Twists of Spacetime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karax had to grit his teeth a little to ignore the pain of the overgrown moskeeto but he made though with only a few grunts, the men seemed to know the effect anyway.
And as expected, as soon as Karax had set her down, even before he got to sit down, she started her rant about not being a small toy. Though she was absolutely correct, that didn't really make Karax care in the least, it made sense at the time so he went with it.... The introduction to many, many, very many of his stories of almost killing himself in the process..

Karax might act like a doof, and indeed he is quite the one at times, but his doofy personality and way of being hides his intellect, or it might be that his intellect needs time to recharge between usages... And naturally as if rehearsed the man in question arrives at the very moment that Lyrnya chooses to speak ill of the man. And he was the very example on why clichés are a thing.
Glorious.

Karax got to his feet and met with the mayor, no hand was extended as greeting so he assumed that the mayor was indeed very busy and of too high stature to even be talking to them. He silently wondered what the guard told him to even grant the duo the privilege to speak to him.

"Indeed so-" Karax answered the rhetorical question about them being the ones. "-and I'm not going to waste your precious time and get to the point. I come requesting information, and though it will sound weird I request that you answer if possible."

The mayor looked like his whole ancestry were just offended at once and that someone had shoved a small ant-farm into his backside. Someone actually dared to indirectly order him?!
"Where are we? What is the name of this world? Also, what is the most powerful form of weapons or combat abilities that exists here?" Karax went straight to the point, after all he didn't really want to speak to this walking clichè more than needed.

"W,... What do you mean? You don't know where you are and you come barging in here taking up MY time?!" the man answered as expected, really.

Karax sighed and threw the mayor two silver coins.
"Don't think me stupid-" his grin left his face for a short while as it was clear as the midday sun he contemplated leveling this building and reducing the man to ash. Grin forming again after a short second, "-Take your coins and answer my questions the best you can."
"Oh, oh, naturally I will be of service and answer your important questions!" the mayor stated in glee as he picked up the coins from the seemingly newly washed wooden floor. "-Come with me and we'll go into my office" the jug of lard stated as he waddled happily into his office.

Letting out a dissatisfied 'pfeh' it was far from hard to guess where the mayor was on Karax' like-list, he followed the man into a rather lavish and for the lack of a better word; shiny office. All wooden surfaces were buffed to an almost reflective surface. Large expensive looking books were filling a bookshelf and high quality paper was spread across the man's desk. The mage even got a glance of a large map before it was rolled up; he had zero ideas on where this was.

"Please, please, sit" the mayor stated being as accommodating as humanly possible given the circumstances. "As for your questions. You are in Lisica, that's the name of the world. Specifically on the north-east part of the northern isle of the V'ida kingdom. And.. I don't know how to answer that last question... We have bows, ballista, catapults.. .Strong warriors and archers?" it was clear that there were no magic here, though that was not too hard to guess based on the way the mana flowed in the air. Karax just wanted it confirmed.
"So, there are no mages?"
"Mages?" The mayor had a slight problem digesting that question, but tried to answer. "You mean like the stories? The best I know of are card-tricks and petty sleight of hand floating coins or whatever." Plomping further back in his chair waving his hand around rather annoyed it was clear that there were no publicly known magic more than tricks that were far from arcane in nature.

Karax' grin grew back to it's normal size and he seemed rather happy about himself. Not really knowing the capabilities of his pint-sized friend, Karax might well be the most powerful man in this world! Perhaps going back could be postponed!
Though, a deep sigh shortened the man's smile and he looked a little more down, turning to his companion. "So, what do you think? Odds of finding someone to aid is slim, might be stories or lore but... yeah... Also, we could have some fun here, don't you think?"
The mayor was clearly oblivious as to what was just said, but Lyrnya should understand given what she had seen since they met only several hours ago.
Getting to his feet Karax gave Lyrnya a single pat on her head "Tag, you're it. Have at him".
He clearly meant that it was her turn to ask questions if she had any, Karax took up pacing round the room looking at things in the shelves.

Lyrnya listened intently on the conversation between Karax and the fat mayor and true to the small time of the town, a couple of silver coins here and there and his tongue was looser than the lovely ladies by the docks. From what she gathered, it was a world where magic did not exist. He also mentioned place names, but that was not important until it could be cross referenced with a map, something they did not have. Still Lyrnya slotted the names into the pack of her head. What was important was the idea that mages did not exist, that it was mere legends and stories. That out good ideas in her head. It was even better that Karax suggested they could have some form of fun. Unfortunately, her idea of "fun" for questioning sometimes included socking people in the face should they annoy her enough. This man was toeing the lines.

Do you happen to know the direction to a...city? Somewhere with higher travel traffic? Also... do you mind us taking that map you have? looks handy.

Lyrnya was half hoping that he would be impudent or at the very least sic his guards on them. She could vent some stress on the poor guards and then shake the mayor down even more. She was planning to maybe use some magic to frighten him, but maybe Karax and his lightning and electricity would be more well suited. It all depends on how he reacts.

Karax stopped in his tracks as he was moving about, that's right, the imp had a good idea. A map! Placenames only mattered if you had some context as to where shit was.

"The. map? No, I'm afraid not. This map contains my personal notes but I can sell you a standard version" The word 'sell you' rolled of his tongue so easily one would expect this was what he had hoped for his whole life.
"Here... let me just..." the mayor had walked over to a shelf and was moving about some heavy books to take out a rolled up parchment, taking it back to his desk he rolled it out over the table.
"It's not perfect but it shows the largest places, some points of interest as well as the local land." It was a simple map of this region, though not the best maps in ye-olde time were often hand-copied and good copies were often hard to come by.

"We'll take it" Karax stated, realizing he didn't have many left of the coins, two gold, three silver and one copper to be exact, and as he didn't know the value of the coins he didn't feel like walking into the mayors trap.
"Oh, great, that will be - One golden coin" there was a strange pause as the price were mentioned, not really that long but it was clearly there.
"I think you misunderstand, I said that we will take it" Karax grinned as he walked towards the desk. Grabbing one side of the map had the mayor holding on the other end.
"You're stealing from me?" the mayor asked more than stated it, almost as if confirming the situation.
"Well, you're clearly scamming us, and based on what I have seen I think you can give up one simple map, no?"
"I don't think so. You will pay the gold or deal with the guards." the mayor threatened, and by the tone of his voice it was not something he seemed to joke with.
"Hardly. I have decided that you are not a person that will do anyone good, I don't plan to do much about it but I will take your map.. In fact, I will take both your maps and pay you one of the silver coins for it!"
Karax took out a silver coin and flicked it in the Mayor's general direction. Greed for money had him let go of the map, also sort of hinting to the value of this map compared to one silver coin. But as soon as the silver coin was in the fat man's hands so was the man's personal map in Karax' hand as he rolled up the lower quality one. Being this secretive about things and as manipulative about things, not to mention the overly fancy status of this building compared to the bareley house-like houses in the rest of the town, it was not hard to guess where the money went in this place.

