[Trono, Alainn] Which Way is Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confusion, anguish, and grief haunted the maiden for the remainder of the night and into the next day. Confusion over the blind man and his sudden departure as she admonished the foul beings of the Night, anguish that she had let herself become so lonely as to put herself and her Forest in danger by inviting a servant of Darkness to her home, and grief over the wretchedness she had felt from her oppressors and the blind man in question. The blind man...

Who was he and what was his purpose in her wood? She had sent him off to the mountains along with the rest of the servants of Darkness so he was still technically in her domain. And still able to complete whatever business he had in her wood. The thought troubled her greatly and so she gathered together as many of her friends as she could muster who spoke Common Tongue. Several pairs of foxes answered her call, along with a flock of doves, ravens, and sparrows. A few rabbits even volunteered to seek the blind man and a doe promised the elf that if any blind man should stumble her way, she would be glad to pass along any messages the guardian might wish to send along.

And so it happened that as a few goblins were busily tying four victims to a tree, a sparrow came hopping over for inspection and twittered in a chirpy little voice, "Looking for a blind man, have you seen? Blind man graced by the Lady. Blind man in trouble or blind man is trouble. Not sure, but Lady is looking for blind man and this looks like trouble."

Now the word goblin to goblins was quite insulting and a general term as there were a few different types of goblins. These goblins were small probably reaching the height of a man's leg. The most distinguishable feature is their long crooked ears. One of the goblins began to sharpen a flat rock against another large rock in preparation for the human dismemberment. While two kept watch and making sure that no stragglers or followers entered their temporary camp.

Little did they know that a spy was already amidst a beautiful sparrow with an intelligence sparkling from its eyes. Two of the four sufferers looked up at the sparrow while one of the ladies continued sobbing without cease and the other seemed not to notice.

Of the two that noticed the female was in tune with nature as she had dedicated her to preserving rare herbs for medicinal use mostly. The other male only heard chirping. And so the female answered, "no one is blind here but we're in need of help. These goblins plan to do evil to us."

The male next to her ignorant to who she was talking to be answered her, "what's being blind have to do with anything?"

"Waaaaaaah, I don't wanna die," continued crying the other lady.

The fourth man, a mystery to all, asked, "who seeks me?"

Excited by the words of the fourth man, the sparrow flapped over to him and perched on his shoulder. It pecked at his hair, his clothes, and chirped in approval. "Found him! Found him!" The next set of chirping came too rushed to be understood by any of them, but the sparrow quickly departed from the makeshift camp. Several moments later it returned with a fellow sparrow and a party of ravens. The ravens, large and boisterous creatures half the size of the goblins from wing-tip to wing-tip, took to flapping their wings in the faces of the goblins and nipping at their tender ears while the sparrows worked diligently at biting through the ropes that held the prisoners fast.

There was such chaos and confusion on the part of the goblins that they did not notice their prey slipping loose from their binds one by one until the sparrows reached the knots holding the blind man. Enraged, the goblins screeched and cursed. Weapons used to ward off the ravens now redirected toward the prisoners, but try as they might, the force of the ravens kept them too occupied to go after them. The sparrows soon had the last man free and squawked at the four humans to run. The first sparrow settled itself on the blind man's shoulder.

The man with no name listened with little emotional response as the goblins with much frustration fleed from the premises and into the underworld. He then raised his eye brow as the sparrow landed on his shoulder and quietly responded in a sorrowful tone while coming to feet, "I was hoping to die or at least be tortured. But I guess that's too much to ask." After speaking this his sluggish eyes and his woeful countenance faced the sun with hopelessness. "Tell whoever seeks..." He paused for a moment as partial revelation came upon his mind and he turned his head to the other shoulder asking with a trace of displeasure, "How did you know I was blind?"

At the parting of the goblins, the ravens and second sparrow retreated from the waterfalls to the shelter of the wood spreading tales of their victory to any and all who would stay to listen to their boasting. The first little sparrow cocked its head to one side, then the other as it sized up the man on whom he perched. "Said it yourself, said it yourself!" it chirped. "I asked for blind man, you answered yourself!" It flapped its wings impatiently. "Lady seeks, you must meet her."

