Two Times, One Sword (Closed)

Ayako turned to the first page and began scanning each page. A slight buzzing began in her the back of her head it was low at first, but as she read through the book it got louder. The pain to amplify, but none of her system alarms sounded. The buzzing turned into a loud scream just blairing into her ears.

Ayako got half way through the book before she began coughing up a black liquid. *Whooomp* The tome slammed shut "Your three hours are up. Review what you recorded and leave." the table had a different feel to it, almost demonic. The lights faded.

She had gotten only halfway through the first book, trudging through the amplified pain and the screams that rang between her ears. For three hours, Ayako tried to decode what the hell the book was saying. At first it seemed like nonsense, written cryptically where words dug deep into implications of meaning. It was as though poetry and prose coalesced into an ugly mass like the black liquid gurgling from her mouth, and she could only see it with a single eye. It had been hell; she could have read hundreds of normal articles in that time, written in that clean and direct prose of the future, where words only held technical meaning and had pragmatic applications. It was only at the apex of the end, the book teased her a little, and made her feel as though she was beginning to understand, only to rip that feeling away from her at the last minute when the tome slammed shut.

Ayako felt empty and betrayed, stripped of that momentary lapse in certainty and elation of discovery. Yes, the book was certainly evil. It was a test to see which broke first. The ringing continued, though lighter, as she stood up and made her way out of the library, aimlessly, until she felt intense heat emanating from a passageway and the smell of burning metal ore and fire.

A simple small bronz golem walked up to Ayako "Welcome to the Fire Pits what is the nature of your repair?" He said looking up at her.

Ayako pointed to her broken eye "Damaged optical sensor." her voice was worn. She pointed to the black ooze spilling out from the fabric in front of her mouth "Leaking whatever this is." She huffed.

"Ah Miss Ayako please head to the cave behind the waterfall. Mr. Himura will repair you." He pointed to this huge waterfall near the south wall.

Ayako couldn't help but look around the large room. Gold and iron golems lined the walls. The bronze golems were swinging away, patching holes, and refitting armor. She went past the roaring water fall and through the mouth of the cave, instantly a feeling of peace a washed over her.

Yakusho-Koji_photo-thumb-630xauto-32443.jpg

"Welcome Ayako." an older man greater her. "Welcome to my shop." He smiled. The shop was fill with intricately designed metal bodies ready to be animated. Beautifle sheets of gold and steel were laid out on a near by table. "The golem you met with informed about your eye, please sit." He pointed to a chair. He walked back near a furnace and pulled a small piece of glass from a shelf. "Did Yang do this to you?" He started to heat and shape the glass. "He's all been a bit rough."

"It was a demonstration of power." Ayako said, flatly. She was used to having harsh teachers, though most of her experiences came from fighting in the future corporation shadow wars. She didn't think being a student didn't suited at all. She sat on the operating chair and lounged back, scanning the beautiful designs of the golems not yet animated. It looked like this was an art to him rather than as a simple practice. Pride in one's work was important, and that couldn't change, not even in hundreds of years. It was more peaceful than she had anticipated. She thought about making small talk, but didn't know where to begin.

"Sorry about the - mess." She referred to the black tar trail behind her. It turned out there was some tar leaking from some of her joints as well, and not just her mouth. She chose not to look at the mirror, suddenly becoming conscious of what she looked like to the model golems on display.

"It's no problem, down here we're pretty used to messes." He called from the furnace. The lence was given a rough shape then left to cool. He walked back over to her and put on a set of magnifying glasses. He stretched one if her arms and twisted it. *Click* the arm came apart at the elbow joint, and a small rubber seal fell flat on the table in a pool if tar. "Ah you just need some new seals." he walked over to a small box and pulled out some rubber rings. "How do you like your new body?" He asked as he carefully replaced the seal in her arm. "Master Gin said to keep it with in the design choices of your old one so I did my best." He moved to her other arm and replaced the seal. "If you have any questions about please feel free to ask."

Ayako thought it was funny how easily she her arm had fallen apart from her. She didn't even feel it; it was a seamless transition. Assembly line machines from the future weren't this efficient in dissembling androids; to this man, they were brutish.