"You... you can't do that! GUARDS! GET THEM!" the order sounded from the short tub of lard and as expected the door shot open and two soldiers entered.

Karax grinned wide and looked at his traveling companion.
"Arent they the ones that claimed you, what was it, a newborn baby?" Clearly twisting facts to his side it was not too far from the truth... well... at least not based on Lyrnyra's height complex and her outburst earlier. Karax hoped there would be some action using that as fuel.

As predicted, the man was a greedy bugger. He was all chummy providing he got something out of it. It was even worse when he believed that he could just walk over them and scam them for more money. One gold piece for a measly, pathetic, incomplete map? This man was as mad as they came. Negotiation predictably broke down quite rapidly. With a quick trick, Karax forced the mayor to drop his prized map and scooped both of them up in one swift movement. At the same time, Lyrnya knew what was coming and had already made for her pack. The moment the guards came busting through the door, Lyrnya had kicked the haft of her spear and sent it spinning into both guards. It wasnt the best attack, but it did stun them long enough for the small Cheytan to launch herself into the air and fly kick the one that called her a baby, straight into the face. Her aim was good and the power behind it was strong. Lyrnya felt the guard's nose break and teeth getting knocked out and as if to put salt in wounds, she used his face as a platform to launch back.

Not anymore with that mouth!

These were nothing more than rent-a-cops. Dumb muscles hired for their looks rather than skills. The Crusaders on the road were much more of a challenge. That much was obvious when the remaining guard fumbled around, trying to draw his sword in such a narrow corridor. Lyrnya felt like it was rude not to take the opportunity he had made. Just like a lumberjack, Lyrnya went for the knees. Take out the foundations and the house will collapse and indeed it did. The thug's poor leg foundation crumbled as the sweeping kick forced him to his knee. With the grace and skills of any court acrobat, she used the other knee as a foot hold and front kicked vertically under his chin, snapping it upwards. Following quickly before he could recover, Lyrnya leapt up and performed a front flip axe kick, using the front flip momentum to add additional downward force to the kick. The result was a satisfying broken nose and knocked out teeth like his friend.

There! A Cheytan always pays their debts! Who else is next?! You, you tub of lard!?

Still pumping from the two knock out, Lyrnya had both her hands raised by her sides as if gesturing to a crowd for another opponent.

Karax could do little but smile at the little girls' actions. She were really combat trained, something that was rather interesting considering her size. Something she might have had used in her advantage quite often, depending on what she did in her own world. Though, in Karax' world she'd most likely just get shot and that would be that, but outside of modern weapons she seemed like she could do well. Even though the opponents this time vastly underestimated her.

Turning her gaze on the Mayor had him quivering in his chair to the level where you could almost see him considering bailing through the window.
"N-no... I'm fine..." he managed to mutter out to her invitation to have his ass handed to him, and a wise choice at that; the only wise thing this fucker had done today.

"So, Mr. Mayor-" the tone on that title were after a very short pause and a slight sarcastic undertone. "-where did you say we are now?"
Karax placed both maps on the table and realized with some comparison that the map the mayor wanted to sell to him was not only old and low on detail, it was horrible. Like a blind child using crayons with their feet to draw their parents. You can see sort of what it's supposed to be but... well, ok. Not that bad but it was quite horrible as far as maps went.
After some questioning and answering, realizing which way was north and where they were it seemed like the largest city was the one named Hineld southeast of here.
It'd take them between one and two weeks easily on the way there, which was fair enough.

"Well, I thank you for that, and I also thank you for your hospitality and to give us food and gear for the traveling" Karax stated with his trademark sheepish grin.
"What? I didn't d*" before the mayor got a chance to object his face was slammed into his desk hard enough for him to pass out.

Rolling up the maps Karax looked at his 'sister'.
"The Mayor ever so nicely is sponsoring our trip to Hineld!" he walked out of the office and looked for any other doors, finding one in the lobby outside which lead into a storage area, of sorts, which was just what was needed.
Grabbing a backpack and filling it with long-lasting food and some waterskins to be filled later Karax made himself ready for a week of camping. Hoping his adoptive sister would do the same.

Lyrnya couldn't say she was surprised when the pudgy blob refused to take on her challenge. At the very least she got enjoyment out of look at Karax squeeze the man for his worth, information and resources and all. In the end, with his hired muscles out, there was not much the mayor could do in lieu of refusing Karax's negotiation. It may not have helped that during the negotiation, Lyrnya was working off some excess adrenaline with some kicking stretches. Thankfully, she didnt have to do anything as Karax gratefully helped the mayor to sleep by a healthy dose of hard wooden table applied to the face.

Brutal, but effective. I approve. Also, the guards also donated to our cause.

Lyrnya retrieved the coins Karax originally used to bribe his way in as well as a bit of interest. Besides that, there was nothing of worth on them. Lyrnya wondered if they should maybe ransack the room some more, but decided against it and instead followed Karax into the storage room. As Karax stuffed sacks with food and water, Lyrnya took this time to actually get some proper travelling packs to store what little she brought over and properly stow her armor pieces. By the end, Lyrnya was more well packed and her armour wasn't sticking out and drawing attenttion. Of course, unlike Karax, she had more packs than her companion, but it was her gear.

Well, now we can go into the wild and survive for an appreciable amount of time and my armour and weapons arent sticking out like a sore thumb. So, we should leave as soon as possible. We should put as much differences as we can between us and the mayor when they wake up. Where are we heading to?

It didn't take long before Lyrnya was done with her packing as well and though she had more stuff to carry reason for it was to keep as inconspicuous as possible. Though her armor was nice and all that it drew way too much attention and would really hinder them going about unnoticed.

