1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Horror, Dark Fantasy, Modern
What are some movies that the general population likes or holds with high regard but you yourself personally don't care for, for whatever reason? Or maybe there's a film you like that most people don't?

Ready Player One bored the absolute fuck out of me (nearly slept about halfway through the film) so imagine my surprise when it turned out most people actually really enjoyed the film. I couldn't wrap my head around it.

Last edited:
I'm going the other direction with mine. I'm personally annoyed anytime someone gives shade on the Golden Compass movie, because it's the most faithful adaptation of a book ever put to screen. It is line for line the book. The pacing is the same, character appearances are all spot on (though I wouldn't have imagined Sam Elliot) and every single line of dialog is ripped straight from the book. Yet everyone says it doesn't have the strong religious commentary of the original, or that they could have gone further with it than the book. Well 1, going further wouldn't be as faithful, and 2 those that say the religious commentary was taken out fail to remember that Golden Compass was part one of a trilogy, and the religious commentary actually doesn't come in until Subtle Knife and Amber Spyglass.

I'm just pissed that a perfect adaptation that's more faithful than the Harry Potter movies receives no love.

The Resident Evil films are actually hilariously good fun if you stop bring a rabid fucking stan fanboi and embrace the fact that you're watching a well produced, brilliantly choreographed stupid action movie series.

Underworld franchise (nah, I didn't like 'em enough to watch every film in the franchise, but still) and Van Helsing I thought were pretty okay. Pretty fun popcorn-y flicks, and Kate Beckinsale is uniquely great for that genre.

edit: wait no I'm just kidding at the end of Van Helsing there's a scene where the face of Kate's deceased character forms in the heavens and looks down on our protagonist; movie is now irredeemable garbage

A lot of people hate on the movie adaptations of games, but I don't know, I like a few that are hardly mentioned. Resident Evil: Degeneration and Vendetta hold a special place in my Leon Kennedy fangirl heart. Degeneration is mainly Leon being 100% done with the mission he's on and Vendetta is him being awesome while also being so sloshed he can't stand straight. I've always liked the kind of hero that quietly rebels against saving the world but does it anyway. Also Vendetta has a really cool and creepy zombie intro with Chris. Thinking about it gives me chills.

Meanwhile, I didn't care for Saturday Night Live, Dumb and Dumber, Cars, Spider-Man(sorry Raimi), Easy Rider, Transformers, Star Wars Prequels, and probably some other popular things.

I also wasn't thrilled with Avatar due to the generic plot. It's a gorgeous movie, and I understand why people like it, and it's done a lot in popularizing motion capture, but...I wanted the plot to surprise me and it never did. Hopefully the second one does better with mixing things up. There was also an incident with an artist I like where the fanbase sort of harassed them and said they were "copying" the movie even though bioluminescence in art has been a thing since waaay before the movie. It caused them to stop posting things for a long time. There's bad eggs in every fandom. Unfortunately.

Reactions: OnI6470
Most Marvel movies are G A R B O

I hate Thor:Ragnarok so damn much, and I actually love the first two Thor movies.

I don't think the Guardians of the Galaxy movies deserve anywhere near the amount of hype they get. They're decent, sure, but they're nowhere near the best Marvel movies.

I loved the first Underworld movie and was stunned when I discovered it's commonly disliked.

oh yeah and I love the entire Matrix trilogy wholeheartedly

• Love
Reactions: Kuno
Star Wars o.o

Most of the marvel movies I watched (which aren't many)

Wonderwoman. I liked it ngl, but it was overhyped imho.

Movies I like that were looked at as "Meh" would include Strange Magic and apparently the Netflix version of White Fang. I'm not a big movie watcher as is.

Reactions: Kitti
Field of Dreams. This movie's older, but I'm bringing it up because many of my friends hold it in such high regard, and I finally saw it like last year thanks to their pestering. That movie's supposed to be super deep and feelsy, but I could not stop laughing watching the movie. It was utterly ridiculous.

Thor Ragnarok was BULLSHIT. They turned mah boy Thor and his struggles into a comedy reel. Only thing I liked about that movie is that they finally made it clear that Thor can whup plenty of ass without his hammer, but other than that? Hate that movie.

On the flip side, I really enjoyed Star Wars: The Last Jedi, but a lot of people hate it for some reason??? And I'm just like??? y tho

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button felt really unfulfilled to me. The concept was interesting and I liked the first half a good deal but I feel like the second half or so of the movie was much less compelling and just didn't finish strong.

I don't hear American Hustle talked about hardly at all ever and I personally feel like it deserved more love than Wolf of Wall Street, which got a lot of noise.

