True Beauty

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I don't really know why," he answered. "They could have left me if they wanted but I honestly don't know why they stayed."

One of the servants peeked from a corner before disappearing into the kitchen again.

"If they're staying by their own free will, then I'm certain there is a reason for it. Maybe they can't abandon their lady's son and are hoping for a day when the curse will be lifted. They might just feel helpless because there's nothing they can do to help and might even feel ashamed to face you because of those feelings." She suggested, though them hiding probably had quite a bit to do with how he looked now and how he acted before.

"Though that's just a theory, it's hard to know if I've never even spoken to any of them. Do you think they would hide from me if I tried to approach?" She asked, thinking about seeking them up at some point simply to see what was on their minds. Also, it was slightly scary to have people hiding in the shadows watching you while you couldn't see them. She'd rather know whom was looking than pretend they never existed.

Philippe stopped for a moment before he spoke. "I'm sure they wouldn't hide from you. It's just me they hide from."

He glanced over his shoulder and noticed two servants barely looking from the same corner.

"Have you spoken to them at all since you were cursed?" She asked him. "Maybe if I talk to them they could agree to coming out more often and eventually see that you've changed." April was quite certain that if the servants knew how nice he were then they would dare to come out from the shadows.

"You could try, but I don't want you to force them to come out. Also, they might be hesitant about seeing me more than what they're used to." Philippe was doubtful that the servants wanted to see him and would rather hide from him.

"Force?" She raised a curious eyebrow. "With what power exactly would I be able to force them to do anything?" April asked him with a slight laugh playing on her words. "I can give advice and facts. But I do lack the ability to force anyone to do anything against their own will. That is if you don't count smiling as cutely as you possibly can to convince someone to do something for you until they give up as forcing them to do it. In that case I would be quite guilty."

"No, I didn't mean-" He sighed. "You could try, I'm sure they would like you."

He looked to see if the servants were still peeking at them.

April giggled. "I'm not offended and I know you didn't mean it like that." She pointed out while wondering how long it might take for him to get used to her without being so tense. Loneliness could certainly give people a hard time to communicate their thoughts to others, it must be quite the wall to break through once one wanted to get back to the other side.

"I'm sure they will enjoy your company too once they dare speak to you."

Philippe grew silent. He really didn't know how to interact. He didn't even know how long it had been since he talked to a another person. "I'm sure they would enjoy me..."

A young servant inched toward April.

From the corner of her eye, she started to notice one of the servants. Was he trying to get a glimpse of the stranger that had been brought to the castle? Or was he worried for how his master would act towards the guest? There were many possibilities. For the moment she would see if he would come on his own if there was anything he wanted.

"I'm sure they would. But most of them probably worked here since before you were cursed, and as you said you weren't the nicest of people back then. It takes time for people to change their views on someone after they have seen one side of them. So don't be discouraged if they don't immediately." She advised him. While she wanted him to hope, she didn't want that hope to be crushed simply because it didn't work immediately.

The servant seemed intrigued. He started coming closer until he was halfway to Philippe. "S-Sire?"

"Yes?"

The servant jumped a little at Philippe's voice.

The servant finally decided to speak, though seemingly frightened just by a single word from his master. One could have thought Philippe had abused his servants in the passed. Maybe he had, but as far as she had understood he seemed to just have used words.

"Is there anything on your mind?" April asked nicely, trying to calm the poor servants nerves.

"N-No, m'lady. I just wanted to tell you that we are at your disposal, and you're really pretty."

Philippe chuckled. He remembered this particular servant, he was very young when Philippe was cursed. The servant wasn't really yelled at but he was always timid and hardly spoke.

A small blush spread on April's cheeks. No one outside of her family had every told her that she was pretty before. Well, Rupert had told her she was beautiful, but it had been in a way that felt more offensive as he pretty much used that as the only reason to why they should get married, and on top of that he had threatened to kick out her family.

"Thank you, I'll remember that." She said. "What's your name?" She then asked him. Not knowing someone's name when they offer their services would feel strange, hopefully she would learn all of the servants names soon. How many could be working there still?

The servant wrung his hands. "You're welcome. It's... it's Kyle, ma'am."

"Don't be so timid, she doesn't bite," added Philippe.

"I'm sorry, m'lord."

"Don't apologize."

"A-A-All right..."

April held her hand on top of her mouse as she giggled. She felt a bit bad for laughing, but his reaction was both cute and a bit funny at the same time, and slightly sad since he obviously didn't feel very comfortable in the room at the moment.

"It's nice to meet you Kyle. My name's April. And I would prefer it if you used that instead of m'lady in the future." She told him still having a bit of a laugh in her voice. "And if you don't mind, then could you tell the others that as well?" She would prefer to be referred to with her name instead of m'lady or miss, or anything like that. Though she would understand if they had a hard time adjusting to such a change. Servants were taught to always call their masters and ladies, m'lord or m'lady. It might be too much for her to ask for, but at least she could try.

"I'm sorry, April. I'll remember that," said Kyle. "And I'll tell the others that."

He walked back around the corner into the kitchen.

Status
Not open for further replies.