Transmetropolitan CHAPTER 1: STORMFRONT

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Taska Vilna

Original poster

This is New York City, Eastern United States. The year is 2235 and what's left of the world is trying build itself back up after the bloodiest and most terrifying nuclear war of the century. Following a vast socio-economical collapse and a period of martial law, the United States government has had to rely on several megacorporations to survive. This has given them a veritable carte blanche to operate as they will. You will take the roles of the citizens and bigwigs that now belitter the planet, the same kinds of hardscrabble people who previously lacked the street smarts and skills to survive in such a desolate, freakish environment. The game is simple, survive, with much attention being paid to combat, high tech weaponry and cybernetic modification. While both performance enhancing and recreational drug use are at an all time high in the majority of earth's history, both are seen as common place and are very much ordinary things.
The range of characters that you, as the players, can adopt is very diverse, ranging from hardwired mercenaries with psycholinked weapons and boosted reflexes, to Armani-wearing corporate mega-yuppies who make and break national economies with the stroke of a pen. Any persona existing in this strange and broken environment can be yours to command. And your job is to survive, or to be survived upon. To play, or be played.
The kind of Megacorporations that will be big news in this roleplay are as follows:

Biotechnica
, an Italian biotechnology, pharmacology, and cybernetics firm.
infocomp, a commercial think-tank and information repository.
Kendachi, a Japanese armament company, More dangerous than some might think.
Militech, American arms and mercenary contractor.
Petrochem, an energy company
Zetatech, a computer, cyberdeck, robotics, and cybernetics manufacturing company.
WorldSat Communications Network, a satellite communications giant.

Some terms that you will be using will consist of:
Netrunners
: Cybernetic computer hackers, the people who's bodies have been cybernetically modified to such extents as to allow them to become what are essentially human computers.
Fixers: Very simple, these are the Deal makers, smugglers, organizers and information brokers. you go to them when you want to deal under the table.
Nomads:Usually travelling in groups and even mobile towns, there are road warriors and gypsies who roam the highways. These people are the go-to guys for all your out-of-this-world chuck, there's nothing paranormal they don't know.
Privateers: Hardy world faring seamen, out to stab you in the back or to make a good bargain with you. These are the people who are out to pillage and steal, they often run you over in the seven seas, out to get supplies and other goods, as well as money, to sell on the black market back on dry land.
Solos: Hired assassins, bodyguards, killers, soldiers. Making money on the misfortune of others.
Rockerboys: Rebels who use music to fight the power. Partying hard and blasting tunes.
GROUPS

Corpore Metal - A society of full-body cyborgs that use Livemetal technology, where a modular braincase unit is inserted into a variety of purpose-built body frames. (Northeastern united states)
Edgerunners - the descendants of the anti-corporation Cyberpunk movement. Integral cyberlimbs are replaced by Neo-Cyber technology, in which detachable articulated frames called "bracers" worn over the body can be modified to perform all the functions of dedicated cybertechnology. (Mostly Europe, some of the eastern states.)
Reef - an undersea community whose members are heavily genetically-modified to adapt and survive in the depths of the ocean. (australia)
Riptide Confederation (連盟の荒海) - a fleet of Japanese floating arcologies that were cut off from their country following a nuclear civil war. They use bio-engineering to make living "tools" to aid them. (Japan)
STORY
Chapter 1: Stormfront

Currently there are two major factions warring for control over the north-eastern U.S.
A large group of netrunners, rebels from Europe whose intent is to take down all established business that has come up as a result of the survivors. Concerning the other side, there aren't any organized counter-movements, but there do remain a few who would protect what they still have, those few would be you.

