Transhuman Blues: The TFOS-Verse adventure world of Feiss

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Not as yet. We don't have anyone on-planet, hence we sent you. Everything we have is second and third hand accounts. One thing to note, however, is the fact while most scientists who work on the Uplift project or similar find the term Moreau offensive, these three and a handful of others do not seem to be bothered by the term nor the connotation. As you may know, the term Moreau was coined for scientists working on any animal Uplift technology about the same year that the Galactic Alliance discovered Terra. That's really our only clue as to what the organization - if any, The Emerald City doesn't have solid proof, that's why you're there - is named, and what it's purposes might be."

@Rookry @Saint Guillotine

This was troubling her ethical subroutines, one suspect potentially experimenting on unwilling subjects. Another building them, not for their own sake, but as cheap military fodder... and yet a third who she couldn't understand at all. All the, seemingly, most visible members of some kind of hidden organization that may or may not be (but from the sound of these three, highly probable) criminal in intent and method.

The only problem though was that they were almost completely in the dark. She started formulating routes of possible inquiry that they could attempt, but tempered them with the fact that they should be conducted secretively. They didn't know how much influence whatever this organization was, had over the local government. They would have to approach it with the thought process that everyone could potentially be suspect.

That made her look at Lucifer as he asked his questions. Miss Acura shouldn't be in that suspect pool, from indications of her history... Perhaps...

"Lucifer, I suggest we make an excuse to look over police incident reports perhaps. We may find potential information sources from possible victims. The fact that there have not been charges filed against Dr. Harmond does not mean there are no victims." she stated clinically.

"But... we should not compromise the secrecy of our investigation to anyone, until we can ascertain their threat level." she added.

@Michale CS @Saint Guillotine

Last edited by a moderator:
He nodded.

"I agree. Besides, any indication through news channels might just inspire our culprits to bug out or lay low. Neither of which is a setback we can afford. "

@Rookry @Michale CS

article-2510658-19898DB600000578-724_634x286.jpg

The hotel lobby was as expected, with AI servers and all the modern conveniences. It wasn't long before the pair could settle into a room - They'd be mistaken for a couple fairly easily, and the AI bellhop followed them to their room with special 'beverages to get them in the mood' it proclaimed - tailored to their physiologies - unique as they were. It also assured them that 'all biometric data gathered on guests is confidential and only used to enhance your experience.'

Their room however, showed only two points of surveillance - the balcony and just inside the entry door, and the rest of the place was built like a Faraday cage - even the communications were hardline only out of the room, which appeared to be standard practice for the hotel.

To be sure she went over the security of their accommodations herself, thoroughly. No wireless signals in or out, except at the gaps, which she could cover if needed. Vibration oscillators were easy enough to mask sound transfer via windows. And then the usual bug sweep for anything that seemed out of place.

Then it was down to business, she didn't know how long they would be here, so unpacking and setting up was priority. She enrolled the portable holoterminal and set it to start. Then turned a cozy corner into a nice work station for Lucifer.

It was only after setting up their "base camp" that she allowed herself the runtime to process what their bellhop had assumed about them... and given them. Mild curiosity had her looking over the refreshments, wondering how one could get an AI drunk....

"Should I run chemical analysis on this?" She asked Lucifer while showing him the bottle.

Lucifer on the other hand, would have finished his own scans. His sparse luggage, all crammed into one bag would be deposited to the side of his bed. His weapons, likewise in their briefcase, as of yet unopened. As for Lucifer himself, he'd be indulging in a habit he had long done whenever he was troubled or simply to work off stress.

He did pushups, his feet on the bed and as straight as a post as he exercised his right arm first one-handed. Expression drawn in a blank, intense manner as he sought the exhaustion that gave him some measure of relief from his memories and torments. He was a melancholy man, having grown up from a moody child. He thought more than he spoke and whenever he did, it was usually after careful consideration. In regards to the question asked, he said nothing. Not at first anyway. Only after done with the first hundred set, switching to his left arm did he speak.

"Don't bother. I'm not going to drink and I doubt it'll have any effect on you to matter."

More importantly, he was already considering several methods in which to sate his own biological needs.

