Troopers In Armor: Vampire Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
"You talk to your other commanding officers that, ranger? I don't exactly tolerate shit talkers. Now, blame me all the fuck you want but I don't want to be in a squad on death row anymore than you all do" she said, starting to lose her patience with her underling.

Joe eyed her, silently, and after a moment of quiet that stretched between them only crossed an ankle over his knee, the picture of nonchalance. "Not to the ones I respect, Commander." He said finally, bluntly and without much care, eyes narrowing just the slightest fraction. "Every one of us 's got something on our heads tossin' us down skid row, and I've already seen yours crystal clear." He rolled his eyes towards the door, wondering if he should just go on and leave. "Forgive me if it doesn't instill much confidence in my lowly ranger heart."

((Joe is becoming much sassier than I first pictured XD))

"You're right. Everyone one of us has a stone pulling us down. If my story was as simple as I got bit but my body wouldn't quit, I'd be happy. But I was off in a military hospital under watch so they could experiment on me when I would turn. When it happened, I was street racing, going around a hundred and twenty miles in my custom Hyabatsu 4000GTP, and I saw someone stumble on the road. I slammed on my breaks and drifted into them even though I slowed my car down considerably. It was patient zero. He bit me and tore out a chunk of my small intestine. I woke up, had a green slip to go through special forces and I helped put down the problems on Gorath. So yeah, I've got problems. What if I didn't slow down? What if I wasn't bit? But I'm here. Oh, and you are also. Nothing you can do to change that, but by acting a little more respectful you might make it a little more fuckin accommodating for us. Oh, and since you brought it up, how about you share your little story for everyone. This is a group and we can-" she said, changing her voice to a mocking pitch, "Share our feelings with one another"

(I imagine Corbin sounding like FemShep to be honest xD)

He raised his eyebrows, expression unbelieving though he knew it was all truth. He just hadn't expected to meet anyone that had ever come in contact with patient zero. Not one that wasn't fully a zombie, at any rate. His fingers curled into fists of their own accord, eyes narrowing at Corbin until his gaze was just shy of a full on glare. "Now why in hell would I ever do that? Think it's gonna make us friends? Think were gonna get all buddy-buddy and hug it out? I got a sob story - like every other living thing in the galaxy. And their ain't any reason I should feel like sharin' for sympathy. I'm a soldier, not your friend." He got abruptly to his feet, fully ready to just leave and be ready to ship out. "And you'd better believe I'll be watching you as much as your six." As if this very moment, beyond the residents of that planet, she was the biggest threat to this mission, and he wasn't afraid to let her know that's what he thought.

Reactions: Maddeline
She pulled up his name on her wrist-band that had a tactical view of her team members information.
"You know, if I were to open up this service record- what would I find, Joe? Because I have a feeling your mom or your dad or your girlfriend or your sister or brother- someone close, got killed. Your pissed. I get it. And I don't care beyond your functionality. I feel sorry for everyone who lost everyone. But I'm just as human as you a- I'll beat you to the punch line, I'm not as human as you. Or 'natural' as any of you Xenos standing here. But I am your commanding officer, and I haven't had a horribly sour mission yet. In fact, I am prepared to directly disobey a commanding order and be thrown in prison to get you all back home safe and sound where we can all go to our broken families and try not to fake a smile. I may be a fuckin demon in your eyes, but I'm not the devil."

"Everyone who -" There was real anger in his voice, this time, jaw tight and fists clenched tight at his sides but by some miracle not drawing the rifle that hung from its strap around his shoulders, or the smaller firearm at his hip. "No. No, that's perfect." He sneered, and there was almost a bitter laugh underneath it. "Everyone who lost everyone. Hit the nail on the head, Commander." He'd lost everyone that had ever mattered, and through the struggle to never have it happen again, only Zersiphine had managed to wiggle past his defenses. She was the only one left, and the only one that matter.

"Reach your goddamn files, Patient." He growled, and turned on his heel to leave, nearly knocking over someone else's empty chair in the process. "You may not be the devil, but you've damn well got it growin' in y', and I ain't gonna be the one that gets caught in the mess left behind. I'll be ready to ship out when the time comes." They had no information. There was nothing else to be learned here.

