Traversing the Unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.
She knew his words were right and that he had reason to be saying them. She was nothing to her master, had nothing truly holding her here, had no reason to stay and every reason to leave. She knew that and had for a while. And that was part of the reason why Danny's words irritated her. She didn't know how HE did it, but she didn't have the means to just up and leave! He didn't have a vampire who'd likely hunt him down if he did. He stirred up hope and restlessness in her that she couldn't act on...was scared to act on and Athwyn didn't answer him because of it, not knowing what to say.

The white-haired woman crossed her arms as she walked, looking at the ground with a frown. She knew what she wanted to say. She wanted to tell him he was right - because he was - but then she'd have to explain why she wouldn't act on his words. And she didn't know how to explain that to him anymore than she knew how to really explain it to herself. Perhaps it was just fear - pure and simple. It was easy to dream. It was harder to act on one's dream and risk change.

"I do not wish to speak of this." It was quiet, but firm and Athwyn finally looked up and her green eyes met his yellow-violet. "I have made my choice and I might change it one day, but not today."

It was clear as the night was black that he had struck a cord to her and she was struggling to find means and words to accurately tell him yes, no or I don't know.

She choose to make it clear she didn't wish to speak more about it. He could respect that but that didn't mean he would ever agree with it. To him, she was denying her own freedom but that was only going to affect her.

Lacing his hands behind his head, he hummed looking up to the sky, "As you wish, Wyn but we both know you won't have forever either to change your mind." his final words on the subject his gaze lifting to see the large council if state hall down the ways. She had lead him to exactly where he needed to be. "Ah," a smile back to his face, "I worried about finding my way down here for the hall, but it seems your feet have lead the way. I may be able to start my trek sooner than I hoped."

Athwyn resist the urge to glare at his last words, all of them striking another chord within her, but the irritation soon fled as he pointed out where they were and some disappointment - that she was actually surprised to feel - took its place. He was going to be leaving and while she'd known that and had only known him for a day, it was still saddening. She'd liked him and his chatty ways, his stories and views on life...and his appetite. Remembering that would always make her giggle. It made a small smile come to her face now as the woman looked up to the elf who towered over her.

"I suppose this is where we part then." Athwyn kept her hands behind her back, rocking on her heels a bit as she smiled, green eyes shedding their serious thoughtfulness and instead growing peaceful and full of amusement again. "I do hope you find what you are looking for. Don't get into too much trouble. There are a lot of dragon ladies out in the world." She grinned, chuckling a bit and held out a hand for him to shake. She truly did hope he'd be all right and that he had fun wherever he was going. He'd certainly find adventure, that was for sure. It seemed to follow him already.

"Perhaps we will meet again one day Daniel Dieselle." Athwyn knew she'd sincerely love that, but couldn't help teasing. "Just don't run over me next time."

Perching hands to his hips grinning wide and excitedly, those unusual shades eyes came down to look over the human female with a apt fondness before he put his hand upon her head, mussing her hair wildly. "Aye this be our place to end today but I'll come back to see you of course. This is not end little Wyn. Especially if there are fiery women whom like to chomp me in half." Danny moved his hand to tip her chin upwards, "Be well and safe alright."

Stepping forward with a wave, he made his way to the hall.

Athwyn watched him go with a small wave of her own and a small smile. She shook her head and reached up to start straightening her hair out, wrinkling her nose at the tall elf's parting gift, but not minding all that much. She would miss him, but life would go back to normal for her and she'd know he was happy off on his adventure. The woman smiled at the thought and started back toward the house, knowing she had a ways to go, but happy to look at all festival decorations and goods all over again.

She'd gotten about half-way home when it happened. Athwyn never realized she was being followed and she didn't see the three people that converged on her until a hand was clamping over her mouth and she was being dragged backward into an alleyway. A muffled scream left her mouth, fear rising rapidly and then survival instinct kicked in, and Athwyn clamped down on the hand over her mouth. The male who held her gave a shout of pain, releasing her face and the woman got her feet under her, using her heel and stepped down hard on the junction between ankle and foot of her captor. Athwyn made a break for it then, calling for help, but she didn't get far before she was sent crashing into a wall by a force she didn't even see.

