Unfortunate Catastrophes.

June nodded at Peter, following him closely as they entered the mine shaft. One could never be too careful. As her male counterpart set off to report to Octopus, June thought she would try and see if anyone in the gang was fluent in sign language, and decided that Savvy would be her best bet. After a couple minutes of idle chatter, June gathered that, unfortunately, everyone else in the gang either only knew the alphabet or didn't know at all. That was fine, though, she could get by just fine with a notepad.

Sighing, she thanked Savvy and headed back inside the infirmary to check up on Peter. Before she could enter, though, she accidentally ran into a wall. Upon further inspection, however, she discovered that it was not a wall she had bumped into, but rather, a person. No, a Filbert.

"Christ, watch where you're going will you?" He said, scowling. June simply blinked. "You're gonna get someone hurt, I swear." He muttered as he brushed past her.

She would've preferred a wall.

"Oi, Bertie. Watch where you're going, you soggy lampshade. You know you gotta treat girls with care, like you're holding a flower." Savvy piped in, swinging an arm around June's neck. She didn't quite know what Sav was saying, but she knew that she was likely being defended. Though she appreciated the thought, June was more than capable of handling herself. In fact, had she not been taken off guard, June would've stomping up an earthquake. "Lighten up a little, yeah?" Savvy said, a little lower. Filbert only rolled his eyes as he strided into the infirmary, before his eyes narrowed at Peter.

"Filbert, there you are. We were just discussing the Levi case. Did Penny get any information yet?" Octavius asked, beckoning a hand in.

"Of course she did. I have his file right here." He stated, handing Octopus the short stack of papers contained in a manilla folder, who then briefed him on Peter's report.

"-So I was thinking," He gave a nod to Peter. "Nurse and Booker are confirmed to come, as well as Peter." To this, Filbert scowled, but Octavius kept him in check. "He knows the way. We'll probably want to take Colin if we're bringing the dogs. The entire front lines, including Max's quartet, for manpower. Booker, go see if anyone else wants to volunteer. No more than 10. We don't need half of Africa to crash an initiation. And Filbert, we'll need you and Penny to strategize." He said finally.

"You got it, Octopus," Booker says, saluting and wandering off to find more gang members. Peter bites his lower lip and drops his gaze. He misses using that nickname. Still, he's grateful that Octavius is letting him go with at all; he's surprised most of the gang trusts him again this quickly.

It's only a few minutes later when Colin runs in with Brownie at his heels. He skids to a stop and waves. "Hey, guys! You called?"

Brownie barks and bounds over to June, wriggling and wagging his tail as he tries to lick her hand.

Peter can't help but chuckle. "You two showed up fast. Just as well, too - we're crashing a jumping tonight. I'm not sure how many Vipers will be there, but we want to be prepared."

"Those snakes better hope Brownie doesn't jump them instead," Colin says, ruffling the pitbull's ears. Brownie only pants and wags his tail harder, flopping onto his back for a belly rub.

"Yes, he looks just ferocious," Nurse Candy says, laughing as she walks in. "Did Savvy and I miss anything? We'll be coming with, too."

Peter pauses and counts on his fingers. "Wait, let's see . . . no more than ten, and we've got . . ." He silently counts off Colin, Brownie, Candy, Savvy, June, Filbert, Penny, Booker, and himself. ". . . Nine. I think we should call Booker back, Octavius. That should be more than enough. And then we should get packed up and get going. This is one event we can't be late for."

June giggled and bent down to give Brownie a good ruffle.

Octavius looked over at Peter quizzically. "Nine? We only have you, Booker, Filbert, Penny, Colin, Savvy and Candy. That's 7." He frowns deeply. "If you're counting the hounds, then we'll probably take 3. But we will need 3 more people." He glanced over at June, who had been standing in the doorway, trying to follow the discussion with strained eyes.

"Ohh no." Candy chimed in. "No, no, no, no, no. June is not going. We are most certainly not throwing her into a pit of danger without any kind of background experience. Christ, you guys, think of things from her perspective. She didn't even know this place existed until yesterday." She said firmly. Savvy rubbed the nape of her neck while June looked behind her, confused as to why everyone was looking at her. She couldn't see Candy talking behind her, which made Savvy crack a smile. She quickly relayed everything that just happened.

