Turning of the Wheel(Wheel of Time RP Discussion)

S

Seriack

Original poster
I was just wondering if there was anyone out there that would be interested in doing a Wheel of Time(As the name suggests) based RP or even RPG-esque. I've actually had a hankering to do this for a while now, but have been a little busy. The plot could revolve around either a new age or the age in which the books take place. I'm actually up for a new age(I haven't finished the books yet, so I have no idea if it ends there and Ages stop and all that jazz.... But, hey, AUs FTW, right?).

I'd be up for one.

But... if we're talking AUs... why not use one of the Worlds That Might Be? There's more than a few that were mentioned in the early books and some of them have basic background ideas... you just need to flesh them out.:D

Either way, a Wheel of Time RP could be fun.:D

Finally! Someone else!!! XP

That could work really well... I need to find where they are and read about them again. Or if you've got one already, we could start to talk about it now.

This tempts me to find that WoT RPG guide that they came out with... XD

I'd be interested-- there's a lot of potential in that world. Though it's been a good few years since I read the books, so I might need to do a bit of refreshing, I think it would be a lot of fun.

Yeah, might need a little refresher. It is a giant world... But like Widowmaker suggested, we could use one of the Worlds That Might Be, so we can pretty much tailor it to how we want. I don't know about you two, but I'd like it to be pretty similar to the one in the books, but have more wars or something like that. Maybe the kingdoms are less trusting due to failed attempts at espionage and assassinations?

What do you think?

Sounds good to me-- more of a feudal setting, then? Seems like it would give more opportunities for intrigue and action.

How closely do you think that we should tailor it to the WoT setting? I think that there are a lot of different ways that we could spin it.

Not too closely, but I still want Trollocs and that sort. Maybe the Seanchan, but that could be one of the missing elements. We could say Artur couldn't reunite the land through conquest and was instead exiled, but not across the sea. Also, maybe the Aiel are more... "Civilized"? They actually have relatively nice cities in the Wastes. And they're there because they wanted to escape the warring lands rather than being "exiled".

Just some ideas I'm throwing out. What do you think?

Oh man I love the Aiel.

Yes, that sounds about right-- I think the Seanchan could complicate things interestingly, invading at just the right point to shatter an uneasy peace, or something like that, though. But that could also grow too large in scope to easily work with.

Yeah.... Maybe! What we could do, is they are banished to the lands beyond the Aiel Wastes... And come to reclaim through the more civilized wastes. And perhaps the Aiel never gave up the Way of the Leaf, or what they called it, and so they don't fight back? Or maybe they are forced to take up arms and start to more closely parallel the WoT Aiel?

Oh, that sounds good! I think it would be fun either way. Maybe the Aiel could have a split in their society, where some people fought back, but others insisted that they shouldn't.

Very parallel to what happened in the book, but such a different arc, I like it. Alright... Now we just need more people... XP And more discussion, unless you think we should start it with these guides and just see how it pans out? I mean, I'm thinking about leaving it incredibly free, you can kill anyone, including kings... And as for characters, well, mine are going to die if they take too many wounds.

Also, I was thinking about leaving this as a semi-jump in/sign up. You can jump in at any time, but you create the character sheet. It will be... More realistic in that way.

Haha, that's always the trouble. xD

I think we should do at least a little more plotting-- it would be unfortunate if we all decided what characters we wanted and they were on opposite sides of an empire, haha.

But yeah, I think it would be a good idea for people to be able to join and/or create new characters freely. It would make things easier.

Yeah, as I was setting up the water to get a dry spot outside, I thought about it and I was like... Yeah.... What about the Aes Sedai... Or saiden and the Dark One... There are a lot of things to talk about still...

Oh, and if you are on the opposite side of the empire, I can NPC stuff for you. I was kind of planning on it... Perhaps get a couple others to help me with NPCing and the such.

Ah, that makes sense. ^^

I feel like we shouldn't make the Dark One a huge part of it, though-- we could just run up against the wall of "Person A shoots a powerful attack, Person B shoots a more powerful attack" and might lose the thread of the roleplay. What do you think?

I wasn't thinking of making him too big, but he will still sway some decisions. I mean, we should get some people to have Darkfriends and the such. As for the attacking and stuff... I've tried that before. I'm usually one that shoots his attack and lets the other person decide whether it hits or not and I usually lose out on scenarios like that. I wish we could have a dice system, but that would be way to hectic, I think.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you're saying! >.< I do that sometimes.

Yeah, naturally-- that makes sense.

Oh, I think we miscommunicated, haha. What I meant is that situation in a RP where everyone is attacking an extremely powerful character [ like the Dark One, if he were directly involved ] and nobody can actually damage him severely because he's an NPC and the Dark One, so a few pages and days get wasted.

I use that attack / decision option thing too; it's really the only way to make things even partially fair, haha.

Oh! I wasn't actually saying we would ever fight the Dark One! XP No, he'd be more like how he is in the earlier books: Behind the scenes orchestrating stuff, but never really getting into it himself. Plus we'd need a Dragon Reborn to fight him and we could have one... Maybe make a random number generator and have it choose a player... /shrug

Do you know anyone else on here that might be interested in this? I'd love to discuss with a few more people, get more idea bouncing around and such.

Sounds good-- we could probably figure it out once we have more people.

I actually just started here myself, so I don't know too many people. We could try putting a banner into the rotation, though I have to admit I'm not at all sure how that works, haha. ^^;

Ahh! Well, welcome to the forums! XP I've been around for a little while, but not super long myself. I'll talk to the person that makes the banner and see if we can get it all set up!