"Well, the tail wasn't in my original design. I'm curious. What inspired you to add that? I mean, if I were you, I'd probably just fit in all the weapons I originally had into a new body."

Mr. Himura chuckled a bit "How well did those old weapons serve you in your last battle?" he replaced the final seal in her right leg. "The tail is a representation of your personality. I know it sounds a bit arrogant for me to make a design choice like that, but what can I say?" he moved to her head and unzipped her chest to just above her cleavage. "Open please." Ayako open on his command. "You are quick, cunning, and blood thirst what better then then tail of a scorpion?" he padded the inside of her mouth with a cotton cloth, cleaning out what sludge was left. "So to answer your question my dear your thrust for battle is what inspired me to make your body. More weapons don't always mean better efficiency." he smiled. He moved his hand to her chest, Ayako tensed "Relax I only want to make sure your power source isn't damaged, I would never defile a creation." he consoled.

He pressed a small indent in her chest *Click* a small box shot from Ayako's chest. Mr. Himura opened the box to reveal a small red heart shaped jewel inside of it. "Ah good the Zae gem wasn't harmed." he whispered. He closed the box and slid it back into her chest "Well we still have some time to kill so what else would you like to know my daughter?" he sat down in a chair next to her. "What's the real Ayako like behind that mean mask you wear?"

Her eyes opened slightly in response to seeing the Zae gem for the first time, and what was this talk about knowing her as a daughter, or asking what was beyond that 'mean mask' of hers? At first response, she though him presumptuous, then entertainingly foolish, but the more she thought about it, the more she wondered about how he had managed to talk to her like this. He must have seen her fight, and yet, he wasn't afraid. She became increasingly aware about the fact that her heart was exposed to him, as though he were the one to breathe life into her, and be, in fact, a father. Paxton could be considered a father, loosely, though he wasn't in charge of the actual creation. He made the designs and put machines up to make her who she was. Her old body had lots of toys to play with, but the reason for the tail of the scorpion made sense to her. It was a unique thing that spoke to who she was, rather than fulfilling the image of weapon of rampant destruction.

"I just want to know why you're the first person to talk so directly with me in my entire life. I'm mean because it's in my programming to surpass others in skill, and you can't compete playing nice. My previous shogun taught me the workings of the harsh world I come from; a world where each person competes against the other for power, or die."

• Love
Reactions: Tone 6th
Mr. Himura raised an eyebrow "Ayako I'm talking to you as I would anyone else. You're not a machine like those lifeless scrap heaps out there, you feel, you think, you make your own decisions, so to me your just as real as anyone else." he motioned to the main room. "You, Yang, and the other higher functioning golems I've made are special."

"Why's that?" Ayako sharply questioned.

"Because you've been blessed with a soul. The Zae gem inside you is the physical embodiment of a soul. These gems come from the Zae stone, one of the scared stones it's also known as the 'Life Stone'. That's what makes you special." he pointed to where the gem laid. "As for your understanding of winning against others..." he paused. "What if I told you to be truly evil you must fully understand what it means to be a good person?" he zipped her back up.

Last edited:
This man couldn't understand her world; her world was as bustling as an anthill, rife with life competing with each other for resources. They cluster deep within the earth to gather heat from the Earth's core. 'Soul' was as alien of a concept to people of her age as the Sun, shrouded constantly by the darkness of a ruined atmosphere that pelted cities with monsoons and acid rain. The city KAMI-5 was their god; the collection of lights as innumerable as the stars. There were still religions vouching for the purity of human beings free from augments; to be augment without augments meant you were always at a societal disadvantage. The fact that she even existed in her time was an affront to the idea that only people had souls, human beings. Now this man told her he had given her one, with a gem. She knew she was high functioning, for it had been her badge of honor ever since the first burst of electrical energy shot through her positronic brain. What did it even mean to have a soul? Now, he was talking about what it means to be a good person?

"What does it mean to be good? Yes, I know what it means to be good. It means to allow yourself to be weak, to risking showing a side of you that others will exploit when they choose to turn on you. Good is an unexplained belief that choosing to be weak for others is a strength and that compassion can benefit the individual. -- Good is what you've done. You have given me a soul. Why?"