"Oh! Well." June paused. "I see. I don't think I should go either. For one thing, I'm not at all trained to fight, nor do I know how to, and I'm pretty sure that's the majority of what's going to happen during all of this." She signed slowly, as Savvy translated to the rest of the room.

Just then, Booker came in with 2 extremely tall slender men and one woman who looked like she could bench the both of them. "I brought the fighters. Danny's out cold, the little shit, so we're one short." Booker said, ushering them all inside past June.

(*slenderman music plays in the background* Also, that moment when I definitely counted someone's name like at least twice XD)

"Oh. I guess I hadn't thought about that," Peter admits, rubbing the back of his neck with a light blush. "I figured June could take care of herself enough that maybe she'd want to help. But you're right. It will be pretty dangerous." He glances toward June with a smile. "Do you want to wait here for us for when we get back? Or do you want me to walk you home before we all head over to crash the party?"

"Flirt later, Romeo. We've got work to do," Savvy says, giving Peter a playful shove.

Peter's eyes go wide. "Flirting?! Wh - ? No! I just wanted to make sure she got home safe, that's all," he stammers.

Savvy chuckles and rolls her eyes. "Uh-huh. Oh, look who Booker dragged in. Rachel, Skins, and Cilantro, huh? You three busting for a fight?"

Peter rubs his arm and gets to his feet, clearing his throat. "Savvy's got a point. We do need to get over there before the Vipers do. Maybe we can intercept the kid before they do, unless - " His eyes go wide. "Octavius, what if they've already got him?"

(Ha, it's fine!)

June could only laugh, slightly flustered herself, as Savvy teased Peter. She took out her notebook and glanced at the three new people who entered the room. She made eye contact with the girl, and they exchanged a polite smile and wave.

"Hell yeah! We're ready to whoop some Viper ass." Skins said, pounding one fist into the other palm, which made Savvy laugh a little. He was the buffer of the two, Cilantro being the less meaty of the trio, but also the most agile. He could probably kick Australia into Asia and create another supercontinent if he wanted to. Rachel was just as strong as the both combined. She was a martial arts instructor for the better part of her life, and sometimes teaches new recruits.

"Is that the new recruit?" Rachel asked, nodding in June's general direction, who was busy scurrying over to Peter. Savvy gave her an affirmative. "She hasn't had any run ins with the law before, but she can hold up her own. Oh, and she's also deaf." Savvy informed her.

June took out her notebook and stood behind Peter, scribbling away as he spoke to Octopus.

"Slow down, kid. The sun just barely got out, we have time. If they're doing it tonight, get there before the sun sets. Filbert and Penny will need some if they want to properly plan a surprise attack." He said. "Booker, order some food from that Indian place downtown. I bet none of you have had lunch yet. Food is important, kids." He said, chuckling.

June tapped Peter's shoulder while Booker pulled out his phone and stepped out.

"About what you said a moment ago, it's not that I don't want to help! I do, of course I do, but I'm just not sure if I would be of any help at all. I can hold my own, but that's about all I can do, I don't think I can charge in and take someone down, much less save anyone else. And also, um, if it's not too much trouble, could you walk me home before you head over? I really should be getting back, I have work to do and I think I've overstayed my welcome here." She had written, turning over the notepad to show him.

Peter's eyes scan the words that June has written in her notebook before he scoffs and pats her shoulder. "Overstayed your welcome? June, as far as we're all concerned, you're a Raven now. There is no overstaying your welcome; this is your home as much as ours. You can come and go as you please."

Then he blushes and rubs the back of his neck. "But I would like to walk you home. It might be a bit dangerous, even in broad daylight, now that the Vipers know you're with us. Maybe you should get a guard dog to protect you," he suggests.

After a casual lunch in which several gangsters toss friendly insults at each other, the Ravens disperse. Penny and Filbert retreat into the records room to formulate a plan. Booker heads off to meet with Mr. Carnegie to get another pitbull dog. Colin leads Brownie off for a nap to ensure the dog will be well rested later that night. Candy and Savvy head off to prepare medical supplies, and Cilantro, Rachel, and Skins head off to exercise.