"Lost your brother when he was scouting in your squad- mission report says the team couldn't reach him in time....that's tough. I'm not going to yell at you or curse at you anymore. I lost my only friend, an ex that I was still close to, my mother and father to the Titan outbreak. Patient Zero bit several hospital workers before I got chomped. For whatever reason, he was weaker when he got to me...", but that's when she buckled. She handy chosen to be special forces, she was forced. She didn't choose military, she was contracted from a hospital bed. She had the heart of a civilian and that would never freeze over; no matter how much training she had. Her eyes actually started to water and a tear gracefully traced it's way down her cheek. "I have wanted to be the one that died on Titan. A nameless infected tossed in a burning fire pile. I've wanted to turn back the clock and tell Jessica how I felt about her and that we could still work before she had her neck torn out. I've wanted to tell my best friend to not carry me to the military evacuation zone- because on his way he would get bitten three times and be shot down at a quarantine checkpoint. I would tell my parents to leave their homes, or I would have stayed with them rather than attempting to make some quick cash.... I didn't earn this position, I was forced into it. Like it or not, I am your commanding officer. You will obey me, and we are all coming home in one piece, alright? Do I make myself clear, ranger?" she said, wiping the single tear away and standing stiff and erect as she nervously buried her emotions that she had let overflow, which was an error. Part of leading people is that you must give up your emotions for respect. Movement leaders and politicians got to joke all damn day long and people blindly listened but in a gunfight you listen to the calm guy who says he can get you home. And she just lost that from her soldiers who were her responsibility.

Joe had shouldered past the others in the room by the time she started talking. The mention of his brother was what stopped him at the door, but something in her tone stopped him from turning and drawing a weapon on her, or shouting abuse where he'd only spoken it before. She was not goading him. Not anymore. She was . . . She was trying to compare them.

". . . Yes, sir." Joe said from between tight clenched teeth, and resisted the urge to hiss under his breath as he unlocked his jaw. "Clear as crystal." The file didn't say how Luther had died, now did it? Maybe if it had, she would know how fast he would take her down if she so much as spat in any of her soldier's directions. If he could do it to his own brother, he could do it to her. Even if she was so in control, and perhaps it had been just that one incident, with so many tortures behind her and being here without wanting to, someone was bound to lose a bit of their sanity -

No. No. He would not let her get to him. She was a patient, and she was orders he had to decide if he was going to follow, but she could not be a person, and he would not feel sorry for her. Feeling sorry for her was the first step into caring, and he didn't do that anymore. So instead he took another step forward, intending to finish making his way out of the room and go to Zersiphine's quarters to wait for her. He already had her weighing down on his heart. He didn't need more attachments.

"Squad- if you aren't completely ready, get that way. Whenever the big boy gets here, I expect we will be able to drop out an hour or so from the ship. I'm estimating an hour and twenty five minutes before mission start" she said, sliding off the table as her helmet assembled itself on her head, the different folds of telescopic carbon sliding up in a mechanical and smooth way to quickly protect the wearer.

As per the commanding officers request, Steve put his helmet on his head and made sure his Carbine was loaded. Checking his battery and spares, he confirmed that he had all 3 non-rechargeable batteries and 2 chargeables on his person, ready to be used should the need arise. The topic at hand seemed to be a rather sensitive one, Steve chose to stay out. Instead, subordination would be his route. Hearing that she was more than willing to disobey direct orders irked him every so slightly. While it was true having more forces saved was a good thing, if it compromised the objective, the outcome may end up being more negative than positive. Regardless, she was the commanding officer. Still, he had best voice his concern. "Ma'am, if I may. Should the objective prove to cost our lives, I am more than willing to complete it."

"Check your mission parameters, Engineer Steve." she said, with a bold and stark voice.
In his mission information from his armors tac pad was a update that was only for him- inside, the file asked...
<How good is your hacking? I'm not going to leave us planet side...If possible, I want to repurpose that distress signal for a drop ship to hear us and get us out of hell if need be>
Her eyes were slightly narrowed on Steve, hoping he would understand the need for secrecy if he was to do this.

Sliding his helmet on, Grayson made sure his weapon's were ready for use. Checking his magazines and extra revolver bullets, he said with a sly grin "So when this big guy getting her boss? I'm ready too cleanse a planet!" Taking out his revolver, he flicked open the revolvers cylinder and spun it, checking too make all 6 rounds were loaded in. Flicking it back into place and sliding his revolver into his holster he awaited the answer.

Paza led Brahl from detention back up to Corbin's quarters, filling him in on the mission as they went. "Hope you're ready for a walk through hell, big guy," the scout said as he opened the door. "Let's make a deal. I'll watch your front as long as you watch my back, deal?"

