Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GuanYue

Original poster
Hello & Welcome!
Hello there, my name is Dao Ma! I am currently looking for rp partners for one x one or maybe small groups. I've got a few ideas, but they're rather vague. I am open and willing to work out plots with people and try things that may not be on my lists below. Fair warning, a lot of my interests are not fanbased nor are they with real pictures (though, again, I may be open to trying them).

#242424 More About Dao Ma!
• 26 years old
• College graduate in Asian Studies (mostly on Chinese and Japanese history/art history)
• Has been rping for several years, though recently came back from long hiatus
• Likes to chat with rp partners
• Works often (Monday-Friday 9am-7pm PST)

• I do any combination of pairings (mxf, mxm, fxf, etc)
• I generally play males between the ages of 20 and 40, but am open to playing other genders/ages
• I may mirror match my partner's post length
• I write in third person
• I prefer anime/drawn/semi-realistic style pictures for characters, but willing to possibly use real pic

[warning=#242424]Dao Ma's Partner Requirements!
• Please understand I work a lot during the week, and so my posts may be slow
• Keep in contact, whether it be through PM or discord, what have you
• Be able to plot and discuss with me, or let me know whenever you want to stop
• Be able to discuss with me what you do and don't want to rp, or what are some ideas you want to play
• Don't just fade from existence; I want to make friends too :c
[/warning]

Themes & Genres
These are themes and genres I like to play the most and/or are craving. The ones I am craving the most will be bolded. The ones that I am currently playing and no longer want to play will be crossed out

Urban FantasyCyberpunkDystopianDark FantasyHigh FantasyMagitechFairytales
FolkloreFeudal EraWuxia / XianxiaRomanceActionPsychologicalModern
Super powersHistorical FictionSupernatural RealismSlice of LifeRebellionWarCrime Drama

Pairings
These are just some pairing ideas that I have. They don't have any plots connected to them, and so may be adapted and perceived in many ways. Feel free to ask me about them and/or come up with some combos of your own! The roles which I would like to play will be bolded. Pairs that I am currently doing and do not want any more of will be crossed out. Sorry that they're a little all over the place. x nx

Secret Agent x Ragtag Spy Target x Bodyguard Sponsor x Underground Fighter CEO x Common Person
Mafia x Mafia Priest x Demon Human x Supernatural Psychic x Supernatural
Royal x Royal Royal x Commoner Knight x Commoner Knight x Royal
Ranger x Supernatural Oracle x Warrior Detective x Criminal Scientist x Supernatural

Plots & Concepts
When I have ideas for plots and concepts that I want to rp, they'll go here. Bolded titles will be the ones I really want to do and crossed out titles will be ones I'm already doing and don't want to do any more of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dao Ma's Currents!
So just because, and maybe it'll help give some inspiration/motivation, I'll be throwing down my currents. In other words, what I'm currently reading, watching, playing, etc. Maybe it'll help build some common ground and spark ideas. o uo

[fieldbox="Reading, #242424, solid, 10"]• Secrets of the Samurai
• Blades of the Guardian (manhua)
• My Cold-Blooded King (webtoon)
• My Boo (webtoon)[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Watching, #242424, solid, 10"]• Last Kingdom
• Ripper Street
• Gundam Wing (yes, the original)[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Playing, #242424, solid, 10"]• Yakuza 0
• Black Desert Online[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Roleplaying, #242424, solid, 10"]• For Honor || Feudal Era - Fantasy - Samurai - Demons
The Monarch || Supernatural - Urban Fantasy - Action[/fieldbox]​

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: calcifér.
Its fresh to find someone requesting wuxia. I'm a particular fan of the genre. I own copies of The Lost Bladesman, Battle of Redcliffe, and My Kingdom.

If we were to write something, would you prefer to lean on 'historical' reenactment, or to write simply in the style of the genre? Normally, I prefer not to write melodrama into the story. However I think melodrama and over-the-top descriptions is exactly what such a story as this would need.

Thinking of My Kingdom, wherein it demonstrates a form of cooperative dance-fighting, I think the most appropriate way to structure a wuxia roleplay would be to take it in turns to write very long posts. This would be like us each writing one side of a war between armies. First one moves - then the other - such is roleplay!

