Unfortunate Catastrophes.

Scully chuckled at his stupor. "Death by rats! They'll have you tied up against the wall, naked, and the rats will come, one by one, and nibble away at your poor, helpless--" He was cut off by the sound of Sav necking him. "Stop messing with the poor thing. Look at him. He can barely form a sentence. Don't you have a soul? Geez. You're not dying, Peter. You uh-- it was decided that you would take on the next assassination job. What with your distaste for murder and all... I'm sorry, dude." She told him, giving him a pat on the back.

"But it's okay. Come on, we owe your lady friend an explanation." Savvy piped, nudging him to the infirmary.

Booker held his unexpected guest's offer on his tongue for a good moment. The man''s intel never ceased to amaze him, he had gotten word of a pregnant dog for Christ's sake. Pitbulls do make wonderful attack dogs, and are well known for guarding illegal narcotics operations. Plus, they could never have too many dogs. If needed, one could just stay behind as a... therapy mutt, or something. Booker had a well-known affection for dogs, and Carnegie knew this very well.

"I see you still talk like an 18th century nobleman. Yeah, we could use another fighting dog. Tell me the details in the back." He said, gesturing for Carnegie to follow him to a less rowdy area, a storage room used primarily as a one on one meeting chamber.

June was currently being bombarded by a swarm of people welcoming the newcomer. June, of course, could not answer any of their questions because she, in fact, was deaf, and could not hear them, nor did she have the concentration necessary to focus on one person's mouth long enough to form a full sentence. The nurse had to shoo them all outside, as they were making entirely too much of a ruckus for her to do anything. She was being ushered out when she tripped on, well, seemingly nothing but pavement, and let out a yelp.

Last edited:
Peter starts to nod to Scully, but his bottom lip is quivering, and he's starting to shake. So much for a quick death. Maybe he'll get lucky and the rats will go for his throat first . . .

Then there's a gentle pat on his back. Peter blinks and glances up, tilting his head as Savvy explains what's really going on. "Wait . . . th - that's it? That's all?" he stammers. He shakes his head and stumbles behind Savvy as she heads for the infirmary. It didn't make sense. He'd committed treason of the highest order, and they were giving him a job reserved for their higher up gang members? "I don't understand," he mumbles at last. "I betrayed the Ravens, Savvy. I - I almost cost Octavius his life. He could've died, Savvy! Somebody could have died and it was all my fault! Why don't you all just get rid of me and be done with it?!" he yells.

Before he can launch into a complete breakdown, though, there's a sharp yelp nearby. Peter instinctively whips around and lunges forward to attempt to catch whoever's falling. To his surprise, it's the girl from the underground cell. He pulls in a few deep breaths as he tries to calm down. He makes sure June is steady on her feet; then he turns and walks toward the door to the elevator. He's sure Savvy will explain what's going on. Besides, once June finds out what he's done, she won't want to talk to him anyway.

-----

"But of course. I wouldn't have it any other way," Carnegie says with a chuckle. He heads into the storage room almost instinctively; he's there very often. Then he leans on his cane and tips his hat, smiling before pulling out a piece of paper to hand to Booker. "Now, this pitbull breeder is a close acquaintance of mine. He always tells me when his dogs are about to litter. And on this particular occasion, one of his best dogs is going to have puppies. Her name is Cleopatra the Second, named after her mother. A lovely creature known for creating some of the most powerful fighting dogs in the ring. Simply go to this address and tell them Carnegie sent you. I suspect they'll give you a handsome discount on the puppies," he adds with a wink.

Savvy looked surprised, a little startled even, but his sudden outburst. She was even more stupefied by his sudden rush to the girl's rescue, though, she looked even more surprised than she was. Come to think of it, she had never gotten her name.

June was, in a sense, flabbergasted. There he was, her comrade, saving her yet again from the ill fate of nose diving into pavement. That would have been messy. And also bloody. She steadied herself, but before June could sing her gratitude, he was already on his feet and heading for the mine shaft. Confused, she followed him. Savvy caught up with them and tapped June's shoulder.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, thanks. Savvy, was it? Where are we going?"

"Uh.. I don't really know. Peter has outbursts like these sometimes. Probably to cool his head. I'll explain everything to you once we settle down."