Karax wanted to ask about aiding her carrying, but he had a feeling an outburst and a rather vocal question about comparing her to a baby or a small creature would come to. So he decided to just keep an eye on her as they walked, in case she actually needed help he could just pick it off her rather than ask.
"We're off to Hineld, seems like that is the largest city nearby. Though he did say it might take a while." He smiled to her as he started walking.
"Though I agree, we should get away from here... They did see our faces, and though they don't have our names we.. I sort of stick out compared to most" he was referring to his pure white hair more than anything else. Not that Lyrnya doesn't stand out at least she could pass for a local with only some effort should she want to.

"I foresee a possible wanted poster in the near future." Karax said out not aimed at anyone in particular, and though he didn't really like the idea of it he somewhat did.

-----------
Having been on the road for hours, nightfall was closing in slowly and it should start getting dark rather soon. The trampled dirt road was actually somewhat well maintained though that could just be that it was less worn than one would expect.
There were sports of forests around, some larger and some just a few dozen trees, birds were making their sounds although some of them were disappearing as it grew darker.

"I say we consider a camp." Karax motioned towards one of the smaller forests. "The small forests should be having less native life... at least of the larger kind" he grinned as he walked off the road and started looking about in the patch of trees.
The color of the tent and sleeping bag he was donated were bark brown, and would camouflage itself rather well and automatically in areas like these.
Starting to set up his tent he awaited either an agreement or disagreement from his companion before he actually started doing any proper work. After all she might be better than him for things like these and it would be idiotic not taking in her possible experience.

Lyrnya would probably know where Hineld is, but that would be later when she would have time to study the map more indepth. It was quite obvious that the trip to Hineld was going to take a while, given the amount fo stuff the two had grabbed, that it wasnt a one day trip. That wasn't an issue. In fact, it was more relaxing and comfortable than what she was used to during military marches and expeditions and certainly at a more relaxed pace. The one thing she wasn't too pleased was the prospect of the wanted poster. It was a tarnished mark on her honour, but maybe they can get out of this world before it becomes a bit more... permanent in the form of incarceration.

Just great. Exactly what we needed. Lets hope this town and its mayor is small fry enough that the larger cities just wouldnt bother....

It wasn't that farfetched really. One village's notorious thief is a larger city's mere foot padder. Lyrnya seriously hoped that was the case...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just like a march, the hours as did the kilometers blasted by and before long, it was night and it was time to set up camp. Their best bet was the small forest off to the side. It wasn't so dense that it would be full of wildlife, but it was thick enough to provide a screen from the road. It was probably even just thick enough to provide cover for a fire. After quickly clearing a small area for them, Lyrnya began to set up her tent. Again, compared to military life, the gear they "borrowed", while not the most expensive and fancy, was much better than mil spec tents used for deep range patrols, but was infinitely worse than the Castras made by Cheytan units. Looking over to Karax, Lyrnya gave hima resignating shrug and pitched her own.

Beggars can't be choosers.

With practised ease, Lyrnya had her tent pitched, the inside set up, her gear all arranged, had the surrounding bushland around their campsite cleared of bushes to prevent anything from sneaking up and set up a few of her weapons around the camp for quick access. With that done, Lyrnya began working on the campfire, prepping a small smolder so that they can add fuel when they want it larger

Ok. thats the basic things set up. I'll go and set up some rudimentary security measures and traps around our perimeter and gather more twigs and wood for fuel after the fire is settled.

Karax had to take some hints from what Lyrnya did, which was, to be honest, at least partly the reason he let her go first. Eventually he managed to get his up properly, though a few more failings than she did... Not that it's hard to get more than none.
Stating logical things about setting up rudimentary traps and getting firewood Karax got a nice little thought on how to get bugs and the smaller stuff from creeping into their tents.

As soon as Lyrnya got some distance Karax gathered a rather sizeable chunk of energy in his body, as he stood there for the long seconds he got a weak luminescence as well as the odd thin tines of electricity jumping from his body to a branch or something in the air.
Then placing both his hands on the ground there was a pulse, feelable for anyone in the immediate vicinity of about 40 meters or so from the mage. This was far, very far from capable to damage this area plant-wise, but it was plenty to take out any bugs nearby and though that was not the main goal it certainly aided. No, the main goal was to give this area a very weak positive charge, would make most smaller things think more than twice before entering, should work as excellent mosquito repellant as well if that was a thing in these areas.

He also decided to aid in the fire, which was not really a problem. Lyrnya had done a good job with smaller things though they were in a position where flint and tinder was not a problem. Wanting to get a fire started fast he simply got hold of the closest dead tree, and like what he did with the ground before he sent a powerful pulse of energy through it. Naturally this was done after making sure Lyrnya were not too close... would be a shame to electrocute his only friend-like person. No, just the tree trunk, forcing it to explode from the inside, creating rather decent and large logs of varying sizes.
Stacking a few of those in an odd, perhaps rather poor but sort of functional camp-fire pyramid shape he, for the last time tonight, took advantage of his abilities. Sending a tine of energy crackling between his hands he positioned it so that it had to go through the wood before it got to his other hand, effectively setting it on fire with not much effort. And before long there was a rather decent and hot fire going. Keeping this alive should not be a problem.
For good measure he gathered some more wood, and with what he expected Lyrnya to bring back they should be quite well off tonight.

He heated up some rations as he sat down, waiting for his companion... Sort of wondering her reaction based on the sounds she would without a doubt have heard.
"Food is ready!" he said half-shouting as he weren't that certain where she was at the moment, she said around.. but around meant anywhere around.
Simply sitting there with his sheepish grin he wondered how much of a hassle this would be without his abilities. They, and by they he meant Lyrnya and Lyrnya alone, would most likely handle herself rather well. She seemed quite capable even though he actually had no idea.

----
After she had arrived and sat down, commented and whatnot he decided to gather some information about her.
"So... Since we might be stuck here a while. Tell me something about yourself, specifically what you can do besides swordfighting.. Or... Please go in detail there as well if you wish. Should we be attacked.. and if we get a bounty on our heads that is very possible, I'd like to know where we stand" he questioned, still sporting his odd smile.