When Peter and June take the elevator up to the surface, it's still the middle of the day. Fluffy clouds float overhead, and the warm sun wraps around the pair as they head out from beneath the secret warehouse entrance. Peter clears his throat and rubs the back of his neck as they walk. "So, um . . . how was the first day or two of being in the Ravens? Probably a lot to process, right?" He hesitates before continuing. "Do you like being in the Ravens? I mean, as a whole?"

(Finally, some alone time!)

June looked over at the awkward boy standing next to her and giggled. He was a sweet kid, kind and honest. Well, as honest as one could be as a former spy for a street gang. She almost had to laugh. Oh, how did she get herself into this mess?

"Well, yes. It's a little overwhelming, if I'm being entirely honest. But.. it's nice. It's really nice. The Ravens are a fun bunch of people, very kind. You too, Peter. I can't thank you enough for kind of saving my life the other night, and walking me home." She wrote. The writing part took a while, but because Peter was right next to her, he could see over her shoulder as she wrote.

The walk back home would take a while. They were pretty far away from her neighborhood, and she assumed Peter was guiding them back to the city. After about 15 minutes, June realized they weren't really getting anywhere, as they were still in a kind of sketchy part of town.

Joe offered to give June a ride back home in the van, but Filbert interjected. The Gestapo might've still been lurking around here and there, and since they've already seen the van, it was probably a good idea to play it safe.

June nudged Peter as she pulled out her notebook. "Uh, Peter? You do know where we are, right? Because I don't." She wrote, looking up at Peter expectantly.

(Right? They're taking the scenic route XD)

"Don't worry, I know exactly where we're going," Peter says with a gentle smile. "You live in the bookstore library place, right? The one on Ivy Street?" He pauses and slips his hands into his pockets. "I'm just used to taking the long way. There are barely any people around, and as a Raven, I'd rather not draw too much attention," he adds, gaze flicking toward the cement sidewalk.

Then he glances up again and chuckles. "Besides, this way is way cooler. Have you ever heard of the lantern sanctuary? It's like this old warehouse that people stick oil lamps and glow sticks and light bulbs in. It's basically the one place that's assured to be safe for everyone. The Gestapo don't even go in there," he adds. Peter's eyes sparkle as the pair gets closer to the location.

It's not long before an old warehouse can be seen peeking out from a group of other buildings. It's been spray painted and tagged hundreds of times, and now it's full of color inside and out. Peter grins and gently takes June's hand to pull her towards it. "I promise, this'll just take a minute. But it's so worth it. You have to see this place," he adds softly.

Then he points toward a nearby street sign and nods. "Recognize where we are yet? Your library should be just three blocks from here. We're taking the back way there, that's all." He pushes the warehouse door open, ushering June inside with a sweep of his hand.

(Look up the asl sign for beautiful!! It's one of my favorite signs.)

Well, she didn't live in the library itself, but she certainly did live near it, the apartment complex right beside it-- he even got the street correct. June smiled back at the boy sheepishly, it seemed that he knew her home better than she did, which said a lot considering he'd never stepped foot inside it. Still, she was relieved he knew where they were headed, and appreciated the fact that he tried to reassure her of this.

"Lantern sanctuary?" She asked, fingerspelling it to make sure she had heard it correctly. It sounded like something straight out of a fantasy novel, which piqued her interest greatly. When Peter tugged her inside, however, she really did feel like she had just entered a fantasy novel.

Hues dominated by pinks and purples plastered the walls, kerosene lamps that looked like they had been stolen from the first Hanukkah paired with paper lanterns and puddles that she assumed were once fully formed candles lit the pathway as she stepped inside. No fuzzy rodents scurried past her feet and no bats hung from the ceiling, simply a couple of lights and a overwhelming sensation of nostalgia that wasn't her own greeted her senses. June got the feeling that countless core memories had been made here, probably some broken hearts lingered in the cracks of the walls and maybe even a proposal or two was neatly tucked into a few books and crannies.

June turned the awe-struck smile she didn't know she was wearing over to Peter, who held a similar expression.

