2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Romance, Yaoi, Fantasy, Historical, Modern, Horror; anything really, I'll try my hand at something once.
Every form of entertainment has a main cast of characters that people either hate or love. There is always that one characters in a movie/tv show/book/video game that you love like crazy but no one seems to remember. That person that doesn't the attention you think they deserve.

I, like anyone else, have a multitude of these characters, but one, who has been on my mind for a while, is Octavious from the 1950 Disney movie Cinderella. Your probably wondering "Who the hell is Octavious??" Octavious is the full name of this character, but his nickname, a name most know him by, is Gus; one of the mice in the movie Cinderella. To me, he (along with the other mice) were the only redeeming quality to the movie and to this day, I wish they had spent a bit more time on Gus and his friends. Then again, the story was based around Cinderella not Cinderella and friends, but I can dream.

Who are your favorite under-rated characters?
They can be from a movie, tv show, book or video game.

the three soilders from Mulan and Mulan II...
No one even remembers their names except ling, but ling is a easy stereotypical guess

Ling - skinny funny one
Jin Po - Kind hearted chubby one
Yao - KING OF THE ROCK

Cabbage merchant in the Avatar: The Last Airbender series.

I loved him as well!

the three soilders from Mulan and Mulan II...
No one even remembers their names except ling, but ling is a easy stereotypical guess

Ling - skinny funny one
Jin Po - Kind hearted chubby one
Yao - KING OF THE ROCK
Those three are another group on my list. I quiz people at times to tell me their names.

Lennier & Vir: Two low-key sidekicks, one bar.

Badger:
2386ed4898770ffff8a16a7f6ca8f3dd.jpg

Samwise Gamgee in The Lord of the Rings, although thanks to the relatively recent internet-wide sharing of some images explaining his greatness he is more appreciated now than ever before. Lots of people see him as just kind of the sidekick, Frodo's manservant, a simple little nerd who's just kind of along for the ride. In reality he was the one thing that kept Frodo moving forward, the solid rock of hope and confidence that Frodo could cling to in times of need. Without Sam, Frodo would have turned back or died many times over on their perilous quest, but the only time I can recall Frodo saving Sam instead was when Sam risked his own life to follow his friend at the end of the first book/movie, so even that was something very highly focused on Sam being there for Frodo.

Basically Sam was the best heterosexual life partner any hobbit could have ever hoped for, and people not realizing that makes him very underrated.

Samwise Gamgee in The Lord of the Rings, although thanks to the relatively recent internet-wide sharing of some images explaining his greatness he is more appreciated now than ever before. Lots of people see him as just kind of the sidekick, Frodo's manservant, a simple little nerd who's just kind of along for the ride. In reality he was the one thing that kept Frodo moving forward, the solid rock of hope and confidence that Frodo could cling to in times of need. Without Sam, Frodo would have turned back or died many times over on their perilous quest, but the only time I can recall Frodo saving Sam instead was when Sam risked his own life to follow his friend at the end of the first book/movie, so even that was something very highly focused on Sam being there for Frodo.

Basically Sam was the best heterosexual life partner any hobbit could have ever hoped for, and people not realizing that makes him very underrated.
The weird thing is, as you said, people have realized this.

I personally didn't consider him a secondary character. Merry and Pippin, yeah, but he was involved pretty much beginning to end.

Not trying to argue, just voicing my opinion.

Lennier & Vir: Two low-key sidekicks, one bar.
HOW ARE THESE GUYS UNDERAPPRECIATED?

They're main characters who did stuff and were grounded emotional foils!

Really, what you're looking for from Babylon 5 are the Pak'ma'ra. Underappreciated omnivores, good singing voice!

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Lawkheart
The weird thing is, as you said, people have realized this.

I personally didn't consider him a secondary character. Merry and Pippin, yeah, but he was involved pretty much beginning to end.

Not trying to argue, just voicing my opinion.
Yup, he's starting to get the recognition he deserves, but it was worth bringing up because of the history of him being ignored. I also couldn't think of any other character that fit for this thread off the top of my head, so I just rolled with it. :P

• Bucket of Rainbows
HOW ARE THESE GUYS UNDERAPPRECIATED?

They're main characters who did stuff and were grounded emotional foils!
One dies an outcast in the telepath wars and the other becomes ruler of an empire because nobody else qualified is available. As well, while they both have moments of conflict, they were both present in a five-season long well written space opera: Of course they had occasional moments of awesome. The thing is, is that the majority of what they do ends up being comedic relief or played to uplift other characters, like Vir's comparative righteousness balancing out Londo's willingness to tread into darkness. Both of them disappear for multiple episodes and there's no major consequence as a result of their omission.

They're side characters, and their actions are rarely, if ever appreciated within the context of the universe. Plus their most memorable moments are when they do comedic things. So to me, these two qualify: Even the writers seem to spotlight their role in life as being over-glorified henchmen rather than integral story characters. :ferret:

• Bucket of Rainbows
tumblr_inline_mw3ynqXHw51s87dfu.gif

He was the best king the 7 Kingdoms ever had. :P

In all seriousness though?
I'm going to have to pick Kenny from the Walking Dead.

tumblr_mf54kjM33I1qe1j63o3_500.gif

Most people seem to see him has just some stubborn annoying tag along.
But in all honesty most of that hate seems to stem from the fact he doesn't blindly follow your every word.

People have been spoiled from a lot of games today to simply expect everyone to follow your every word without question.
So when someone like Kenny doesn't, who has his own opinions, and doesn't back down from them he's seen as stubborn.
Rather than you know, being an actual human being with their own self value.

And throughout the series he's never even becomes a bad guy.
Yea he's not perfect and has his limits.
And over the series you see him slowly falling to the stress and pressures of surviving through an apocalypse.
But that makes it more realistic in my mind, I mean who wouldn't slowly be decaying inside from such a situation?
And in the end he still remains loyal to those who travels with.

*Spoilers incoming*

Rather than sneaking out and leaving over night like most of the others did.
Right to the end, where if you end up shooting him when he acts out he's actually happy.
He realizes he went out of control, and he's happy that you were able to stop him and give him some peace.
And if you don't shoot him, he becomes outright willing to sacrifice everything he has left in order to give you a decent life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hana
PEEVES.

I can't even post a picture because he was so underrated he did not make it into the movies.

-sob-

gwNptap.jpg

Best answer.

All of the Saving Private Ryan Characters were favorites, but T-4 Medic Wade was one of the most underappreciated, I think:
wade-03-large.jpg

And then this happened and I was sad:
BEeFme5CIAAfmsk.jpg:large

And not many people remember Wade, even though he is in like half the movie, which is also sad.

All of the Saving Private Ryan Characters were favorites, but T-4 Medic Wade was one of the most underappreciated, I think:
wade-03-large.jpg

And then this happened and I was sad:
BEeFme5CIAAfmsk.jpg:large

And not many people remember Wade, even though he is in like half the movie, which is also sad.
i'd say everyone who wasn't private ryan or tom hanks would count in that movie

i dont remember ANY of their names

Mole from Atlantis the Lost Empire
mole.jpg

I loved this movie when it came out. Out of the many characters, he was my favorite.
When ever I say, "I'm so excited!" I say it in his voice!
And his fascination with dirt is just funny.

And, lets not forget these two (Who are the main reason as to why I bothered watching the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.)
pirates4lg.jpg

Pintel and Ragetti

ADRIC.

THE DOCTOR WHO COMPANION THAT EVERYONE HATES BUT ME.

:<

Would elaborate but class is a thing. Bluh.

Status
Not open for further replies.