Obviously, since they were not from this world, Lyrnya was kind of wary of what wildlife and flora could be comsumed. Preferrably, rationing their food and getting used to hunting in the new environment would be more beneficial in the long run, but that wasnt an option for today. Giving up after a short scrounging expedition, lyrnya was called back to her camp by some wierd noise followed by Karax calling for her. Her nose sniffed the air gingerly and judging by the smoke, Karax seemed to have cooked them their meals.

"Lets hope it taste as good as it smells... i am starving."

Indeed, food was ready when she got back. She also noticed a notable lack of bugs around, which was a relief. They didn't exactly have a bug net for their tents. With camp set and her comfort level surprisingly high, Lyrnya began to dig into the meal. It was surprisingly delivious, but hunger is an excellent spice. Karax, on the other hand, had other ideas than to eat and decided to interrupt her dinner.

"Hrm, shomfing abousht mysherlf? *Swallow* Well, im an expert in most physical weapons i guess. Swords, spears, axe, pikes, shields, bows, crossbows, slings, you name it, i can use it... for the most part....I am also capable of some magic.

How much, she didnt say. She may right now be quite proficient in it, but she isnt what one would call a prodigy and her inability to easily master magic isnt a fact she wished to broadcast. Therefore, Lyrnya did NOT go into detail, as Karax suggested, but at least she gave him SOMETHING in the form of her physical prowess. Between mouthfuls, Lyrnya shot the question back at him. Tit for tat. She answered, now its his turn

What about you? You did say you are a master in your element only. So does that make you a one trick pony?

Karax took in the explanation, and it was sort of clear that she preferred physical combat to magical one, even though she apparently knew some magic but due to how she deflected that away to return the question Karax decided to go into details about that later.
In stead he answered her question, which was basically his own back in his direction.

"One trick pony... well, I suppose that is correct. I only have my lightning magic and limited hand-to-hand combat. However my power comes from quite the stamina when it comes to magic, and my understanding of lightning, or electricity as we call it in my world. In my world it's much more versatile than in this. Like the ph*.. The black and glass object I showed you the cats on, that is simplest explained as technology, which all runs on a more mundane version of my powers. Though in a world without technology I have raw power, but understanding how lightning works means I can do a lot of things. Like how this area is now without bugs and small critters, I have charged the area. I can also use a byproduct of the lightning which allows me to manipulate magnetic fields"
As he explained this he supercharged his hands in a rather specific way and started to levitate some random screws he had in his pocket at the time.

"I can also use this power quite aggressively" a flick of the wrist had the screw embed itself in the ground nearby Lyrnya.
"Though that is the gist of it, I am indeed a one trick pony, but understanding of my element allows me to do quite a lot with it. I'm also quite powerful if I need to be" he ended that last explanation with a huge grin that kept it's place as he continued eating.

He explained his powers to a rather decent degree, but tried to keep it simple, though she might know some limitations of lightning magic she would most likely have no knowledge of how incredibly versatile this was in a modern world with electronics.
He also 'forgot' to mention how he could use his powers in tandem with his metal gloves, which had claws on spools of wire allowing him to do some remarkable feats. In addition to explaining the limits of his power, if he wished he could take out a large army by himself, especially if they were wearing metal on their body; like platemail.

After eating some, he decided that they would need the light to get some distance, unknown land and whatnot.
"I'm going to sleep. I don't think we need any guarding going, this area seems far enough away that we should be left alone."
Though that was based on almost nothing at all it did seem quite untravelled at the time they arrived here. With that he crawled into his tent and sleeping bag, trying to go to sleep.

His answer was oddly detailed, but vague at the same time. Sure he outlined important aspects of his powers, but it was nothing specific. Still, it wasn't like she demanded an indepth evaluation of his abilities so such an answer was to be expected. It was an odd approach to magic, however. For Lyrnya, magic was essentially rote learned and only those that have reached a high enough level delve into magic development. Karax, on the other hand, is less of a magician, but more of an artisan. Through knowledge of nature, he takes the raw power and forges magic in that sense. It would explain why he was restricted to only lightning. She could only imagine the sheer strain of having more than one element being produced in ones body. The anti bug power was handy and something Lyrnya appreciated greatly, but it was nothing compared to when he started to levitate some small screws. He said something about magnets, which she knew how they worked, but she did not know what that had to do with these screws levitating.

You lied! Levitation is different from just lightning!

Lyrnya was genuinely befuddled by now. He was able to produce electricity and manipulate objects as if through telekinesis. Just how much was he hiding? Lyrnya continued eating, eyeing him suspiciously throughout the meal. What didn't impress her was his lack of survival experience. No need for guard? Even with an entire platoon or even an entire division, you always have guards, and they were criminals on the run. Lyrnya knew it was no use arguing. Instead, when Karax moved into his tent, Lyrnya retired as well, but rather than curl up into her sleeping bag, it was light guard duty. Rather than wait outside by the fire as one would usually do, Lyrnya slept light and in a sitting position with her Yari standing upright at the opening of her tent. The slightest noise would snap the young warrior out of her meditative sleep and she would be onto the enemy in seconds.

Though not the most comfortable place he had slept in his life, it was also far from the least so. Falling asleep came easier for the mage than he'd expect under the circumstances though he would not really complain about a good thing.

Waking due to fucking brightness it seemed that he had slept through the night without problems as the fucking sun decided to mark its presence. Well, he didn't feel like shit or lacking the rested feelings, all things considered. So this was as good a time as any to get up.
No doubt Lyra had decided to either take guard or sleep light or some bullshit like that, he gave up explaining how the understanding of electricity worked to her when she called lies on his electromagnetism. He did understand her lack of knowledge but it was still slightly frustrating, likewise it would be quite the feat to explain how every living body produced a slight field of electrical magnetism called Biomagnetism. Science in his own word knew this as fact but... Lyra might be afraid to explode or something depending on his wording, and trying to go on to say that if in the right mindset and relaxed he could sense these fields around him. So, he was his own alarm-dog.

Using his magic made lighting the charred logs and remnants of the fire a simple task, though the sound of electrical energy jumping between his hands was far from silent. Had his companion not woken from his every so graceful exit from the tent only surpassed by drunken hippos she would at least wake now to the sound of a sustained arc screaming between his hands.
The fire was alive in seconds and food was being heated soon after that. Though birds had made their way back into the area they promptly got the fuck out of there as soon as Karax did his thing. But he couldn't care less, he had his smile as his closest friend and soon-to-be hot food preparing!

