GENERAL

Name: Grinnal Greyfellow
Pronunciation: Grin-nahl Grae-fell-oh
Nickname: Grin, Grin the Great
Species: Halfling
Date of Birth: Autum; Month 7
Zodiac: Tolki
Place of Birth: Caerdean; Northwood
"It was a love like no other. I knew what pure bliss was. It was riding atop mah wife towards the sunset. What? Are you implyin' I can't love and marrah a centaur? I am appalled. How could yah? It's good to know I'm in the company of vile racists. Though, a bit of coin and information would make the hurt go away."

APPEARANCE

Eye Color: Gold
Hair Color: Blond
Hair Style/Length: Undercut Mohawk
Height: 4'0"
Weight: 78lbs
Body Type: Muscular
Body Modifications/Accessories: Has a pale tattoo of branches that shoots up his nose and along his cheeks to his forehead. It is nothing extreme and usually only stands out vividly if under extreme or magical light.

Written Appearance: Like most halfings, Grin is short in stature and prone to being mistaken for a child. Yet, upon further inspection one can find undeniable evidence that Grin is a full grown man, well halfling, despite his lack of height. He has a muscular build and is prone to wearing swaths of armor, leather, and fur that may not cover every inch of skin. One can see sun-darkened strips of flesh around his elbows, knees, ankles, and lower midriff. According to him, it is for agility and athletics. His tanned skin is striped with a few scars and pocks from dangerous encounters he's had throughout the years. His face remains mostly untouched except for a gash over his lips. Even when he closes them and smiles, one can still see a hint of teeth. He has dull golden eyes, a strong brow, and plucky cheekbones. His nose is turned down and the bridge of it is raised from years of abuse--none that he provided, of course.

PERSONALITY

Personality Traits:
▷ Humorous: Prone to tell jokes and laugh at his own, Grin is the sort to live up to his nickname. It is rare for him not to find a situation humorous and work that into his interactions.
▷ Affable: He is the best friend you never knew you had. Always interested in your story and your emotions, he'll ply himself into your thoughts and troubles. If he can't ease your troubles with words, he'll do so with liquor.
▷ Reactionary: Grin has a tendency to react more on knee-jerk than actually thinking and planning things through. It is the entire reason he is in his mess.
▷ Earthly: No matter the yarn he spins, his beliefs and knowledge are firmly rooted in the practical and tangible. He's not one to believe in matters of fancy unless someone can prove them to him. That might be rooted in his need for that "nugget of truth" when weaving a story.

Strengths:
▷ Social Chameleon
▷ Loves to Talk
▷ Quick Witted
▷ Intuitive

Weaknesses:
▷ Uneducated
▷ Heart on Sleeve
▷ Loves to Talk
▷ Short Man Syndrome

Quirks:
▷ His accent deeply thickens when he is stressed or angry.
▷ Regards pixys superior to fairies. Is quite prejudice to them.

MBPT: ESTJ

D&D Alignment: Chaotic Good

DETAILS

Inventory:
▷ Two daggers, sharp with deep etchings that call back to the halfling lifestyle.
▷ A wrist mounted crossbow.
▷ Travelling gear: flint, rations, water, bed roll, twince, whet stone, metal cup, paring knife, leather mending kit, basic oil, and rope.
▷ Journal

Education: Basic Halfling Education

Character Arcs/Plots:
▷ What he truly seeks is his kin. Not in blood, no. The other was a pixy, and one of Grin's closest friends. He entered a Contract that was binding and dangerous. The man that enacted it had a darkness about him that Grin couldn't quite shake. When his friend left the protection of the halfings, Grin laid awake at night. He knew something was wrong. So, he seeks him out.
▷ Can and will play himself off as anything to find out who, or what, made a Contract with his pixy friend and to what end.
▷ Possible espionage, sabotage, spying, etc. for someone that can help him with his search. Possible tutor for noble's children that wish for them to be more "worldly." Entertainer for rich. Any sort of job that would give him information and possibly leverage.

RELATIONS

Social
  • Loc: A pixy and Grin's friend. He's the one that Grin is trying to find.
  • Get Sugarshow: a halfling merchant that has rooted himself in the "finer" merchandise, and has become a great tool for Grin getting and using connections.
Familial
  • Grimmal Greyfellow: Father
  • Neriaan Greyfellow: Mother
  • Patchee Greyfellow: Sister
  • Neris Greyfellow: Sister
  • Anise Greyfellow: Sister
  • Satina Greyfellow: Sister
  • Orana Greyfellow: Sister
  • Fayora Greyfellow: Sister

ARMAMENTS

Magic Tier(s): Middling

Attuned Element(s): Invocation

Fleuntia: Solis

Main Weapon:
▷ Dual Daggers: They are of halfling make and well crafted and well-kempt by Grin. They have halfling words and symbols etched across them.

Secondary Weapon:
▷ Wrist Crossbow: A contraption that only takes a movement of his wrist to fire the bold. It only holds three bolts at a time but it is subtle and stealthy. It is fully capable of killing a man if used in the right way.

HISTORY

Grin was the sole male in a house of females. He had six sisters. He sought tranquility in the forest and ironically with the pixys. He became friends with one pixy in particular. His name was Loc, and he was quite loud and vivacious. They had so many storytellying contests. Usually, Loc won. Yet, in hopes of beating his magical friend, Grin visted outside the halfling's forests. He spoke to many travelers and questioned their stories. Slowly he grew into the most worldly of the halflings within the woods. This lent him a bit of leverage but not much.