You as the characters are responsible for chosing one of these sides, or none at all, working to simply survive with what little you have. You play the roles of mercenaries, nomads, and other citizens. Either city dwellers, or the netrunners working on the coast. Eat or be eaten, my friends.
This is the stormfront.
Chapter 2: Shockwave
COMING SOON
Chapter 3: The Fall
COMING SOON

-SOUNDTRACK-
CHAPTER 1

1. Two Steps From Hell - Am I Not Human?
2. Opening CH.1 STORMFRONT: Why Me, SKOLD vs KMFDM
3. Losing a Friend
4. Moving on
5. Inside The City
6. The Fight
7. Open water
8. Grand Central
9. Under the Streets
10. The Flagship's Final Battle
11. Diplomacy
12. The Lemon Pop Club
13. Lemon Pop 2
14. Lemon Pop Battle
15. Desperation - Salvare
16. Ocean #8
17. The Scent of a Woman
18. "Cleanliness is next to homliness"
19. What's left of yesterday?
20. Like love
21. Subtlety
22. Wasting time
23. Hacking Music
24. End of chapter 1

-Character Themes-

1. Eden's Theme: [x]

CHAPTER 2​
1. Opening CH.2 SHOCKWAVE: Chopperhead, Two Steps From Hell
2. New Tokyo
3. Kendachi
4. The Hive

1. Romdeaux is god of this roleplay, see that hand reaching down from the clouds? That's them.
2. No playing god, it's not cool.
3. No killing without permission, also not cool.
4. You may have as many characters as you want.
4.5 Provided you can keep them all up.
5. This is a LGBTQIA(+)-friendly roleplay, no worries.
6. Respect everyone, no racism or sexist behavior, or any other kind of hate. Don't ignore players, no one likes to be left out.
7. Leave "Megacorp" somewhere in your skellington, so i know you read this.
8. Romance is, welcome. just don't get out of hand.
9. Intermediate skill.
10. Don't quote the first page.
11. Highlight the entire post please.
11.5. Lol you did it? the absolute madman!
12. All out of character posts will be made in the OOC thread.
13. I'm overwriting rule #7, leave "godsend" in the spooky bones, instead.

Please follow every single rule on this list and nobody gets hurt, see?

: A great portion of ideas for this roleplay, including place names, and gameplay additives, come directly from the "Cyberpunk 2020" game franchise and are copyrighted as such, any violation of terms of use can and will be punished to the full extent of my arm. The "transmetropolitan" portion of this roleplay's title, comes from and is in direct correlation to the "Transmetropolitan" comic book series, written by Warren Ellis, this title is copyrighted to him and him alone, I have no connection with him and and in no way affiliated with him nor his badassery.

SETTING
cityscape_banner.jpg

New York, 2235, Post-nuclear war

=The Small Streets of The Upper West Side
=The Ruined West Coast of lower New York City as seen from The Waterfront
=Upper East Side, On the Left is the lamp post outside of the Lemon Pop Nightclub.
=Coast of The Upper East side, as seen from Astoria
----------------------------------------
||The Lemon Pop Nightclub||
----------------------------------------
LP1

LP2

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is where you will post your Spookellingtings.

Code:
[B]They call me [/B]_Username Here_[B][[COLOR=green]ONLINE[/COLOR]]
But In here, I'm [/B]_Character Name Here_
[B]I've Roamed these streets for [/B]_Age Here_[B] Years
Here's My Card [/B]_Picture here(If you put some mainstream scenester in an august burns red shirt here, I will eat your face off.)_
[B]I Swing To The [/B]_Need an Orientation Here_
[B]I specialize in [/B]_Any Skills or tricks up your sleeve go Here_
[B]I work for [/B]_Your home company or job here(IE:what role do you play in society)_
[B]My cold steel [/B]_Weapons and/or Items you carry around_
[B]Here's how it goes [/B]_Your character's bio goes Here_
[B]Additives [/B]_Anything Else? Put it here_

I have to say I'm interested, but I've been off this site for two months now and the layout has completely changed for mobile.

Once I get my laptop shipped out to my base I'll go ahead and post up a character sheet. (Week max)

I was thinking a body guard except that they control defense drones/mechs/robots or whatever they might have from a safe area, kind of like a Drone Operator in today's military. If that's alright of course.