His coffee eyes beaded slightly as 'the lady" was mentioned. "Take me to her," he said while nodding. "I can't wait to see her," he added in a breathy tone.
It was then that he followed the feathered fowl through any path. Be it river or land, valley or mountain he'd slowly but surely reach his destination. For no feat to great when he ever he decided to do a thing.

Word spread quickly by twitter and growl of the sparrow's daring rescue and the bravery of the mismatched flock who aided him. It was soon decided by the forest gossipers that the missing blind man "the Lady" sought and this blind man the sparrow wandered off with must be the same human--- for to have two blind men wandering the forest uninvited was too much of a coincidence. The suspicions hadn't long passed from the rabbit hole of the Thicket brood to the attention of Chibbles the hedgehog when it was brought to the attention of "the Lady" herself.

The young elven maiden had spent this time wandering about the area where she had first encountered the strange man, wondering if he would return there to complete whatever task he assigned himself. As the tale of the sparrow's conquest passed from the furtive whispers behind Mrs. Thicket's paw to the ears of the hedgehog, "the Lady's" elongated ears trembled with the news. He had been found! She paused long enough on her perch in the trees to catch the general direction of the man's wanderings before fleeing from tree branch to tree branch towards the forbidding mountains. Like a dryad was she in her travels, melding from tree shadow to tree shadow and covering such ground a human or ordinary elf could not possibly keep up with.

'Twas a day's journey for her to reach the pair with her accelerated speed and the constant plodding of the human and the sparrow perched atop his shoulder toward her. That night she slept high above the forest floor in an old elm tree out of the sight of the dark things that prowled at night. Earnestly she hoped that the human had found a secure location as well but did not dwell too long on this point for the sparrow would surely know a safe place for them to rest. She did not stir from her gnarled bed until the first rays of sunlight filtered through the branches to alight on her face. Her eyelids fluttered open at the sound of the familiar footsteps.

She sat up startled, then dropped from branch to branch until the ground was in view. Sure enough, there were the man and sparrow in the distance! Had they travelled all night? Scrambling the rest of the way down the elm, her toes barely hit the surface of the earth before she was running. Instead of running straight to the man, she scurried up a tree near him and waited for their steps to reach her, much like their first encounter. The sparrow chirped happily as she approached and pecked gently at the man's ear to signal him to stop, its ability to speak Common quite done away with at his excitement of the meeting.

"Ah, sweet sparrow, thy effort I commend!
May thy wings ever go with the wind.
Thee hast brought me whom I seek
And now the two of us shall speak."

The sparrow puffed up proudly, for to receive a blessing from "the Lady" herself was indeed an honour and a story that it would tell its children and grandchildren for many years to come. It swept its wings in a comical bow and flew off to leave the man and maid alone. She turned her green eyes to the ragged man and addressed him in a more commanding voice:

"What business have you in my wood, oh man who flees with darkness?"

Reactions: Trono
It was true, they had walked all night. This rugged man, who the intelligent winged creature led, was determined to meet the only connection he had to the forest. Therefore did not allow for too much rest.

The man halted abruptly as his new friend once again pulled at his ear lobe. "I told you to st...," his words slowed down as he realized that there was another amidst. Whoever it was her presence was strongly felt like the heat pressing on his back from the sun's aura. Perhaps 'the lady' the sparrow spake of on a few occasions had come to meet the unlikely duo.

With little hesitation and no discernible guile he uttered in a strong tone, "my business is no more than any other creature. Sleep, eat and walk to and fro."

Realizing he spake a bit defensive, he lowered his tone a notch and voiced with a mix of shame and per confusion, "I awoke yestermorning bl... blind. I am not sure how nor when. It was than that the underground creatures took advantage of my depression.l

Her footfalls scarcely stirred the fallen leaves scattered along the ground as she dropped to the forest floor and closed the remaining distance between herself and the man. He was a curiosity, he who gave not a foul air yet felt himself wicked enough to respond negatively to her challenge. She clasped her hands behind her back and paced in circles around the man. Inquisitive eyes drank in every detail they had missed in the hurried flight of that fateful night. She mused quietly:

"What darkness hath thee in thy heart
That at Light's bidding thee must part?
Why doth the forest see thyself a danger
When all I feel is unresolved anger?"