As Grin grew older, he and Loc became closer friends. Yet, their friendship would soon be tested. A man, dark in cloak and nature, entered the woods and demanded a Contract with a pixy. Grin ran to Loc and told him to hide. He viewed Loc as one of the few of the pixys capable of understanding beyond the forest. Loc would be perfect for this man, so the pixy thought, but Grin felt as if the man had a darkness that no one could control. Loc laughed and rebuffed Grin's warnings. Instead, he approached the man and questioned about a future contract. The man was quick to acknowledge and appease Loc. Next thing Grin knew, he was drawing the entire thing up.

Grin thought he understood the wording in the Contract. Yet, every night he laid awake wondering what he subjugated Loc to. He was a little angry when the entire situation happened. Well, maybe he was more than "a little angry." Still, he should have been more vigilant that day. He still remembered glimpses of words. They mostly had to do with subjugation and control.

Finally, Grin had been tormented by his nightmares enough. He left the halfling home in hopes of finding Loc and his "master," and stopping them both from committing a very deadly crime.

WRITING SAMPLE

In retrospect, Grin should never have bitten the man. Then again, he wasn't fond of being pulled up by the nape of his neck while ildy perusing weapons at the smith's stall.
The festival roared like a dull stream all around them, and the smell of cooking spices and well-tread mud coalesced into some sort of repugnant delight. None of that probably helped the other man's cause, Grin would learn his name was Lord Armare. The lord only got a glimpse of Grin's eyes when the halfling laid into his arm, chomping down as hard as he could. He didn't break the skin, as it was swathed in heavy layers, but it was enough for the lord to howl and drop the halfling directly on his backside.
"You worthless," the lord belted, raising his hand. Yet, once he looked over Grin, he paused. His arm wavered for a moment before he dropped it. "You're not my son."
"No, I'm not." Grin pulled himself from the ground. "And yah better well apologize for pickin' me up like yah mutt. Or son, I reckon'. Though that's disconcertin'."
The man cleared his throat. "But that doesn't give you a right to bite me."
"Would yah rather have had me pull mah blade? Nah. Of course not. The guards may have accidentally filled yah full of holes when they played a fun game of 'stab the halfin'."
"I can still call the guards." The lord leered over and down at Grin, as if his height would make a smidge of difference to the halfling. Yet, Grin was not the sort accommodate violence so easily.
He ran a hand through his short blond hair, mussing it up a bit. "How about this? We both apologize for our actions and be on our merry way?"
The lord snorted, waving his bitten sleeve in the halfling's face. Teeth-shaped punctures riddled it, like holes in a net.
"Spirits," Grin cursed. "Fine, what yah want? Just warning yah, I don't have much in the way of wealth."
Apparently, what he had in oodles and ounces was his ability to entertain children. Grin had brought up the point that leaving a complete stranger with his children was not the in the lord's best interest. He reminded the halfling that the guards were watching, but their job didn't encompass entertaining his children enough that they wouldn't take to the streets like feral cats.
They sat underneath a thick canvas awning with wood benches, tables, and a decent assortment of drinks and food. Grin found the carafe of the stronger liquor. He took a few long drinks before addressing the children. The young man, the one that his father had mistaken for the halfling, looked very uninterested. The girl, younger in both smile and appearance, stared intently.
"Tell me about pixys!" she exclaimed. The boy let out a long sigh before trying to vault over the small square of wood work that stood about a head taller than Grin. The halfling snatched the boy halfway up the fence work. The kid spat and hissed. The girl crossed her arms and frowned.
"Look, I'll tell yah all about pixys. Yah just have to sit down and be quiet." Grin paused. "Do that, and I'll tell yah father yah good kids and yah deserve whatever you want."
"A pony!" "My own house!" Their voices nearly sang in unison.
"Right, well we obviously have diff'rent ideas about what one might deserve by being good for about an hour." Grin grumbled under his breath about 'spoilt rich kids.' "Alright, here is a story."
"About pixys!" the daughter exclaimed again.
"Yes about pixys. Calm yahself." The two siblings sat down. The girl placed her arms in her lap and cross her legs. Her chin was tilted upwards in interest. The boy crossed his arms and huffed--loudly. Grin ignored him.
"A long time ago," Grin began. "There was a pixy prince."
The daughter's hand shot up. "Are there really pixy princes?"
"Yah cram it, or I stop talkin' and tell yah father you're a bunch of demons." There was a silent pause. "Very well. The pixy prince was the strongest, smartest, kindest, and bravest of his kind. He befriended many a halfin', and he found their company blessed. They loved the pixy prince, so it was fair to say when the day came for him to enter a contract with a person outside tha woods, they all feared for what was going to happen. Yet, the pixy called upon his most trusted of halflins. That one watched over the pixy as he created a Contract with a powerful man. A dangerous man. The halflin saw nothin' wrong with the initial contract, but as the pixy prince left the woods... the halflin' realized he'd been drawn into a contract most dark. So, the halflin' set off to save the pixy prince..."
"Bo-ring," the young noble boy announced.
Grin frowned, but he knew his audience. "He didn't make it far until he was waylaid by bandits. A young, female elf came to his rescue. He died at her feet, tellin' her all about the pixy prince's contract and the darkness in the one's hart that had made it..." He went on to tell a tale of a female elf knight, a young human prince, a handful of centaurs, griffins, and the like. They went from uninterested to enrapt at his telling. He was wrapping up with the noble human prince's sacrifice, when their father arrived. They applauded and filed off behind the lord. Of course, that was after he'd left a hefty sum in Grin's hands. This would help him.
He was counting coins when the daughter reappeared. She stood before him, only a little bit below him. "The part of the pixy and the halfling were true, right?" She asked.
Grin smiled. "Every good story has a nugget of truth, m'dear. Yah would be good to learn that if yah goin' to be lyin' to your father in the rapid pace yah seem to enjoy."
The girl hugged him before disappearing into the crowd. Grin just laughed. .

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.