• Love
Himura walked back over to the table where the lence had cooled. He picked it up carefully and brought it to the work bench. "I know you've been reading up on spirit energy Ayako." he took a small polishing cloth to the lence. "The first golem I built wanted the same knowledge. She read the same books you did and suffered the same broken seals you did." He walked back over to her "Open your eye please." He began to place the lence. "Once she mastered that knowledge she sout to use it. The problem was he didn't have to conductor to use it. He lacked a soul. So when Gin presented me with the Zae stone I knew I could finally make my creations feel whole." a sens of pride filled his voice. "I've given you, your brothers, and your sisters, power beyond what any normal human can do. You just have to awaken that power Ayako and you don't need some ridiculous book to tell you how to do it." *Click* the lence sunk into place. "There we go how's that?"

"Rebooting optic sensor..... Vision restored." Ayako's system chimed.

"Fine thank you, but what do you mean I don't need the tomes?" She brushed off the repair.

"Meditate on it Ayako, you have a soul know so why not search it? Go to the third floor, take the west corridor to the end and you will find a large white room. Sit there and find yourself then your power will awaken my dear." he smiled.

Ayako got up from her chair, faced him, and gave a very slight bow "Thank you for your help Mr. Himura." She turned and took her leave.

"Ayako!" he called. She turned "I make weapons of war, I'm not a good person." he shook his head. She nodded and walked out.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: foodforpigs
"What good are you, anyway?" Saruwatari accused Yori. "Twice you've been fighting alongside Jiro, and twice you have failed. I can't believe Amaratsu would choose someone like you. Maybe she's counting on seeing you burst into flames."
"Enough!" Yori barked back. "I didn't see you come rushing out when the manor was under siege either time."
"I'm retired, boy. I know I'm not in my prime. I'm simply Kawazoe's bodyguard now. I'd only get in the way, like how you get in Jiro's way."

Jiro was still in the recovery room, under the watch of Kawazoe. Yori had helped briefly, under the stern guidance of Jiro's sister who was now his spirit guardian. She had, very patiently, taught the future inept man how to properly prepare tea and simple meals, apply bandages and moist cloths, and stitch in the police badge into his new clothes with a needle and thread. Most importantly, he was taught how to meditate, which he was trying to do in the meditation room.

"You should just leave." Saruwatari continued. "We were doing just fine before you came along, half-golem."

Yoko, who could only be heard by Yori, wanted to slap Saruwatari back to his senses, and make him aware that his frustration should be directed towards the aggressors, not at the man who came from a different time and place, but was willing to stake his life in an ideal to protect.

"If you are looking for a fight, you'll get much more than you bargained for." Yori finalized.

Saruwatari turned around with a grunt and stomped out of the meditation room. He tried to meditate again, but all he could see was flame. His thoughts reached towards home; that place of grating metal against the pelting of acid rain and the racking sounds of gunfire, lasers, and explosives. Yoko kept repeating soft mantras to help Yori to concentrate and repeat, with patience only a high priestess could possess.
--

At the same time, Ayako stood alone in the impossibly bright white room. She could barely tell which direction was which, as the floor appeared to disappear from under her. She tried as Mr. Himura had instructed to search herself for the truth, at first in the literal sense of analysing the soul, the Zae Stone. It only returned the material components of it, with no other meaningful information attached. She stomped in frustration and pulled at her hair, moving frantically about in the emptiness. The door from which she entered was gone; something else had closed it behind her. Ayako was searching for something to trash, anything to exact her frustrations. The golems she faught had been perfect for that.

When she had followed Yori though the time stream, she had spent nearly a century calculating flight paths to prevent her destruction. At least at that time, her equations had kept her company, the urgency of the moment always taking her to a place where she didn't have think only about herself. Now there was only herself to think about. Suddenly she was alone. She suddenly what it really meant to be alone. She felt like collapsing, but there was no floor to break her fall. She felt dizzy, falling perpetually into a void.

"Ah, practicing meditation are we?" Jrio smiled from the door frame, pale with his a hair a mess. Kawazoe was holding the still recovering man up "Jrio you should get back to bed you need at least another days rest." he urged. "Don't worry I won't be long." Jrio lifted himself up out of Kawazoe's grasp and walked into the room. "Yori I really must thank you for helping me protect my home, and for helping me heal." he sat down in front of Yori. "Please tell Yoko thank you for me as well." he smiled.