Now, for his companion to wake, eat and start packing the tent before he did so he could steal from her how to do it the best way. He could find out himself but that would take time and perhaps trial and error, this was faster and more fun.

Lyrnya's eyes cracked up at the light of dawn. It was just something that came naturally to her, to make the most out of daylight. One could never depend on the luxury of a torch and protection of numbers at night. A quick patrol needed to be done, so Lyrnya rolled out the kinks in her limbs, straightened her sleeping cover and quarters before striding out to make herself more presentable. Just because she was not acting with her unit did not mean that a soldier should be loose in discipline.... like Karax. There were standards and Karax was a slob by her books. His mumbo jumbo about his magic being able to instantly warn him of danger was convenient, but nothing beats diligence and awareness. With that in mind, Lyrnya went on her morning patrol to check on her warning systems and traps and to survey the lay of the land. If she was lucky, she may run into an open river or see landmarks that may point them in the right direction Unfortunately, luck is a fickle mistress. Lyrnya spent quite a bit of time out trekking. By the time she stopped and decided that it was a fools errand, the sun was most definitely up. It was pretty much this time of the day Lyrnya guessed the slack Karax would wake up

Lyrnya's guess was true. As the bushes thinned out, the smoke of a fire and the figure of Karax cooking meant that he had only just risen out of bed. That was really a non issue for now. The most important thing is that he wake up and be quick on his feet when it counted. At least he had cooked. There was SOME sign of initiative and effort, thankfully.

I see you have risen from bed. I have taken a scour around and the local area seems to be just forest that goes on and on for a while. Wasn't able to find any breaks in the trees to find any landmark.

Lyrnya took a seat around the fire, seeing if he had actually cooked anything for her before continuing

We have to make the choice of whether we should avoid the main road or trust our own navigational skills and trek through the forest. If we can find out where in the forest we left the road at, we may be able to cut our travel time down as well as avoid potential pursuing guards.

To sweeten the deal, Lyrnya decided to flatter the deterrent ability Karax boasted about last night. Just because she didn't know how it worked didn't mean it not might be useful. If it could stave off some of the beasts, then it was worth it.

You said your electro magnet power thingy was able to warn you and stave off beasts am i correct? If that is so, we can even further lower the risks of attack from monsters and beasts. What say you?

Lyrnya used strange words in Karax' book, though considering if they indeed were from different time periods, if even the same world, it was impressive that their language worked so well together that communication was even possible. Old or strange words would be the least of their problems if they had to use body language or miming... There was this time, though, that Karax thought he could read thoughts of someone.. He could have done that to he* no, stop thinking that way.. That person didn't survive with any functions beside decomposing into fertilizer...

He also realized that him getting up this 'early' was rather special, as he'd rarely get up before noon in any normal case besides the house being on fire. And actually cooking on his own accord without being whipped into it... it was weird to say the least.

Lyrnya started explaining her scouting results and a rather logical idea about how to proceed.
"Nah, I say we follow the road" he stated, his wideass grin growing even wider.
"The road is easier to follow and might be more interesting." he ended his explanation with... commoners logic, if that well planned out.

Having heated up some dried meat, but not before quickly dipping it in just a bit water to make it moisten up a bit and spreading the taste, he somewhat wondered where he had picked up that logic or skill before handing it over to his young companion.
"My sensing field works quite well, yes, though only towards living or metal things. However it's much more fun, interesting and easy to follow the road, wouldn't you say?"
The end of that sentence was almost taunting in tone, though at the same time it sounded somewhat like an actual question.

There was no doubt that Karax is an oddball, and that his ideas look strange and quite moronic unless one thinks about it. But interesting aside, it's much easier following a road to somewhere you haven't been yet from somewhere you are just there for the first time. So in his book this was a win/win situation.

After he had eaten, something he was actually already sort of done with, he started packing down his shit. Using a reversed method of what he did to put it up yesterday and what he could steal from Lyrnya if she started packing her stuff before he was done.

Lyrnya had to pause for a good few seconds to digest what she just heard. Easy to traverse and more fun was Karax's main reason for choosing the road. MORE FUN! If more fun meant having to engage and kill a few pursuing guards and increase tier bounty, then by all means, lets go for fun! Lyrnya was not pleased nor impressed and her flat look on her face reflected that. Silently, she took the offered meat and continued to listen while Karax described how his ability works on metal and living things only.

Thats all we need it to work for... beasts and metal weapons from what little pursuers we have....We are here not on a grand tour Mr Karax. We are here against our will and we need to find a way back, BUT BY ALL MEANS, lets treat this like some early schooling field trip.

So flabbergasted by his nonchalant attitude in regards to their situation, Lyrnya just simply gave up. He was definitely a few screws loose and Lyrnya wasn't the biggest fan of loose cannons having her back. Too many times, these loose cannons go crazy and betray her trust. As a result, Lyrnya bore a long, thin scar just off her shoulder on both front and back. She could not trust Karax, not at this point in time. Who is to say he wouldn't for some bizarre reason, when she need him the most, go off the deep end? No, it was best to treat Karax as something nice, but not something to rely on.

Whatever. Let's just get this packed and get on the road... we don't have a lot of time to waste.

The meat still between her teeth, Lyrnya went straight to her tent and began to methodically dismantle and pack everything. The routine of doing so put her mind at ease, at least for the few minutes she had. It was oddly calming, performing a quick routine. It gave a sense of stability and regularity and before long, the tent was packed, the rolls were rolled up and everything was stuffed into its appropriate bag and strapped up. Of course, she was done before Karax and with time to spare, Lyrnya began to make sure her spear was razor sharp. An odd niggling feeling was bothering her behind her mind, but she couldn't quite put her finger on what was bothering her.

Odd.... very odd....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ugh... Why... are we moving along so early.....? Its not like we are in a rush to go anywhere. We both can't die so we can take our time....

Each pause in her speech resulted in a wide yawn. It may have been a while since they have traveled together, but Musashi still could not get used to the randomness of her companion. In fact, she still quite figured out why she had left Mount Takama-ga-hara. She just did. It was odd given how much trouble she would stir just from leaving her home. After all, it is not every day that some giant from long ago mythology show up and walk the earth. To wake herself from her own tired state, Musashi grabbed her kiseru pipe and lit herself a quick smoke. The first puff filled her lungs before quickly being expelled through her nose. The smoke was actually aimed at her companion floating in front of her and with her size, the entire smoke trail engulfed the small being like a flame thrower.

