Transgender Controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alexa Ray

Original poster
So, I'm doing a paper on this article dealing with discrimination debate in Louisville, Kentucky because a transgender student was allowed to use the girl's locker room and restroom. So, I'm curious- what are your thoughts and/or opinions on this? What about LGBT rights as a whole? Do you think a transgender person should be allowed to use the opposite restroom simply because they identity themselves as a girl/boy?

I am frightened about what this thread could easily become.

I honestly think that it all depends if it's a guy/girl just pretending to be transgender to see the opposite sex in the nude. Hell no. If it's a transgender kid like boy to girl but still likes girls no they should go into the boys locker room. If they are transgender and like the opposite sex. Example: boy to girl but likes boys yes that kid should be able to go into the girls locker room. This person if they still have noticeable opposite privates from the locker room they are in they should be modest and go to the back when in underwear but should be able to walk through when dressed.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
I honestly think that it all depends if it's a guy/girl just pretending to be transgender to see the opposite sex in the nude. Hell no. If it's a transgender kid like boy to girl but still likes girls no they should go into the boys locker room. If they are transgender and like the opposite sex. Example: boy to girl but likes boys yes that kid should be able to go into the girls locker room. This person if they still have noticeable opposite privates from the locker room they are in they should be modest and go to the back when in underwear but should be able to walk through when dressed.
by that logic, should gay men have to use the ladies room? Also who the hell gets naked in a public restroom?!

Honestly? I don't think so. While being able to use the restroom and such of the gender they identify themselves as would help their self-esteem and allow them to feel more like that gender, it would also be violating the privacy of others. I can't imagine being comfortable with a transgender girl using the same restroom as me. Restrooms are separate for a reason, because, biologically, males and females are different, and that fact can't just be ignored for the sake of a certain group of people. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against transgender, my best friend is trans, but while she may identify herself as female, biologically, she is still male. And unless she gets surgery to change that, she's gonna have to use the restroom that corresponds to her biological gender and not the one she identifies as. I've talked to her about this before and she agrees with me on this.

That was in reference to locker rooms
For restrooms I think the community and students should decide that.

Honestly? I don't think so. While being able to use the restroom and such of the gender they identify themselves as would help their self-esteem and allow them to feel more like that gender, it would also be violating the privacy of others. I can't imagine being comfortable with a transgender girl using the same restroom as me. Restrooms are separate for a reason, because, biologically, males and females are different, and that fact can't just be ignored for the sake of a certain group of people. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against transgender, my best friend is trans, but while she may identify herself as female, biologically, she is still male. And unless she gets surgery to change that, she's gonna have to use the restroom that corresponds to her biological gender and not the one she identifies as. I've talked to her about this before and she agrees with me on this.
How would you even be able to tell there was a transwoman using the woman's bathroom, though? Women's bathrooms don't have urinals. She would be in a stall like everyone else, with her genitals hidden. Though you may see a masculine transwomen who is early in her transition, you're just seeing her face. Not her genitals. She's there to relieve herself, just like anyone else.

Because it all depends on how the majority of the students feel about that situation.

when your a transgender boy to girl unless you've had surgery down there then it's a courtesy to go in the back while having nothing but underwear on with your genitals bulging out of you panties and/or boxers

I think everyone should use the restroom they are meant to use, biologically. It has to do with respect for the ones comfortable with their own biological gender too. Not all females would feel comfortable with someone with male genetalias was supposed to use the same restroom as them, in the same way not all males would feel comfortable with someone who has female genetalias havingthe same restroom.
I'm all for rights for trans too, but in cases like that it has a lot to do with the limits and boundaries of the others in the same restroom too.
So when it comes to restrooms, I say it should be based of biology, and not what identity someone has.

There's a lot of stigma against transgendered people and how they're "simply pretending" or "just confused". I don't know of any cis person who would be willing to go through the bruised image and reputation and bullying that comes with claiming to be anything but cis and straight. Even if they retract it after getting a glimpse of the opposite sex, they will always have "the day they were a girl/boy" following them around. There's a lot less personal risk to simply trying to catch a peek as your own gender.

Also, with your rules on sexuality and where that places someone in the war of bathrooms. No matter what sexuality you find yourself, not every person is going to seem attractive. And public restrooms and change room are probably the least arousing places on the planet. And finally, even if you're not attracted to the same sex, you're gonna look at those around you in the change room. Everyone does, out of curiosity or in comparison. With that, everyone should get their own tiny box to change in so no one looks at anyone ever.

Quick note on the genitalia of transgender folk: While there are operations to change male/female genitals to the opposite sex, not everyone is going to get access to these proceeders. (Also, female to male genital transformations aren't… quite there yet.) Transgenders are (usually) already uncomfortable and unhappy with the body they have. Shaming them further by forcing them to hide and be "modest" just reinforces the mindset that something is wrong with them. And that is poisonous.

I think it would be alright for restrooms to share but the transgender kids need to be professional about it and always no matter what should use the stalls for common courtesy of the opposite sex in the restroom/locker room. Plus the opposite gender needs to be professional to. When i say professional I mean no teasing or bullying, no staring at each others genitals just be grown up about. Which is a lot to ask from teenagers, but still should be done to make our generation progress in this debate of the LGBT to a calmer more accepting society.