Athwyn's side screamed in agony, but her vision was going dark and she struggled to make out the two people approaching her - the one she'd assaulted on the ground tending to his foot. A male voice spoke first. "Are you sure this is the human?"

A feminine voice chuckled. "Oh, I am sure." A sniffing sound. "Yep. Definitely a fifth, maybe even seventh, generation human. Pure as can be. And see that white hair? Valeri blood, belonged to to the ancient family, many of whom were priests."

"So she will work?"

Athwyn blacked out before she could hear the answer, but she'd heard enough to be terrified as it was.

Tucking the export paper into the inside pocket of his jacket, it went very smoothly for himself to sign up, and have almost everything explained thoroughly. Now it was merely navigating back to the south gate if they before he was to get his bearings and head towards the swamp lands.

If he ever felt excited before, this was a whole new level. Exploration, freedom, adventure and possibly a saving grace of the gods gate. Yes. This was exactly what he had been looking for all those years in the dirt and grime of Naverir.

Lucky this time with Wyn he had been paying attention to his location, making landmarks as they went. So far he had been impressed with his easy one way destination. No alarming women, no people to accidentally run into, yes this was a fine way to start his day of adventure.

At least it was.

It hit him like a horse rolling overtop, heavy if the chest and unusual fear in his throat. He stalled his step in he way of others, receiving a disgruntled word though he seemed less inclined to pay attention. Attention shifted aimlessly around, attemptibg to pinpoint what transpired to leave such a rich and potent smell behind that would even catch his focus.

Curious eyes narrowed drastically, scouting the scene diligently as it seemed it wasn't long ago.Maybe an half hour to forty five minutes.

Correcting his stance, it was more in favor than there's that the scent pointed in his southern directon. A warning hiss in his throat dared to be audible but was not, him taking to sprinting quickly through the throngs of people, he had a very almost too disturbing thought to why he managed to find a trail of Wyn's scent and it didn't involve her master.

It really took no time at all to make it to the edge of town when he was following the smell, a muttering jumble of a departing greeting from the men who stood ready, and he twisted around twice checking the air upon picking the way they'd gone. Fresh and close they seemed to be fairly slow when it came to moving but that could be from one being injured or them carrying Wyn. Possibilities were unknown and he didn't care.

Trudging along, turning around every so often to make sure he was in the right track, Danny's gaze flared a warning as he came towards the three holding the unconscious women like a sack of flour. Two men and a female.

The hiss came this time as he made it very evident he was there, and making no desire to reroute his path away. This were fellow hunters for the gate, but in it for the wealthy prize rather than the benefit. He hardly thought he'd meet another team so soon but in this current time, he was glad for it.

"Release her." his tone came out darker than usual, sounding like two voices were speaking at the same time with his one, he was watching them carefully. He didn't know what they'd do and honestly it had been years since he had to defend against an on number. Not unusual but a while. Gremlin elves weren't known for their patience or love for many even there own, often getting riled up enough to scrap with each other, and most often than not, someone left with something missing. An eye, an finger, sometimes an entire limb, or worse case, there lives.

He wouldn't let them use Wyn in any sort if fashion they wanted and he was devoted to fight to a bitterness for it.

The female turned first, cat ears flicking toward the gremlin elf and then her nose telling her all she needed to know as the half-elf at her side turned as well. "Not the vampire." she stated calmly and the limping male, a rather weak water elemental, snorted. "Good." He looked Danny up and down and smirked, straightening up. "You guys head to the ship. I'll take care of the beanpole." He seemed rather confident in his abilities, even injured and in such a state because of a small human woman, but then again, he'd never met a gremlin elf.

His two companions glanced at each other, but came to a silent agreement that they could cut their losses with the elemental and the werecat clapped him on the shoulder with a fanged smile. "Good luck then." It was nearly snickered as she and the half-elf made a retreat toward the harbor, maybe a block away. The elemental paid them no mind, focused on Danny, waiting for the gremlin elf to make the first move.

