Under Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fin sniffed when he smelled the chemicals in the air.
He bristled a little at the thought of going back in that tub, because he did in fact absorb those things through his skin.
That's why he chose to live on a beach really far from any chemical dumping sites.
As the smell got stronger he set the book aside and hopped to the bathroom.
Man did it stink now!
"U-Um...that stuff is poison to us..."
It was also poisonous to humans, but not as strongly.
He would need to soak in water soon and it definitely couldn't be that bathtub if he'd already used the chemicals in it.
Fin's eyes were on the bottle as if it were a shark ready to strike.
Nasty little things the humans have created.

"That's why you'll stay in the bathroom down stairs, not up here." Alexander called over his shoulder, seeing as he was in the upstairs bathroom, scrubbing the tub - he wouldn't clean the other tub until the other was out of the house, that way he wouldn't get poisoned by the chemicals. He brushed back his hair as he continued to clean the tub, soon scrubbing the toilet and the ground. Once done with that, it would be a shame if the other fell ill in his care. He sat back once he finished his tasks. Soon, Alexander arose from where he was and began to wash his hands in the sink, that way he wouldn't transmit any of it to the other, "Should I take you down stairs?" He asked, seeing as that was where more of the books were - all the ones within his study were nonfiction and filled with sheets of loose leaf paper, as well as the fact that most of what he had were journals.

Fin nodded but was still not quite liking the smells.
How did humans use those things without being hurt?
"I'll go myself..."
The chemicals, even rinsed, were probably still on his hands and if he touched Fin he might get sick.
And a sick mer with an injury?
Yeah, doesn't end well, even if it he wasn't in the water.
As he moved Fin was going over things in his mind.
He was curious about how humans lived, and since he obviously wasn't a danger to them, maybe he could ask about some stuff.
"Can I ask you about being human?"
As he waited for an answer he carefully headed downstairs, one slow step at a time.
Thank god for railings!

When he landed on the floor a few minutes later he hopped over to the sofa and fell onto it with a sigh.
Phew!
Gravity out of the water wore you down pretty darn well.

Alexander left the bathroom when his hands were cleaned, he made his way down the stairs and he managed to move to the leather couch that was at a right angle of the other couch where Fin sat. "Hm? Sure, ask as many questions as you want..." He murmured, seeing as he didn't seem to mind at all. Humans weren't being studied, they were all too well known, though their habits and life styles varied tremendously from one another they were all made up of the same things. "What kind of questions did you have?" He furrowed his brows and looked over at Fin, he was actually surprised the other wanted to engage in more conversation - he figured the elusive creature that he met on the beach would still want to keep his distance from him. Clearly not though, he was a creature of social standers though, maybe he just needed a small amount of companionship? And because Alexander was the only one that was within distance of the other, he figured that's why the other wanted to talk to him.

"Well, first off I want to know how you guys get your food.
I heard of a supermarket. What are they like?
Is there like, mini oceans of food and a farm place?"
Oh that is one place he'd always wanted to visit. A farm!
He loved vegetables!

"Do they have vegetables and candy bars there?!"
His excitement was making a smile form on his face.
"Can we maybe, go to one? I-I can put on a shirt to cover my gills!"
As long as he soaked he shouldn't have any trouble for a couple hours.
"Please?!"
He had a lot more questions he wanted to ask but right now he wanted to go to the supermarket!
Maybe he'll ask them on the way there if they went.

"Well, we get our produce and dairy from farms, and some things are imported from other nations. Live stock that we have are mostly on farms and then a lot of our foods get sent to grocery stores, and some foods get sent to factories to be produced in large masses, like candy and bread and several other things." Alexander explained, upon the want to go to a farm, he looked rather confused as to why he would want to go - did they have enough time to do those things? He pondered it a moment before he gave a sigh, "Alright - we'll go later today..." Maybe a petting farm would be best, that way he can see some new animals and maybe explore a bit.

"Okay!"
If he still had the ten dollars he'd found on the beach he'd totally buy vegetables with it!
Sure the candy bars were good, but vegetables were better!
Yes, he was a weird littler merman.
"So um...do you have pets?"
Well, obviously he didn't judging from his home and the lack of them.
"I mean uh, never mind.
Is there like, a place you get pets?
Can human's be each others' pets?"
He'd seen plenty of dogs on the beach and heard about pet birds and cats...though have a seagull as a pet?
Hell no.
"Do you have beer? I've seen people drinking that all the time on the beach.
What does it taste like?
Does it make you stupid? cause I think the people on the beach drink so much it does..."
Though he'd never drank enough water to go crazy, and he lived in it.
There had to be something in a beer that made humans weird.

"I used to have a few pets, though I don't anymore - they passed away. But there are pet stores you can purchase animals from, and you can ask people who breed or are selling their pets, and those who have no homes and were abandon go to shelters and pounds where you can also adopt them." Alexander responded to the other's questions, hoping to expand his knowledge and help him out along the way, maybe clear a few things. "As far as beer, yea I have it in the fridge and I enjoy the drink. It can make you act a bit stupid from time to time if you drink too much, and some drinks are stronger than beer. It's alcohol that makes people act up." He murmured to the other as he leaned back on the couch.

"Ah...so those kids on the beach were always drinking too much alcohol then.
That's why they always seemed much more stupid at the end of the night."
It was rather funny to Fin.
Sure humans didn't seem to have many predators on land, but to make yourself stupid on purpose?
Heck, it even seemed like they were having fun!
He just couldn't see himself ever getting drunk...especially in the water!
That would definitely get him eaten in seconds.