Hey... stop ignoring me. I know you can hear me.

There was off course tons more factors to the radar that Karax had, it could not only detect living and metal things. But rather anything that disrupted a magnetic or electrical field; which was pretty much everything in a minor degree. But since metal was metal and living things had a bioelectrical signal they were vastly larger on said radar and required less focus to pick out. If he puts all, every single thought and available mental processing capability to reading this field, he could separate individual falling leaves within a short distance and the range he could detect metal and living beings increased quite a lot.
But he was not feeling like trying to explain how electromagnetism interacted with non-living and non-metal objects on such a scale, she had problems with separating Electromagnetism and telekinesis... Though he didn't blame her it was still a stressful thing to consider when explaining. Explaining electrical abilities were much easier in his own time when people knew the abilities of lightning and electricity.

There was also her reaction to what he said, she clearly misunderstood his intentions as him wanting to kill or murder. She didn't realize what he meant due to several reasons, one being that he didn't really give her much to work with.
Him actually meaning that he could sense people from afar and just leave the road if they were carrying metal and just leave the road then, or just, you know, lie or scare them away?
Karax was not the kind who liked to kill, he loved to show off and be admired, but though killing was a powerful show in force and did indeed trigger something primal in his mind, he preferred not to. Lyrnya thinking him as a liability and clearly not trusting him might be a good thing in the long run, he didn't know how or why but it could work out for his benefit at some point.

Being done with packing a short time after Lyrnya had already taken to maintaining her weapons Karax could not help but wonder what was going on in her head. His food long since consumed he was on his feet ready to move, along the road, off course.

"Odd? What's odd?" Karax asked his unlikely friend to her muttering thought.
Though he himself would most likely classify as odd, he naturally meant what in her specific thoughts at the moment.

-----------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The spirit was taking in the scenery ahead through it's strange mask, it was odd that it could even see through the glow where it's eyes should be, is... are there even eyes behind there?
It was bouncing towards their target like gravity was about ten times as weak as it really is, making for a rather absurd way of movement. Suddenly stopping in mid-air to get a non-moving look at things a plume of smoke enveloped it. It was like sand in water around a rock, enveloping it completely but not actually hitting it, fading slowly in the air around them.
Turning around it now had it's three holed mask pointing in the giant's direction, a giant at least ten times it's size. It looked at the smoke spewing creature for a few seconds before answering her question.

The answer came in the form of a slightly tilted head and a chiming sound akin to if one drags their finger across a four-toned wind chime from low to high tone. Completely useless to anyone that didn't have full control over this strange way of communication.

It hadn't managed to explain what it wanted to do or where they were going, main reason for this was due to the language barrier. The giant had been around the spirit for a while but though a very simple and low understanding had formed it was still very, very far from being used to explain any form of detail.
Turning around it gave a kick in mid-air with it's zygodactyl feet it started moving forwards again, still like gravity was barely there. Bouncing ahead like on some tiny moon.

it was moving towards a city in the distance, at least that is what it looked like as there were no other logical landmarks within the horizon-distance in the way they were moving at the moment.

OOC: Finish the Giant part later

Nothing.

It wasn't quite the truth, but it was nothing worth mentioning, just a feeling. The mayor of the previous town, despite being incompetent, was prideful and petty. Lyrnya did not think that just their show of force was enough to deter the mayor from sending a hunting party after his own safety was secured. Facing them and eliminating them was no issue. It was the fact that they had no sign of them at all. That could mean two things. The mayor was actually scared into keeping to himself, or he has sent a fast messenger to the next town or even their final destination. If it was the last part, that would mean that every town they visit, they will have some sort of wanted look out warning on their head. They would just have to be careful. If there was a pursuing party, official guards would be on horseback and that, they can hear.

Best be on our way as soon as we can. Faster we get to the next time, the easier we can blend into a crowd.

Without even waiting for Karax. Lyrnya hoisted all her packs onto her back and quickly remembered to wrap up her ears from sight. Honestly, even without her ears, they would be quite easy to spot. A pair with one being modestly sized and the other with white hair. The road did show a set of hoof marks, but judging from their stride, it didn't seem to be going at any considerable speed, so it might not have been a messenger. Lyrnya started off without Karax. There was only one way so it was not like he could get lost. She needed to see if there was more signs or hints that might settle the feeling in her stomach. She got what she wished for further down the road, but not in a good way. The path branched into two other major arteries, as indicated by the heavy amount of hoof marks. In face, the road they were on branched in, rather than the other way around. The duo was about to head onto a heavy traffic thoroughfare. Quickly, she called out to her companion

Do you still wish to continue on the main road?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was as carefree as ever. Right now, it was just sight seeing. Granted, Musashi herself was kind of glad to be out and about once more to enjoy the sights of the mortal world, but that was just supplementary bonus. Her companion tinkled in its usual fashion, causing a slight rise in frustration from within her. It was immensely difficult to understand what he, or IT, wanted. Musashi had to guesstimate and it always comes with mixed results. One time, she almost started a castle assault because of this. In this case, it seems to want to travel to a city in the distance. Given how casually it was going about, it most likely didn't want her to bash through the front gate and charge the castle.

Really? A city? You want to go into a city? Argh...this better not turn out like last time.

From her much taller advantage point, Musashi could spot that this city wasn't THAT big. Probably didn't have anything that would actually hurt her and she would probably be able to just step over it's walls. In fact... there was a very good chance that she was taller than their tallest structure. One thing came to mind, however. The surroundings was very plain like. Not a lot of elevations or rise and dips. That meant that there was nothing to obstruct the outlooks from spotting her nor was there anything stopping civilians from running off to report to the city when they saw her a country mile away. It was only a matter of time before she found out what greeted them. An army or open doors. Musashi bent down to scoop up her friend so that they made for better time before heading off

You better have something worth while to do in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
The little one had all kinds of points to her comments, though they lacked in fun or interesting she was right. Get moving as soon as possible was going to be the smart thing and though he didn't know what she was thinking he was guessing it was something along the lines of what he was.
The mayor from the village would either let this go in fear of losing face, or he would send soldiers after them. Or... it might actually be safer and smarter to just slap a bounty on their heads and let the 'freelancers' or larger cities take care of them.
Karax was actually rather smart, as well as fast. He had a radar of sorts around him and could detect metal and living people from quite far. However.... If an archer or ranger of sorts were to either send something his way faster than he could react, or a wooden arrow; he would be fucked. If he saw it coming it would not be a problem, but a wooden stick with some feathers on it hardly triggered his radar...