"Sure you wanna do this? Not worth losing a limb over a human, is it? You can find your own, ya know." Well, maybe not one as pure of blood and not as easily, but hey, that was the elf's problem, not his. They'd been lucky to find this human and Seferina's nose worked like a charm. They'd been going from city to city, keeping an eye and ear and nose out for a suitable human and they'd finally hit the jackpot. She was female, too, far easier to keep locked up that way. Everything was going according to plan. Only hitch was this gremlin elf and he'd be dealt with easily enough.

Watching as the others decided to split a part leaving him with the one injured male, he was a bit insulted. But that wouldn't last long.

He smirked at the elemental, said nothing in return to his primitive jabs and darted surprisingly fast forward. Slipping to his left first in a fake out, he dipped grabbing the slender dagger that rested in his boot. Rolling aside, pressing his palm to the ground forcing himself to vault upward in a curve, Danny came up behind, bringing down the blade in a seamless arch, striking for the back of his neck. It was another fake out as he'd whip a long leg from underneath dropping the elemental to the ground hard. He wasn't here to slay but disrupt him from stopping his advance.

When he was sure he was down, Danny chuckled. "don't be so cocky," sprinting quick after the rest.

Unlike the elemental, Seferina and the half-elf knew what most gremlin elves were capable of and they didn't waste time getting to the harbor and the ships waiting as fast as they could. The elemental had only been a distraction and they knew it, but it had given them the opportunity to get away for the moment. They didn't quite make it to the ship, though, before spotting Danny again, hot on their heels and the male cursed, hoisting Athwyn more firmly on his shoulder. She stirred faintly with a soft moan of pain, but didn't wake.

"Now what?"

Seferina rolled her eyes and her tail lashed with irritation, ears going back and her slitted gaze narrowing as she shoved a bag at the half-elf. "I swear, I have to do everything myself." she growled before stalking forward to intercept the gremlin elf, stopping and placing her hands on a cocked hip. "So, she a friend of yours or are you just in it for the God's Gate? You're an adventurer, too, yes? Nothing saying we can't work together. Seeing as you took out Coltor, we have a spot open."

The werecat looked him up and down and smiled, sensual and dangerous. "So, what do you say? Any chance we could share?" She shrugged. "Or, you know, we could fight it out, but really, cooperation seems so much more appealing. After all, you could be close to your little friend, make sure nothing bad happened to her."

Slowly flipping the blade inwards to rest against the flat of his forearm as the female came to be the decoy another round, his ears pinned back at her speaking. Listening acutely to the cat woman attempting to be over the top alluring and sensual, he raised a brow to her. Though she was about as dangerous as a declawed kitten and he wasn't biting.

Rather he offered her up one of his own toothy grins tipping between the boundaries of silent chaos and hurricane madness. "Cooperation would be nice," the two toned voices spoke through his own, "Except we both know you aren't in it for that. No, you're in it for the gold and the less help you have the better." he gave a quick look to the half elf, "Probably get rid of your other accomplice upon the waters. And we both know you wouldn't injure the human, why? Because you need her to open the gate. I've done my fair share of research but apparently you haven't." Danny held his grin still leaning inwards a bit flipping the tip of the blade out again to roll the ring at the end around his finger, "Humans have to be willing to cooperate with you to open the gate and a hostage, even in their right minds wouldn't with the likes of a house cat and a wannabe elf." a daring brow lifted, "Listen pussy cat, neither one of us has time for this but;" Danny's irises narrowed drastically becoming thin slits within the vision of yellow sclera, "We won't come to an agreement either of us like." he wouldn't back down, "I'd hate to see what sort of hell you two get into when the vampire master figures out who took her. Even if you manage to kill me, can you fight him? I doubt it. So ask yourselves, are you really truly willing to take her and face the inevitable wrath that will eventually come, or give her back so I can face the vampire and you save your worthless hides?"

Last edited:
Seferina's hackles - metaphorically - rose at being called a house-cat and a pussy cat, but Danny's other words admittedly made her nervous. She didn't know about that part of the text concerning the human that needed to be involved. Was he right or was he bluffing? He didn't smell like he was bluffing. And the vampire. Damn, he did know about that which meant the human's bite marks were recent and not in the past. That didn't bode well and he was right about that, too. Dammit.

