Two Sentence Challenge #17

K

Kitti

It is said that brevity is the soul of wit. There is, without a doubt, a time and place for long paragraphs filled with wondrous descriptions. Other times, however, less is more. What can you create from the prompt using only two sentences?

Kaptzx.jpg

This time, the theme is:

Retirement

As Devon sat in his car, eyes blearily staring at the rush hour traffic jam before him, hampered due to a very slow train, he couldn't help but sigh heavily.

"Only forty more years until retirement," he promised himself, chuckling tearfully at the futility of his words.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Kitti
" We would like to thank Mr James S Wallis for his dedication to this company in the last 50 years!," the grandiose announcement rushes over my ears as I walk up towards the podium, applause palpable everywhere, trying to feel proud of my accomplishments.

So, why do I still feel empty inside?

• Love
Reactions: Kitti and Greenie
Staring down at the acquisition folder in his hand, down at the picture of the pretty blonde target, Malcolm's lips twitched into a frown as recognition brought to mind that night so many years ago, when she had first shown up at his front door - a sopping wet mess of mascara and curls.

Maybe Jim had the right idea about retiring, after all.

• Love
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: Kitti and Greenie
"I mean I don't know, I always told everyone I would never retire until the day I died, but..."

"Welcome to retirement, then," Saint Peter mused as he nonchalantly stamped my paperwork and opened the pearly gates.

I had promised my wife that I would work until the day I died.

Turned out, I had lied to her after all, I retired after she died, finally having enough of the corporate world that had taken it all from me, just a few months too late though to say goodbye to her.

Reactions: Kitti
He frowned and shook his head, "Listen...retirement sounded good in theory, but in practice it sucks! How anyone can sit around and do nothing but play golf boggles my mind."

Retirement was his dream, his paradise...and with his job, he was sure he had it made.

But being retired by getting his legs blown off wasn't his preferred method.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Doctor Jax
Retirement - a dream, a fable, something that the rich were able to do one day, he thought. I should have bought stocks in Apple, the former broker considered as he scrubbed the gas station toilets.