Bringing herself full round to his front again, the maiden stepped closer and placed leathery fingers on either side of his head at the outside corners of his eyes, his temples, and just before his ears. The gesture was followed with a penetrating gaze into the murky, unresponsive eyes.

"A curse or the work of the dark arts I cannot tell," she said at last "but I can see your soul is not attuned with malice. Tainted perhaps, but not attuned."

Stepping back she removed her hands from his face and settled them on her hips. "You are a curious one, man who flees with darkness. You shall tell me more of yourself, these underground creatures, and your travels since while we wander towards my home."

His chin moved toward his right shoulder and then towards his left shoulder. His ears could barely hear the manner she encircled him, as the moon does the earth. Her rhythmic communication somewhat annoyed him but he barely shew any discomfort.

"I do not understand what it is you are asking me. The only darkness I have is in my eyes and I have no quarrel with your forest," he responded with a hoarse whisper. In a sharp tone but not ill-tempered, "I'm not angry." But as he spoke those words doubt entered his heart.

Before she touched him, he could feel her fingers draw nigh. Like a tree planted in waters so did he remain the utmost still as her fingers probed the superficial workings of his soul. Perhaps if she would of dove deeper, she would have noticed that truly a curse was upon and within him by someone of great power.

"There isn't much to say," he whispered to himself. For the first moments he was quiet as he began to follow her home. If the elven'ess took notice, the temporary companion walked in a normal pace, using his foot like a cane. His gait was a bit awkward, especially the fact he always made large steps. It almost looked like he was marching. On occasion he'd stumble but never to his knees. It was as if he was almost adjusted to being visionless. Like other blind men, he was much attuned to his other senses such as hearing, smelling and feeling. He could feel the light breeze touch the hairs of his arms and the twigs below the sole of his feet. In short, he walked with mastery despite his occasion slip and rising of his hand to slightly touch her arm – for directions sake that is. Surely he'd be blind for many moons.

"Yesterday morning I woke up with a terrible headache and most of all - blind. At that point I became very upset, sad but I-I-I don't know why. My sadness quickly turned into depression such that I allowed myself to be captured by the goblins," his tone faded into calmness the more he spake to her. His words commenced to flow out from his heart through his mouth like a river. He told her his version of the sparrows and ravens feat.

After he had finished telling her of his travels during the night, he stopped. "How did you know I was blind? Have you met me before?" he asked in a genuine tone.

She pursed her lips together and furrowed her brow at the man's words. His last question almost stopped her in her tracks, but she clasped her hands behind her back and continued skipping along beside him. Was this not the man she sought? How many blind men were wandering in her wood? He greatly resembled the man she had met last evening. Very greatly indeed, and it wasn't like the forest gossip to be wrong. But, she reasoned to herself, all men look alike. She glanced at the man's face. He did not recognize her, but she recognized him. What devilry was this?

"I met a man last eve by a pond," she replied cautiously. "He was about your height and colouring and.... he was blind." She picked up her pace a little. "I bade him come and sup with me, but the darkness... the darkness claimed him. I have been seeking this man since, and when I heard news that the man had been found, I came to see for myself." A sigh escaped her lips. "You resemble him, but then all men look alike to me."

Her last words caused his body to shift uncomfortably for two reasons. Surely he was no fool and yet he felt a fool. Was she being sarcastic - all men look alike? Or was she truly unsure if another in his similtude walked to and fro the forest? Nothing about the odd woman seemed insincere. Either way, he definitely was going through an identity crisis.

This brought him to the second reason of distress. Even if worse case scenario, she was a witch who had laid a spell in him. How did he not realize something was wrong? Why did he not remember the slightest details she mentioned - the pond, invite to eat, and the darkness. Unless this was part of the bewitching. Maybe she had eaten his memories.

"Undoubtedly, this man must be of the most wicked of creatures to deny supper from a woman," he said with humour masking his true queries.