"It's beautiful." She spelled. For a moment, she lingered, before deciding she would teach him a sign. The girl held an loosely open palm to the side of her face, closed it in front of her with a gentle twist of her wrist, and reopened it-- the way a flower would bloom. "Beautiful." She spelled. She repeated the gesture.

Once he got it down pat, she smiled and took out her notepad, straining her eyes against dim lighting. "Thank you for bringing me here. It's, god, it truly is beautiful. I can't believe something so amazing was right under my nose this whole time. I always thought this was some rickety old abandoned warehouse that people rave in with really weird lighting every once in a while." She wrote, laughing a little as she showed him the paper.

Peter nods when June asks him if she heard correctly. He's seen the place thousands of times; now his bright smile comes from watching June see it for the first time. "I'm glad you like it," he says softly. "It's my second favorite place to hang out, after the clearing."

His eyes widen when June shows him how to sign "beautiful." Now he'll be able to learn a new word and - hopefully - communicate better with her. He copies the motions carefully until he can remember the sign. All at once, he remembers the only other sign language he's learned.

You beautiful, he signs with a smile. He blushes and rubs the back of his neck, clearing his throat before walking further into the Lantern Sanctuary. "Uh . . . about the raves and things . . . you got the lights right, anyway. But no one's ever been attacked in here."

He runs a hand across the wall, eyes focusing on a few notes that have been taped there. "You know, it's funny. Not even the Ravens and Vipers know about this place. You'd think I would've told them by now." He shrugs and heads for the door again, ignoring the small bites. "Come on. Let's get you home."

Peter holds the door open again for June, patiently waiting for her to finish looking around. Part of him hopes she won't see the notes, but then, they're vague enough that she would have no idea that most of them are from his mother.

June's heart fluttered. Oh geez. The girl sunk back sheepishly, feeling the heat of speechlessness flare from the tips of her ears to throughout her chest. Oh geez, oh geez, oh geez. Somewhere in the back of her mind, she was commending him for the proper use of ASL grammar, entirely unaffected by his sheepish smile, however, that was not the case. She spent the next few moments recovering from the sudden flattering remark, before her attention returned to her present setting, namely, the number of notes scrawled over a certain section of the walls.

June turned to look at him as he spoke and announced their departure. She stole one last fleeting glance at the notes, and for a moment, she thought she saw "Peter" written amongst all the messy penwork. She hadn't the time to dwell on it, though, as boy who donned the name went to hold open the door for her, prompting her to scurry over.

The rest of the walk back was filled with chatter of the jubilant kind. It was nice. Her days would usually be spent curled up in some corner of the library or her home, eyes scanning the pages of a book. She tried to not read in public too much, as the expressions that would grace her face were, erm, colorful.

Once they reached the correct street, June led him to the apartment complex a couple streets away from the library. It was a fairly well off society, not ridiculously rich, but it was gated and well secured. She liked it. The flat she lived in itself wasn't very big, but it was big enough to accommodate herself and that was all she needed. Plus, it would be easier to decorate, and boy, did she go all out.

Once they reached the doorstep, June turned to Peter. "Thank you." She spelled, before deciding she would teach him his second sign of the day. A flat hand extended from the chin down in an arching fashion. She smiled as he repeated it, and gave him a warm hug.

(I think I posted a doodle of the sign a while back??)

(Yah, you did ^^ Also, I'm going to attempt playing June's pupper in order to advance the plot a bit, I hope that's cool ^^" If not, I'll go back and edit it to fix it XD)

The Raven glances around wistfully at the quiet streets and soft, glowing street lamps. It seems so different from the life he's used to. It's almost surreal. Still, most of his attention is on the girl beside him. Peter smiles as she continues chatting with him. He can't help but hope that he and the others can convince her to join the Ravens. She'd make a great asset to the team, and besides, he wants to get to know her better.

Then June teaches him another sign. [Thank you. You're welcome,] he repeats after her with a grin. Slowly but surely, he's increasing his ASL vocabulary. He only needs to repeat a sign a few times before he's able to use it; he's always been a fast learner. At last, he sighs deeply and stuffs his hands into his pockets. "Hey. Have a good night, June. Stay safe, okay? See you tomorrow after we stop the jumping tonight?" After a few quiet goodbyes, he gratefully accepts the warm hug and returns it. Then he waves and heads off down the street, walking through the Lantern Sanctuary on the way home.

