1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Adaptable
Genres
romance. angst. drama. modern. fantasy. supernatural. adventure. crime. period pieces.

John Lambert

My dearest and only John,

Are you well? If you are able to read this letter then I believe anyone with half a mind would pronounce you healthy, able-bodied, and strong enough to pick up a pen and write your mother back. Perhaps if I knew you had not enlisted to serve your country so much as you enlisted to avoid serving your duties to your family, this letter may have begun with soft words. Remember John, silence is also an answer.

Seeing how I must remind you of that, I may also remind you that you are not a fool John. You are a Lambert.

John pinched his lips tight and breathed out through his nose. If his mother was to step onto their campgrounds, she'd have yanked his ear off on a public stage in front of all his fellow soldiers. And frankly, he would have been all too deserving of it. In despite of his rebellious actions, she had been consistent in writing him since his enlistment. She may have been the lady of their house, but she was also a mother who worried about her only son going off to fight the French.

However, her Lambert son with a mind of his own and an attitude and ego that was as self-taught as it was guided, was not as frequent with his letters. His reasonings for keeping his letters short and infrequent was not so much that he could not be bothered to, or injured in the line of battle, but simply because part of enlisting was to put space between himself and his family. All their rules, all their standards, and all their duties. He could never truly run away from his responsibilities, he was a Lambert and they simply could not ruin themselves over personal feelings and desires.

A fact that his parents never let him forget. Though, had they not, he would still remember it. The ideas had been engraved into his soul.

John leaned back in his cot, by far the most uncomfortable part of being a soldier, and held the letter over his face to continue reading his mother's rather wordy chastisement.

I do not ask that you write back with all the dangerous trials you've experienced or how you may be feeling wallowing in the dirt against French men. -

God, he would very much rather be wallowing in the dirt with men for a much different reason. And he certainly would not be detailing the event to his mother.

But you must write me to let me know you are alive and well. John, I cannot lose another son.

John's mouth dried as he lowered the letter and rested the piece of paper against his chest. There was no denying it, he was a horrible son. Of course, he had always know that because Peter had always been the best son, the best brother, and the best of men. John did not know what God was thinking when he took him away from this world - from him. More than once, he thought it would have been better if he had gone instead. It may not have been a fair trade, but a far more beneficial one for everyone involved.

He closed his eyes and sighed. Behind his lids memories of skipping rocks across ponds, laughing at jokes not fit for boys their ages, practicing the waltz in their great hall, writing letters to authors they just demanded the ending must be changed, and feeling nothing but content and happiness, raced across his mind. The more he thought of it, thought of him, he couldn't seem to recall a time he truly felt happy since his death. Part of John was buried with his brother, the part that knew how to be happy.

There was a shuffling noise and the sounds of heavy boots stomping into his tent. He didn't open his eyes to see who it was when he was very aware of the mere sound of his brutish gait. If John could roll his eyes effectively while closed, he would have.

He stopped but waited a few seconds too long to announce himself. "Sir Lambert." His gruff voice addressed him.

And so, out of pretend respect, John opened his eyes and began to sit up. "Colonel Talbot," he answered with enough esteem as he could muster in his voice. And muster he had to as the colonel was perhaps the most annoying member of their camp as far he was concerned. Annoying and quite evidently to John held a crush or some sort of infatuation with him. If the occasional leering looks and too-long gazes weren't evidence enough then his constant complaining about him, dissatisfaction with everything he did, and pushing around had to be.

Still, his eye for him was something John played with, even now, leaving his hair loose over his shoulders and the top buttons of his shirt unbuttoned. If the man tormented him, he would bully him back subtly. If the colonel was not his superior and an asshole to top it, John would not have minded breathing life into his fantasies by dragging him into quiet and secluded areas or blowing out the candles of his tent.

"I finished my duties earlier and took the time to read my post. Was there anything that you needed from me, sir?"

The colonel stared at him again too long without a word before clearing his throat and answering. "A patrol led by captain Hawkins was attacked. Fortunately, there were no casualties, but men were injured."

John's eyebrows furrowed into a frown. Reuben. Reuben was part of that unit.