The werecat remained very quiet for a minute, watching the gremlin elf carefully. He looked ready to kill and far more experienced than she would have given him credit for. And he wasn't stupid, he'd proved that much. Tail lashing in irritation, she came to a decision and beckoned the half-elf forward. "Bring her."

"What?! Are you out of your mind, Seferina!?"

The female whipped around, stalked up to the male and grabbed his shirt in a hard grip, nearly unbalancing the half-elf. "Do as I say. He can deal with the vampire and when he brings that pretty little human to the God's Gate, we'll be there. There are more ways to go about this than just one, now give him the human." she hissed and the male looked disgruntled about it, but approached Danny and unceremoniously shoved Athwyn into him, uncaring if he'd catch her or not. Seferina smiled then and dipped her head. "There you go, elf. Good luck and I do hope we can do business again."

With that, the two left, disappearing down the street toward the ships.

He hid his surprise alongside that of the half elf amazingly well, slowly rose back up to again put the blade up against his forearm, using the cuff of bracelet he wore to keep it there, as the kitten barked at the man.

Though having Wyn shoved at him forcing him to act quickly behind awkwardly to catch her, he frowned at the whole thing. But seeing those two go scampering away into the street was much more relieving than he would have willingly admit in their presence. Exhaling hard, pushing the brown locks out of his face, he scooped up Wyn into his grasp reminded that she was still a small woman, but thankfully light. "Business right, low lives." he muttered.

He had been counting on the fact of the vampire being enough of a push to make those cowards go running. It went in his favour but that did leave the question of if that man would show up. That was a pressing thought that left even him swallowing hard. Experienced or not for himself, going up against that sort of creature would not be in his favour.

But that was for later, right now was getting Wyn out of the sun and possibly check to see if they had harmed her in any way that he could see. Not that he was planning on snooping on her. A few curious looks between him and those lurking around, and he made short work to find a suitable place to let her back rest up against a wall propping her upwards as he exhaled again; this time with pure relief. Giving her a brief check over, looking for wounds or bumps anywhere that he could see; a look across his shoulder and back again, he gave her a gentle tap to the side of her cheek. "Wyn?" he paused before again gently tapping and smoothing a hand upon her face, "Wyn, time to wake up."

Wyn. Wyn? Who called her Wyn?

Wait. Tall...tall and....chatty.

Elf. Gremlin. Funny name for an elf. No..no that wasn't his name. He.

Danny!

Blurry green eyes blinked upon slowly and flickered about even more slowly until they came to rest on the brown-haired male before her. She gave a faint smile at seeing his face that turned into a grimace as her body shifted and her hand found her side, touching tenderly over her ribs. She'd never felt pain like that. It was hard to breathe past it and the pain brought back the memory of what had happened so that she looked around with some panic, expecting to see the people that had taken her. All she found was Danny, though, and while the fear didn't fade, it was joined by confusion.

"D-Danny? Wha...what happened?" She looked around again, green eyes wide as a startled deer before coming back to him. "Someone grabbed me! I tried to f-fight, but..." Slow tears slipped down her face but her eyes met his again and Athwyn thought she better understood what had happened then without needing to be told. "Th-thank you." There was no doubt in her mind in that moment that she was safe now because of him.

Watching her stir only to have the fear and confusion preside across her face accompanied by the tears, he felt well, a bit guilty for her. It wasn't as if she had asked them to jump her and rubbing the side of her ribs, he had a fairly good idea what happened.

Instead he nodded to her attempting to explain, rubbing his thumb across her cheek to stop the tumble of a few tears, he offered her a softer reserved smirk. "Their gone now," eyes were keen on watching her for the time, though how shook up she was he pulled her close into his grasp. "Things are handle right? No need to fear right now, I'll take you back to your master and then you can forget about this whole ordeal, right?" releasing her a bit to look over her again, Danny lifted a brow. "Right."

Athwyn went in his embrace willingly, no fear or reservation about the action as she curled her fingers tightly into his shirt. She let the warmth, aura and smell of the gremlin elf wash over her, soothing the fear that was already starting to leave and she kept her ear close to his heart, listening to the steady rhythm and the rumble of his voice in his chest. She was safe. He was reassuring her of that and she believed him. She had no reason not to. He'd saved her and she could trust him. The rest of his words registered slowly, though, and though he pulled back a bit, Wyn didn't let go of his jacket and shirt, blinking up at him with slightly wet eyes that not longer cried.