"Tell me," the blind man demanded with respect. "If you one day travelling through the forest felt a thick malevolence in the air and under normal circumstances you'd flee from such. Except something within the marrow of your bones told you someone was in danger. However, when you get there three men lay on the floor hurt. The first man looked like a beast such that blood was in his mouth but there was a high chance he could be saved as his wounds were not unto death - if attended to on time that is."

He then gave a pause allowing her to digest his words. He then continued, "the second man was a noble ruler of a nearby kingdom who was badly wounded. A man who had always shown respect to the forest and bore great riches. The third man was unconscious and seemed to be wounded near the heart. Verily, his chances of survival were dim but you realize upon first glance this is your true love. What would you do?" Unlike others, he was not able to judge a book by its cover. Instead he relied on audio clues such as wording, inflection of tone, and the pauses they made between words.

The elf's steps faltered twice during the man's hypothetical tale. The first time happened during his own pause as consternation crossed her features and quickened her breathing. The second falter fell as more of a shocked stumble and occurred as the words "true love" left his lips. Though she quickly regained her footing, her composure was not so easy to recapture and she remained silent for a long moment as she gathered her thoughts.

What would she do? The question should be: What had she done? Shame welled up in her heart and gathered in her eyes as hot tears. Was this a mocking reminder from the beast of darkness? Had its power grown so greatly that it could ensnare Man for its pawn? No...no! The little bell attached to her ear tinkled as she violently shook her head. This is coincidental. The man knows not what he utters. She drew in a shaky breath. She had chosen wrongly when presented with this very scenario all those years ago. Now she would answer rightly, whether this man understood why she answered this way or not.

Her eyes she kept downward as her spirits were down and from her lowered head came her strained voice mixed with bitterness. "I would plunge my dagger into the heart of the one who bore my lover's face. The noble I would prepare a poultice for to slow the bleeding until such a time as I could tend him, for his time to depart from this earth has drawn nigh but as the guardian, it is my responsibility to protect the travellers who venture hither. The man who doth resemble the beast I would next attend, binding his wounds and wetting his lips with sweet drink to ease his pain."

She took a deep breath and raised her gaze to judge how the man responded to her answer. "This is what I would do, if I could but have the chance to do it again," she softly said.

The raggedy companion slowed his pace as she became tachypneic from what he assumed was frustration. Perhaps his attempt backfired and made her to kindle in anger at his foolish inquisition. No matter what, he'd hope to see her true colors. For it seemed she knew more of him than he of her [or himself for that matter.]

Most of what she said, in his eyes, was unimportant save a few words - my love and again and of course the tone which laced her answer. Now first things first but sometimes the end of things sheds light and is of most importance. When she said again, two things came to heart. One, she was madly trying to beguile him. Or two, she'd suffered a similar situation. without a doubt, a blind stranger with memory deficiencies could not by chance replicate every detail. More thoughts came to him but he didn't have time to consider all things.

He himself had a dilemma that he had to deal with currently - who was he? "I didn't expect such an answer but I was curious. How did you know he was not, who he was?" He allowed her a moment to answer while quickly switching directions with arms in front, as if the blind lead the seeing. He quickly found a tree and leaned against it. He was tired from walking all night and it was beginning to show.

After some time, whether she answered or not, he'd casually return to the original subject saying with a purposeful and comparable naivety, "perhaps I can help you find this man you speak of. In exchange for hot supper?" He truly was hungry and almost instinctively brought his hand to his belly.

If the man had been the beast himself he could not have twisted the knife more deeply into her back with that simple question. Though she did not want to relive that event, she did not want to admit how much pain the beast had inflicted on her soul. This man seemed genuinely unaware of her history, but then her love had seemed so genuinely real... Well, if this man was indeed the Darkness and the beast wanted to hear the sordid tale again, she would tell him. The last thing she wanted was to appear weak before her enemy. As the man paused for a breath against a tree, the maiden sat cross-legged on the ground beside him and leaned her back against the trunk. She then began her tale.

