Uncontrolled

• Thread starter Jae- The nonexistant
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jaylin hummed thoughtfully looking over at the helicopter Alex had pointed out. She was skeptical, but felt she had no choice but to trust Alex. Jaylin was tired of traveling alone, plus it was more dangerous that way. Jaylin gave a quick nod before walking towards the center of the roof.
Layiing her back, Jaylin looked up at the stars. Sighing almost forlornly Jaylin let her mind wander, for the first time in a long time, Jaylin was...relaxed. Well relaxed in comparison to how rigid and tense she usually is.
The stars offered some sense of surrealism, like maybe this was all bad dream and she would wake up and everything would be okay again. Her mother and father would be watching television in their small two bedroom apartment, while her baby sister ran excitedly through the house showing everyone her toy she had excavated from her toy box.
Jaylin shook her head with a chuckle, then sighed sadly. Those times were another world, another universe really. Jaylin felt the sting in her eyes, as a hot tear rolled down her cheek. The pain would never go away, that much was apparent, she just wished it would be the numb ache instead of the searing sting it was. Jaylin rolled her eyes at her own melodramatic thoughts in an effort to ease away her emotions. Now was not the time.
"What was your family like Alex?" Jaylin found herself asking the question before it fully formed in her mind. "Oh...uh...nevermind." Jaylin quickly realized what doors she could be opening and immediately regretted it. "Sorry...."

Alex looked down at the streets below when Jaylin spoke, asking the question. "I had no family." She said simply, as if it where a simple fact in a book of records. She looked at Jaylin. "No family, but still the loss of so many." she shook her head, walking around the roof, watching the steel beneath her feet. "Solid." she muttered before sitting back down. "Why?" she asked curiously, seemingly unaffected by the question.

Jaylin paused. Why did she ask that? "I...dunno..." Jaylin kept her eyes on the stars, the only sliver of her previous life she had left. "Just, I was thinking about mine, so I guess, I was just curious. Jaylin smiled at Alex. How she could muster a smile at this time, no one knew but hey, Jaylin wasn't one to complain.
"!" Jaylin quickly went over to the side of the building. "Someone's coming. " Jaylin said quietly looking back at Alex.

"Hmm?" Alex closed her eye, going completely silent. As she listened, she paled. "Mya.." she breathed, her eyes opening. She turned to Bruso. "Stay here and keep the girl protected." she motioned to the sleeping child and turned to Jaylin. "No matter what you hear, keep them here." she said. "Okay? I need to take care of Mya."

Mya skipped around the corner, beaming. She sang her song, loud, clear, giggling. "Ashes ashes, fall from the sky. People, people, all dead and scary. Killing, hurting, that's what they do. Smiling smiling I skip around the town." She sung as she skipped towards their hideout.

Jaylin felt her blood run cold. The last time she had found a survivor then had mentioned an Mya, and it scared the hell out of her. She gave a curt nod and guarded the door. Her heart thumped in her chest. Jaylin was sure everyone could hear it pound. Even the infected didn't scare her as much as the rumors of Mya had.
Every so often, Jaylin would glance back and check on the litte girl. She was around the same age her sister would have been.

Alex nodded and stepped off the roof, landing silently on her feet, pushing off the ground with her hand and sprinting out of sight, pulling her knife out as she ran. As she turned the corner, she almost ran into the young girl. "Mya!" she growled.

Mya looked up and smiled, her pointy teeth glinted. "Alex! Sissy!"

Alex twirled the knife. "I'm not your sister."

"By lab you are!" Mya giggled, taking a defensive stance. Suddenly, her child-likeness disappeared and she hissed in anger at Alex.

Alex took her own defensive stance, narrowing her eyes. "Can't you just leave? I have people to protect.."

"Oh? Finally go there on time?!" Mya laughed, the evil cackle echoing down the allys.

Alex grimaced. "Yes. I did." she growled.

Mya threw her hands in the air. "I surrender, miss high-and-mighty!" she giggled.

Alex didn't give in. "Yeah right." she raised her arm.

Mya smirked. "You know me too well Alexandria." within seconds she had jumped, her teeth ripping a chunk from Alex's arm.

Caught of guard by the sudden attack, Alex fell backwards, but her knife sank into Mya's side.

Mya whimpered from the stab in her ribs and let go of the arm. She narrowed her eyes at the sinking sun. "Lucky timing.." she said, backing away and starting to run off, despite the injury.

Alex sat up, looking at her arm. She sighed, holding it as she made her way back to their base, pulling a bandage from her backpack and wrapping it around her arm. "Mya..one day.."

