RiverNotch

any pronouns
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Look for groups
Hello! Would anyone be interested in playing a Tunnels and Trolls play-by-post?

For those unfamiliar with the game, Tunnels and Trolls is considered to be the second modern role-playing game ever to be published. The game was originally devised by Ken St. Andre as a response to Dungeons & Dragons -- not just a revision! Some of the big things the system does differently:
  • There are eight prime attributes: the big six, plus Speed and Luck. Also, Wisdom is really Wizardry, but we'll get to that in a bit.
  • There are three "character types": warriors, rogues, and wizards. Warriors fight better, wizards cast spells, and rogues -- well, they fight a little better than wizards, are able to cast spells, and get extra "talents", another thing we'll get to in a bit.
  • Everything is resolved with d6's. There are two main resolution systems: combat and saving rolls. With saving rolls, a character rolls 2d6 + his relevant attribute + the bonus a specific talent of his provides against the level of challenge he or she is undertaking. Combat, meanwhile, proceeds with the two sides rolling a number of d6's against each other, subtracting the smaller result from the larger result, then having the side with a smaller result take damage equal to the difference of the two results. Damage is applied directly to a character's Constitution score, with armor taking some of those hits.
  • Wizards and rogues cast spells by subtracting the appropriate amount of points from their Wizardry scores -- no memorizing of spells. Spellcasting is not diminished by wearing armor.
  • Experience Points may be gained by killing (or escaping from) monsters, learning from saving rolls, casting spells, and surviving certain scenarios. Levels are gained by increasing one's attributes, and with levels come more talents and improved spells.
The combat system, I think, is what really makes this more viable for play-by-post than Dungeons and Dragons: because combat is abstracted between the two sides, the players have as much freedom as they want in describing their actions. Of course, I will be changing some of the rules, but not to the point that, for those familiar, it would seem like an entirely different game, and I will be posting a summary of all my house rules if anyone shows interest.

As for what the roleplay is about, here's the pitch:

You are all peasants under the service of a single lord, the young Mr. Benjamin Hawk. All of you aspire to be adventurers, taking up jobs in support of that goal. Some of you became acolytes of Lord Hawk's chaplain, learning the fine art of performing miracles; some of you became conscripts of Sir Swan, Lord Hawk's marshal; and some of you, accepted by neither institution, became either novices under the local brotherhood of mystics, or associates of your village's more unsavory institutions.

High strangeness befalls your country, right after a bunch of buffoonish adventurers passed by your village to raid an abandoned mine. Said mine, it is rumored, was the hideout of the infamous Alexander Crow, a former chaplain of House Hawk who was exiled for practicing black magic. You've been hired by Lord Hawk to accompany him in his investigation. Your reward: well, what better reward is there than serving your liege? But of course, Lord Hawk also promises your freedom in pursuing adventures outside of his influence, which, to you, is of much greater value...

I'm looking for four players, each playing a different role.