"Well, okay then. I guess we'll just have to wait and see."
June finished, running a hand through her hair. The trio was positioned so that Savvy and June were walking side by side, Peter strolling in front of them where he couldn't see their signed conversation. The elevator ride was quiet, following the trudge up the stairs and into the surrounding forest. Just when June was at her wit's end, they reached a breezy clearing decorated with vibrant patches of flowers peppering the grass.
-
Booker held the piece of paper close to his face and cocked a smile as he took in the information. "You sly fuck. Your power truly is a force to be reckoned with, huh? Well, that's not to say your dastardly bastardess isn't appreciated." Booker said, slipping the paper into his cargo shorts. "How come you're always waltzing in here, just in the nick of time, huh? I still remember that kid, shot in the side, just about ready to kick the bucket. It was years ago, so we didn't have a nurse yet, we were all panicking and running around like madmen. And then you come strolling in, with a white suit and that annoying cane, and a fully-equipped, fully-trained, fucking doctor in tow." He chuckled at the memory.

As far as he knows, Peter's alone. He doesn't have to stop the tears that drop down his cheeks. There's no one else to see them. After an eerily quiet elevator ride and a short walk, his shoes sink into the soft grass in the one place he's always felt safe. The clearing.

Peter pulls in a deep breath and lets it out slowly, dragging himself over towards a log before flopping down on it and holding his head in his hands. His temples are throbbing. It doesn't make sense. Nothing makes sense. He'd betrayed the Ravens, and instead of the expected death penalty, they gave him a job reserved only for the most experienced members. Did they know he'd fail, and hoped he would die that way? Or did they forgive him?

Peter hiccups and wipes his eyes again. It was a nice thought, but he's sure it can't be the answer. No real gang would keep a traitor. Even if the Ravens were different, they weren't fools. Peter picks one of the flowers and absent mindedly pulls petals from it one by one. The Ravens hadn't killed him, but they almost certainly didn't want him back. So what was their plan?

His mind races as a cool breeze tosses his hair. He shivers slightly, even with his leather jacket on, but other than that he doesn't notice. He sits silently on the log and stares blankly at the nearby river. To anyone else passing by, he'd look almost like a statue, barely breathing and without a hint of true emotion.

-------

Carnegie laughs and pats Booker's shoulder. "Ah, yes, dear Copperfield. How is that lad getting on? It's been days since I last spoke to him." He smiles and straightens up, swinging his cane with a tilted eyebrow. "As to my cane - you forget it is quite a deal more than an annoyance. Not every weapon can be carried openly among the general public with ease."

He presses a button, and the cane twists and extends into a thin but powerful sword. "Of course, the greatest weapon is never what you carry. It exists here," he adds, lowering his sword and pointing to his mind. "An intelligent opponent is a dangerous one. That is why I have become powerful, and why I apparently always arrive in the nick of time. Of course, being born into wealth certainly helps," he adds with a smile. "Now, as to the dogs - should you care for a ride over? I'm sure my chauffeur wouldn't mind an extra errand."

(Oh jesus, I just remembered, I never told you who the other person in the picture was! It's Savvy, since she was talking to Savvy in the post.)

June stepped out into the clearing, soft grass and dirt alike pressed under her feet as she breathed in crisp air. She approached Peter tentatively, trying not to scare him, and bent down in front of him so that they were level headed. When she caught his attention, she found tears gushing down the side of his face. Her heart wrenched. She wrapped his arms around him, pulling him into a warm hug. He really looked like he needed one.

She didn't know why he was crying, exactly the details of who he was, where she was, or what the hell that containment facility was. Up until now, she'd been waiting patiently for someone to tell her was was going in, completely left in the dark. She'd been trained from birth to figure things out on her own. A world without sound was one without context. And yet, she gave him a soft smile, some soft pats, and wiped away his tears with her sleeve.

< P l e a s e . . . t e l l . . . m e . . .e v e r y t h i n g > She spelled. Before Peter could get in a reply, Savvy stepped in and ruffled Peter's hair.

"Jesus Christ, I can't take any more of this spelling. It's so ineffective. Look, I'll translate for you two. I'll sign what Peter's speaking when he's speaking it, and say what she's signing, when she'd signing it. Sound good? Good. For starters, Peter. Ask her what her name is. We haven't gotten one yet." Savvy said, running a hand through her hair as she sat down between them. She had been signing what she was saying so that June could follow. June smiled. She never quite had someone volunteer to be her interpreter.
-
"Oh, he's doing just fine. Got a summer job at Subway, I believe. We visit him every now and then. He's really adamant on joining the gang when he's older, the idiot. There's a reason we don't take in kids, and I hope he realizes that he's better off elsewhere, going to college or something." Booker states, rubbing the nape of his neck. While he readily accepts new members with open arms, or well, probably crossed arms and a scowl, gangs are dangerous. Even he knew this much. He cocked an eyebrow when Carnige whipped out his over the top extravagant sword, rolling his eyes.