"Your Irish friend was also injured saving the life of another soldier. "

His stomach dropped.

"I thought you would like to know." He cleared his throat once more and stared at John. Again.

But this time the blond was too busy being consumed by the fear of his friend being fatally wounded and the anxiety that he may lose him. The edge of his vision was blurring and his heart was beating so loudly against his ears that he almost missed the colonel excusing himself and leaving his tent and leaving John alone. The man was stuck in place, unable to move his legs or any other part of his body. The ear that had its grasp on him was all too familiar. It was the type of fear that never went away when you experienced it once, and it swallowed you whole when coming true.

The fear of losing someone.

John gasped for air and suddenly he had agency over his body again. He didn't know when he started holding his breath or for how long, but his breaths were coming quickly and far too short. He was a soldier. He was meant to be brave. He had to get a hold of himself. He had to see Reuben.

Quickly and clumsily, John rushed out of his tent. Don't run, don't run, everything will be alright. He told himself that very lie before and just like then, it gave him no comfort.

He did not run, but he did not walk either. His steps were swift and long, his blue eyes locked on the infirmary. Before he even opened the flap to the large tent he could hear the groaning and cries of injured soldiers and the smell of blood and medicine. There were enough people there to spike John's fear. Amongst all these men and all the noise, no matter where he turned his head he couldn't find the redhead with the most disrespectful attitude known to all humankind.

"Reuben…" he called weakly for the man, he barely heard himself speak his name. "Reuben." He said a little more loudly this time with his voice more stable than the first. But not by much.

The beating of his heart sped and roared the deeper he walked into the tent, head swinging from side to side. His eyes caught the sight of blood, cuts, and bandages, all of which reinforced the fear in him until his legs couldn't bear to go any further. He stopped. He was lost.

"Drink this, Mr. Egerton."

Despite how the noise was overshadowed by the sound of his own heart, he heard the doctor's order. His head whipped around so fast in its direction that it wouldn't have surprised him if it fell off his shoulders. His legs began quickly moving before his eyes even caught the red hair over the other standing men in the room. There was no mistaking it.

John pushed his way through and halted at the edge of his cot, getting a full view of his friend. He was covered in dirt, both dry and wet blood, bruises, and scratches, but he was well enough to be up and talking. Well enough that he wouldn't die.

The relief was so immediate, the loosening of his tight muscles almost made John collapse onto the floor then and there. Luckily, the cot was there for him to grip on and keep himself standing. He hung his head and breathed again. His loose hair fell in his face as he gathered his composure, hiding how shaking his initial new breaths were and the way his face crumpled.

Reuben was a fool. An absolute blithering idiot and the worst part was that he didn't seem to know it. John was tempted to strangle him or punch him and give him another bruise to match his own.

John lifted his head once he was sure of himself. He brushed his hair away from his face and rolled up the sleeves of his white shirt and walked from the front of the cot to the side. He clicked his tongue disapprovingly and shook his head.

"Let me have a look," John said, taking his face in his hand and turning it side to side as if he was trained in medicine. Surely he couldn't be any worse than the doctors here who, in John's humble opinion, didn't help so much when men had to be sent home anyone when their conditions so often took a turn. "You must really think yourself some sort of hero, Egerton," instead of the idiot he was, John would keep his scolding to a minimum for now. He wasn't his mother.

"Oh, but he is, sir Lambert." The doctor chuckled. He was looking up from his current position, attending to a man in the cot beside Reuben's. He was just as filthy, but most noticeably he had a large bandage on his eye. The blood seeping through the cloth told him all that he needed to know. "He saved this one." he gestured to the man in his current care.

"I see." John said, but his tone and expression read that he was still waiting to be impressed. "And yet he still came out with a significant injury. Could he have not saved you any faster, good sir?" He questioned, looking over the man with his arms crossed over his chest.

@wren. @DayDreamer

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: wren.
It had all been a blur. One moment Caleb was galloping through the field, the colors of the 4th Irish Dragoons were flying in his hands after the had killed the bloody frog that had managed to seize them for the briefest of moments, then the next he had found himself in immense pain. The wind was knocked out of his chest as he fell to the ground. A canon ball was his best guess as his ears ringed from the sound of the explosion. He had called out to one of his fellow Dragoon Guards and he somehow found the strength to get up just enough so he could ensure the colors would be in safe hands. If he was going to die, he might as well have accomplished something for the Regiment. For something that mattered to him.