Jiro took a deep breath in and closed his then released "This is probably one of my favorite rooms in the house, it's just some where a person can come relax." he opened his eyes. "So it would appear that your element is fire, a very noble element. My father was a flame wielder as well, and I assume Yoko is teaching you how to control it." he paused. "You remind me a lot of my father tenacious, strong willed, and a strong sense of justice." Jiro's eyes were hallow with sorrow. "I'll let you get back to meditating, if you need anything please help yourself. There is a training ring near the left side of the house please feel free to use it." he walked back to Kawazoe, and the two took their leave.

Yoko was smiling "Come on back to breathing, then we will go practice."

• Love
Reactions: foodforpigs
"You okay?"

Jkw60SN.jpg

Ayako swore she was now hallucinating, and that failing to orient herself and determine which way was down as causing her circuits to overload like blood would hemorrhage a brain. A young girl in a weird fashion was floating alongside her, appearing aloof. The girl looked curious, and not condescending, as she looked upon Ayako as she struggled against what appeared to be nothing at all. Ayako tried to take a swipe at her but her arm simply passed though her. The spirit could see that this visibly relaxed Ayako slightly, and so made expressions of 'you got me' to ease tensions, though it also was a bit mocking.

"Name's Mei." She did a headstand against a floor that didn't exist, at an angle that was different from the down Ayako had tried to calculate while falling. "You have a name, golem?"
"Ayako Paxton!" she yelled, still feeling the sensation of falling against air resistance. "When I regain my footing, I'm getting the hell out of here."
"Ah." she uttered, passively. "You just got here, too."
"It's nothing but white. There's no up and down. I hated being alone with myself, but you're much worse I think."
"Now you're just being a meanie."
"Help me find which way is down and you might gain a small token of my respect."
"-- Why does it matter which way is down?"
Ayako screamed in rage, flailing wildly against her environment which didn't conform to reason.

• Love
"You scream to much, you need to calm down." Mei lightly covered her ears.
"What I need is to get out of this infernal place, now which way is down!"
Mei gave an annoyed sigh "Just stop! Stop tossing a fit and stop!" she scolded.
Surprised, Ayako stopped her thrashing and looked at the odd girl.
"Good, now up and down don't matter. What direction do you believe is down?"

Ayako looked down at her feet and the falling stop, she could feel a floor under her feet. The pressure on her circuits lifted, and she looked back at Mei "Are you real?" she leaned in to look at her closely. "How are you flying with out any kind of propulsion?" she reached for her and again her hand went right through. Something was wrong, her scanners couldn't determine what she was looking at. This thing was in front of her, but she gave off no vitals "Who are you?" Ayako became extremely tense.

"You ask waaaaaaay too many questions, with answers nobody should care about. I'm Mei. I'm a spirit."
"That's rich." Ayako taunted. "Spirits don't exist."
"Say what you want, but it's true." Mei replied, simply. "You see me and hear me. That's real enough as far as I'm concerned."
Ayako laughed. "So it doesn't even matter to you that you even exist, just as long as I think you're real. Maybe if I stop thinking about you, you'll go away."
Mei folded her arms, pouting. "If you don't want my help, fine. There's always that book-learning that other golems go crazy from. Read any more of that first book and you'll go loopy loop before reaching the second."
"Next you're going to tell me all books are bad. How are you going to help me, savage?"
"I've helped you already by helping you not care about which way is down. You're standing on a floor that is yours."
"Skip the riddles Mei. I only care about answers."
"Easy. Just, breathe for a second, okay? Like, I'm not trying to be cryptic or nothing. Books are okay, but there's more than books, yeah? There is more than other standards, like the one of your Paxton clan or Master Gin's. There is your standard."
"You mean like horizontal and vertical honor? Yeah, I get that." Ayako replied quickly.
"Huh? What's this about direction? Just because you use different terms doesn't mean you're smarter than me."
"Horizontal honor is the honor you get from fulfilling an outside standard; vertical honor is the honor from some internal standard. I was designed with an internal standard that matched the external. To satisfy one is to satisfy the other."
"Is that really true, now that you have a soul?"
"It's good enough for me."
"Better." Mei responded. "That answer's better. See, there's no need for precise answers all the time."
"So, now what? There's nothing to do in this room." Ayako complained "It's boring. It isn't jang at all."
"Jang." Mei repeated. "Cool word. Can I use it?"
"Sure, why the hell not?"
"Umm, you could always paint. I find that it's one way to search myself."
"Paint? Like applying pigments to canvases."
"Sure!" Mei exclaimed. She waved a hand a stroke of green appeared on a 'wall' of the room.
Ayako appeared quite hesitant.
"Don't tell me you've never painted before." Mei added.
"There was never a point to it."
"Try. All you have to do is try. Dive in. Don't think about what's exact or proper. Just paint."