Thor Ragnarok was BULLSHIT. They turned mah boy Thor and his struggles into a comedy reel. Only thing I liked about that movie is that they finally made it clear that Thor can whup plenty of ass without his hammer, but other than that? Hate that movie.
Somebody who gets it yes thank you

• Haha
Gravity was lame. It wasn't entertaining at all, and Interstellar was far superior.

Speed Racer was awesome.

After a rewatch, I have decided that Infinity War was 'eh' at best. Marvel movies, as a whole, aren't all that great.

:cookie: enjoy this cookie I love you all

On the flip side, I really enjoyed Star Wars: The Last Jedi, but a lot of people hate it for some reason??? And I'm just like??? y tho

Went on a rant here,
1/10 Would not watch again.

Otherwise:
I don't get the hype for Black Panther, I really thought it was mediocre, and with a very....weird message.
I honestly think the Raimi Spiderman trilogy was the worst. I really don't like Tobey.Garfield's run as Spiderman was better, and MCU Spiderman is nailing it.
I keep watching a movie called, "Never Back Down". Not a big movie, and generally panned as a Karate Kid knockoff, but I like it.
The Hobbit trilogy was shit.

This one is sure to rustle some feathers:
I cannot stand Will Ferrel's brand of comedy. The only movie I have seen him in and liked, was Stranger than Fiction.

Everything I have heard having Sasha Baron Cohen's name attached just feels repulsive.

I tried watching Super Troopers. Once. I don't think I lasted 20 minutes.

Seeing a lot of hate for Thor Ragnarok here. I liked the first two movies, though did find the villain in the second one pretty weak. My favorite of them is actually the first, though I don't think Ragnarok was god awful.

There was good development with Loki and the backstory and power of the villain was a step up. The only thing I agree with as far as the criticism goes is the comedy. I liked the jokes, but there was too many of them. I actually pay attention to the struggles and characters in those movies and seeing it derailed for the sake of a few laughs was pretty distracting. Not worthy of hating the movie, just makes a very noticeable chink in the armor.

I'm still pissed off that Disney took a shit on the Star Wars EU and declared it non-canon.

Rey is whatever. Snoke is basically Space Gollum from Lord of the Rings.

When I first heard that Episode 7 was coming, I was SO SURE we would finally get to see Mara Jade on screen, only to be let down. Episode 7 was entertaining to watch, but 8 just felt bad. The plot floundered and it was poorly paced. I don't feel much emotional connection to any of those characters.

Reactions: Dipper and Shiri
Same. Maybe I should try Stranger Than Fiction.

It's been a while since I saw it...like a decade...apparently.

What I remember, was it was a decent movie, not my favorite, but definitely watchable.

I'm still pissed off that Disney took a shit on the Star Wars EU and declared it non-canon.

Rey is whatever. Snoke is basically Space Gollum from Lord of the Rings.

When I first heard that Episode 7 was coming, I was SO SURE we would finally get to see Mara Jade on screen, only to be let down. Episode 7 was entertaining to watch, but 8 just felt bad. The plot floundered and it was poorly paced. I don't feel much emotional connection to any of those characters.

This, x10. The EU was far superior to the trash they've come out with now.

:cookie:

I cannot stand Will Ferrel's brand of comedy. The only movie I have seen him in and liked, was Stranger than Fiction.

Everything I have heard having Sasha Baron Cohen's name attached just feels repulsive.
The Will Ferrel thing is how I feel about Seth Rogen. He seems like a good director and writer, but every time he's in one of his movies he's the worst part of it. An immediate example that comes to mind is when I went to see the Green Hornet. The villain was intimidating yet funny, Kato was fucking awesome, Dias was fine (she didn't do anything bad, just didn't stand out for me), and even the plot about the mob using their influence to suppress news about their misdeeds is pretty interesting. But Seth Rogen as Britt Reed was 100% intolerable. He was an asshole, an idiot, and just thoroughly unlikeable. Everything else about the movie was excellent, but it all becomes a little paler when orbiting a dim star.

Sasha Baron Cohen plays King Julian in Madagascar. At least as the silly king there he's funny. I think he's also the Clock King in that second Alice in Wonderland movie, and from what I've heard he's the best thing in that film. But otherwise I agree. However, you should watch the Wisecrack video on him. It goes into how he plays the clown around many of these more dignified people to get them to reveal just how ugly inside they really are. The message is brilliant. I just wish he was funny.

Deadpool was overhyped and is not a movie I could see more than once. ( And that wasn't in the movies that I saw)