What do you think?
What is your favourite wuxia?​

To be honest, I've been looking for more wuxia to read. I've been reading through Romance of the Three Kingdoms--which may not entirely fit into the whole wuxia theme, but elements of it remind me of it. I've watched a few movies though that would fit the genre. Red Cliff, Jet Li's Hero, etc. The very artistic dance-fighting is captivating. I'm still looking for more to watch and read.

I think what I am leaning toward for wuxia is the style of genre rather than the historical reenactment. Though, I wouldn't really mind having a little bit of historical fiction in it as well. It's a big thing with Chinese storytelling anyways, and that's something I enjoy. For this kind of roleplay, I think the fluttery descriptions and melodrama would be fitting.

So long as you would be alright with slow response times, I wouldn't mind the long posts. My main thought is on this is how large scale are we going? Would it be each side actually controlling an army of characters? Or would it be narrowed down to the stories of few individuals?

I'm alright with slow response times. I am trying to work back into things, and doing some solo writing at the same time.

I like the emphasis on 'hero characters' of sorts in the wuxia films. We might like to monitor the lives and names of a few characters more closely. However with the non-important characters it may simply be enough to write "the east squadron overtakes the barracks in a flurry of bloodshed." I don't think the semantics or realism matter too much.

This is where it could get quite fun. Let's say we can god-mod each other's non-important characters, but not the important ones? We could set out story beats and important chars ahead of time. And then just go silly with with what is left over :D​

Unfortunately I'm starting work here in a minute, but I like where your ideas are going. If you could send me a pm so we can discuss more in depth, I'll respond when I can—either at lunch or after work tonight!

Reactions: Draugvan
@Dao Ma I find your request thread intriguing though I may not have time to start another rp right now. I am curious though, what you mean by 'supernatural realism'? It seems to be something where people have different views of what supernatural realism might be. I'm also wondering if you are a passive or aggressive writer or and what you think of combining pairings (For example: Psychic being a CEO, Supernatural being a "Common" person)? Thanks for your time! Maybe we could talk and write in the future. :)

@Kat, no worries. I understand the time restrains. x__x;;
Supernatural realism is something like.. hmm, best way to describe it is a realistic setting, but with supernatural things coinciding with it. So, for example, a modern setting where everything seems normal, but, like your example, the CEO is actually a psychic that can see the future. Maybe his secretary is a werewolf hidden in plain sight, etc. The definition of supernatural I tend to use is anything beyond the natural. So, even someone with superpowers, or some kind of mutation, or even if they are a fantasy race, could all potentially be supernatural if they are in a more realistic kind of setting.

I think I am an assertive writer? I will feed as much as I get and vise versa? I find rping a partnership, not a one-sided follow along story. So, if that's what you're referring to, I like to participate in building stories?

Combining pairings are totally fine with me and actually very much welcomed. How I laid out my thread is similar to a word bank. So feel free to pick and choose the words that catch your fancy and SMASH'EM ALL TOGETHER. There's all sorts of fun combos!

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: junebug
Oh. Can't beep boop. Woops. Well... Still looking for a partner or two. o__o;;

hey there! I think I'd be interested in a few of these. I like the sound of psychic x supernatural or oracle x warrior, or it could be cool to do a feudal era/folklore deal?

Reactions: GuanYue
I think a mix of them would work. Easily, an oracle x warrior could fit in a feudal/folklore situation. Psychic x supernatural could too, but I think I may want something potentially modern or even somewhat steampunky for that. An odd combo, I know. xD

Reactions: brinesweep
Hello. I'm interested in a few of your pairings and am fine with either of them if you are craving one more than the others.

Mafia X Mafia
Priest X Demon
Human X Supernatural
Royal X Commoner

I am also willing to hear any plots you have for them if you have anything yet, and also working together to figure out some plots to work with the parings. I have my own plots and pairings as well if they might help to come up with some plots that would work with these, if you'd be interested in mixing them together or if we need to. If you are interested in rping with me and want to discuss things further, we can chat through PM.

I'd be willing to do royal x knight or an urban fantasy. Or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.