"I'll pass on the ride, thanks. We have an injured Octopus in the infirmary. The asshole got himself shot. I better go check up with him before anything else." He informed, sliding out of the storage room. "Good luck on your business endeavors, you old melon."

Last edited:
(LOL It's all good! Savvy and June are both so cute in that pic ^^)

Peter startles and blinks when June appears in front of him. He's even more surprised when she wraps her arms around him in a gentle hug, and his eyes widen. He pauses at first, eyes brimming with fresh tears. Then he swallows back a sob and shakily returns the hug. When Savvy joins the group to ruffle his hair, Peter bursts out crying and buries his face in June's shoulder. No one's ever come after him before, and definitely not to comfort him even if they did. He barely knows how to react to the situation.

It's a few minutes before Peter finally stops to catch his breath. He pants and hiccups, wiping tears away with the edge of his leather sleeve. "I - I'm so sorry, I . . . what are you two doing out here?" he stammers. When Savvy tells him to ask June's name, he blinks and nods. "Right. I never got it." He pulls in a breath and sighs deeply. Then he offers a lopsided smile and a hand. "My name . . . my real name . . . is Peter Menlow. What's yours?" He hesitates again and bites his lower lip. "I'll tell you exactly what's going on - I'll tell you both - but . . . I don't know if you want to hear it. It's some heavy stuff. Anyway, why are you two out here? Is there something important going on in the hideout?"

----

Carnegie raises an eyebrow at hearing the boy's employment decision. "Ah. Well, if it's danger you're concerned about, and he remains adamant about joining the Ravens, I will in fact be needing a new chauffeur soon. Mine is retiring next year, and you know how hard it is to get good help. Tell the lad to pay me a visit. He sounds like a capable boy."

At hearing Octavius has been injured, Carnegie nods solemnly. "I'm sure he's in good hands with your nurse. But I'd better hear a phone call if more help is needed. Now then, I must be off. I've a good friend in the east sector to visit," he says with a wink. He twists his cane back into a normal walking stick and spins it as he walks off. "Good day to you, sir. Stay out of serious trouble, would you?" he adds with a warm chuckle. Then he's gone again, having entered the elevator to head back to the surface.

(Ahh! Thank you! I must say, a lot of the bits of humor you put in your writing make me burst out laughing, so kudos to you!)

June was almost startled when Peter violently broke into sobs on her shoulder. Oh boy, he certainly was a tearful one. She hopes he gets enough water to counteract with all the crying, she wouldn't want him collapsing of dehydration. She watched him gather himself with the patience of a mother, and smiled when he finally did so. Savvy began to translate with the ease of a professional interpreter.

"June Thatcher. It's wonderful to properly meet you, Peter." She signed, before giving his hand a bit of a nervous shake. She never really was good at handshakes, and very much preferred hugs over them. "Ah, well, we were walking right behind you the entire time. That's right! I never quite got to thanking you for saving me from meeting an ill fate with the floor. So thank you. I- I would greatly appreciate it if you would tell me what exactly happened during the span of time in which we almost died. One more thing before you begin, though. You.. you do know I'm deaf, right?" She asked, her hands hesitant.

Savvy has to pause, not giving Peter time for response. "Wait. You didn't know she was deaf? This entire goddamn time? I knew you were thick headed, but Jesus Peter, how oblivious can a person physically be?! God, you onion!" She exclaimed, throwing her hands into the air.

--

"I'll run it over the kid, don't you worry." Booker told him as he exited. "I'm not making any promises!" He said with a chuckle. He was in a gang, assistant leader that that. Getting in trouble was his speciality.

(Thanks very much! ^^ I love Savvy's insults, they're the best. "You onion!" XD)

Peter's mouth drops open. He winces at Savvy's outburst, but then blinks as realization hits him like a bus. "Deaf?" he echoes. He raises a finger as if to reply, and then nods instead. "That . . . explains a lot. Here I thought the sign language was to keep the gestapo from hearing us."

