Torn between two Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.
"It's probably more afraid of us then we are of it." Ailina said as she brushed some hair from her face. A small yawn escaped her lips and she rubbed her arms slightly as she was getting warmer thanks to the fire. "So it's just like with the humans then... they don't speak of it. Why does the war continue when, as I think, no one even remembers why it started in the first place?" She sighed.

"I'm not even sure myself." He wouldn't sleep well tonight he knew everything in the forest and that sound didn't come from anything in this forest. He laid down and tried to sleep but he even as he tried to sleep his mind wandered throughout the night he didn't fall asleep for at least another half hour.

Ailina remained sitting up and she looked outside as it was raining, once Valen had fallen asleep, she silently stood up and she walked out of the shelter as she looked around, she had put out the fire so that no one would find them in case they had been chased.

He noticed a scratching sound that awoke him but he thought nothing of it. He laid there lightly sleeping awaiting for the worst to happen and yet by sunrise they were still perfectly okay and awoke with a slight yawn thinking he'd awake in his house but when he looked over there was Ailina to remind him that he'd really run away, and that he really had met a human. He sighed slightly and then slowly crept outside the tent trying not to disturb her. It was the first thing he noticed. The claw marks on the tree only 5 feet from where they had slept. They weren't bear claws, or anything he had ever seen it almost look like the marks had caused the tree to decay around the wounds. He felt scared more then ever before. Something could've killed them in the night but it didn't, why? Because it was warning them and he didn't like it at all.

Ailina walked over to the tree and she inspected the claw marks, she narrowed her eyes a bit in a thoughtful manner and she then glanced over her shoulder and towards Valen. "Good morning, slept well?" She asked and then looked at the tree again. "What could've possibly caused such marks...?" She thought to herself.

"I slept fine thank you for asking and yourself?" He was inspecting the marks himself but he decided that it would be easier to move on then stay. "We should keep moving. We're losing time."

"I haven't slept." She said as if it wasn't a big deal and she then turned around and she looked around for a bit before she looked at Valen. "Alright then, where do we go?" She asked as she looked at him. Ailina didn't know the roads around here so she trusted Valen to know where they should go.

"We'll follow the road until it splits. When we get to that spot we'll decide to either go out into the plains of Iverstid or we can head to the city of Din. Either way we're heading towards human cities." He paused to think to himself for a second then headed for the road not wanting to dwell on the beast. "So why didn't you sleep if you don't mind me asking?"

"Very well." She said while she showed a small nod and she then began to walk down the road while resting one hand on her hip. "I couldn't, had too many thoughts in my head." She then said while she showed a gentle smile as she looked at Valen. She then looked forward again while they walked.

He knew it wasn't his place to ask but he did anyway. "What thoughts if I may pry?" He didn't wish to offend her and silently prayed that he hadn't by questioning her.

"Thoughts about the past." She said and a brief sigh escaped her lips. She continued to walk and she stretched out her arms. "We need to get a hold of two horses. Otherwise this travel is going to be very tedious." She sighed while she looked around.

"Yes horses would help but you find any that are raised in these woods. We'd have better luck in the plains of Iverstid so the quicker we get there the easier this trip will be. I am curious about where exactly are we going?" He moved next to her as the walked.

"Any place that might give me answer to my questions... I'm headed for the King's castle." Said Ailina while she frowned in a determined manner. It was a suicide mission for sure, yet Ailina didn't seem frightened at all.

"Then let us go together although I'm not sure how people well react to my appearance." He said as he kept his eyes straight on the trail listening for any sounds.

Ailina pondered for a moment before she looked towards Valen and she reached into her backpack and then pulled out a long cloak with a hood. She tried to gently place it over his shoulders as she stopped for a moment. "Here, wear this."

He grabbed the cloak and worked it on. "So is this suppose to hide my ears?" He kept the hood down and tried to enjoy the soft breeze that had followed the rain.

"If you wear the hood, yes." Ailina responded with a small smirk as she then continued to walk. She looked around while she smiled slightly, she enjoyed walking after it had been raining because it was as if the water washed away anything impure from the world and replaced it with beautiful pearls made out of water. "How long is it before we reach a small town?" She asked.

"it will be at least another day before he we hit the split then another two days through the plains and it would be three days if we wished to head for Din." He looked at her. "The choice is your milady. There are no other cities between us Din, and Iverstid. I might say that Din is the larger of the two cities and has a rumor of being filled with corruption. Rumors also says that the thieves guild is centered there. I myself am not sure for this is the first I've ever left my village." His thoughts drifting to his sister and mother. He wondered if they were scared or if they simply knew what had happened? He slightly paused and stood still as the thoughts took over his mind. He couldn't really address himself without knowing that they were at peace.

"Let us stick to smaller villages for now, I don't wish to draw more attention to us." She said and stopped when he did. Her eyes narrowed slightly and she looked around when she felt as if she was being watched but then shook her head to get rid of the feeling. "Let's keep on moving." She said as she then began to walk again.

He snapped away. "Yes lets so the Iverstid it is. I've always wanted to head their. A small farming village is all they are a inn is really the only thing they have but with our scenario that is perfect is it not?" He looked at her then the trees but quickly his attention was drawn back to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.