Toko Aida Military Academy

Ms. O inwardly sighed, there was always one in every class. Having never been one to sit still she had always found those who wanted to do everything by the book just a bit frustrating. Thankfully several years of teaching ha taught her how to deal with this kind of situation.
"Piloting is not a science it is an art." she said as calmly as possible. "if you fly a ship like a scientist you will not be able to become as great a pilot, there are many things about flying that no text book will ever teach you." Standing up she began passing around the room, slowly moving from one end of the classroom to the other. "A really great pilot will be able to tell when his ship is low on fuel, has an engine problem, and approximately how he or she is going all without looking at the gauges." Having returned to the front of the class she spoke again. "As to why the packet is on the floor, they send me one of those every year simply because they can and so I am disinclined to read any more of them." briefly she paused for a breath "And me and the directors have an understanding, as long as I keep my class out of trouble and have them pass the test they don't really care what I do inbetween." Feeling fairly satisfied she turned her gaze to the feline like girl and let out a low chuckle.
"Yes, I will teach you to fly backwards, however I must insist you at least know the book forwards." Then looking around she said "Anything else?" Spotting a small plant like arm being raised in the back she pointed towards and said "Yes, you in the back."

Last edited:
Reactions: Draknus
"Yes, I will teach you to fly backwards, however I must insist you at least know the book forwards." Then looking around she said "Anything else?"

Spotting a small plant like arm being raised in the back she pointed towards and said "Yes, you in the back."

Yrinky shut her mandibles and wordlessly placed her stalk back on the desk. But she still looked excited, even squirming a bit from being called out.

Last edited by a moderator:
*pop*

Samael hit the floor with a soft thud. Why in the name of all good things does it drop me 3 feet in the air? He quickly took in his surroundings. He appeared to be in a hallway, metal on two sides, as well as top and bottom. As he noticed the slightly lessened gravity, he assumes he must be in space.

Samael stood up and took his usual inventory. Arms? Check. Legs? Check? Head, hair, nose, mouth, eyes? Check. Am I missing anything? OH! Ears! Um… Check! Now to figure out where I am. Let's see…

Samael looked around, and then noticed his clothes. He was wearing an all-black uniform, with some military rank and insignia he'd never seen before. His name was embroidered on his left breast pocket, and he wore a small pistol-like weapon on his right hip.

Why am I wearing a uniform?

Suddenly he was felt dizzy, and leaned against a wall. His mind was flooded with seemingly random information. Ah, so it's one of those types of jumps… Just ride it out and it'll all make sense in a second.

A few moments later he straightened up, and looked around to again get his bearings.

Ok, so I'm somehow a Lieutenant, and I'm supposed to proctor some class or something. I should have my schedule in my pocket… he reached into his right pocket and pulled out a small sheet of paper. Alright, so I need to find room D-4, and I'm apparently late. Great. Let's get started.

He began walking down the hall. As he neared the next intersection, he almost ran over a young male, a cadet he reminded himself, moving down the intersecting hallway. He looked where the young man had come from, and saw what he assumed to be a very unhappy girl, though her coloring appeared to be a bit off. A Xazi, he recalled from the earlier flood of information. Though what a Xazi was, he had little idea.

He walked up to her, with as much confidence as he could muster.

"What's the matter Cadet…" He searched her uniform for her name, "White, is it?" Realizing that he had best keep moving, he decided to go with a more direct approach. "You know what? Come with me. We can talk as we walk. I'm Lt. Samael, but you best call me Sir, and it looks like we're both late for class. Perhaps showing up with an officer will help you out. Now back to the more important question: why are you upset?"

Sarah looked shyly at the ground. A hand went up to wipe the tears from her eyes. "I uhm. Nothing." She didn't look up at his face. "S-Sir."

-=-=-=-

Nero walked to his class, he opened the door and nodded to the teacher as he sat down in a desk.

Samael stopped abruptly. Why do I always do this again? Oh yeah, I'm a sucker for tears.

Turning smartly, he crouched down and looked directly at the young officer-to-be. "Now, look here Cadet. I'm not here to hurt you or punish you. If there is something I can do to help you, I want to know. That being said, if you're not willing to tell me what's going on, I can at least get you to your class and smooth things over with your instructor. Or whatever. Where's your first class?"

"I wish I wasn't here." She mumbled but quickly took a deep breath. "I have battle tactics." Why is he helping me? Sarah looked up at him for a second with a weird look in her eye before looking away. "I think." Sarah almost forgot but then added in a rushed "Sir."

"Alright then. I'm afraid I'm a little new to the school here too, but I think all of the freshman classes are down the D wing. So let's head that way." He offered his arm to the young lady, hoping to give her some comfort. Space Stations always seemed too cold to him, and it had nothing to do with the temperature.

Sarah took his arm meekly and walked with him. She gave a slight shudder when she looked outside. Sarah looked the other way disgusted. She mustn't have liked space, strange for someone joining the Naval forces.

Samael walked down the hall, reading each door display as they passed. Finally he saw what he was looking for.

"Let's see... Here we are D-14, Battle Tactics with Mr. Fennel instructing. I'm assuming this is your class?"

Without waiting for an answer he walked to the door and vigorously pushed it open, hoping to make an entrance. Unfortunately, he hadn't compensated for the lower gravety, and the door slammed against the wall and bounced back shut.

"Whoops. Let's try that again."

This time he opened the door more calmly, and stepped inside, bringing the young cadet with him.

"Cadet White reporting, Mr. Fennel. Please excuse her tardiness, I'm afraid it was a bit my fault. You see, I got lost and needed directions back to the D-Wing."

He then looked around and noticed every cadet in the room staring at him, and the person he assumed to be Mr. Fennel, who in fact appeared to be canine, snarling at him.