Right?

He was waiting for confirmation that his reassurance was what she wanted, but the woman suddenly realized that she didn't quite know the answer to give. Or she did know it and was afraid to. But no more afraid than she'd been an hour ago, in the hands of people she didn't know, not knowing where she was going or who she was going with. And that was it, wasn't it? She'd been afraid to leave, was afraid to leave, and yet fate had been ready to take her away anyway. So why not do it on her own terms?

Green eyes met yellow-violet steadily and Athwyn shook her head slowly, white hair falling further down her back to brush his arm as she leaned her head against his shoulder. "No." It was soft at first and then the white-haired human took a breath, wincing at the pain it caused, but continuing. "No. I don't want to go back." Nothing back there had made her feel safe like this. No one back there would have come for her just because they cared. Danny had no reason to risk rescuing her and yet he had.

He was a friend if she'd ever had one....and had he not said it would be better to travel in friendly company?

"Can I...can I still come with you?"

Waiting for her to give him an answer to his own questions, feeling the curling hand close around the fabric if his shirt allowing her all the comfort and warmth she wanted; he hummed softly to her laying her crown upon his shoulder.

He had to admit to the nattering unusual voice in his head, that this sort of casual embrace was oddly very... Enjoyable. Such actions only seemed to show when gremlins were lost or lonely but it wasn't as long as this was. Not that he'd complain.

A twitch of an ear to her mumbling something softly before she would pull back to look up at him with those big green almost pleading eyes, astonishment appeared quickly on his. Giving it a thoughtful consideration not to seem eager with any sort of answer, gentle irises soothed into a relaxing calm.

"I am not here to tell you yes or no or even maybe. You are a free being yes? If you feel this is an action that you want to take, and only because you want too then I'd happily say yes," Danny smirked a little lopsided, "You are still welcome to come with, tis better with friendly company than troughs cowards who attacked you." thought paused upon his defined face, a hand rubbing to his pierced brow. "I see you struggling for air and we're rubbing your ribs, do you want me to heal those so they do not cause you pain?"

A passing glance from a few patrons milling through the open shady place. "If they are broken, I can mend them and if you do not wish for that just keep in mind ribs tend to take almost a year to mend on there own terms." truthful statement aside, he threw a cautious look around. He would need to explain all that happened from his own point if view and why those creeps tried to take her.

That would be a job in itself.

He spoke in such strange ways, but Athwyn liked it. She had since they met and his words helped her to feel...bolder, like she did have a choice. It was nice and new and scary and exciting all wrapped up in one jumbled mess, but she was finding she liked that, too. It was unpredictable, just like him. It was her choice, though? Well, she'd already said she didn't want to go back, so that was a decision, one decision. Where did she want to go, though? On her own? No. That was why she'd not left in the first place. It was too scary a thought to be on her own even if she was free. But with him - where she could learn and grow as he always put it, knowing she had someone to help teach her until she gained her feet?

Yes. Yes, that sounded like a far better way to go about this.

Green eyes blinked. Healing? She looked down and her hand pressed lightly against her ribs, earning a sharp stab of pain that made her eyes water. Athwyn nodded. "If you could heal them, I would like that." She sat up then and gave him a direct look, new determination in her green eyes. "I will come with you. There is nothing for me here, as you have said, and I don't want to stay here."

It was a definite decision this time and she felt good for saying it, a smile breaking across her face as she tucked her wild, white hair behind an ear.

"I'd be happy to mend," a slide of a grin to his narrow features though he paused momentarily in his actions while she sat up straighter only throwing him a focused look. Something new tumbling around in her eyes that seemed almost unheard of even in the short time he knew her - honestly, a day wasn't much to learn someone's habits and quirks but he was learning- and this resolute gaze was one of them.

