I got for now.

We spend too much time on pampering ourselves and making "neat innovations" for crap that only serves to make us blind and feeble. (1)

We should do away with firearms as a whole and go back to good ol' swords. I know that won't happen, but how else am I going to justify my weapon collection? (2)

MMA for all it's tough guys and hard hitting action, has been watered down and the fighters are coddled. They should change the name to "Brazilian JuJitsu/Miletich system fighting" since they added so many rules that you only have those left. If you wanted to worry about the fighter's safety then WHY DID YOU MAKE A SPORT WHERE THEY BEAT EACH OTHER UP? (3)

As funny as it is to use them ironically, hashtags are fucking dumb and it's really stupid when people SPEAK them. (4)
Just a few things I wanted to comment on/ add to, not necessarily refute (plus, that ain't the point of dis thread hur)!

1. A close cousin to this statement I want to throw into the hat is I think technology has made things so easy and distracting, people have become super lazy and unappreciative of how incredible everything around us is, and sometimes downright scornful of simple things that don't have 500 apps installed.

2. YOUR WEAPON COLLECTION AIN'T GONNA USURP MINE, OLD MAN OBSOLETE. I like my guns. Also, we can totally have bayonet fights and pretend they're spears. Win win? :D I actually have a bunch of knives and other bladed weapons I like to collect as well, including a few wall hangers. All instruments of death are beautiful, don't be form shamin'!

3. I was actually commenting at Wild Wing a couple nights ago that it seemed like the UFC was dying off hugely in popularity the last few years and they were started to get into gimmicky promo posters, like the recent one that looks like a comic book cover. Back when I heard about UFC was all the way back in 1996 (read; not 5 years a go like everyone else who latched onto it like a sea lamprey and it inexplicably exploded in popularity) and apparently that's not long after when they were starting to ban the crazy shit like eye gouging, which too my knowledge never happened but there weren't any rules forbidding against it, either. UFC used to be less something you and your frat buddies get drunk and watch and more something Tyler Durden has people do before handing them envelopes labeled Project Mayhem.

4. Absolutely agreed. I understand why hashtags exist, but I see them everywhere more ironically than not and nothing makes me want to disregard whatever somebody's posting than when their post is filled with so many hashtags that somebody was finger fucking the pound sign on their phone.

Nutella is disgusting.
Right? Every time I try it, I am super disappointed it tastes like bland, shitty nuts instead of chocolate. Peanut butter is superior in every way. I'm pretty sure Nutella's popularity is similar to why bacon is obsessed over by the internet, because everyone loves a good bandwagon and wants to feel included.

I have another one!

The rise of smart phones has completely changed socialization for the worse. Everyone's so preoccupied with what's happening on a little screen over the people who are literally standing or sitting around them that it looks like they couldn't give less of a fuck about whatever the conversation is. It's something pretty much everyone does (I'm guilty of it on occasion, I admit, but I am trying to get out of the habit) and it's very annoying trying to talk to somebody who's got their nose buried in their phone for the entire conversation. One of the best things I've ever read about how to fix this problem was if you're out for dinner, everyone tosses their phone in the center of the table and the first person to grab their phone before everyone's leaving has to pick up the entire table's tab. This is apparently an unpopular opinion because I still see dozens of people a day still doing it, but cell phones are a fucking nuisance because people still yack away on them while driving when study after study shows they're so distracting it's just as bad, if not worse, than drunk driving. Unless you absolutely, positively have to take that call, whatever socialite bullshit you have going on isn't worth dying for.

Reactions: Peter Feels
I haven't looked over all of this thread, but I'll list a few of mine:

- I don't care what god, set of gods, all gods, no gods, you believe in. As long as you are a decent human being, you can believe whatever you want!

- I don't usually say "bless you" when people sneeze. It's a bodily function that is (mostly) out of your control. Nobody blesses you when you burp or fart, so I never saw the purpose. I understand the historical context of it, I just feel like it's weird and makes no sense.

- I really like Ke$ha's music. Sorry, not sorry.

- Skinny is not attractive. Neither is being overweight, don't get me wrong, but there's a very beautiful range sitting between those two extremes that is absolutely wonderful.