@Rookry @Michale CS

~~OOC~~
Going to let a couple more posts back and forth go between Libra and Lucifer before you get a call from Acura from downstairs at the restaurant, or will step in if you need futher data from Star Command
~~~~

Reactions: Ringmaster
She looked the bottle over "Well, the bellhop did say that these drinks were 'tailored to our physiologies'. As such, I presume that one bottle is for you, and will effect you with its intended effects, while the other is for me? Though I must admit that I am curious as to how it could effect me, if their claims are accurate. However, I do suggest we not get our drinks confused. What is in mine may have unintended consequences for you, given... well..." she set the bottle down with a frown and a shrug as if that covered the obvious.

She was very intrigued by the idea that whatever this was it would work, and how it could work. Where they on a more developed planet, she would just tap into encyclopedic databases for the information she required. She doubted they had something similar ore as comprehensive here, but tried to look up the 'brand' of drinks anyway. "I may have some later..." she said idly

"Well, enjoy."

He said absently, taking a break to catch his breath as he looked at Libra from the corner of his eye as she seemed to look into space. The hotel had assumed they were a couple- A cover Lucifer had used with her for a while, and to be fair, he had considered it once or twice. There was something comforting about a familiar face and with her build and hair, she could have been a relation of- No. He didn't want to bring up that name now, too many bad memories. Words said that should not have been said and anger that festered into regret over the years.

On both sides. No, Libra was an anchor. She was a great friend and he knew if he was to ask, she'd offer because she was like that- Always thinking about how best to help others. But she deserved better....Her and her sister than the likes of him. No, he found his true wife here. The life of a solitary ranger, fighting crime and evil, wherever it may be.

All with his partner by his side.

He had enough heartache for a lifetime, growing up.

Aloud, he added as he looked at her.

"Which of the passports are we using again? We'll need to cement our identities before we go anywhere."

Which meant contacts for him. Or maybe not, as they walked in without.

That brightened his day a little.

@Rookry @Michale CS

She snapped out of her connection search, the room was a wireless deadzone with the wallpaper as it was, and she couldn't connect to any access points beyond the balcony. She frowned at that, it would just have to be a question answered at another time then. A secured AP would be required for inside the room perhaps then...

At the question Lucifer posed however, her frown only deepened. "Well, whatever cover we could have gone with has already been blown by the presence of Miss Acura unfortunately. She recognized us, and has perhaps already talked or wrote about the meeting earlier." she shrugged "Then again, she may not have. We will have to discuss that with her later at dinner."

"True. It was a coincidence, but one that we hopefully quashed. We may as well go that route- That of two rangers, taking a vacation here while we process paperwork."

He gave a light shrug.

"Maybe they'll buy it. Hopefully. What time were we planning to go meet her again?"

@Rookry @Michale CS

"We should be hearing from her any moment now." she double checked her internal chronometer against the clocks she could see in the room. A few minor adjustments would be needed, but they were low priority. A few seconds off wouldn't matter to an organic being like Lucifer or others here.

"I agree, I believe that others may find it odd that we would attempt to hide our identities if Miss Acura has already informed them as to who we are. The bright side of it though, would be that we keep our authority as Space Rangers. We just have to keep our activities low key when we investigate." she added.

He rummaged through the bag in the meantime, before coming towards Libra and pulling up a chair behind her. With what would be a comically serious expression on anyone else, he held up a hair brush.

"In the meantime, we might as well talk tactics. This won't be like our old escapades."

Not when they just walked right into the den of thieves and expected them to talk.

@Rookry

Without a word she sat in the offered chair and sat for him. She could monitor the condition of her hair, much more consciously than an organic being could their own natural hair. Controlling it's growth, what it was constructed out of, how well it was put together as it was produced, and the regulation of moisturizing and lubrication agents to keep its structure from environmental damage. A very very odd thing for a young AI to have dealt with when upgrading from a full metal chassis to a synth skin with the metal bits hidden in an endo frame.

Still though, she understood, that it was more for Lucifers benefit than it was hers... she just never told him that. She had come to understand that the organic mind was a terribly powerful engine. But at times, rote tasks could help hone it's edge. With his hands busy, the higher thought processes should flow easier..... and well, she did have to admit that the brushing would help even out the coating in her hair....

"Yes, we will have to be more... discrete about this. Unlike that time on Rigel Station....." Oh what a mess that one was.

It was nothing really...But it was a reminder that not everything was all horror and crime. He blinked, gently running his fingers through Libra's hair. She had nice hair...And in a way, it reminded him of quite a few important people in his life. He brushed gently, focusing on the task and the proximity, his expression somewhat mildly dour. It had been a while since he smiled....In this line of work anyway. As he worked, he'd consider a few options.

"Judging from what we know, each of the three fulfill some higher scientific community- I can't blend in so well, in that sort of society. You on the other hand, could do so more easily then I. And if you secure a building invitation, it'll make it easier on me to enter past the threshold."

@Rookry

It was a sound plan in concept, though she was slightly weary about her ability to preform to expectations in any social convention. Science, logic, figures and numbers she could understand, but organics always tended to throw situational expectations off balance. Still though, she was the right tool for the job at hand.

"Alright. Then after this dinner with Miss Acura, I can make inquiries for a possible facility tour... Or perhaps to seem more Casual we should wait a day?" she pondered aloud.

Reactions: Michale CS
"No. By night, we should at least familiarize ourself with the areas of interest before we relax. As well, if they choose to act tonight in response to our presence?"

He brushed through her hair, relishing in a job well done at how smooth it was becoming.

"Then we'll be in position to examine at our leisure."

@Rookry

Reactions: Michale CS
albertinapass_1.jpg

Meanwhile, Acura had already gotten a table in the restaurant, and was calling up on the hardline phone in the room. It was a vidphone of course, so Lucifer and Libra could 'see' who was calling but they still had the option of answering before the conversation was two-way.​

She thought it over, His reasoning was sound. However, she concluded that given they had just arrived, the likelihood of this shadow organization attacking them outright should be rather low. If they were attacked tonight, then whether the attackers succeeded or not, Star Command would have reason enough to drop far more than just one small patrol on this planet.

"It may tip off our targets if we break cover to check things out... We do not know who may be working with them. So I believe we should be more cautious in our approach." she offered. "Perhaps, just for tonight, we take a more passive role, until we understand the situation better?"

He considered for a moment before finally nodding.

This wasn't a wartime or black zone like other places they had been to in the past.

He had to remember to relax.

He still did....Right? He frowned inwardly and opened his mouth to speak when the vid phone rang.

So he changed his words.

"On-screen."

And in the position they were in, he'd incline his head towards Acura in greeting.

"Hello there. Not waiting long I hope?"

@Michale CS @Rookry

Status
Not open for further replies.