Torn Feelings

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Oh, that's good," he sighed.

He sipped his water nervously and blushed a little when Niko kept her hand on top of his. "Well, I could try to speak to my employer about some things. And the other thing... damn, I was hoping to wait until later tonight to ask..."

He rubbed his eyes a little. "I have a surprise for you later. Do you mind if I give to you after lunch?"

"Okay," Niko spoke, hesitantly as she gave Drake a concerned look. What was going on with him? Why was he acting this way? She took another sip of her drink and put it down, watching as the nervousness seemed to wash over him.

"Um, sure I don't mind." Her brows furrowed as she thought about what he could possibly have up his sleeve. "Are you all right? You seem... Nervous. Is everything okay?"

"Yes, yes everything's okay," he replied.

It seemed that Niko noticed how nervous he was. Should he go ahead and tell her what he had in mind? Or just try to calm down and wait until later?

((Sorry I haven't replied in the past couple of days. Ended up being busy over the weekend.)

"Right..." Niko narrowed her eyes at him as she took another sip of her water, giving the man a suspicious look. Oh, what was he planning? It made her nervous, very nervous actually, but what bothered her more is that this was a surprise, and she hated surprises. Some were good, she knew, but most she had experienced were fairly bad. She just liked knowing what she was getting herself into before getting into it, mostly so that she knew whether or not she actually wanted to do it, and to see if she could figure out how to react to the situation

Lunch went off with pretty much a hitch. Niko made small take with Drake here and there, just enjoying the time they were having together since they, for once, weren't arguing about something. She still kept his little 'surprise' in the back of her mind, trying to figure out what it was.

((It's ok.))

After Drake paid for their lunch, he led Niko outside and gestured for her to drive to park that was near where they were. He drove to a small grove of trees and waited for Niko to come to him.

"Niko," he started. "I just wanted to say that being with you has made me the happiest I've ever been. True, we had our differences and arguments, but in the end it shows me how much I love you. You're the first woman I ever truly fell in love with. And you're the only woman I want to be with." He went on one knee and pulled out a ring. "Niko, will you marry me?"

She... Really had no idea what to say. For once in her life, Niko didn't know what to say to him, or even how to respond to the question. When Drake had told her to meet him at the park by the grove of trees, and even when he said that he had something to tell her in the diner, she hadn't expected him to propose to her. Yes, she was so happy, extremely happy even! But was is normal to have all these conflicting feelings welling up in the pit of her stomach as she stood, looking down at Drake's kneeling position with a ring held out to her.

Is this why he wanted a new job? To have more money for things? She didn't know. She really didn't know what to think about this situation.

Her mouth went slack, but she covered one of her hands over it to protect a soft sigh that escaped from behind her lips. "I don't.. I don't know what to say." She took her hand off her mouth, a small laugh in her voice as disbelief washed over her. He really wanted to marry her, despite how stubborn and angry she could be with him. Despite all their ups and downs, he still wanted to be with her.

As tears began to well up in her eyes, Niko sniffled a bit before a wide smile spread across her lips. "Yes," she answered then, sticking her left hand out for him to place the ring on.

Drake could only smile as he slipped the ring on her finger. He pulled her up in his arms and gave her a rain of kisses. "I love you," he whispered. "I love you more than you would ever know."

He couldn't help but have tears well up in his eyes as well.

Grinning from ear to ear as the ring was slipped onto her finger, a tear couldn't help but slip from her eyes. Quickly Niko wiped them away though, mostly because she didn't want to seem like a softy about crying about a proposal, though she figured that this was an occasion to do that, before she wrapped her arms around Drake, falling into his embrace.

"I love you too. So much." She received and returned his kisses before pulling back and holding her hand out, admiring the ring as a giddy feeling surrounded her. "Well, this is certainly a surprise. A good one too." She laughed lightly, wiping her eyes again.

"I'm glad," he answered, kissing her cheek and putting her down. "I wonder how everyone's going to react." He looked at the ring on her finger. "I, uh, thought about asking you for a while..."