As luck would have it, he was not to die that moment. That luck had a name. Egerton. He had heard the name being called as he was rushed to the infirmary and hastily placed into a cot. He was beginning to grow numb to the pain, feeling searing hotness whenever the doctor moved or touched his wounds to patch him up. It was a weird state of mind to be. He was floating in and out of consciousness, yet he still had quite the clarity of mind.
"And yet he still came out with a significant injury. Could he have not saved you any faster, good sir?" A man directly questioned him. His poise was unimpressed, annoyed even. "Better late than never." Caleb replied restraining a groan of pain as speaking caused his bandages to move over his injured left side.

"Any sooner and they would have both been canon fodder, sir!" Another cornet of the Irish Dragoons, who had been allowed to accompany Caleb to the infirmary and get an update on his status for later report to the officers, chipped in. Seeing the pain Caleb was in, he decided to fill in more of the details, so as to spare his fellow soldier from speaking too much. "Got the blasted backstabbing frog well, he did!" He praised Egerton's swift intervention. "Being unhorsed is nasty business. Being unhorsed by a canon ball is even worse. Mr Browne would have been dead if not for this man."

hh
hh
REUBEN
Reuben wouldn't describe himself as a masochist, nor a sadist, but he enjoys a good battle. Contrary to popular belief, it's not something that requires a lot of strategy — at least not when you're a mere soldier. War is primal and instinctive. It is a surge of adrenaline and the sheer resolution to live. It is frenzied bloodshed, chaotic and terrible, and you only need enough wits to know to protect yourself from all sides. If you think too much for one minute, if you allow yourself to get distracted, that will be your end.

Reuben has grown tired of his own thoughts, and maybe that's why he's survived so long. He has trained himself to stop thinking, to counter blows, and to kill without discrimination. It is better not to think about the latter, not even when you are alone in your tent later that night coming off the high of battle, not even when you are discharged and safe in your family bed once more. Add to the slaughter, wet the grass with blood, and be lucky that only a portion of it is yours.

Of course, every man has his weaknesses. For Reuben, it is his compulsive need to help. Whether it is for the sake of his comrades, many of which he has formed a brotherly affection for in their years together, or for the sake of his own honor, he can't be sure. With little else to live for, he has no problem dying in the service of saving someone else. Even if he receives no glory for it, he can at least bleed out with his pride.

It is this flaw, the flaw of being kind or the flaw of needing to be appreciated, that lands Reuben a bayonet through his abdomen. He'd been clumsy; allowed himself to get distracted. He'd noticed a young man in the Dragoons holding onto the colors in the corner of his eye, riding valiantly and grappling with a Frenchman to keep his hold on them. He'd heard the cannonball and saw the man fall unhorsed, at the mercy of trampling hooves and desperate men with swords and guns. Miraculously, he still has the colors, though he's lost a good portion of his face from the cannonball blast. At least, there's an awful lot of blood.

Suddenly, his body explodes with searing hot pain, all-encompassing and overwhelming before his mind registers that it is radiating from his abdomen. The next several seconds are a blur. He sees the bayonet that has been stabbed through his waist, sees the Frenchman staring at him with focused determination, sees him drop as he manages to skewer him on his own sword, feels the agony as he pulls the bayonet out, feels the blood gush between his fingers as he tries to hold himself together, praying that his guts don't start popping out as he tucks his arms beneath the unhorsed Dragoon guard's armpits and drags him away from the bloodshed as best as he can.

If he's going to die, perhaps he can at least save this young man's life, and more importantly in the eyes of their nation, keep their colors safe.

The medical tent is a hellish cesspool, and even worse when you're disorientated. It's a pit of putrid odor and spine-chilling cries, death weighing like a heavy blanket on everything inside it. It's enough to make him vomit when he first wakes up, though that could also be because of the pain his abdomen is still in, or whatever concoctions they might have fed him while he was unconscious.