He clears his throat and settles back on the log. "I still can't believe you two followed me up here for no reason. But if you really want to know what's going on . . ." He launches into a story of all the events leading up to the underground cell, explaining to June exactly who the bloody collars are and why he'd been so terrified. Then he tells the pair about his past with the Vipers.

". . . I got kicked out of the house when I was seventeen. After my mom died, my dad didn't have the money to support himself and me. That's what he said, anyway. I thought I was lucky when the Vipers took me in. They trained me as a spy, jumped me in but gave me a week to rest afterwards, the whole deal."

He skips over most of the details about the Vipers, ending with his betrayal of the Ravens. ". . . so that's why I figured I'd get a death sentence," he finishes, hanging his head as his gaze drops to the grass and flowers below. "There's no way a real gang would decide on anything less. You don't even want to know what the Vipers would do to me if it happened with them."

Peter huffs and closes his eyes. It had been a long time since he'd told anyone anything close to that amount of personal information. But now that both Savvy and June knew, it was a load off his shoulders. He'd finally found people he could trust. Too bad it was after he'd broken theirs.

June listened to him tell his lengthy tale, her eyes never breaking the gaze she held with Peter whilst she processed Savvy's interpretations from her peripheral. It was... a lot. A lot to take in, a lot to process. This boy, this quivering, wobby-legged boy had suffered so much affliction and so many tribulation and so much hell, June could barely begin to fathom it. She wondered for a moment if she was truly looking at an anxious boy or one of strength, vigor, resilience.

And yet, as she dwelled further on the events that led up to her sitting in this clearing, surrounded by a chirpy woman and a leather-cad boy, her mind could not help but come back to the same conclusion. This was illegal. She needed to call the police. She needed to help these wonderful people, to rehabilitate them so they can contribute to society and earn without killing anyone for it. Well, she supposed they could be assassins, but she wasn't sure if that was a formal economic activity.

She was almost tearing up, but she quickly ran a sleeve across her eyes and sniffed. June pulled him into a bear hug, burying her face into his shoulder and hanging on to the leather fabric strapped to his back. "You've cried enough for the both of us." June joked, signing behind his back. Savvy laughed as she translated.

"Thank you for telling me everything. It's... I'm sure you already know this, but I'm not quite familiar with..." She paused as she searched for the right words. "Look, I'm a librarian. I sort books and help people find dictionaries. The closest run in with the law I've had before this was a parking ticket. A parking ticket!" She said, laughing at her own naivety. "But don't get me wrong! You're all wonderful people. Heck, you gave me your jacket so I wouldn't freeze overnight. Don't think I didn't forget that. Thanks for that, and also saving me from being choked to death. And," She turned to Savvy. "Thank you for rescuing us from certain death in underground prison." She told her.

Peter stiffens in surprise when June wraps him in yet another hug, but then he relaxes and gives both her and Savvy a soft smile. "Yeah. I guess I have done enough bawling for one day, huh?" he asks with a chuckle. He sighs deeply and gently returns June's hug. "Th - thank you. Thank you both. I know things aren't going to be the same between me and the Ravens now, but . . . but I'm glad I get to stay. I'm going to do everything I can to make it up to you all. I promise."

He rises carefully to his feet and glances back towards Savvy. "I didn't get a chance to ask before, but how's Octavius doing? He's going to pull through, right?" His voice is stronger than even a few minutes ago, now gentle and sure instead of shaky and hoarse.

Peter still feels awful for betraying the Ravens. He's not sure he'll ever get over it. But if he's going to make things up to them, he's going to start right now. Then he blinks as his eyes fill with realization. He's going to get the next assassination job. Normally, he'd hate having to murder someone. But maybe now he'll have the chance to stake a situation out and see what's really going on where someone else might simply find the target and shoot them. With Peter in charge of an assassination, he'll be able to make sure he doesn't have the wrong guy.

He smiles and straightens his shoulders a bit while he waits for Savvy to answer. All at once, getting the role of hitman doesn't seem so bad any more.

"I didn't get to check up on him after the meeting, but Nurse didn't look too worried when we brought him in. She looked a little annoyed, actually." Savvy told him, laughing a bit. "We can go check up on him now, if you'd like." She said, pointing a thumb behind her. June nodded. She didn't quite know this person, but he didn't squeeze the life out of her when they first met, so she was thankful for that much.

