True Beauty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rupert sank back in his cushiony chair as he warmed himself by the fireplace in his large estate. Sipping some evening tea, he thought about how April would make a lovely bride. She would never have to worry about money again. Her family would be well provided for, maybe. And he would have the family he always wanted.

"I have never had time to take a wife," he said to one of his servants. "It's just that I realized that I'm lonely for companionship. And April looked so beautiful the last time I saw her. She's always looked beautiful, I don't know much else about her besides the fact that she loves her family and she does a man's work. That will be remedied. And I really don't want to kick them off the land that they seem to work so hard for."

He paused for a moment to gesture the servant to stop pouring the tea into his cup. "So, if April marries me, I will not let her cousin pay me another penny." He sipped some more tea, shooing his servant away.
--
Axel shielded his eyes from the incoming snowflakes with his arm as the wind continued to howl. Looking up quickly, he saw a faint light in the distance. He immediately spurred his horse toward the light. As the light grew brighter, he brought his arm away from his eyes and his green irises widened as they beheld a large castle. Opening the gate in front of him, his steed slowly ambled in and halted.

Getting off the horse, Axel looked around. "Hello?" he called.

He climbed up the steps and opened the giant bronze doors. "Hello? Who is master of this castle?"

Axel peeked out of the window to see his horse walking toward one of the nearby stables. Closing the doors behind him, Axel continued to call out with only his echoes responding to him.

"Are you sure you should go out in this weather, brother?" April asked once they had finished their dinner. He smiled towards her and patted her head.

"I finally found someone whom needed extra people. I can't quit after the first few days because of bad weather. I'll just deliver some packages and then I'll be back before the weather becomes too bad." He promised, though the weather already seemed bad enough.

"You don't even have warm enough clothes." She complained.

"That's because we can't afford it at the moment. But once Axel comes back I bet we'll have enough money to buy winter clothes and pay Rupert for at least the next three month's." He said with a confident grin. April smiled at his confidence, though it was hard to believe they would be that lucky. She just wished for money for their food and to get out of the marriage at the moment.

"There's no way that will happen, we'll be lucky as long as we have food at the table and can make lord greedy happy with just enough money every time he gets here." June said, completely destroying the bubble of confidence.

"Yeah yeah, you really know how to destroy the mood don't you?" He said slightly annoyed before giving his sister a kiss on the head and then he headed out into the dark. It was hard to see anything, but the evening did go by somewhat smoothly, though he had to spend hours at the fire place once he got back home. His feet was especially frozen and cold after the long walk to deliver some packages to different houses. The money wasn't much, and was definitely not worth the job in that weather. But at least it was worth it if it meant that they got to keep his sister with them.

"Hello?" Axel called one more time.

He stumbled across a grand dining room with all kinds of roasts, wines, and exotic foods. There was a small note at the one chair at the end.

I welcome you, traveler. Help yourself to any food that is on the table. I have a room ready for you when you retire for the evening. Do not worry about your horse. I will have it ready in the morning. In the meantime, eat and rest.

"Oh, how nice," Axel said to himself, sitting at the table. Reaching for one of bottles of wine, he heard a soft growl. Frantically glancing over his shoulder, the growling suddenly stopped. "It's nothing," he said and poured the wine into the goblet.

After having his fill, Axel got up from his seat and walked up a flight of stairs to a room just off of the stairway. Only taking his boots, gloves, and cape off, he crawled into bed and slowly closed his eyes.

It was late at night when the siblings and their cousin finally got into bed. Not April nor June had the heart to sleep before Olof was warm and was ready for the bed, even though he told them many times he was fine and would go to sleep shortly.

"I do hope Axel has found shelter somewhere." April murmured to herself as she looked out from her bedroom window. The storm was nothing any man or woman could get through at that point. She sighed lightly and looked towards her cousin whom was already asleep in her own bed. A sigh escaped her lips. "He's fine." She convinced herself before laying down in her own bed and let her worried wash away so that she could finally fall asleep.

It was sunny the next morning, with a beautiful snow carpet covering the ground. "I told you the weather would get better. If it keeps being this nice then he'll be home before we can even miss him." June told April before he took her things and went over to the stables.

April smiled as she looked out over the beautiful landscape. "Come home soon cousin." She whispered before starting her day with some shores, and later on joining the others in the stables.