"Hey...does your talking box work?"
He'd walked by them a billion times in stores but never bothered to think that it had a different name.
It always looked cool seeing another person talking to you, or an animal on the other side of the screen.
Sure he liked reading a lot more, but he was always curious about the talking boxes too.

"You mean the TV? Yea, it works perfectly fine." Alexander looked to the large television sitting on a massive desk that was settled against the wall, hosting the flat screen, but it was nothing special, a friend gave it to him when they bought another. He grabbed the remote and turned on the TV in hopes to catch the other's attention, once he turned it to an interesting channel, he reached under the couch and pulled out his laptop. He flipped it open and went to Google where he proceeded to search for a local petting farm they could perhaps go to by two in the afternoon, seeing as it was still early and they would need time to get ready and head out.

As soon as the TV was turned on Fin stared.
It was animal planet, and there was a special on the oceans on.
He couldn't help but lean forward as a spinner dolphin jumped in the air, then vanished back beneath the waves as another, then another, did their flips.
He loved playing with them!
There was a pod in the bay he always swam with when they came to the warmer waters to mess around.
Fin was so focused on the dolphins that when the screen flipped to a great white shark he literally jumped and hissed at the screen.
His fangs were in full view as well as the gills along his side flaring.
The picture changed and the dolphins began messing with the shark.
Fin blinked, then quickly calmed himself down as he realized it really was just a picture.
Bah, those habits from being in the ocean so long were kinda automatic, even if it was just a picture on a screen.
Well, ether way, he was enrapt in the show.

Alexander jolted at the loud hiss and blinked, looking at the other in slight shock - he had HD and the images seemed more life ilike as hey continued to flicker on the screen. "Calm down, you're safe in here - everything on there is going to stay on there." He assured the other, only waiting until he calmed down to look at the computer screen and tap on the key board attached to it - scrolling with the finger touch pad rather than a mouse. He soon managed to find a farm that hosted as a petting zoo and grabbed his phone, punching in the numbers so that he knew where to go. He;d have to put this in the car's GPS also, but that could wait until two when the zoo opened up after grooming and feeding the live stock.

Fin nodded, calming down as he watched the dolphins swim around catching fish.
The shark had given up, not wanting to waste the energy.
Dolphins were pretty darn fast if they wanted to be...
Man, now he really wanted to go swimming.
His leg was feeling much better after that dose of salt, so maybe he could start swimming again in the shallow pools tomorrow or the day after.

When he heard Alex talking on the phone he turned, eyes widening at the conversation.
A petting zoo?
What was that??
He kind of knew petting was touching something, but what was a zoo?

When Alexander hung up Fin scooted a bit closer.
"What's a petting zoo?"
Maybe it was something that had to do with pets?
Petting pets?
Hmmm...

"A petting zoo is a place where they have a bunch of animals that you're allowed to touch and ask questioned about, sometimes you get to feed them." He stated as he stood up, shutting off the computer and pushing it to the side before he walked into his bedroom, he came out just a few minutes later with a shirt, socks, shoes, and shorts for the other to wear. "Here, put these on and we can head off." The outfit consisted of basketball shorts, ankle high socks, simple Converses, and a mere grey shirt with a black logo covering the front and back of it. They were smaller and no longer fit Alexander, thus why he was lending it to Fin, "The faster you get it on, the faster we can get there."

Fin eyed the clothing with hesitation.
He did want to go pet some land animals and definitely had plenty of questions about then, but shoes...and socks?
Definitely not something he liked.
Either way, he reached over and grabbed the items.
The shirt went on first, though he made a face as it itched his gills.
After that he stood up and tugged on the shorts, then forewent the socks and just put on shoes.
He really didn't like those fuzzy things on his feet.
Made him feel like he was stuck in the same or seaweed!

"Um...should we rewrap my leg?"
Maybe that's what the socks were for, but again, he hated those things.
The bite had general healed, though the marks of the shark were still obvious and the skin was still red and partially scabbed over.

"Yea, just wait here." Alexander had seen the distasteful look the other made when he was putting on the clothing and left for his bedroom, he went into the bathroom and grabbed his medical items before he returned to the other, he lifted Fin's leg so it was on the coffee table before he examined the wound. It had scabbed over rather well, nothing was out of the ordinary - if wet it would probably peel off, but with little or no bleeding, same with pain. He was basically ready to be set back in the ocean. He grabbed a few ointments and lathered them on the other's leg to help it heal over night since it was already in that stage of near completion. He then began to dress the wound, being careful so he didn't scrape off a scab, once he had it tapped and in place, he put the items away and stepped back out. "Alright, let's get going, shall we?" He murmured as he grabbed his needed things, such as keys, phone, and wallet.

Fin did his best to stay still as his leg was bandaged up.
He wasn't a fan of the weird ointments or bandages but knew it was the better idea.
Infection was very obvious to see with land creatures and he didn't want that to happen.
If his fluke got infected he'd be dead in the water.
Once it was done being tended he got up and followed Alexander out...only to stop before his car.
Uh.
Didn't really like those.
"A-Are we...going in that?"
He pointed at the thing, taking a step back with hesitation.
Definitely not wanting to ride in those heavy metal things.
"Can we just walk...?"

"How else would we get there?" He questioned with a raised brow before hearing the mention of walking, giving a snort. "No, it's faster this way, by the time we get there, they'll be closed." He said as he unlocked the doors and stepped into the driver's side, though let his door stay open as he called out to the other from where he sat. "I've been driving for years, I'm rather sure it's safe to drive with me, just get in." He shut his door and waited for Fin to enter the car before he would start it, knowing that the roar of the engine might scare the aquatic mammal.

Status
Not open for further replies.