Jaylin stepped in front of Alex as soon as Mya disappeared. "Is that who everyone is so afraid of?" The fear was clear in Jaylin's voice despite her attempt to mask it through curiosity. From what she saw, though, confirmed the rumors she had heard.
"How does she know you?" Jaylin ventured a little more hoping to get some kind of knowledge of this...this...what was Mya anyway? Her pointed teath were definitely not human but she surely wasn't an infected. Jaylin's curious hazel eyes gazed off in the direction the girl had fled. "What on earth is she?" Jaylin hadn't realized she had whispered her thoughts to Alex.

Alex didn't talk while she wrapped her arm, careful not to tie it too tight. "Come on. I'll explain on the way back." she said carefully, double-tieing the knot. "Mya is the version of the infected before it went uncontrolled." she said before walking towards their 'base'.

Jaylin paused in her steps before having to run a short ways to catch back up with Alex. "There was a controlled version? What for and how did it go haywire?" There was a slew of questions bubbling up inside her. She never knew there had been a controlled version to the virus, well that is if you want to call Mya controlled.

"Used to be. Mya was created in the lab, and she was the only person it ever reacted well with..if..well, if you call that reacting well." she sighed. "She knows me..from the labs." she said, watching ahead with an unwavering gaze.

"So...you used to work in the labs? You developed this?" Jaylin wasn't accusatory rather than re-establishing what she had heard so that it sunk in. "Why would they create this? What's the point?" That had always been Jaylin's top question. Why did they create the virus. Since when had virus's ever benefited the human race. Didn't these scientists watch movies? Didn't they know what happens when they mess with biochemical warfare?

Alex rubbed the back of her neck with her uninjured arm. "I..I didn't work in the labs." she said. "I'm another experiment.." she looked away from Jaylin. "no family- raised from a small bacterial substance. Enhanced abilities...I am..what..I.." she shook her head and sighed. "That's not important now. We need to get back to the other two and you need to sleep." she said. "Everyone needs to sleep."

Jaylin winced. "Aw man, I really didn't mean to pull up anything uncomfortable." Damn, she was really bad at this socializing thing huh. With a huff Jaylin quickly followed Alex back to the rooftop. The little girl was still asleep, but seemed to be having trouble with a nightmare. Jaylin gently scooped her up and rocked her back and forth with a slight bounce. She began singing the child her baby sister's favorite lullaby. The child soon fell back into a calm sleep in Jaylin's arms. "Kind of gives you hope this will all be over soon huh." Jaylin said softly to Bruso and Alex.

Alex shook her head. "Not bad memories..bad reactions." she said as they reached the roof. She slowly walked around the edge of the roof, scouting. She did this over and over, as if looking for a shadow that moves in the wrong direction. "I guess..maybe a little." she said in reply to Jaylin's comment.

As she rocked the child, Jaylin felt her eyelids grow heavy. she fought to keep her eyes open but was surely failing . Jaylin sat, child in her lap, back resting on the door to the roof and slowly drifted into sleep . For the first time in three months Jaylin slept peacefully.

Alex glanced at Jaylin and noticed she had fallen asleep. Alex stopped pacing and sat down, silent. She did not want to wake either of them. She looked up at the sky, counting the stars as she thought, planning the next day.

The sun slipped past the first piece of land only an hour after Jaylin had closed her eyes. The sky was a mixture of vibrant hues of pink, red, and orange. Despite the direct sunlight breaking through, neither of the girls stirred once in their sleep, too enrapt in their fantasy to face reality so soon.

Alex watched the stars disappear slowly behind the vibrant hues of light. She sighed quietly, standing and looking around at the group. Finally...people...real, people. She thought silently, looking out over the city as the wind blew.

All of a sudden, Jaylin's eyes flew open. She quickly handed the girl over to Alex and pulled out her rifle. Looking through the scope, Jaylin fired a single round before standing. "We need to go, relatively close to right fucking now." A few yards away now laid the body of an infected. It had come from the thick layer of trees a few feet behind it. Through all of the foliage it was hard to tell if it had been the only one but infected were known for travelling in not only little packs but more often, a large mob. They evolved and learned quickly. They had figured out that if they sent one, or even a small group of them forward and few to none returned, there was food very nearby. "Yeah, we need to go." Within the few seconds, a see of infected ushered forth from the trees. "They must have been laying in wait all night.' Jaylin thought to herself. They were fast but for a mob this size, this fast, they had to have planned this, or told. Jaylin's mind flashed to Mya but quickly erased it. She didn't know much about the girl, but something told her that Mya wasn't one to let others take the fun away from her. She liked to do it herself.

Alex cursed silently, taking ten steps from the edge of the roof. She took a running start and leaped, catching the six-foot away building with her hand and hauling herself up. She hopped into the pilot's seat, turning on the mic. "Hold on, RSCU coming." she said, buckling in and starting the engine, turning the mic off. "Come on baby..start for me.." she whispered. The engine whirred to life and she rose the helicopter, hovering over the building and lowering the ladder.

The infected charged on the building, yelling. The girl woke up, whimpering, the noises starting to make her cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.