Two Unseen Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enthused that Kyra had actually began to head towards the docks, Gimladhir followed with little questioning or hesitation. She, mores so than Gimladhir, had stood out in the square more than any lord or lady might have. At least the nobility would, at the very least, be worth robbing or looking twice over. Chuckling inwardly at the thought, Gimladhir remained silent.

Until Kyra ruined the silence so carefully built, tearing it crashing down onto Gimladhir's ears.

"Is he actually capable of doing his duty?"

Thinking over his reply, the assassin paused mid-step, allowing Kyra to advance a step or two beyond him before hastening his pace to stride side-by-side her again.

"Doubtless he will be more than willing, though I must say I doubt his ability to manage any pursuers should that become an issue. He is a soft, fat-bellied merchant past the prime of his years, but a merchant is what we need. A swoop or other fast vessel may very well draw unwanted attention."

He had considered pulling some of his long-time underworld contacts to ready a means of transportation, but that would take more gold and time than Gimladhir would be willing to deal with. Criminals were generally more efficient in their operations, and safer (so long as they avoided detection), but sometimes a few words in the right ear and a muttered threat or two did more than chests of gold and favors. Kyra had yet to learn, to his knowledge, of the use of the common thieves of the city, but then, no doubt he was the one at fault here.

An interesting duality I doubt we will overcome.

"Shall I see to it that we find another captain?"

As the two of them traversed the winding, haphazard streets that had been sacked and rebuilt many times be assorted nations, Kyra scoffed at Gimladhir's comments. "Why would we be pursued? So long as you have been cautious, then there ought not to be any pursuers." She doubted the merchant had any idea there were assassins currently determined to kill him.

A man like him most likely knew that there was a price on his head, as the wealthy merchants that conducted empires of their own tended to be a ruthless bunch, but they had ways and means of keeping their heads firmly attached to their shoulders. Most blades could be bought, still others could be dispatched by a marks own hired guards, and so usually it was a game between rivals, rather than any serious threat. However, these assassins had something more to gain than just coin, whether that was status or a religious awakening. Either way, they would not be so easily dissuaded.

"I'm sure your captain will suffice. You are not devout, but you are capable." It was something of a compliment, a great esteem coming from the shrew that was Kyra. She had no illusions that Gimladhir probably didn't care what she had to say, but she felt it important to remain honest, no matter what form that truth might come in.

The two of them soon emerged out onto the docks, the early morning activity obvious as sailors of various states of roughness shouted instruction and carelessly loaded the last of their cargo. There was a hive of movement, the men paying no mind to the two dark figures that moved with purpose to the moored ship on which they were to sail.

Kyra of course allowed the male to lead the way, and was rather underwhelmed by the vessel they were to be transported on. However, it would suit their needs perfectly. It seemed in serviceable condition, and was not grand enough to warrant unwanted attention. The supplies it carried were hopefully not too valuable, although in all honesty, the likelihood of any robbery this far up river was slim at best. The riverways were too densely populated, the cities too close together. No, this would do nicely for their purposes.

"Am I going to need to persuade the captain to allow me aboard?" Kyra asked of her companion as they came to the foot of the gangplank. She had no qualms about asserting her authority, although that was best avoided if they wanted to avoid a riot. Whether or not she won whatever fisticuffs she got herself into, it was doubtful that the captain would allow her to remain, either out of embarrassment or disdain. If her gender mattered to him or his crew, then it would need to be dealt with diplomatically.

"There are many ways of persuasion," Gimladhir mused. "I am none to judge the quality of ships and their captains, but a vessel such as this will complete the voyage in a day and a night if all goes accordingly, and this man is in very little demand at the moment. If he objects, it is he who is out of the bargain, not us."

Already the surrounding city landscape that marked the edge of the docks was giving way to the ill-kept harbor. Row houses became less and less frequent, the crowds thinned, and the beggars were replaced with cutthroats lurking alleyways. On any other day, Gimladhir would have gladly spent the day slicing purses and thieving throughout the day here, but that trade had dried up long ago.

I'm not so certain this new oasis is worth the trouble, either.

Still, a trade was a trade. Turning to face Kyra, Gimladhir gestured towards the ship. Squat, fat, and well-kept, their chosen craft had a great deal in the way of dignity above the other ships bobbing up and down in the early morning water. Its sails were mostly white, the hull was free of barnacles, and the wood seemed to have little to no cracks.

"By day, however, I am more confident in this man's ability," the assassin chuckled. "Let us move on without further delay - I believe I have a means of getting him out of this city earlier than planned."

He pulled the stolen coin purse from the night before from its place tied firmly to his belt.

"A little copper never hurt, no? Let us do what words cannot."

Status
Not open for further replies.