"Oh good, you're awake!" someone says, and it takes Reuben a moment to stop squeezing his eyes shut, and another moment for his eyes to focus enough to recognize Dr. Pruitt, who is now wiping the vomit from his face with clinical apathy. "I wasn't entirely sure you'd pull through this time," he admits, though he says that often when Reuben winds up in here, "You've got a pretty nasty stab wound there. You're lucky we were able to patch you up."

"Yeah, I can feel that," he says, voice hoarse and throat killing him. His shirt and coat have been stripped away, replaced instead by a generous amount of bandaging wrapped around his waist. "What happened to the other man?" he asks as Dr. Pruitt hands him a cup of water.

"Right there." Dr. Pruitt points toward the bed beside him, and sure enough, there's the Dragoon guard, still unconscious but now with similar bandages wrapped around a good quarter of his face. "Saved the colors, too. Quite an impressive feat the both of you pulled. I would stop pushing my luck if I were you, I don't think you'll accomplish anything better."

He slams the cup of water that he'd been draining down onto the bed before the doctor takes it from him. "Well, at least there's that." Dr. Pruitt leaves him to attend to other patients, and he tries to fall back asleep, but it's hard when you have a gaping hole in your body, so he winds up staring at the guard beside him for a while as he twitch, twitch, twitches. Likely flowing in and out of consciousness as Reuben had just been.

"Drink this, Mr. Egerton," he's instructed by Dr. Pruitt after a while, and he accepts the cup of foul-smelling liquid. "It'll help with the pain."

He tosses it back, and suddenly, John is in front of him, staring at him from the end of his cot with poorly disguised concern. "Don't look at me like that; I'll start getting ideas," he smirks, attempting to bring some levity to the situation and assure his friend of his being well. "Christian name and everything! I might think you actually are fond of me." The blond's face suddenly morphs into something sterner and disapproving, not dissimilar from the way Percival would look at him growing up whenever he acted recklessly.

He can't help but grin as John starts pushing his head side-to-side, effectively motherhenning him, using the same disappointed tone his mother would use on him, in the rare moments she noticed him at all, to express his disapproval of his heroics. He's spared having to defend himself by Dr. Pruitt exalting his actions for him. Of course, John still has to be snarky.

He pouts at the blond, batting his hands away. "Hey, it's not like I put him in the position of needing to be saved," he points out, sounding petulant to his own ears.

"Better late than never," an unfamiliar voice groans, making Reuben's head whip around to find it. It seems his brother-in-arms is awake now, face scrunched up in pain. There's another man standing beside him, dressed in similar attire and likely another Dragoon guard, seemingly attending to him much like John had been doing with him seconds ago. Fortunately for them both, this other stranger is as happy as Dr. Pruitt to sing Reuben's tale for him.

He points toward the man, snapping his fingers for emphasis, staring at John with a smug grin. "See? I acted just in time, John. Even managed to come out alive as well. Doctor says Mr. Browne here held onto the colors, too. You should be proud of me, not scolding me while I lie here bleeding out."
code by wren.

John Lambert

It was at that point that John would turn his head and carry on the conversation, cleverly changing topic so he conveniently would not have to agree with the aforementioned topic. However, when praise was sincerely due, he could give it. And it seemed in Reuben's case that it was not only due but earned. Though his heroic feat certainly could had lead to a premature death, he was still there with his own life and brought back another along with it. He'd be really detestable as a fellow soldier if he was to ignore that and the saving of the colors.

The blond man puffed out air and turned his head around to face the far too cheeky redhead. "I think you've clearly been given enough praise by the men here around you to inflate your ego, but even I can see you were an exceptional soldier and companion on the field today." A very Lambert compliment. Not too heavy, but worded well enough to be accepted.

"It seems the both of you will stay in this tent a while still, however," John observed, rising from Reuben's cot and leaving the creaking poor excuse for a sleeping mat behind with him. He sauntered over to the man saved, Mr. Browne - or so they called him. "And you look worse for wear. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. I supposed you too, Reuben."
@wren. @DayDreamer

• According to Plan
Reactions: wren.