Ayako brought her hand to the wall and pressed her palm to it... it felt wet. She pulled her hand away and in it's place was a bright orange hand print. What was happening Ayako had a hard time processing. She pressed again, this time the print was a deep blue. Finally, something clicked she took her hand and ran it down the wall. "Wha?" She said astounded. How could such marvalous color come from only her hand? BZZZT A quick surge of electricity shot through her circuits, and it was like a vice was released.

"Aha... Ha ha ha!" she began running her hands down the wall in wild swipes. Dark hues of greens, blues, and reds poured from her hands. Laughing she stood up and ran both hands flat on the wall "This feels amazing!" she laughed. She ran her hands down her face, laughing manically, the paint ran blood red.

Mei was astounded in the change in Ayako's character once she was given freedom. She had taken it and ran wild with it. It was as though play itself was something foreign to her before this point. Mei followed suit and started to visually paint herself as well in bright color. Ayako then laughed some more and threw a glob of paint at the spirit. It burst on her, covering a section of her in red. Mei in turn threw a couple globes back of yellows and orange. They laughed during the ensuing violence of their game, until Ayako's circuits were about to overload. She looked at Mei desperately for help. Mei simply breathed in and out, slowly, easily, and retained a light smile. Ayako understood and tried. After about the third time her maniacal laughing had ceased. Unlike other times she had forced herself to stop herself from laughing, she still felt the high of excitement. Her mind was light, taking in the moment persisting within her. It was the majestic opposite of what the book had done. This must be what pleasure is.

Satisfied, Mei said. "Room's pretty jang now isn't it?"
"An absolute mess." Ayako replied, with a grin on her face. "I haven't had this much fun since.."
"Yes?" Mei pressed.
"Na, na. It's nothing. It's just been a long time, is all."

Master Yang slammed open the door to the room, and the room suddenly turned pitch black. The paint on the walls and over them was now gone.

"Out, now." he ordered sternly.

Ayako's happy feeling was shattered instantly with Yang's yelling. She quickly walked out if the room, quietly cursing him for disrupting that amazing feeling. "Did you need me for something?" She said formally.

Mei appeared beside her "No, tell him how you feel. Be free." She pushed

"On second thought, no, I'll just leave. You could've told me you had a reservation for this room, but you didn't. Don't get all antsy for no reason."
"This room is for meditation only."
"I guess we have different ways of meditating then."
"Mr. Himura told you about this room, didn't he?"
"Doesn't even matter." Ayako replied easily. It felt so good not to care about things that were trivial. "How I used the room was by my volition."
"What a sad waste of time. I suppose you're not going back to the library to study then."
"It wasn't useful to put my mind through hell for nothing."
"Not for nothing!" Yang barked. "I had a recording of your actions in the library. Easiest to hardest? You fool, it's all difficult. If you can't overcome the pain, then you aren't worthy. Why do you think there was such a short list?"
"Not any concern of mine."
"You should be." Yang threatened. "Master Gin has no patience in freeloader weaklings. If you can't show that you're going to be useful, it'll be to the shredder with you. Mr. Himura might be our father, but know who is actually in charge."
"Thank you, brother." Ayako jumped at Yang and gave him a hug. Yang didn't return it, though his face did slightly betray a concern when Ayako patted his shoulders. "I'll figure it all out."

Ayako turned around and started to aimlessly walk about the building to find some sleeping quarters. It felt really good to share her feelings, to be free.

• Love