I really like the character idea. Of course do consider you'll need a character who has some reason to interact with the rest of the roleplay lol, it is mostly drama/suspense, intermingled with action.

But yeah, the wait is fine, as I'll need to accrue additional players as well. lol

They call me Orange Juice[ONLINE]

But In here, I'm Aisha Castle.

I've Roamed these streets for 21 Years

Here's My Card aisha.jpg

I Swing To The middle, it doesn't really matter to me.

I specialize in getting things. It doesn't matter what it is - drugs, information, cheap cybernetics.

I work for myself. You'll see what I mean.

My cold steel is a pistol. I don't use it much - people don't like it when you wave a gun around in their face.

Here's how it goes. Most people work for the big corporations, the rich assholes who throw money around like it's confetti. I don't need that in my life. I'm rich, but not in cash - I trade secrets, cybernetics, and drugs for each other. It's better than cash, it's what I need. What you need. And no one is going to rob you of your secrets. That's the best currency, the intangible kind that sits in your head. Now, some people don't like me or what I do. They think I'm rude or dangerous, but I'm not. I'm a nice girl, easy to get along with. Just don't waste my time.

I was born and raised here, in this little bit of New York. Things weren't always as good as they are now, if you call my broken apartment good. At least it's mine, which isn't what my mom could say for herself when I was growing up. We lived with grandma, and sometimes mom would go out for a while and grandma'd watch me until she came back, coked up and out of her mind. I knew what she did to make money and pay the bills. That's not important.

Back to the now-times. I don't like cybernetics, never been a big fan of 'em. I got a few - better hearing, better memory, fantastic sight - but they haven't really grown on me. I don't need 'em, except for maybe the memory, but damn they are pretty useful. Still. It took me a while to even get these, back when I was younger and before I discovered the cheap, easy way of acquiring what you need or want. The good way, the efficient way.

When you need something, come to me. I don't care what it is. I'm the best around here, if not in quality then in the fact that I won't kill you if you don't hold up your side of the deal. I might be a little scary, or a little mean at first, but trust me. I'm not all bad.

Additives When it comes to what you want, I'm a godsend.

They call me _Schizophoria_[ONLINE]
But In here, I'm _Eden Taggart_
I've Roamed these streets for _19_ Years
Here's My Card _
3feb736bd9807514867a7e606936aa1a-d4tqfje_zps64e17edc.jpg
_
I Swing The The _
Straight_
I specialize in _
Making people wish that they hadn't done what you paid her to punish them for doing._
I work for _
What Eden does is she takes out the people who don't do their jobs, skip out on bail, and 'forget' to pay for their goods, shes a bounty hunter, and a good one. She's got a gun and you'd better hope it's not pointed at you._
My cold steel _
[1] Remington-AI Custom Bolt action Special Application Sniping Rifle: "The Negotiator". 33 lb (15 kg) with scope, bipod and a loaded 7-round detachable single stack magazine, effective range up to 2,500 yards (2,300 m), and fires .408 Cheyenne Tactical rounds at 783 metres per second.
[2] A Browning high power 9mm pistol.
[3] Biotechnica OM-7200 series ocular prosthesis. (Proprietary, military-grade) These eyes are enhanced with a variable HUD and digital zoom capabilities of up to 200x. Making the use of a scope normally obsolete, even so, nothing beats the classics in a pinch.
[4] Biotechnica GM-800 series Brainchip, homebrew. (Particularly illegal, not to mention crazy dangerous) This little number was something Eden originally ripped out of an ex-sniper for a local high-end Fixer ("ex" because he is no longer a sniper, nor alive). Before she got her hands on it, it was a standard Biotechnica model Brainchip, placed on the frontal lobe, used to make you think a little faster. After her modifications, however, it now interfaces with her prosthetic eyes (an easy feat when working with the same brand). It can display information about her brain as well as allow her to access wireless networks. The new chip is also several chips, the original placed on the frontal lobe and two more placed on the occipital lobe. The latter are the illegal ones, not to mention the modifications to the original. These auxiliary chips modify the rate and power at which her senses operate, giving her potentially limitless smell, hearing, sight, etc. This is optional, however, due to it being unreasonably strenuous on her brain, as well as deadly if used for too long.
_
Here's how it goes _
Eden Taggart wasn't made for dancing, cooking, or raising a family, she was made for fucking people up, and she's good at it. Raised in a single mother's home, she went to a rough school in the middle of the New York ghetto, she learned quickly how to keep herself out of trouble, at least the trouble she didn't want to get into. She's committed multiple felonies, and hasn't once gotten caught, she specializes in seeing everything, but rarely being seen, she's a killer, who works for no individual company, only the one that pays the most money. _
Additives _
Miss Taggart is one of those girls who doesn't like to lose, which is why she rarely does. She holds a strong grudge._
Theme Song _The Perfect Disposition_