As they made the trudge back to the base, they stopped by to pick up June's bag from the van, in which she was blessing jesus almighty that Savvy picked it up before he left. She thanked her profusely.

THNAK.jpg

The further they walked, however, June grew more quiet. When she truly thought about it, wasn't she the direct cause of Octavius' wound? If memory served her right, it was her that he threw into the van first, before himself, and that was when she had heard the abhorrent sound ring in the air. If he had simply let her run on her own, he wouldn't have been shot. If he hadn't stopped to pick her up, he wouldn't have had a bullet in his side. She covered her mouth as they stepped into the infirmary. When she looked up, Savvy was snapping her fingers in front of her.

"You okay there?" She asked, her signs slow. June nodded, suddenly aware of her surroundings. Octavius was laying down on the hospital bed, the nurse across the room from them sitting on a stool. As he noticed them them enter, Octavius rose into sitting position, blankets falling to bunch up at his abdomen. A set of white bandages wrapped around his waist. The nurse turned sharply in her chair. "Ah-ah-ah! Sit up again and I'll shove that bullet back inside." She called. He immediately laid down, his head thumping against the pillow. Savvy chuckled. June saw that Peter had already begun speaking to him, so she decided she would apologize to him afterwards.

Peter swallows as he walks into the room, dropping his gaze and rubbing the back of his neck. "H - hey, Octavius," he says softly. Normally he would've used the man's nickname, but somehow, it doesn't seem fitting after what Peter's done. He clears his throat and glances up briefly. "Um . . . they decided not to kill me. Anyway, I just thought maybe I should come see how you were. You doing any better?"

Peter had thought he'd gotten slightly back to normal. But now he had to face his gang leader again, who hadn't been part of the trial. If he had, maybe the punishment would've turned out worse. Peter's not sure how Octavius will react to him now. It's nerve wracking.

He blinks and glances over as June seems to freeze in place. "June? You okay?" he asks a few seconds after Savvy signs the exact same question. He tilts his head and raises an eyebrow. What was June so tense about? She hadn't done anything to the gang. She wasn't the one who got the gestapo sent to the Ravens' territory and almost got the gang's leader killed.

Peter slumps onto a nearby stool, waiting for either Octavius or June to respond. He's not sure either one will. He keeps his gaze mostly on June, both because she's deaf and might sign back instead of talking, and because he's sure she'll be a lot easier on him than Octavius will. He's never known the Ravens' leader to be soft.

Octavious was a real man's man. He believed in firm eye contact, good posture and an unyielding tone, his rigid set of values are what landed him leadership position. So when Peter approached, he latched onto the boy with unwavering eyes, despite the position he was in.

"Fit as a fiddle, little dude." He chuckled. The change of voice was almost baffling. "Booker just paid me a visit and told me what happened. You better count your lucky stars, kid, because your best case scenario just played out before your eyes." He told him, his strict dad tone coming out again. His eyes flickered to June as she became the center of attention. She nodded to Peter's question, waving her hands dismissively, no use in worrying them. She really did wear her heart on her sleeve. It would be troublesome if she had to continue to gather information.

"That the new recruit?" He whispered to Savvy. "You got a name?" He asked. June looked up to see him talking. She sighed and pointed to her ears, before shaking her head. Savvy tapped her shoulder and gave her a small smile. "She's deaf, boss. I guess I'm her temporary translator." She told him. June gave her a nod.

"I'm June."

"Octavius. Folks call me Octopus." He said. To this, June smiled a little. For a moment, she hesitated, but then went to hold a deep bow, one of apology.

"I'm very sorry for indirectly causing your injury when you loaded myself into the van before yourself, back in the prison. You are all very kind people, and I deeply appreciate what you have done for me up to this point." She signed. Her tone was extremely formal, and Octavious himself was a little taken aback by the courtliness of it.

"Hey now, kid, don't speak like that. You didn't do a thing wrong. Get that thought outta your skull. Now, how's the gang been treating you? Has Peter made a move on you yet? Or maybe Savvy? Ah, how young love blossoms." He joked. To this, June covered her face, and Savvy huffed, rolling her eyes.

"No! No, no, no! Jeez! We've all known each other for a day! One day! Young love my ass, if anything, you and onion-head would make a much better couple." June said, forgetting her formalities from the sheer force of her fluster (tongue twister!). She was, of course, referring to Booker. Mohawk guy.