Hours pass. The cuckoo clock on June's wall ticks quietly, and her dog, a grey and white husky named Mushy, is flopped over upside down on his bed with his paws flailing. He's already worn himself out jumping up on June when she returned earlier, and after a full meal, he's ready for a good night's sleep. Then his ears perk up. He jumps off the bed and pads toward the door, sniffing. He whines and jumps at the thick wood before barking loudly.

(All good! You have my permission to use June herself if you'd like.)

"Stay safe." She had fingerspelled as Peter entered the lift. Turning back, she unlocks the door to her home and almost immediately, is met with the slobber of a hyper dog that missed his companion. She missed him too. "Cutie. C'mon, you must be starving-" June held her sign as her eyes glazed over a knocked down 5 gallon bag of dog food. "I see. Well, at least you aren't hungry." She signed, laughing a bit.

She'd crashed on the couch after that, an open book resting bookmarked on her chest. Mushy was the cause of her wake. "Doggg," June signed, groggy. She could hear faint tones of his barking in her ears, and he didn't hesitate to paw at her til she was up and about. "Door? What- you want to go on a walk? Walk?" She asked, articulating the sign again. He was an active dog. He was trained to know bits of sign language, like eat and danger. Mushy simply continued to bark at the door.

Oh well. She had to pick up milk anyway. The corner store would do. She geared up and leashed her dog, who seemed more than eager to leave. As she continued on her walk, however, he was still acting strange. Had he heard a gunshot or something? No... she would've heard it too, faintly, but she would've heard it. While she was lost in her thoughts, Mushy kept tugging at his leash, straying off track from both the usual walking route and the way to the corner store. June sighed. Well, if she'd learned anything from being deaf, it was to trust your gut. And also your service dog.

She let Mushy guide her to wherever it was this weird, cotton-colored dog wanted to take her. A few shady alleyways later, he simply stopped, and began pawing on a garbage dump. June blinked. "You took me all the way here to show me trash? Mushy, we're going home." She begun turning around, but he wouldn't let her. He stayed firm in his position and continued pawing at the can. She sighed.

She couldn't believe she was about to dig through trash for her dog. She'd let him in charge of his own leash, while she took a closer look at the garbage can. Two scrappy legs dangled out of the side. June's eyes nearly boggled out of her skull. Mushy noticed, and began barking up a storm. After she recovered from the sudden shock, she worked on unearthing this pair of legs from the garbage, and discovered it was a boy. A beaten up, very dirty boy. June was at a loss. He was alive, she knew that much. But what was she supposed to do with a half dead kid? Hospital? Authorities? She hadn't a clue. Plus, the bag of crack that seemingly slipped out of his jacket pocket told her that it wouldn't be a good idea to take him to either. In a bit of a panic, and pushed by her hyper dog, who took no liberties sniffing, she made the trudge back home. Milk would have to wait, she supposed.

(Okay, sweet! ^^)

It's a miracle June had even seen the legs. Levi had barely managed to drag himself out of a zipped bag before struggling to kick the trash can doors open. He'd already been exhausted, and having to use extra energy just to climb out of a dumpster took a toll on him. He had managed to kick the lid open before it slammed shut again on both his legs, as though they hadn't been injured enough before. One leg has a deep gash down it that's still dripping blood.

As June pulls the boy out, further wounds are revealed. He has one black eye, bruises everywhere, and a scraped elbow. He also has a bruised rib, though that's harder to see. Levi's difficulty in breathing is the only thing that gives it away. He gasps in one hoarse breath after another, and his chest doesn't expand as much as it should. Unknown to June, the crack she'd found in the boy's pocket was a thinly veiled attempt to make the murder look like a suicide.

Mushy stays at June's side the whole way home. It had been Levi's blood that tipped him off in the first place, and now he bounds around the boy, whining and trying to lick him when he can. When June brings him into the house, Mushu follows right behind, laying his head beside the boy as the unexpected guest is set gently on a few towels on the couch.