Reactions: Shadon Xarian
Unpopular opinion puffin, the thread? Oh.
  • People who think that all kids are evil shits are over-exaggerating and people who think all kids are adorable angels are over-exaggerating. They're underdeveloped, mentally challenged persons who will go through an astounding level of growth in a comparatively short amount of time. That is all.
  • Anyone who continues to teach children that they're special and unique is mentally damaging those children.
  • If it's not scientifically verified, it shouldn't be taught in the public education system. Ever.
  • Political correctness should always be translated to its true state: Censorship of anything that offends the sensibilities of the moral elite.
  • We should nationalize the oil industry, medical care, utilities, and telecoms. These are not capitalist economies anymore, and pretending otherwise is just paying private taxes to the upper echelons who will never give it back.
  • Men's Rights Activists have more logic and reason on their side than Feminists do. By heaping, massive piles. Anyone who thinks otherwise and tries to shut down the MRA movement is just as bad as the Westboro Baptist Church and should be treated as such.
  • No entertainment media can "make" you violent or sexist. You make yourself violent or sexist. People who claim otherwise should be given therapeutic care, for there is obviously something wrong with them if they can't discern reality from fiction.
  • If you repeatedly show yourself to be a capricious, malevolent bully, you should be banned from Iwaku. Period.
  • Every single drug on Earth should be legal. Yes, even Cocaine and Heroin. People who want them will get them anyway, but we can at least kill the criminal aspect of the trade.
  • "Free Trade" only benefits major international corporations and should be abolished so that local economies can be protected via tariffs. People who believe otherwise have obviously never seen Greece, or the obliteration of local Canadian companies.
  • Any corporation that uses child labour or slave labour in any country should be severely punished in its host country. This is the only way we're going to stop the exploitation of children. Any country that refuses to do this should be suitably barred from international trade: If you won't uphold basic human rights, I don't care to buy your blood-stained products.
  • Modern feminists infantilize women and attempt to take away the consequences of their choices. They attempt to tell women who they should be, even if it goes entirely against their desires and will. They're hardcore sexists, through and through, and should be treated with the mockery and disdain they show toward others.
  • Iwaku should have a reading test, and the results of that test should be publicly available. If you can't understand what the fuck I'm writing, you are wasting my time, and I'm wasting yours. To be "nice", we can make it optional, but once done, it's public knowledge. Forever.
There you go. Not totally sure how to practically implement that last one, but, hey, you wanted unpopular opinions, right?

-The death penalty should be abolished. The act of killing someone for actions that have already occurred is self-destructive, short-sighted, and ridiculously primitive. We as human beings cannot, in good conscience, claim to hold ideals of compassion, forgiveness and love if we continue to kill for revenge. The death of any innocent due to these practices (and it happens) is a terrible tragedy and is not worth whatever the hell society is supposedly gaining by killing an incarcerated man or woman.

-Kids are stupid, but they're supposed to be stupid, so it's ok. While not necessary for everyone, raising and interacting with children is often both enlightening and entertaining.

-The world is in bad shape, but it, and the human race, is not inherently doomed.

-In my experience, most of the people who complain about society being "over-sensitive," about "SJW's," or about "the creeping doom that is Political Correctness, come to swallow our livelihoods whole" need to take a chill pill. Many of the aforementioned people are particularly oversensitive themselves, and need to think more on why people get offended about things and what that means for society as a whole. Basically, take a walk in another person's shoes.

-On a similar note, modern feminism is not a hate group, a waste of time and effort, or a sham. It's an interesting and useful school of thought that is too often demonized and dismissed without consideration. Radical feminism is a general mess, but the same could be said for the radical branches of literally any other school of thought.

-We're living in a golden age of music.

-Though organized religion has a long history of shit, it is not inherently harmful or idiotic.

-Fallout 3 is a profoundly stupid game.

• Love
Reactions: Xnijmai
Smart people at an online forum? What dimension is my internet connected to now? :D

As for my unpopular opinions... Most of them have already been said one way or another (the cat dislike has gone too far D:)

So my first unpopular opinion is that I think cats are the best animal out there. Genetically they are just so well built for nature that they deemed a bigger version of a cat the "King of the jungle" I grew up with a cat, I was 2 and he was 1. He taught me allot of things as a baby too (We use to troll my parents too. One thing we did had perfect synchronization and my parents were like "... Did my baby and my cat just communicate and work together to troll us?" And whenever my parents hid something out of reach, my cat taught me how to climb so NOTHING was out of reach to us >:D (Except the lock on the front door >.> That chain lock at the very top was the bane of my young existance. I wasn't gonna run away, I wasn't even gonna go out side that long, I just wanted to unlock it to be like "Ye-yeah! I beat you!!!!!! ^^"

I WAS gonna talk about kids a bit, but I guess its not unpopular that I hate them XD (FUNNY ENOUGH THOUGH, politically correct/SJW's are the people that prevented parents from punishing their kids, which in turn made kids into the EXACT kind of person that SJW's, and all of us HATE. That is one reason why SJW's are a poison to the world (More on that a bit later)

I WAS also gonna talk a bit about religion stuff/political correctness, but apparently it's not an unpopular opinion that both are toxic. Still though, i'm gonna say mah two cents on those because there's always more to learn about perspective.