"Sorry to dissapoint, kid, but I don't swing that way. I don't, but Savvy here-" Before he could finish his sentence, Savvy flicked his forehead, effectively shutting him up.

Peter huffs and rubs the back of his neck as his own gaze locks onto the floor. "Don't worry, Octavius. I haven't made a move on anyone. Not after what I pulled," he says softly. "But I did want to ask you a question before I left. Is there . . . anything you want me to do while you're stuck in the infirmary? I know you've usually got a lot on your plate, but I was thinking Booker might want some help filling in for you."

It's not uncommon for Peter to use Octavius' real name. But leaving out the man's nickname altogether is unusual for him. Still, he doesn't think it'll make much difference when Octavius is under the weather anyway.

Then Filbert runs into the infirmary. He's a lanky man with messy, dirty blond hair, scruffy stubble without the mustache, and focused blue eyes. He's often referred to as the Crow's Nest lookout, as he spends hours of the day patrolling the Ravens' territory from the safety of a security room, occasionally coming out to alert Octavius or others with important news.

"Octavius, Savvy - new friend, whoever you are - we've spotted some more Vipers on the eastern front of our territory," he bursts out, leaving Peter's name out on purpose. "I've already told Booker and he wants to attack right away. My advice was to keep a close eye on them and see if they leave. What do you think we should do?"

"I agree with Filbert," Peter says with a nod. "There's no point in risking someone's life unless we need to. We should probably - "

"Normally I wouldn't ask you directly, but you know how pushy Booker can get," Filbert cuts in. "He's been hounding me for the past five minutes. In fact, he's probably on his way."

Savvy smirks and raises an eyebrow as Booker shoves the doors open. "Here's onion-head now."

"Octavius! We've got Vipers on the east side," Booker calls out. "Who do I bring with to smoke them out?"

June frowned. She didn't exactly know what was happening, or who just burst through the door, but she noticed Peter being interrupted. She knew it was common for hearing people to interrupt one another, but it simply did not sit well with her. When two deaf people are communicating, even if they are angry or in an argument, they do not interrupt one another--it just doesn't happen. So it sort of baffled her to constantly see it happening.

Savvy tapped her shoulder and immediately informed her of what was happening. June blinked. "Yeah, Filbert looks like the most reasonable voice here..." She signed slowly as she tilted her head, staring Booker's eccentric hair cut. Octavius huffed out a slightly vexed breath as everyone in the room awaited his response.

"Alright boys-- and girls. Any other time I would agree with Filbert, but as of right now I hold somewhat of a grudge against the Vipers' recent... actions. Booker, I cannot stress this enough, do not charge in with your head in your ass. If you catch whiff of them vandalizing our territory or plotting kidnap someone, sure, be my guest. But, observe them, first. Take Peter and June with you. It'll give her a sense of what life here is like. Filbert, you'll be manning the camera room. Keep track of the intruders and for the love of god, please don't fight with Booker. Understood?" He finished. Once Savvy finished translating, she nudged June forward with a mischievous smirk, whose only response was discombobulation.

"Yes, sir!" Filbert and Booker said in unison. Filbert looked slightly annoyed at most, but otherwise, didn't seem like he would object. Booker nodded to June and Peter before striding out of the room. Filbert followed suit. "Be safe, now!" Savvy yelled as they left.

June stuck close to Peter as they walked to the mine shaft. Filbert parted ways with them before they could reach the elevator, she assumed the camera room was underground, near their base. Smart planning. June hadn't noticed this, but the forest the mine shaft was under was rather small, more of light woods than anything. If they headed a little further down, it led to a rather sketchy part of town, the outskirts, similar to the slums of New York. Thus, intruders tended to not be an issue within the Ravens. Sure, there were rumors of the hide out being somewhere in the woods, but no one really dared to venture in.

(Wait I thought Booker was the one who wanted to attack and Filbert wanted to observe? XD Oh well XD)

Peter's head snaps up as Octavius mentions who's going on the exploit. "Me?" he stammers, eyes wide. "Boss, are you sure you want me to - ? I mean, I - "

"Shut up, dumbbell. You heard Octavius," Booker says with a nod. He sighs heavily and crosses his arms, shooting the Ravens' leader a glare. "Fine. We'll watch first. But I'm taking the first excuse I can to kick some Viper tail."