Rubbing his eyes, Axel yawned and stretched in his bed before slipping out and getting ready to go outside. He briefly looked out the window and smiled when he saw only clear skies and a blanket of snow on the ground.

As he opened the bronze doors, he turned on his heel and bowed. "Thank you kind host for your hospitality," he said aloud, going through the doorway and approaching his horse.

Something caught his eye before he could mount. Glancing at the rose bush, he grinned and scurried to it. "Now I can put a smile on April's face," he said, plucking a fully bloomed yellow rose.

A roar echoed throughout the castle grounds. Axel froze for a moment. Maybe it's my imagination again, he thought.

He gasped for air as he felt a large hand snake around his neck. The moment he was turned around, his eyes widened and he let out a small gasp as he looked at a creature with the head of a werewolf, the arms and body of a tiger, the legs and feet of a ram, and the tail of a horse.

"How DARE you steal my roses?!" a booming voice thundered. "Those are the only things I love in the world, and you dare to take one for yourself! For this, you must pay with your life!"

"No, please, m'lord!" cried Axel.

"Silence! You are to call me Beast!"

Tears stung Axel's eyes. "Please, I beg you! I only wanted a rose for my youngest cousin. She asked me to bring one for her when I went to Berlin, and this is the only place I could find one. You must understand, I meant no harm. It's only one rose."

"A rose that-" The beast ceased for a moment before resuming in a calm, raspy voice. "You have a female cousin? Tell me, what is she like?"

"She's beautiful, sir," said Axel. "And she's kind, hard working, caring... She's a wonderful person who has a beautiful soul."

"What is her name?"

"I-It's April, sir."

The beast slowly put Axel down and moved his hand off of his neck. "I suppose I can spare your life," said the beast, "but this April must come in your place at her own freewill."

"No! I won't let her die because of me!"

"I won't harm her. She will be taken care of and I will ensure that she is happy here." He gave Axel a stern look. "You have four days. Either you or the girl must return here. If no one shows up, I will hunt you down."

"Thank you! Thank you, thank you!"

"Go before I change my mind!"

Axel hurried to his horse and rode off without looking back. The closer he got to home, the more he wanted to believe that it was only a bad dream. But the rose was still in his hand, and tears welled up as he finally set foot back on his property.

The day passed by slowly, and April couldn't help but look many times into the direction of where her cousin would come home from eventually. God forbid that something happened to him during that snow storm, he had to come back safely and unharmed.

After hours of work and constant glances through windows and stable doors she finally saw him coming on his horse. "Axel's home." She shouted happily to the others before running off without waiting for them. First after she had thrown herself into his arms and given him a welcome home hug, she finally noticed his gloomy mood.

"What's wrong Axel?" She asked, seeing his tearful eyes. "Weren't you able to sell your swords? Or did someone hurt you? Please tell me what's wrong cousin." She begged him, so worried that he might be hurt so she looked him up and down to try to see if he had been harmed in any way.

"No, I was able to sell them and get a few small commissions. And I wasn't harmed," said Axel, wiping a few tears away. "Look, if i tell you what happened this morning, promise me you won't think I'm crazy."

He didn't bother to notice that June and Olof came running toward him.

April looked confused at him for some seconds before answering. "Of course I won't. Common let's go in and sit down. You look as if you've seen a ghost. I'll make you some tea and when you've calmed down you'll tell me everything, okay?" She said.

"Did something happen?" June asked as she and Olof came up to them. April looked at them with calming eyes, though she did also look slightly worried as she herself didn't know yet.

"June, take in the horse. Olof, unpack the wagon. Axel needs to rest for now." She told them. They gave a worried look towards Axel, then towards April and then looked at each other. Olof gave June a little push towards the cart as he decided that it was better to do as he was told for now and then hear what tragedy had stricken this time later. June walked slightly unwillingly towards the horse as she wanted to be with her brother, but knew that April would take care of him until she was free from her job duties.

"Come on, let's go inside for now." April said again as they moved towards the house.

Axel drew slow, shaky breaths as April led him into the house. "I think... some tea would help."

He sat by the fireplace and clasped his hands together after he placed the rose on the side table. "Thank you," he said quietly before he wolfed down half a cup of tea.

"I'm sorry, it's just..." He shook his head. "It involves your rose. I stole it."