Lyrnya left before Karax did, even though he was done packing before she was; quick little imp, she had clearly done these things more than Karax had. And god did he miss his motorbike or a car at this point. His backpack didn't weigh that much, but it was plenty to become bothersome after a while of walking.

"Yeah, I think it's for the best, really-" he answered the fancy eared one. "-though we risk being seen, I doubt even if the word has been spread that random people we meet will know about us enough to stop us on the way. Besides, following the road is the easiest way of getting somewhere unknown." he ended with his trademark grin. Though the risk was higher, the odds of said risk happening was low enough that the benefits from following the road outweighed it. At least in Karax' mind.

----------------

It took a few days before they got to the next city, and as Karax foretold (read: guessed) the people they met didn't pay them more attention than their odd apperance already did. Or, than his odd apperance. Lyrnya had those funky ears but she had hidden them well and though she did look strange with her huge backpack and weapons on such a lithe body Karax was still somehow stranger to people. Must be his animal magnetism (read: electromagnetism).

There was a small crossroads just outside the large, tall stone walls, and there were a sign pointing down the different roads. The one pointing to this city read 'Hineld'. Oh! Good! They made it!
City was mainly of stone, building walls and roads. Roofs were either wood, more stone or straw. Carrying struts seemed to be of sturdy wood suggesting that the frame of the buildings were wooden then filled in with stone and a cement-like substance. Looked sturdy as fuck to be honest.
The road leading inwards towards the square was somewhat straight and seemed much wider and better than the ones leading out into the alleys or side streets. Clearly a main road type logic.
Strange looks were given as they entered but surprisingly little questioning or 'halt!'s', which was a good thing really, though Karax would love to get some attention, it's been awhile since he flexed his ego.

For now, Karax was eyeing the guards and the ones he expected would join in if a fight broke out, just in case that became a thing. Due to this he sort of let Lyrnya take a leading role and he simply followed for now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The spirit let out a pleasant jingle as it was picked up, actually allowing the incoming hand to make contact and lift it up. The movements, or rather stride, of the giant companion it had made for a much faster travel speed. Though the spirit could move quite fast on it's own accord it tended to bounce about and take it's time rather than rushing. It was almost like a tourist taking in the sights in it's own odd way.

The mask faced the giant and the spirit tilted it's head as she spoke about their destination containing something of worth at their location.
Worth? Everything was worthy of one's attention! Or, at least that was what the general concept of a third person view was with this creature, it tended to find even the smallest thing interesting. It once spent three weeks following a sparrow around just to see what it was doing at all times.

The giant stomped towards the city and due to the rather lacking cover she was most likely spotted from cross-country distances, it was rather clear weather today as well so no mist or rain to hide behind. Though the spirit didn't seem to care and rather held onto the giant's fingers with it's zygodactyl feet, lest it be blown away in the movements and air currents.

As they reached the city, or almost reached it. The spirit let go of the giant's finger and bounced to the side rater than towards the city itself. Making a series of plinks and jingles sounding like someone gently shaking a cloth bag with a wind chime inside, it fell to the ground like it was made of feathers before kicking off nothing at all in the air to bounce forwards. The next 'low gravity jump' was done on the ground and it was definitely heading somewhere but it didn't seem to be in the city.

The villagers around this area had panicked, some claimed the spirit was a good and benevolent creature only wishing good fortune and luck upon those who saw it. Others claimed it being an ill omen foretelling incoming doom and dread. As was the human minds often when facing the unknown.
Main problem this time, though, was the twenty meter tall person following it. The giant was a myth and legend to a similar level as the spirit. Those who had seen it believed but everyone else were sceptical. Makes one wonder what kinds of stories would spin now with The spirit and the giant being together heading... somewhere... over yonder.

About ten minutes of bouncing dataway, this time not letting the giant scoop it up and rather went on at its on speed, it headed into a clearing in a forest.
Stopping and facing it's companion, it tilted it's head to the right and let out a series of jingles and plinks sounding like a handful of varying sized glass marbles being dropped onto a thin metal plate. It's body language suggested to follow it, but a palm in a 'stop' manor before it was faced flat and wiggled forward made on wonder. The fuck was this thing hinting at... It's three fingered hand didn't make hand gestures easier to understand.

Moving into the clearing itself it bounced about for a few seconds as scores upon scores of ladybugs started flying about, it was a rather odd and incredibly fancy sight, this many in one location. It was like a wave of red and black buzzing washing past them, many crashing into them but only bouncing to the side and continuing to fly away. There were not any logical direction they were heading in but rather a chaotic dance of individual 'i fly dataway' thoughts.

It seems like the spirit had indeed made the giant travel a country's worth of distance to see a swarm of ladybugs take off!

Karax did have a point. The next town may have been notified, but it is unlikely a town on such a side road would have enough pull ti force bigger towns on these main roads to dispatch officers. It was more likely that they would slap up a hastily drawn wanted poster onto the already overflowing board and that would be that. In fact, their worth would be so low that they may just be able to waltz straight pass the main gates.

That is true enough. That pudgy mayor seemed too incompetent to be taken seriously. I doubt that the major towns would take anything he said to heart. Onward on this path it is then.

The road was becoming more and more advanced the further down the path they went. It seems that each town was responsible for the upkeep of their section of the road. The closer they got to the town, the more and more well maintained and built they became until the packed dirt road became paved and splitting into two way avenues. The flow of people actually increased as well. In fact, a small gathering of caravans and merchants gathered a short way off in an open field off the side of the road. As much as she hated to admit it, Karax was right. People were too busy with their own lives than to worry about two other random travelers. Several uneventful days past and without a single mounted patrol in sight, Lyrnya's guess came true. That mayor seemed to have had very little pull. By then, they have reached within the vicinity of Hineld. It was impressive, with its stone architecture. Lyrnya has seen much finer, but it still seemed quite a formidable defensive town. However, as expected of a town of this type, guards were everywhere and a checkpoint was approaching. It was make or break now.

Next... you there, name and purpose.

M..Mio. My name is Mio. This is my... brother Karr... We are apprentice merchants delivering goods to an associate in Hineld.