It's not long before the three are outside. Booker talks with Filbert through a headset and relays information to Peter and June. Peter, meanwhile, gently wraps his rough hand around June's delicate one in an attempt to lead her. His grip isn't very strong, though; he's expecting her to pull away at any moment.

Then he freezes and points, staring. "There," he whispers. "Booker, we have a visual."

A pair of Vipers are leaning against a brick wall, looking over the space near an industrial sized garbage bin as they talk. Peter narrows his eyes and huffs. His grip on June's hand strengthens slightly, and he taps her shoulder so she can read his lips. "Let's get closer. I want to hear what they're saying," he enunciates.

"Yeah, me too," Booker says with a nod. He presses a finger to his headset. "Filbert? We're moving in."

"Don't get too close. And you'd better not get the new Raven killed," Filbert growls back.

Booker rolls his eyes. "Yeah, whatever. I'll try to bring her back in one piece." Before Filbert can protest again, Booker shuts off his headset and nods to Peter.

Peter blinks in surprise. He's leading the walk? He would've thought it would be Booker. Still, he creeps cautiously towards the Vipers, hugging the back of the trash bin before finding a bush to peek through. Even June will be able to read their lips. Then his chest tightens. He doesn't know who the gangsters are. Cobra's expanding his brood.

"- so you think this area'll work?" one gangster asks.

"Oh, yeah. No cops come out this far. Not that fast, anyway. Ain't nobody would catch us," the other replies.

June, despite herself, was absolutely terrified. Right to the core of her bones. She didn't think in a million years she would be creeping around with gangsters, spying on people who looked like they could spit in the face of a police officer with no fear. Almost involuntarily, she held onto Peter's hand with a death grip, as if it was her lifeline. She stuck to the boy like glue, the hairs on the back of her neck rising when he tightened his grip on her hand.

June nodded and approached the dumpster cautiously with Peter, then going to peer through the leaves of a bush. She couldn't exactly make out what they were saying, but she knew she wouldn't like it, either way.

"Man, I heard back in the day, boss gave 'em a whole week to recover. And they went easy on them too, didn't punch or kick as hard." One said.

"Pussies. It ain't a real jumping if ya' get to recover. No gang can get by like that." The other sneered.

"Well, yeah, I guess. What's the kid's name? Levi?"

"Yeah. I hear he's a shrimpy lil thing, can barely hold his own in a fight and he's a fag." The other shuddered.

"Fucking gross. You sure we're talking' bout the same kid? Boss would never let a-"

"Wait, dude, shh." He paused. "You hear that shit?"

June had sneezed. It was so powerful, her body thrust forward and mangled in the bushes. Booker immediately ripped her from Peter and pushed her behind Peter and himself, hissing a little. Oh god, she fucked up. She fucked up. She blew their spot. They knew where they were. "Stay." Booker cautioned, his voice rigid.

"The fuck you talking about? There's no-"

"Oh yeah, there is." Booker said, leaping from behind the bushes. "Who the fuck do you think you are, spouting your bullshit in our territory, huh?" He scorned. The look in his eye was close to lethal as he gave them no time to speak, pouncing on the closest man, throwing punches left and right. "If you know what's best for you, run."

"Fuck? Who the hell are you?" The man who had promptly been punched, punched back. Despite his scrawny apprearance, he was a good fighter who could rival even Booker's fists. The other gangster was nowhere to be seen.

Peter gives June a comforting smile. There are only two Vipers, and Booker's already laying into them. He pats June's shoulder to gently get her attention again. "I'm going to help Booker. The other gangster's gone, I think."

He jumps out of the bushes with a loud yell and barrels into the Viper with fists flying. "Leave Booker alone! And get off our turf before we paste you into the concrete!" he barks. Of course, Peter would never intentionally kill someone. But he's not above a little roughing up. Especially when his friend and gang territory are in danger.

Meanwhile, the mysteriously vanished gangster isn't so vanished. He creeps up behind the bushes and draws his knife. Then he lunges forward and attempts to yank June into a choke hold. He presses the knife against her neck and tries to drag her out towards the fight.

"Hey! You Ravens want to keep your bird alive, or not?" he calls out. "Clear away from Cornrow and maybe I'll give her back unharmed. Take a step closer, and the knife goes deeper."