• Thank You
They shouldn't feel that way though. Even though they are told to be modest and the like, they can't take that personally because they have to respect others beliefs, boundries if they want people to respect their beliefs/boundries. Besides how would you like to stand there taking your clothes off in front a bunch a girls believing your a girl but then all the others see you penis and flat chest, that's a reminder that you're a boy and not a girl. Girls are notorious for verbal abuse, imagine a jesus freak coming up and pointing out your flaws. To go in the back is to be modest, respectful, and to keep the verbal abuse down.
Like I said before it all depends on how the majority of the students feel about sharing restrooms/locker rooms with transgender people.

• Thank You
As this is a debate what i say may offend I would like to ay it is not my intention to do so, and that I am jst a very opinionated person, please don't take anything I say personally.

I have strong feelings that Transgenders are exactly who they say they are. We are all just people, Gender, skin color, and ethnicity are just these things that make of unique and different, not separate from each other. My opinions are just simple, all human beings have the same rights. This isn't even close to being the reality, but it is how I, personally treat people. If someone comes to me and says I feel like a man, I feel like a woman, than so be it. all I care about is the fact that they are Human.

I would feel completely comfortable with a transgender whom considered themselves to be female to pee in the same stall as me, obviously not at the same time @__@ but that goes without saying. I think it's kinda of...riddiculous the big deal people turn this topic into when in casual conversation both parties can learn a lot. Those who feel they are men should use the men's room, and those who feel they are a woman should use the woman's room. and everyone should just suck it up and pee or poop because really...who really cares. other countries have entire communities using the same holes in the ground as everyone else. Further separating Transgenders will only promote the idea that they should get "Special Treatment" when really they are just like everyone else. Still bleeding red, still having a beating heart, and still have smiles, and life experiences that are as valid as every person alive. As long as someone doesn't 'expect' special treatment for being transgender then it's all good.For the people who "pretend", well, whats to say they aren't confused and just trying to discover who they are. Sometimes what we are to be needs to be found within us first by trying on those shoes. what some may perceive as 'pretend' others look beyond that and see that self discovery is a hard road for anyone to walk. Of course All human beings have basic rights from birth, will everyone get them? Will everyone be treated equally? No...Not today anyway. But as for me, Fijo, I could care less about what anyone's gender is as long as they treat me with respect than they shall inevitable have mine in return.

LGBT rights as a whole? If people opened up their hearts and minds there would be no need for it, everyone would just get along and accept one another, but I feel it is good but it leaves a bitter-sweetness within me that it has to come to this. Honestly as a non gay, non-transgender, non-other-kin, straight female, how I feel about this doesn't matter...what matters to me is how the community of Lesbians, gays, bi's and transgenders feel about it because it effects them. Their lives. Theirs aspirations. Their hopes and feelings. I hope that it does more good than harm and really wish to hear how a transgender feels about LGBT rights.

I have met plenty of people who do not feel the same way I do, who do not promote the right of freedom of choice, and entertain the idea that transgenders are not even people, this veiw of theirs make me sad. Afraid of what they can't understand and refusing to see transgenders as normal human beings is flat out wrong. I am all about the rights and equality for transgenders and will support their rights to choose for themselves who THEY want to be. I stopped seeing people as men or women a long time ago, and It has lead me to some of the most amazing people I have ever met.

<333 love is the answer.

And just an fyi i know that not everyone is attractive but again it all depends on the students. Including the transgender/s student.

Obviously I don't think everyone is like me and I know it. But I don't really care if people want to use whatever bathroom. Personally, I tend to not pay attention to other people aside from their general location. I don't look at people, I don't stare at their junk or whatever. I use the facilities and then I'm gone. Again, I can understand when people say they would feel uncomfortable about the idea of a trans person in their area, but it doesn't bug me at all. To me, gender and sexuality seem to fluid for all that. Personally, I say we should just unisex all the bathrooms. From both sides I always hear how they fear what they might see, but the fact is you are all stinky bags of meat and you should get over it.

The easy answer is to just have cubicles for everyone, so that no-one gets to look at anyone's goods unless they're showing them off in public.

They shouldn't feel that way though. Even though they are told to be modest and the like, they can't take that personally because they have to respect others beliefs, boundries if they want people to respect their beliefs/boundries. Besides how would you like to stand there taking your clothes off in front a bunch a girls believing your a girl but then all the others see you penis and flat chest, that's a reminder that you're a boy and not a girl. Girls are notorious for verbal abuse, imagine a jesus freak coming up and pointing out your flaws. To go in the back is to be modest, respectful, and to keep the verbal abuse down.
Like I said before it all depends on how the majority of the students feel about sharing restrooms/locker rooms with transgender people.
Not everyone will see it that way, though. We don't live in a perfect world, everyone views the world differently. While for some people might find being modest and "going to the back" a reasonable compromise, for others it won't seem that way. All they want is to fit in and feel like they belong, being told to be modest and hide is not fitting in, it's the exact opposite and it defeats the whole point of using that gender's locker rooms and restrooms.

Kudos to The Butterfly. I agree completely - people make too much of a fuss over something as simple as using a public bathroom. Everyone looks differently, everyone has their preferences. Trying to sort it all into two categories is a headache, especially in this day and age when sexuality and gender identity are much more personal and accepted as fluid, as opposed to the old approach of "pick-one-from-the-box" of straight cisgendered vs gay cisgendered. It's not like a restroom is supposed to be some sort of sanctuary from a particular kind of person, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.