Torn between two Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ailina showed a small nod while she smiled gently and she started to walk down the road again. "There are a few inns on the road there so we have somewhere to stay during the nights." She said as she walked and she glanced around before she looked forward. As the hours passed, Ailina had to stop as she got exhausted and she sat down on her knees while she sighed heavily.

He stopped with her but didn't need to rest he was adjusted to walking for long periods of time due to long hunting trips with his father when he was younger. "So how old are you? I don't mean to pry just curious."

"I'm twenty one, what about you?" She asked as she looked up at him. At a closer look, he left thigh was now bandaged and she had been limping slightly as she walked. She swallowed once while trying to relax so that the wound beneath the bandage would hurt less.

"Just 21? And, how, wait a minute, what?" He looked confused. "You can't be JUST 21 you're kidding right? 21 is the age of a small child and you aren't a small child." He tilted his head slightly as he looked at her.

"As a human, if you're twenty one, you're an adult..." She said while her eyebrow twitched slightly and a vein throbbed on the side of her head.

"Sorry I mean no offense. It's just that in elf years you'd be a child. I'm barely an adult, and I happen to be 134 years old. I had no idea I mean it." He sat down on the dirt road this look of astonishment on his face.

She let out a heavy sigh as she sat on her knees and she placed her hand over the bandage as she looked down at the road. "I hope we reach an inn soon... I could do with some rest." She sighed. She didn't seem all that surprised about his age, but then again. She had done a lot of reading on elves from books that were in the library where she used to live.

"There isn't much information in my small village about humans. What is it like other than what you've told me. How are the cities? How is regular life? How are the children? There is so much I want to know and so little time." He looked at the ground again and let out a sigh then looked at her. "There should be one just up the road. Possibly an hour or two away. I'm not sure never been there honestly."

"Right now, the only lives humans know within the bigger cities are lives I fear." She said as she lowered her gaze. "It's neigh to just look at a royal guard in the wrong way and you will be executed." She then sighed. "The children have not been able to laugh for years now and all young boys are being trained to become soldiers. I think the King is planning to start the war again and he has to be stopped." Said Ailina as she looked at Valen. "I couldn't possibly ask for your aid since I chose to pick up this battle on my own, you should head back so that you and those close to you don't have to suffer because of me."

"But would I not suffer if I knew that I left you to fight this tyranny alone? Let me come along with you." He was not taking no for an answer. He continued moving. "If such tyranny existed in my home I'd expect others to help me take it down too."

Ailina was quite surprised by his determination and she then sighed in a defeated manner while she smiled gently. "Okay, okay. You've made your point." She said as she let out a small chuckle. "First of all we need to get to an inn so we can get some proper rest. If we start moving now, we'll reach one by nightfall." She said with a small nod while walking next to Valen.

"Yes then inn is just down the road we could reach it before nightfall if I'm correct. Last time I was there the inn was ran by a Elf who called himself Algrath Du-Hassen. He shouldn't mind giving you a room he is a well tempered Elf. He never saw the battlefields of the war but his inn did house wounded both elves and humans alike depending on which side occupied it at the time." Valen hadn't really understood how much of the area he had truly known until he started talking about. A matter of fact he had never noticed how much he truly knew until he started rambling on and on. It satisfied him and yet disturbed him. What else did he know but simply couldn't remember?

She raised an eyebrow in surprise as she looked at Valen and she then chuckled. "That's amazing. Not even I knew about that." Ailina said with a small nod. During their walk she told him more about herself, about the small village that she came from and about herself in general. She told him about how she had lost her mother when she was born and her father had raised her all on his own. She then told Valen about how her father had been executed just two years ago when it was discovered that he had been talking about the Great War.

Valen was impressed with the young woman and happier that she had opened up to him so easily he decided to open up himself. As they continued to discuss previous events in their lifes. He discussed his father time in the Great War and how he died of fever years ago. He then told her about his village and how he had been one of the many hunters. How his mother and sister had depended on him until recently and how it had been that he made his decision to run out into the world. "Look the inn is just ahead." In the distance was the figure of a medium sized building made of stone with a neat little tile roof. He smiled at the craftsmanship of the building. "Well there it is the Medical Miracle Inn or so the locals call it." He hoped that it wasn't full and he hoped that Algarth still ran the inn if not it could prove problematic.

Ailina listened intently as Valen told her about himself and she then looked towards the inn. "Perfect." She said and then walked inside. There were few people actually there and Ailina looked over her shoulder and out through one of the windows as the sun was setting in the distance.

"Algarth what is happening last time I was at the Medical Miracle it was booming with business!?" Valen walked up to a elf about 5'7 and was rather skinny who only shrugged. His long silver hair sat on his shoulders and his face was rather boney.
"Not sure Valen ever since the darkness moved into the forest people just stop coming around." Valen sighed and then looked at Algarth.
"We need two rooms and some warm food if it won't trouble you that much." Valen had a smile and moved over to a table and sat down.
"For the rooms it will be normal rent so five copper pieces each and the food will be on the house." Valen shook his head.
"No, no Algarth I'll pay for the food." Valen pulled out a golden coin he had looted from one of the mercenaries earlier and flipped it over to him.
"What are you sure Valen I mean ten copper is enough." Valen smirked and then began to speak again.
"Okay you got me here take another." He flipped a second gold coin towards Algarth and then smiled.
"Thank you Valen may the gods bless you." Valen looked at Ailina and threw both his arms towards her.
"My friend they already have." He began to laugh slightly and so did Algarth who ran off to prepare the food. Valen brought his eyes back to Ailina.
"Well welcome to the Medical Miracle." He had a devious smirk and a chuckle to go along with it.

Ailina let out a small "eh?" In confusion when Valen regarded her with his hands after the mentioning of blessing of the gods. She smiled gently however and she inclined her head towards Algarth, she then looked at Valen again. "I'll be paying for the next one." She said with a small chuckle.

"Oh no it is fine." He smirked and closed his eyes to relax. "It's nice to be sitting here with company you know?" He opened his eyes to look at her. He still wasn't sure why he was staying with her. Out of all the things he could've done he had managed to not only find a human but a human that needed assistance. He sighed as his mind wandered and found its' way back to reality.

"Yeah, I know. Traveling can be quite a lonely adventure sometimes." Said Ailina with a brief smile as she looked at Valen and she showed a gentle nod. "There has to be something I can do to repay you, though."

"Your companionship is enough to repay me." He smiled as Algarth showed up with there food.
"Valen I'm sure you know where the rooms are and of course here are the keys." He put down two keys on the table. "I hope you enjoy the stay."
"Will do thank you Algarth." With a small smile he nodded and Algarth slipped away back to the counter to work. Valen brought his attention to the food and Ailina.

Status
Not open for further replies.