Actually it was rather impressive to see such a spark brim into her eyes and he'd be happy to encourage it further. Perhaps not always a great idea, but he was willing to try anyways. "It pleases me that you are choosing such a different path in your lifestyle." he chuckled rubbing his palm to itself, "I'll make certain we are well but I doubt I have to watch your back so thoroughly. I seen the injured elemental which I presume you had a handle of knocking around." throwing her a subtle look under the cuff of his bangs, he stopped his advancement of a palm. He wouldn't go grabbing at her ribs just willy nilly and out of nowhere, knowing how well that could turn out. Either he would get slapped or she'd jerk away and injure herself further. Both not very appeasing outcomes.

"Though I must ask one question that might put a bit of a hitch into your stern resolution;" Danny's own focus became deeper, "What of your master? You said that your master would not like it? I dare ask merely because if I need to step up and protect you with your said help, I would like a bit of an advance warning. Pussy cats, half elves and elementals are not much of a challenge, especially when they are cowards, but vampires... well," he pursed his lips, "They seem a bit sneaky and tricky. I'd like to have some sort of idea how to combat something like that, and I doubt a bit of fancy dagger play would help my offense."

Athwyn smiled a bit more at his comment about her skills - which really were not that impressive, she knew - as it was nice to be praised, but the smile fell when he mentioned the vampire. The familiar fear came back into her eyes before she looked away from him and down at his hand instead. She didn't answer immediately, grabbing his wrist and gently placing it against the area that hurt the most, both guiding and giving permission all at once.

Swallowing hard, Athwyn bit her lip and shook her head slightly. "I don't...know how to fight a vampire. I...knew their weaknesses, but I've never run from one or fought one." Green eyes glanced to her arm, the one he'd healed before, trailing over the bite marks there - at least a good dozen of them, some layered upon the others and that didn't count the cuts. Twenty years she'd been raised with those who only wanted her blood and she'd never fought back. She suddenly felt ashamed of that. What kind of person didn't fight back, didn't protest that kind of treatment, didn't even try to run?

"I can tell you how he's vulnerable, but....I can't offer more than that. I am sorry." she explained softly, still looking down. She felt like a coward and Athwyn knew that by going with Danny, she was putting him in danger....and yet she still wanted to go. Did that make her selfish, too?

Having his hand moved to her ribs on her account, he went about his work thought twitching an ear in thought to her words. "I wouldn't expect you to know how to combat such an elusive creature, not even in your years of service to him. It was not what I meant to ask from you, but more of do you think he will come looking for you?"

Letting the warmth of the holy light seep through clothing, skin and bone alike to begin the mending process, his focus became more acute to that for a brief few minutes. He was at least skilled in that department and recently in the last day he spent more timing practicing it upon her than he had in a while. It worked in his favor to make sure the skills weren't rusty.

A tip of his head and a retraction of his hand to place both to his knees; Danny grinned mirthfully to her. "Do not offer anything Wyn, I am sure if worse comes to worse I should be able to figure something out to make sure your safety and mine own will be secure. If your said master comes looking for you because you are choosing to make a decision for yourself, " a thumb pointed to his own chest proudly letting the jut of a crooked self proclaiming smirk touch his features, "I'll made certain that you get to keep living as you decided. It is only fair to yourself and I am happy to be of any sort of assistance." Rocking back on his feet pushing himself up letting his hand dip down to offer her a hand up, he nodded short, firm and resolute. "Chin up Wyn, this is a new day and a new adventure that should not be looked at with gloomy green eyes but thrilling wonder. It is all for a better tomorrow and a better future right? I am glad you are accompanying with me, it will certainly make this that much more interesting and plus the extra company is a blessing. Though," a frown registered momentarily upon his lips, "We will have to make sure you are protected. I have a feeling in here," he motioned to his stomach, "That you may be very valuable goods to others who are looking for the god's gate and not for noble reasons. But rather you could be a mere pawn in their ploys to get what you would call coins."

He waved off such a notion, "The council of state has an offer of something like fifty thousand gold coins to whomever finds the god's gate. It is nothing but a avarice tactic to make sure others go looking instead of just pure curiosity and benefit to this planet. So," he'd pat her head fussing up the white tendrils again, "I'll have to make sure you are safe, comfortable and warm. It's the least I could do for someone who has been so helpful to me recently."

Status
Not open for further replies.