So lets start with religious, and their apologist. (Yeah, the apologist too >.<) They like to say "Religion is not inherently evil D:" Or "The books are full of good, only people misinterpret them" Even know the words in the book are quite clearly evil. If my understand of the word "Inherently" is correct, then that's as inherent as it gets XD And when reading the religious books, I don't see how someone can mis-interpret the evil of it into something "good". Arguably the evil act is for a better future, but regardless of what the good future is, it is still an evil act that got us that future. (I use the term "Good" loosely as I don't quite think religious good future is "Good") Now i'm not necessarily against doing evil for the greater good, but when I don't think the greater good is actually good, then i'm gonna fight against it.

I'm the kind of guy that thinks that if you are gonna be a christian or Muslim, then you are going to BE a christian or Muslim. That means following what the book says (Which in turn, will make you evil, which is why most people cheery pick the fuck out of it, because they want to be good, but the book is conflicting with that... Which is really interesting to say out loud) And if you cheery pick, then sad to say, you're not truly the religion you think you are. Maybe if the books were more relax about things, then maybe you could cheery pick, buuuuuuuuuut they're not D: So yeah)

Political correctness (And THEIR apologist o.o) I didn't care about political correctness at first... You don't like being called a word? Alright, lets try not to call ya that. You don't like a certain reference in a movie? Sorry, thankfully its optional though, I got another movie if you want that I think you will LOVE :D :D :D. But when it gets to a point when colleges have safe rooms for grown adults to go in and take time to cool off after hearing something that slightly inconveniences them, bully an innocent person into depression/suicide for something he/she did not do? THEN I think a problem arises. Call me a barbarian, but when people get THAT soft, it's time to re-analyze our species as a whole. The problem with political correctness is how far it has gone. Mainly with how powerful they have become. They attack parts of media that they don't even use to try and be our white knight and bubble us from something that we don't need protection from in the first place and even if we do, it is good for us to power through it and become stronger ourselves.

But the MAIN problem with it is how inconsistent and petty it is (And toxic... GOD DAMN THE TOXIC LEVELS!!!!!!!!) They go for what FEELS right, not what IS right. In fact, they'll turn on people who they use to agree with because they disagree with ONE tiny thing said. Or they'll heavily disagree with something, but still like it if it means attacking someone else. (Hence, inconsistency) Which is why a world the political correct wants cannot happen, because they are toxic to them self, and others. They have no consistency meaning that nobody will 100% agree (Even with themselves over time) and that is what these people are after. And if they do 100% take over and things are somehow peaceful, it will be a boring world. I've been in the middle of these people's convo's and stuff just watching. They are miserable and bored out of their minds, even WHEN things are going their way, people are too afraid to speak a certain opinion because it will either maybe make them, or it will shatter them through bullying. So no matter what, these people loose in the end one way or another (I think so anyway, maybe something will change where consistency grows within. IF that happens, then i'll probably become that old man who's from an era where words like "nigger" isn't necessarily racist, but just how people talk. (Fun fact, allot of people from back then when they say racist things, they aren't being racist, its just how they were raised and stuff. Yeah the word is racist, but they don't mean it to be racist)

My unpopular opinions:

--A note; Some of these might cause reason for debate, as I see these are truly unpopular compared to the average population. If you have any issues and would like to discuss anything here, please PM me rather than create a debate here on this thread.

- The majority of the opinions posted on this thread (and any unpopular opinion thread for that matter) are very agreeable and common opinions held by the vast majority of people in 1st world nations. It may only seem like these are unpopular because of the way the poster preceves popular opinion. It's also worth noting that many of the people who frequent this site are not only from the same generation, but also possess similar interests to find themselves here, so most opinions will be generally agreed upon in this thread, (Ctrl+F: Political Correctness on this thread and try telling me I'm wrong.)

- Indi music is essentially low-effort musicians trying to sell generic music off as "artistic" and "different."

- If we don't act on the effects of our industrialization and population increases, nature will find a way to deal with the problem of Humanity the same way it deals with every other over-abundant species.