It takes a few gentle splashes of water across the face to wake Levi up. He groans and pulls his head across the couch, wincing and reaching up to rub his eyes. His good eye slowly flickers open, while the bruised one stays shut. Everything blurs back into focus. Then he finds June standing above him.

Levi yells and jumps backward, desperately trying to push himself up even when his arms keep buckling under his own weight. He shrinks back as far as he can and stares up at June with wide eyes. He's shaking, and any attempt by June to reach out to him is met with a flinch and a soft whimper.

(Is it okay if I use Levi or is he yours?)

"Ah," June tries to calm down the frightened boy, but her attempts are only met with panic. Poor thing. She too, was panicking slightly. If Mushy hadn't pushed her to leave, or if she hadn't listened to him when he kept pawing at the dumpster, she wondered what would've happened to him. Still there? Left to die? What even happened to him?

Questions swirled in her mind, but she knew this wasn't quite the time for interrogation. Swiftly, she made a gesture that looked like 'stay', and ran through her apartment for a first aid kid and her notebook. Pat pat pat. She came back to find he was still there, and he had begun hacking up a storm. Oh dear. Water, he needs water. And a shower. She set down her items on a nearby table and brought back a tall glass of water, handing it to him carefully. He looked suspicious, despite still quivering.

"Hello. I'm June. I'm deaf, and my service dog found you in a dumpster. I can lipread, but try not to mumble. Can you stand? You'll need to clean the blood off yourself before I can do anything. I know a doctor you can go to. We'll go in the morning. Shower first, and I'll bandage you up the best I can, is that okay?"

She hoped Candy wouldn't be angry.

(You can use him if you like ^^)

Levi stares in confusion when, after he coughs his lungs out, the girl brings him a glass of water instead of a sharp reprimand. He's not used to that. He almost reaches a hand out to accept the cup, but it's only when June sets it against his hands that he actually takes it and cautiously takes a few sips.

The slew of sudden questions sends him reeling. Could he stand? He's not sure. The gash on his leg feels pretty deep. Still, he swings both legs over the side of the couch and winces. He has to clean the blood off himself. That part couldn't have been more clear.

"Wh - which way's the shower?" he asks hoarsely. He pushes himself to his feet before stumbling and slamming into the wall, panting hard as the dizziness worsens for a moment. If he can just put half his weight on something all the way to the shower, he should be able to make it. He can't put any weight on his injured leg. That's for sure.

Mushy whines and rushes over to lean up against the boy. Like any good service dog, he can tell when somebody's injured. He glances over at June with worried eyes, and then looks to Levi again. The boy shouldn't even be standing. Still, as long as he's determined to try, Mushy will make sure he doesn't fall.

Reactions: Levy
"Ah!" June voiced her panic as the boy slammed into the wall, quickly rushing to his side. Poor thing, he couldn't even stand. She silently thanked Mushy for supporting him, giving him a knowing glance. What would she do without him?

Besides that, who the hell would be monstrous enough to fuck up a child like this? This bad? Not only physically, but mentally--she could see him quivering as she drew closer. She couldn't even begin to fathom it. If she was just strong enough to carry him... June would try. He wore baggy clothing, but his hands were slender and veiny, she assumed that if he stretched, she could see the outlines of his ribs. Maybe she could see them if she didn't stretch.

June shook her head and waved at Mushy to step back as she wrapped her hands around him, trying her darn hardest to carry the wounded boy to her bathroom. At a closer proximity, she could see the open cuts and gashes, purplish bruises at a closer proximity. Oh god, they were bad. She couldn't begin to imagine how much pain he must be in.

"N-no, you don't have to do that, it's fine- I- I'm fine, really," Levi protested. June only smiled at him. She couldn't make out what he was saying all that well, as the stuttering sort of made it difficult, but she didn't blame him. Scarlet fell upon his face as she sat him down at the edge of the bathtub.

The next hour or so was spent in a cycle of attempted communication and trying June trying to clean Levi's wounds. He would protest, and she would shake her head. The boy was especially antsy when she had to get close enough to touch his back, or places in which he couldn't see what she was doing. He winced, whimpered, and At one point, he nearly passed out. It was all she could do until she could take him to Candy. She didn't know how long it would take them to get back, and she wasn't even sure if she could navigate there on her own. The hospital was looking more attractive the more she thought about it.