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm. Interesting. Very much so. If I were to say... Be a robot? Would that be accepted? Just the sort of idea I'm putting out there. You know. Being completely unbiased and beimg shaped by others.

I should hopefully be able to stop by the computer room here on base since I've yet to be given a mailing address to get my laptop out to me.

So either today or within the next few days I'll get a CS up.

They call me _Funell_[ONLINE]

But In here, I'm _Yan Wade_

I've Roamed these streets for _24_ Years

Here's My Card _Yan Wade_

I Swing To The _Straight side of things_

I specialize in _Keeping people alive (atleast most of them alive), high up CEOs, Representatives of State, Drug Lords, it doesn't matter if they pay high enough he'll protect them._

I work for _Myself, I'm a contractor. I work for the highest bid more specifically. I specialize in Robotic Security... And I'm not just talking program a Robot to "Go here, Follow him, Shoot the baddies" kind of programming. No no, mine is much more cutting-edge, so to speak. It's called "Neuromancing", essentially, I sit in my base of operations (Definitely not my apartment..) and connect my mind to a robot that has been prepared for my use. As such it's not the robot that does the security as much as it is me controlling it. I see from it's eyes optical sensors, I hear from it's microphones, I move it's limbs, and in many circumstances now a days, I pull the trigger. To me, I can be anywhere from 100 to 1000 miles away and the danger of it all is 0%, well more like 3.7981% in the case of a sudden dissection of the neural link between myself and the robot, but I tend to not think about that. To the people who hire me however, I'm a godsend._

My cold steel _A 9mm semiautomatic Beretta. Nothing fancy, just enough to keep me safe in the case of some sort of a gun fight erupting on my morning walk to the coffee shop (Highly unlikely might I add)._
Here's how it goes _I've been in this business for quite some time, nearing on six years now. You fuck around with me, or any of the bots I might send you for me to link with, and I swear to god you won't be waking up with all four limbs sometime next week. It's pretty simple, don't screw me over and you'll get what you payed me for... Most of the time. Six years and 2037 jobs and I've only lost 79 of my employers. Sometimes the enemy just brings to many people or way to much fire power for myself to protect anyone, I lost my bots in those fights as well. Damn shame they're expensive you know?!_

Additives _Wade has a Cat named Sanchez, it's jet black and likes to cuddle up on his keyboard. A big fan of coffee._

Hm. Interesting. Very much so. If I were to say... Be a robot? Would that be accepted? Just the sort of idea I'm putting out there. You know. Being completely unbiased and beimg shaped by others.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Let me help you out with constraints, just because it is a rather (grey area) withing the lore. BUT YESSSS

YES.

yes.

pm me.