For a moment she thought her cousin simply was feeling guilty because he stole the flower, but that shouldn't have upset him that much. "Who did you steal it from? I'm sure if you simply apologize and make up for it that person will forgive you." April advised.

While she didn't like that her cousin had been stealing, that was a discussion they could take once he was calmer.

"No! You don't understand!" wept Axel. "I got lost in the blizzard and the master of a castle let me stay for the night. As I was leaving, I saw that he had a rose bush so I took one."

He buried his face in his hands. "The master of the castle is a horrible, hideous beast! He said he would kill me for stealing one of his roses. I told him that it was for you and now he wants either you or me to go back to the castle in four days. It's my fault. I shouldn't have taken the rose. And now I must go back and pay for it."

He began to sob uncontrollably.

April was more confused than ever before. "Calm down Axel. What do you mean with the master being a beast? Did he tried to hurt you for something as little as a flower?" She asked. He must have a horrible personality for her cousin to call the man a beast.

"And what in the world do you mean when you say that one of us needs to go back there? Does he imprison you for the sake of a small rose?." It seemed absurd that someone would make such a fuzz over a simple flower, even such a beautiful flower as a rose.

"The master is an actual beast!" cried Axel. "I stole the rose from him and he said I was taking what was most precious to him and that he would kill me! He is willing to spare my life if you take my place. I can't bear to do that to you, April."

He looked up at the ceiling. "Forgive me..."

First she looked at him in disbelief, not able to completely comprehend what he was telling her. But as the seconds ticked on she felt more and more convinced that he wasn't lying. If the man he had met was an actual beast or not was debatable, he could had been seeing things after all. But it seemed like her cousin had met someone or something very cruel at the very least.

"Kill you? I cannot let that happen dear cousin. What would become of me, your sister and my brother if you were to disappear. Olof has no skill in sword crafting, you are keeping us alive." She reminded him and through her arms around his shoulders.

"What would be worse? You dying just so that I would have to marry that awful man to keep the rest of my siblings alive. Or me going alone to make sure that you three are safe here." No matter where she stayed her freedom would be lost to man one or another, but she could not bear to know that her brother had died because of a request she made. She was at least as guilty as him for asking for a rose during the wrong season.

"No, I don't want you to suffer for me!" Axel pulled April into a tight embrace. "It's my fault! I should suffer!"

He thought about what April said. If he died, then she would have to marry Rupert to support everyone. If she went, then he could continue to support everyone else. Either way, we'll be down one family member.

"April, I love you as my sister. You know that. But I don't want you to take my place."

Tears filled her eyes as he told her not to take his place. "And I cannot send you to your death." She told him. "I asked you for a rose days before snowfall, and you tried your best to give it to me. You should not have to die for such an innocent mistake." April begged with all the rational arguments she could come up with for why it should be her and not him.

"We can't loose you. Please, please take me there, let me take your place. How am I supposed to live on knowing that you've dedicated your life for your family just to die in the cruelest of ways? Let me repay you for my own foolishness and your kindness."

Axel looked at April who was also beginning to cry. "Are you sure you want to?" he asked.

As much as he wanted to go back by himself, he admired April for wanting to go instead of him.

"I won't be able to live with myself if I don't." She told him with her tears finally starting to fall. "Either option leaves me with someone I don't love. But only one option keeps you alive." She then continued. Both situation would force them to loose something, but they could at least spare a life. Rupert just had to find some other poor girl to settle down with.

"If it's what you want..."

Axel gave her a sorrowful look. "I won't forgive myself if something happened to you. But if you're sure, then we can go whenever you wish. We'll have to let June and Olof know."

Last edited by a moderator:
"I am sure." She told her cousin. Yes she was frightened to leave them for a stranger, but she was certain that it was their best option at the moment. And she couldn't let their family be ruined.

"Let us enjoy the rest of the day together, you, me, June and Olof. Let's play in the snow one last time before the dark, let us build a snowman like we used to as children, and then drink warm chocolate at the fireplace when we're chilled to the bones by the cold. Because when the first rays of light hits the village tomorrow, then I want us to be on our way. For I fear the longer I wait the harder it will get to separate from you all." April said before standing up and taking her brother's hands.

"Let's go and get them."

Status
Not open for further replies.