After the shower, she gave him painkillers and some over the counter medicine for colds. Just in case. She went through two rolls of bandages to cover all of him, and by the time it was over, he looked half mummy. She had a guest room in the small apartment, and let him sleep there beside Mushy. Just in case something happened at night, Mushy could notify her.

The young girl wondered how Peter was doing.

Levi fights June as well as himself. He swings back and forth between longing for medicine and bandages and wanting to run as far away from everyone as possible. Everything hurts. After several hours of June trying to tend to his wounds, Levi starts feeling dizzy again. He's only half listening when June carries him into the guest room. He's unconscious again by the time his head hits the pillow.

Still, his breathing is a lot better. His chest expands almost fully now. Mushy hops up on the bed beside him, licking June's cheek before licking Levi's and curling up against the boy. Mushy takes a bit longer to fall asleep, as usual.

Several hours pass quietly. Then Mushy springs to his feet and runs to the door again, barking loudly. Levi doesn't even stir.

Outside, Peter is standing on June's doorstep, drenched in lake water and covered in seaweed and a few pieces of plastic. He waits anxiously for June to open the door. After he and the Ravens had managed to break up what they thought was the jumping session at the lake, the Vipers had thrown a large plastic bag into the water. Peter assumed Levi was in it.

There was only a pile of rocks. That meant either Levi was still safe, or in more danger than the gang had first assumed. Maybe June would have some ideas as to where the Vipers took him. "June?" Peter calls out, despite knowing she's deaf. "June, it's Peter! Please, I need to talk to you!"

Mushy barks a few more times. Then he runs to June's room, tugging on her pajama sleeve to pull her out of bed and towards the door. His tail wags as he nuzzles her face for good measure.

June stirs. Her dog paws her face. She blinks awake. He urgently ushers her up, leading her to the front door, turning around every now and then to check if she was still upright. Oh, what now? Who could be at her door at this time of day? She only hoped it didn't wake the child, he needed all the rest he could get. Upon opening the door, June is met with the person she didn't know she wanted to see.

He looked distressed. And also drenched. And.. was that seaweed? June shook her head and took his hand before he could tell her anything, leading him to Levi's room. Of course she wanted to know if he was okay and how the mission went, but the injured kid came first. She wouldn't be surprised if he had a broken rib, what with his heaving.

Their eyes fall upon the still sleeping boy. The lights stay off in the room, but there's enough coming from the hallway behind them to make out the state of his injuries. June turns to Peter, urgent.

<Candy>

They needed to take this kid to Nurse Candy. She assumed that if Peter was back, she had to be back as well. Car would be the fastest, and probably easiest on the kid--she had one, of course, she simply didn't use it very often. Everything she needed was a walking distance away.

The door swings open as June arrives, blurry eyed and still in pajamas. Before Peter can get a word in, though, she tugs him into the house and towards the guest room. Peter glances at her with a raised eyebrow. "June, what's - ? Look, I can't rest right now. We need to - " he starts.

Then he sees Levi. His mouth drops open as he staggers back with wide eyes. All at once, he heaves a sigh of relief and hugs June tightly, leaning back so she can read his lips. "You found him! June, how did you - ? No, never mind, you're right. I'll call Candy and get her out here to see him. We can't move him like this."

He runs for the house phone and starts dialing Candy's number. After a brief conversation, he nods and hangs up again, finally starting to relax. "Okay. She's on her way," he says at last. "The good news is, she said that Levi sounds pretty stable if he's breathing at the same rate and is trying to sleep it off." He gives June a lopsided grin and wrings his sweater sleeve out. ". . . I don't suppose you have a towel? I don't want to drip all over your house."

With Peter taken into the house and Levi somewhat safe, Mushy retires to the injured boy's side and curls up, tail wagging gently. He instinctively knows the extra body heat will do Levi well. He watches June and Levi from a distance, occasionally wagging his tail harder if one of them happens to glance over or talk to him.