Peter freezes and whips around with wide eyes. Then he tries to yank Booker away from the other gangster. "Booker! Booker, stop! They've got June!" he bursts out. His heart thuds in his chest. He knows the Vipers all too well. Unlike him and the Ravens, they tend not to leave their victims alive. Even some of the people who are jumped into the gang. If they're going to save June, they've got to be extra cautious about it.

The gangster holding June hostage smirks and nods. "That's right. Back off Cornrow. And take a few extra steps back towards the street while you're at it." He's not planning on giving June back. The Vipers have a shortage of female gangsters, and if the Ravens are trying to train this girl in, she must be something special.

June nods, appreciative of Peter's comfort. She watches as he leaps out and joins Booker in the brawl. She stayed put as Booker had instructed, laying low as to blend into the background. Yet, she couldn't quite help but feel a little useless. Wait, of course! This was a perfect opportunity to gain evidence! She went to pull out her cell phone, before realizing that it had been left back at the base.

Before she could properly be dissapointed, a pair of rough hands grabbed her from behind and pulled her up. Instinctively, June kicked and thrashed, though in vain, that didn't stop her from struggling with all her might. She froze, however, when she felt a cold blade press against her throat. It was dull, thus all the more dangerous.

She watched as the previously tussling men laid off each other, wincing when she saw the pure fear in Peter's eyes. No, no, she was fine. He didn't have to look so fearful for her. It almost hurt her to watch him so petrified for her.

"Fucking hell." Booker cursed, throwing back the gangster by the collar. He had had doubts on bringing her with them, and all of them were being confirmed. "Okay, you sick bastards. We laid off. Now give her back." He spit through gritted teeth. It took every fiber of his will power to not rip through the men then and there.

"Hm. Cornrow, what'd'ya say?"

"I say, we'll be borrowing her for a bit. Sorry for the inconvenience. We may or may not give her back. No guarantees." He snickers. Booker growls, almost about to lunge for him.

"Ah-ah-ah. We have your rag doll." The man holding June cautions, lifting her a bit for emphasis. "Bye, now."

As her capturer spoke, it gave June time to think. His first mistake. Racking her memory, she tried to remember the basics of self defense. She wasn't trained in any martial arts, nor did she know anyone that was, but she had read up on it a while back, and she was banking on that to get her through this. The man's grip on her loosened slightly, and she noticed he began to drag her back. His second mistake, an opening.

A reoccurring theme within basic self defense was to go for the balls, so she did just that. June, bless her height, was short enough so that her elbow was in line with her captor's crotch. And with a swift backwards movement, she aimed for the crotch. Almost immediately, he let out a low groan and let his grip on her slip, his knife reflexively digging into her neck. June winced, but slipped away just in the nick of time.

He recovered quicker than June would've hoped, lunging toward her. His third mistake. She sprinted to the nearest garbage bin and ripped off the lid, whipping around to bash his head in. Upon his momentary pain, she kneed him once again in the crotch and absolutely ran for her life. She hopped the bushes and threw herself onto Peter, clinging onto him as her fingertips dug into the back of his shirt. Despite her bravery, she was still absolutely terrified.

The second gangster stood with his jaw hanging open. He hadn't anticipated the girl to save herself.

"If you take her," Peter snarls, clenching his fists, "You better tell Cobra Peter's coming home. And I'm not gonna be happy about it." He's ready to follow the gangsters on the instant to ensure June's safety.

Then June escapes and gives her captor a good beating in the process. Peter melts in relief and sighs as she runs into his arms, and he wraps her in a gentle but firm hug. "You okay?" he asks, glancing at her neck to check if there are any injuries.

Booker cracks both his neck and his knuckles. Then he gives the Vipers a dark grin and smirks. "Don't have our bird now, do you?" he asks. He's through playing games. Despite the girl being able to defend herself, he's not about to give the gangsters a second opportunity to attack. He whips his gun out, and then aims for Cornrow's kneecap. He doesn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

Cornrow screams in pain and collapses on the ground, hands turning white as he grips his leg tightly and rocks back and forth on the hard concrete. The other gangster is still staggering to his feet.

Booker spits and narrows his eyes. "Get the hell off our turf," he growls. "And if we ever catch you here again, we'll take more than a kneecap. Got it?" Once he's sure both Vipers are out of commission, he crosses his arms and nods to Peter and June. "I think we'll be fine now. Let's get back to Octopus and Filbert and report."

(Ahhh sorry this one is so short! I didn't want to jump too far ahead without knowing how badly injured June was ;w; )