The scout and Deetrit sauntered into Corbin's quarters.

"Miss me much, Commander? Oh, and I think this," he jerked a thumb at Brahl, "belongs to you."

Paza led Brahl from detention back up to Corbin's quarters, filling him in on the mission as they went. "Hope you're ready for a walk through hell, big guy," the scout said as he opened the door. "Let's make a deal. I'll watch your front as long as you watch my back, deal?"

Rolling his head with a satisfied grunt, Brahl chuckled. "I've been through hell quite a few times." he said, eyes narrowing disdainfully. "Wasn't all it was chalked up to be." The towering Deetrit stooped low as the door to brief opened, allowing him to fit himself inside. With a wink and a fierce curvature of his wicked jaw, Brahl nodded to Paza, grasping the scout's hand in a brief shake. "Deal."

Standing back to his full height as he passed through the doorway, the Deetrit glanced around the room, taking in all of the new faces with an impassive sweep. An interesting array of individuals met his gaze, each with their own attitude and story to tell. He tipped his head to each in turn; his own silent way of greeting them all.

"Miss me much, Commander? Oh, and I think this," Paza jerked a thumb at Brahl, "belongs to you."

Crossing his arms, Brahl scoffed. "I belong to no one." He then loosened up, smiling at Corbin. "However, it's good to see you again. How's your rib holding up?" An apologetic expression adorned his face as he mentioned the injury he had inflicted.

"Pretty good- I know you didn't mean to. I didn't meant I try and bite your leg either, so we're even big guy. Alright, Brahl. We have a mission to be deployed beyond reinforcements and at a location beyond friendly deployment. There is a civilian structure of some sort, that after deleting all emergancy transmission information and the information on site, we destroy. This has the markings of a black op and I think they want us to die down there given the conditions provided" She said, trying to explain it as fast and detailed as possible so the Alien could get the idea quickly and then she could round everyone up on a speed pod and they could get planet side.

"Pretty good- I know you didn't mean to. I didn't meant I try and bite your leg either, so we're even big guy. Alright, Brahl. We have a mission to be deployed beyond reinforcements and at a location beyond friendly deployment. There is a civilian structure of some sort, that after deleting all emergancy transmission information and the information on site, we destroy. This has the markings of a black op and I think they want us to die down there given the conditions provided"

Pacing the room as she spoke, Brahl held a hand to his chin, as if he was submerged deep in thought. The tendrils on his head whipped about lazily, seeming to have a life of their own. In the moment Corbin finished her synopsis, the Deetrit placed his hands on his hips and huffed humorously. "Black ops mission, you say?" His eyes gleamed with amusement. "Superiors sending us out with no intention of our success or survival, you say?" A bit of a manic laugh erupted out of the aliens translator, followed by an abrupt and comical silence.

Slapping the knee joint of his hunter armor, Brahl sighed resignedly. "Hell, sign me up. When do we leave?"

"Within fourth-five minutes. Just run a quick suit diag and make sure your space sealed- those speed pods can shake apart sometimes. I'm assuming most people here have been in a speed pod landing. If you haven't, know that a pod doesn't have brakes. Every landing is a crash landing. If it doesn't land upside down or the way it's supposed to, we will probably all die and none of the test I'm about to say matters. Once we crash, the scout will need to exit before everyone else and get approximately a hundred meters from us. From there, the scout will watch for any infected that might get curious. We all get our bearings, make sure all of our gear that we need is with us, and hike to the location command promises to send us once we hit the ground. After that, I dont have a game plan because that's about the sum of what I was given"

Being notified of the personal mission update, Steve chose to respect the private conversation as he sent his response. "<Provided the hardware is function I am confident I can re-purpose the distress signal. Just give the order when you want it done.>"

"Everyone, speed pods are down by the engine room. Doesn't matter which one we take, they aren't reusable anyway" Corbin said with a nod.
"Ill meet you do-over there. There is no up or down in space. Forgot about that for a second."
With that, she checking her own armor suit, feeling now was the time to do it.

As the huge alien walked into the room, and eyed everyone, nodding respectively. As the Deetrit laid its eyes on Grayson, Grayson gave it a smile behind his helmet and whistled "Damn aren't you a huge thing? How about we just let you loose on those infected?" he said in a joking way. Heading out of the room he called out over his shoulder "See y'all in the speed pods.... Last one there is a rotting infected!"

Status
Not open for further replies.