"Then I did not know. I was distraught. I did not heed the warning whispers." Her muscles tensed in her jaw and the bitterness in her voice grew. "Indeed, three men were gravely wounded. The Darkness was one, the kindly aged king another, and my love the third. Honour bade me tend the king first, so I fed the one who bore my lover's face drops of my blood to keep him alive. The one who resembled a beast I prepared the poultice for. The king did die in my arms, and as he did, his mouth uttered these words 'He deceiveth thee.' My lover's face melted into that of the Darkness and the beast, that of my lover's. Before I could do anything, my love was devoured and the beast ranneth free with my power fueling him." A sigh escaped her lips and she whispered, "If thou art a pawn of the Darkness, you already know this. Why torture me with remembrances of foolishness?"

The blind man then requested food. She frowned. "Food I can give thee, but not until you prove you are not in league with the Beast."

Trying to position himself against the jagged bark was a feat of its own. His back was full of discomfort. "I am ignorant and know no more than an ass but once again entertain my folly. It is possible that the beast worked for the darkness and used a mask to deceive you. Or..."

The odd man touched his eyes to see if they were there. "But what if the beast was your lover. Maybe your lover was truly a beast but durst not reveal that part of himself and he fled out of shame. Well... Doesn't that mean that your lover lives? Perhaps there was a side of him unknown to you - a side most are unwilling to accept. Surely the Kings time had come to an end as all things must. For he was aged after all and opportunity to grow, multiply and love is given to all men. And yet..." he paused after saying those words wondering about her choice of words, "yet you ask if I am a friend of the beast of darkness? If your lover was a beast after his own kind would you love him less?"

He accidentally poked his eye to hard, "ouch. Anyhow I can not convey my name to you for it is hidden even unto myself. Let alone know who are my friends. Perhaps this dark one is a close friend of mine and perhaps he is my enemy - I do not know. I can not tell."

The wild man of sorts put his fingers in his mouth only o spit out his long nails. "The key is in my name. If we find my name and in it is he whom you abhor. Will you slay me as you wish to slay him?"

It was clear in the man's ramblings that he knew not what she was talking about. Her love alive? Impossible. She had watched in horror as the beast...the Darkness himself...had chewed his body and spit out his bones. Was he with whom she spoke in league with the enemy? She did not know. The man spoke openly and honestly. He did not know who he was to even give her an answer to her question. She closed her eyes and sighed again.

"There is one test in which I can determine your heart," she whispered. "But if you fail, you shall be slain where you stand."

An eyebrow raised and his eyes slightly beaded at her challenge. "A test you say..." he said more to himself than anyone else.

Coming to feet he uttered, "I accept your test but I ask for something in exchange. You see I am risking much for your ease of mind. If I am what you think I am then I will be no more."

He thought to himself rubbing his disordely beard, "A life for a life. If I pass your challenge by living than you must help me find my name with your life."

The maiden opened her eyes again, solemnity settling on her features and invading her tone. "It shall be as you say." She stood as well and withdrew her dagger with a shaking hand. Slowly she brought the blade to her palm, her teeth biting her bottom lip firmly. A soft sound hovering between a moan and a whimper crept from her throat as the sharp edge slid easily into her rough skin. Then she held her hand, palm facing outward, toward the man and moved closer to him until her fingertips brushed his chest. The beast had tasted her blood once before and it would be impossible for him or anyone underneath his power to resist even a drop.

"Bind my wound."

Curiosity mixed with a suspense befell his countenance. Surely, she desired him to seek out a lost treasure or bind him to servitude unto her for seven long years.

However, his earnest interest quickly turned sober when she groaned with pain. His eyebrow raised when her footsteps came close. But when she touched his holey shirt, his nose wrinkled at the smell of iron and his eyes widened as her wet fingers passed through the skin of his chest.

He pushed her arm with disgust out of his face. "Am I a dog? Do you think you can entice me with a stick of perdition and feigned words?"

He then turned his body and began walking in the direction from whence they came from. "Do not try and follow me. If I find out that you had anything to do with my name that has been lost. I will charge thy debt," his words were serious and threatening. How can a blind man be so sure of himself? Did he not fear such royalty?

Status
Not open for further replies.