Internally, Lyrnya fist pumped. She was never good as a liar, but this seemed vague, yet believable. The guard, however, didnt seemed entirely convinced.

.....You don't seem that reliable. What are you delivering?

That caught her off guard. THere was nothing on their being that deserved special personal delivery... besides THAT

That... that would be THIS!

Lyrnya quickly brandished her spear and the armour inside her pack. It all hinged on this. Either he would accept it or they were accused of being thieves.

Holy moley... thats some impressive armour you have there.... i have not seem this style before and the quality and material...Harumph... hrmmmm

Sweat started to build up under her head cover. The guard was TOO impressed. This was what she was afraid of. Fingers coiling around the haft of the spear, just before she decided to pounce, there was a sudden ruckus behind her.

Hey! Whats the hold up! Hurry up! I got some lettuce to deliver!

Shut yer yap or I'll shut it for ya!

Taking the few seconds of breather, Lyrnya remembered a small incident in her memory with her cousin and decided to take one out of her book. Snatching the coin purse from Karax and putting her most sweetest voice, Lyrnya grabbed the guards hand and stealthily dropped a couple of silver into it.

The town must be real safe with diligent guards such as yourself. My master would be so happy to know that his master piece will be delivered safely within the security of these walls.

Aw shucks.... thanks little kid. Fine. Move along and make sure that masterpiece reaches its destination. Don't let your master down. NEXT!

It took all of Lyrnya's military discipline to stop her from wrecking the guards face as the duo shuffled along. Her knuckles were white with how hard she was gripping her spear and her voice strained over the gritting of her teeth. It was an odd sight, given that she still had her sweet smile on

We... are... in. What. Now?

Before Lyrnya could blow her top, more guards seem to be gathering and moving about, particularly towards the gate checkpoints. More important was the fact that several of them carried large stacks of thick paper. Lyrnya herself was quite familiar with these pages as she has pasted quite a few in her own current tenure in the army. They had to get off the street.

We need to get off the streets. Now.

Grabbing Karax's hand, Lyrnya yanked him along the streets, weaving about through the crowd and putting as many people between them and the soldiers. In fact, things were looking more and more grim. Rather than just normally patrolling, the guards were actually more like they were combing and searching and they were closing in. Not willing to get searched and cross referenced, Lyrnya took a gamble tried to go door knocking. It took six doors before they got a response from a heavy set door and a slot at head level.

Who is it! You know this doesn't open for another 4 hours!

The bouncer behind the door looked at Karax, who was in view whilst ignoring Lyrnya, who was hidden by her height and the limited view range of the slot.

Let us in! Its an emergency! Quick!

It took the bouncer half a second to see who was talking before glancing down at the girl.

Wa? Why? What emergency? Go somewhere else

The guards were inching closer by the second. Desperate needs call for desperate measures as Lyrnya shot a hand at Karax's money pouch, stuffed her hand inside and pulled out a bunch of coins. It was mostly bronze ones, but there were also a few silvers laced in there.

Here! Open up! I... uh.. I need to pee!

Once again, the speech of coin is the most persuasive argument as teh door swung open and Lyrnyapulled Karax in before slamming the heavy door closed. The sudden silence meant that every beat of her heart thundered in her ears. Only the loud clearing of a throat broke through. The guard stood there, hands outstretched. Nonchalantly, Lyrnya dropped the coins into his outstretched hands. Money was just a means to an end, so she wasn't so fussed about how much she actually gave. In fact, Lyrnyna had no idea how much she actually forked out.

I thought you needed to go to the toilet? Its over there around to the right.

The small Cheytan forgot about what she was forced to say to get in and reluctantly walked off, leaving the guard and Karax alone together. The guard looked at Karax for a second before opening his mouth, his hand lightly tossing the weight of the coins in his hands

You her siblin? You sure don't look alike. Looks like the small girl got all the good genes huh? Don't look like you from here. What are you two up to in Hineld?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thankful that the spirit didn't actually go for the town, but Musashi saw enough people flee in terror or drop down to their knees in reverence to know that the town KNOWS the duo were here. The spirit materialised so that she could actually carry it and its feet wrapped around her fingers was oddly soothing. It reminded her of the birds that used to tail after her and land on her in memories aeons ago. As they approached the city, it leapt off and decided to lead her on a merry chase, making long bounds and leaps without a care in the world. Unlike it, Musashi wasn't ethereal and mist like. She had to make conscious effort to not splatter someone in her chase, nor step too hard to avoid shaking buildings to pieces. It didnt help with some people staying absolutely still and others running like their heads were lopped off. There was no time however. She did not want to lose sight of the small bouncing ....thingy.

A further 10 minutes of tag later, the spirit slowed and stopped at a small forest clearing, but just stopped before she stepped a foot into the opening. The stop sign, thankfully was still universal. Peering over to see what it felt was so special for a cross country run, Musashi was met with a torrent of ladybugs that flew right by. Instinct was to wave her hand to shoo them away, but she knew that if she did that, her "wave" would shatter and kill every single one she hit. Instead, Musashi stood still, eyes closed and nose pointing down and waited until said stream subsided. The spirit stood there looking really proud and happy, but was met with yet, another stream of smoke.

That... was it? All that rushing and THAT was it? Sigh. Of course. Why did i expect anything less from you.

However, to her surprise, one of her faeries poked her head out from between her breasts and quickly blasted into her tiny whistle before pulling herself out and making a bee line for where the ladybugs flew off from. Many other small faeries popped out from all over Musashi and began to fuss about before they all lined up in two lines and began pulling on a rope they had fixed... onto thin air. Their face showed immense struggle and the rope was taunt, but it was just hanging there. Musashi squatted for a closer look, curious to see what it was and within a minute, a small popped echoed through the silent forest and the faeries fell back as whatever they were pulling materialised into their world. A small cheer echoed from the faeries before a bunch of them hoisted the pointy object and presented it to Musashi.

Hm. Maybe this wasn't a waste after all. A sanshiki shell huh? I'll take that.

Musashi promptly plucked the shell and slotted it into one of the empty loops on her ammo belt while the faeries clambered back onto their master.

Well. I got something good out of that and the ladybugs were nice enough i guess, so I'm happy. Not sure about the town though. Given how much uh... damage we did with our small run, i dont think they'll just roll over without doing anything.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.