They call me _Funell_[ONLINE]

But In here, I'm _Yan Wade_

I've Roamed these streets for _24_ Years

Here's My Card _Yan Wade_

I Swing To The _Straight side of things_

I specialize in _Keeping people alive (atleast most of them alive), high up CEOs, Representatives of State, Drug Lords, it doesn't matter if they pay high enough he'll protect them._

I work for _Myself, I'm a contractor. I work for the highest bid more specifically. I specialize in Robotic Security... And I'm not just talking program a Robot to "Go here, Follow him, Shoot the baddies" kind of programming. No no, mine is much more cutting-edge, so to speak. It's called "Neuromancing", essentially, I sit in my base of operations (Definitely not my apartment..) and connect my mind to a robot that has been prepared for my use. As such it's not the robot that does the security as much as it is me controlling it. I see from it's eyes optical sensors, I hear from it's microphones, I move it's limbs, and in many circumstances now a days, I pull the trigger. To me, I can be anywhere from 100 to 1000 miles away and the danger of it all is 0%, well more like 3.7981% in the case of a sudden dissection of the neural link between myself and the robot, but I tend to not think about that. To the people who hire me however, I'm a godsend._

My cold steel _A 9mm semiautomatic Beretta. Nothing fancy, just enough to keep me safe in the case of some sort of a gun fight erupting on my morning walk to the coffee shop (Highly unlikely might I add)._
Here's how it goes _I've been in this business for quite some time, nearing on six years now. You fuck around with me, or any of the bots I might send you for me to link with, and I swear to god you won't be waking up with all four limbs sometime next week. It's pretty simple, don't screw me over and you'll get what you payed me for... Most of the time. Six years and 2037 jobs and I've only lost 79 of my employers. Sometimes the enemy just brings to many people or way to much fire power for myself to protect anyone, I lost my bots in those fights as well. Damn shame they're expensive you know?!_

Additives _Wade has a Cat named Sanchez, it's jet black and likes to cuddle up on his keyboard. A big fan of coffee._

Too much yas for me to explain in words.
+9999 charisma for Sanchez the caffeine addicted cat. VERY dystopian.

Reactions: FrostedCaramel
I might get a CS up! Just let me do some research before confirming ^^

I read over everything, but not an idea is popping up >.< I'll poop something out though if the idea comes!

I read over everything, but not an idea is popping up >.< I'll poop something out though if the idea comes!
well, yo if there's anything else you wanna know, just ask!

well, yo if there's anything else you wanna know, just ask!
Well can I use modern things as a reference or should I be looking for more futaristic things? I was thinking about doing a small time PMC group that works with what scraps Militech left behind.

Dude yes. That's a great idea, would you be operating a head of the group?? or like.. the whole group??

thats a bit confusing, but yeah a lot of the kind of thing is flourishing in both good and bad mindsets. Contractors who give the highest bidder a strong military power are used up as quickly as they're made up in the higher ranks of the corporate ladder, and several groups have offered their time and services to protect others. One such group is the Central Park Municipal Defense, who offer guard duty and protection for central park's flourishing market stall business.

Dude yes. That's a great idea, would you be operating a head of the group?? or like.. the whole group??

thats a bit confusing, but yeah a lot of the kind of thing is flourishing in both good and bad mindsets. Contractors who give the highest bidder a strong military power are used up as quickly as they're made up in the higher ranks of the corporate ladder, and several groups have offered their time and services to protect others. One such group is the Central Park Municipal Defense, who offer guard duty and protection for central park's flourishing market stall business.
Well if I do run the group I'll operate as a leader function, but if not I'll simply tone it down to just being another cog in the machine. If you need me to do such a thing ((Run a group of NPCs)) though I can do it boss!

I might take up that group you're talking about though... It seems like the type of group that isn't as thriving as the big names but still has a bit of a good image.

Well if I do run the group I'll operate as a leader function, but if not I'll simply tone it down to just being another cog in the machine. If you need me to do such a thing ((Run a group of NPCs)) though I can do it boss!

I might take up that group you're talking about though... It seems like the type of group that isn't as thriving as the big names but still has a bit of a good image.
They're just a largeish group of volunteers who organize under their label, and work to distribute food rations from home manufacturers as well as protect the park market area, as i noted before. ordinary citizens otherwise, up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.