-Humans are no better than any other animal just because we can pick up tools and contemplate the fact that we just picked up a tool.

-Population control should be a very serious consideration by the world's leaders if we are to survive for another millennia. The value of individual lives should mean nothing to the the health of our species and planet.

-The purpose of life is simply; "Make more life." We are no better than a parasite, we breed and die, there is no such thing as fate, as destiny, and religion.

-I firmly believe that homosexuality is a mental condition, one that I have no issue with whatsoever, but it is not genetic in any way at all.

-Eggs are fucking gross.

-Religion was created to answer the questions early people had about the world around them and is no different than any scientific hypothesis. In all reality, we are just guessing and we will likely never know if we are right about the universe or not.

-I really really hope there is no afterlife, I just want to rest when I'm dead, not live some more. Life sucks.

-The mentally ill and elderly should not be given extensive resources to stay alive, evolution works by killing off the weak. By keeping the weak alive, our society is effectively screwing up the future of our species.

-Women should be allowed in combat units, but they need to be introduced slowly. Suddenly putting women in infantry roles is a recipe for disaster (and no, not for the reason you may be thinking.)

-Racial issues should stop getting media coverage, it's only making things worse by having lines drawn between us by the color of our skin and having people give bullshit reasoning that it's the individual's fault something happened, it was race.

-Criminals of any kind deserve no pity or mercy, the court system needs to be streamlined to reflect this.

-Professional sports is the biggest waste of money I can possibly think of.

-Bacon is ridiculously over-rated.

-Welfare and any other support given to those in poverty is a waste of money. We either need to equal all peoples in a society or let the strong rise over the weak, giving out freebees will only make things worse.

-There are two genders for us, Male and Female, you are born as one and no matter what you may think or do to your body, you are still that gender.

-Frozen wasn't that great.

-People who live in cities are many times more ignorant about the world around them than rural peoples.

-There is nothing wrong about possessing fire-arms or hunting so long as it's done sustainably and with respect for the prey you hunt.

-Weed is a dangerous drug with unknown effects on the body.

I'm sure I have more, but I'm content with my potential hate-mail at this point.

- Tea is gross. (Unless it's chilled and full of sugar.)
- People shouldn't wear make-up unless it's for a costume, performance, or monster movie or something.
- Parents don't hit punish their kids enough these days.
- I believe leggings should be worn as leggings, not as a replacement for pants.
- Our elementary, middle, and high schools should require their students to wear uniforms.
- Game of Thrones is not a good show.
- Recycling needs to be more widespread. By doing this, I believe the pros will largely outweigh the cons.
- Food that customers don't finish or take home should be composted, not thrown in the garbage. As well, businesses with perfectly good leftover food that's not going to get served should give it to the hungry instead of throwing it away.
- The death penalty is necessary.
- People smile too much for no good reason.

• Love
Reactions: Peter Feels
Hmm, the ones I've faced ire for... Oh, wait, most of my opinions only face ire from my family and they can hardly count unless people get more backwards. Now, those rejected by the general public and people who find me off for feeling this way...

- Blood relations are not the most important bonds in the world
- Being threatened by a sibling while arguing with them is NOT okay and it's not "sibling love"
- I don't want to reproduce (oh, how many that believe I'll change my mind just because I have an uterus)
- Kids are tiny monsters controlled by their emotions most of the time, only decent as entertainment on a distance (I've been one, I know)
- Final Fantasy X-2 is a good game (screw you, you FF elitists!)
- Furries is not a collective group who rape animals and do sex stuff all the time (we're just more prone to being honest about being pervs)
I FUCKING LOVE FINAL FANTASY X-2!! :D

Reactions: dragonesper
Racism, sexism, etc is still alive and well and probably will never go away until all ignorant people are eradicated.

People are too damn sensitive these days.

Games like The Last Of Us don't deserve the critical reception they get. Games today are becoming too cinematic and don't focus enough on gameplay. What's the point of getting emotionally invested in a game if the gameplay is utter shit?

Instead of blaming the media, parents need to blame themselves for their kids' dumbass behavior.

I don't plan on having kids. Ever.

Final Fantasy X-2 is an amazing game. Screw the FF fanboys!

Horror games are absolute shit these days. Good thing FNAF is a breath of fresh air.

Disney still knows how to make magical movies. No Frozen isn't overrated. Wanna see an overrated Disney film? Watch The Lion King.

Child molesters/pedophiles/rapists don't get enough time in jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.