Niko shrugged. "Who knows. Dad might be happy about it..." She nearly rolled her eyes as she spoke, but contained it instead. It made her think of all the things her dad said about Drake, mostly because he would be the first one she would run to when ever they would 'break up', and it was obvious that he didn't take too kindly to the boy. But, nevertheless, her father let her do what she wanted, mostly because he understood that she had her own life and he couldn't tell her what to do, despite that he considered her his baby girl.

And it would be a lie to say that her father's opinion didn't matter because it did. A lot.

But she pushed the thought aside. She'd have to deal with that later when she called him to tell him the good news. "I know the girls in the office will just die when they hear about it." She smiled again. "But I'm sure they'll be excited." She wrapped her arms around Drake, leaning against him as she sighed. "But it doesn't matter what they think. As long as we're happy, that's all that matters." She tilted her head to look up, raising her brows at his words. "Oh? How long have you been planning to ask me?"

"About a year," Drake admitted.

His parents wouldn't really care about him or what has happened to him since he left South Africa but he didn't care. All that mattered was that he asked the love of his life to marry him and she said yes. "Maybe your dad would be happy for us. I know my coworkers would celebrate." He laughed. He knew that they would tease him and ask him what took so long to pop the question.

"A year?" She blinked up at him, surprised. He had been waiting his long to ask her? Why hadn't he just done so before hand? "Why so long? Ended up getting old feet after every time you thought about asking?" She winked, teasing him, but she quickly shrugged her shoulders and leaned back into his frame.

When Drake mentioned something about her father and his co workers, her eyes traveled back down to her finger that was now occupied with the ring. She fiddled with it for a second, suddenly becoming nervous when she thought about having to tell her father about this. Would he give his blessing? She sighed, shaking her head again, trying to push the thought aside. It didn't matter right now. Right now, she was just happy, and in love.

"Well, if you do celebrate with them, don't do something stupid. I would hate for my fiance to get into trouble so soon after being engaged." She smiled again.

"I couldn't find what I wanted to say and I got so nervous whenever I wanted to ask. Don't worry, I'll make sure I behave myself if I ended up celebrating with my coworkers." He gave her a small squeeze.

Niko smiled softly. "If it's any consolation to you, I think what you said was perfect." She looked back up at him before standing on the tip of her toes so that she could reach up and give him a light kiss. She let her lips linger on his a little longer before pulling back and stepping out of his hold, reaching out to grab both of his hands to place them in hers. "Now come on, before you go celebrating with your friends, I think we should celebrate. Just the two of us!"

Oh yes, this completely wipes out the little bit of anger she held toward him from being late to the diner. "I just... Don't know what we should do to celebrate." She shrugged.

He blushed when she told him what he said was perfect and gave him a light kiss.

"I don't know how we should celebrate either..." He held her hands.

When she noticed him blush she thought it was cute, but shrugged her shoulders as she, again, thought about how they could celebrate. "Well we just ate, so getting food is out of the question." She pursed her lips together, her brows furrowing in concentration. But, suddenly, her brows rose a a sly smile crossed her lips. "We could just do something... Alone." She raised her brows, poking Drake in the chest as she laughed a bit under her breath. "We could go either to your place or my place and just relax."

"Are you..." Drake looked at her when she poked his chest. "Really?"

He closed his eyes for a moment. "My place..."

Niko grinned, taking a few steps away from Drake before she started pulling him along, that same, giddy feeling she felt before swelling in the pit of her stomach again.

"Fine then. You're place." She turned back to look at him, giving him an expecting look before giggling a little.

He had a feeling of what type of celebration Niko had in mind. But he decided he was fine with it and grinned back at her. "What? Did you want to go to your place instead?"

"No," Niko said with the shake of her head. "You're place is fine. So long as it isn't messy or anything. You know how that bothers me." She frowned at the thought but quickly shook her head. "It isn't dirty, is it?" She rose her brows at hi, giving Drake a bit of a skeptical look.

Status
Not open for further replies.