"Is something wrong?"

Seyn looked at Yrinky curiously, waiting for her to voice her question.

Yrinky unabashedly made another paper-folding noise as she blinked, only just barely taking notice that Seyn was looking at her. She began to sway left and right excitedly after meeting Seyn's gaze, then extended her head towards the Kronset conspiratorily. "I only wanted to know if we would really learn to fly backwards," Yrinky whispered, making an already quiet voice even quieter.

Seyn laughed heartily at Yrinky's response and it was hard to keep from purring from amusement. "Well, if we do learn to fly backwards any time soon," She told the little plant, "I hope it's after we learn to fly forwards."

"This is the normal way to learn flying?" Yrinky canted her head at Seyn, but nervously glanced back and forth between her and Miss O.

"I haven't got the faintest idea," Seyn shrugged with another canine grin, "The biggest thing I've ever flown was a giant levitating go-cart my cousin invented and that it didn't very well at all."

"The shuttle that brought me here was the first thing I have flown in!..." Yrinky was still looking in the general direction of Seyn, but her eyes took a glazed look for a moment. Her mandibles remained slightly parted, and memories swept her up in a wave...

Yrinky stepped off the shuttle almost experimentally, anxious about the first step she would take onto the only place she will have ever lived aside from her native planet. The step was easy enough, but the stairs which lead from the shuttle were a bit trickier. She ended up tumbling the rest of the way along with the little woven sack of belongings she had brought with her. She was afraid of being crushed for a moment, but the students behind her had paused at the exit to the shuttle for some reason... which she discovered when she noticed the oddly shaped boots standing in front of her mandibles.

She shot to her feet immediately, dropping her bag and raising a stalk in her best imitation of a salute, which her handler had taught her shortly before putting her on the shuttle. She had been told it would ease her transition somehow. She couldn't help swaying in excitement as she introduced herself to the person in front of her. The nametag simply said "Fennel."

"C-cadet Yrinky, reporting fo--" The decidedly canine instructor leaned down towards her and practically barked.

"I KNOW why you're HERE cadet. You're lucky you smell of human broccoli, or I'd be tempted to EAT YOU! We ask for the best and brightest recruits, and they send you," The comment was dripping with sarcasm, but he quickly raised a holographic roster which contained information on all the students aboard. "And it looks like little MISS SPECIAL has her own VERY SPECIAL quarters with her own VERY SPECIAL food supply. You will not speak to a single creature on my station until you report to your BUNK and have STOWED YOUR GEAR! DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR, CADET YRINKY? ROOM E488, ON THE DOUBLE CADET!"

Yrinky had shrieked some approximation of a "yes," except it had emerged as an utterance from her native tongue. Had another one of her kind been there, they would have wondered why she shouted "beans." Yrinky frantically began waddling away, only to reach the exit to the hangar bay and come scrabbling back for her sack, snatching it up in a stalk and disappearing down the corridor... slowly. Where was E488...?

Mister Fennel sneered and turned back to the waiting shuttle full of apprehensive recruits. "Now, who's next?"

"I do not like shuttles," She stated without explanation after snapping out of her momentary trance.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The one I came in on was very large," Seyn told her, "It was a merchant's ship and moved really slowly when it came in to dock. While the Fintellian ship master was very friendly to students, the man that met me as I left the ship seemed like a very frustratable person. I hope he did take my words of advice to heart, or he will never be good company to anyone."

Seyn retrieved her bag of belongings and made her way out of the ship. She spent a few minutes bidding farewell to the monkey-like Captain before giving him a bone-crushing hug, much to the amusement of his crew. She finally began to walk down the wide ramp that allowed for the transport of goods into the bay when she noticed a human at the end of the ramp. He looked very angry and annoyed to be kept waiting.

"No? Well, moving on then if everyone will return their attention back this way." She said cheerfully gesturing with a finger towards her eyes. Moving around behind her desk Ms. O let out a few strained grunts as she lifted a ship control panel up off the floor and onto her desk with a plop, nearly upsetting her lamp. Turning the thing so that all the switches, dials, and steering device were facing the class she casually leaned over the top of the panel.
"This is the control panel of a custom T-24, kindly donated by Admiral Thranin." There was something about the way she said donated that hinted at the fact it was probably not donated, this was reinforced by what she added next. "I charge you guys with reminding me to donate it back after class." Looking at it, it was pretty obvious that no one would donate this, high grade steel polished to a high chrome shine provided the base, all the switches and the steering wheel was made of Keltelnon Giai wood it's dark purple coloration a thing to behold, and each of the dials carefully labeled with silver tags.
"Now while this is a very done up version most ships will have a similar set up, I will discuss those exceptions later, so I would recommend everyone getting used to this view." Shifting yet again to stand in front of her desk Ms. O tripped slightly over the trailing wires from the panel.
"Now since this is many of yours' first class and the simulators will not be programmed until tomorrow we can either sneak next door and just have a little free form flight and see how far you guys get, or we can head over to the shuttle bay and we take a joy ride in my own ship." She was not really fussed either way, but, since she doubted whether most of them new the shuttle bay release from the emergency gravity switch she expected they would want to go for a ride.

(Ladies and gentlemen, by way of special request...)

"Lieutenant... Samael, is it?" 'Mister' Fennel's snarl had mysteriously faded into a placated expression almost the instant Samael spoke, and he now turned to face the lieutenant with his clawed fingers interlaced but resting against his abdomen. Every student in the room tensed even further, even though it looked like it wasn't possible. "You've brought this Cadet to my classroom late, and you say that it was your fault? That you FAILED to properly navigate THESE CLEARLY MARKED SPACE STATION CORRIDORS, and enlisted the help of MY CADET in order to make up for your own SHORTFALLS?"

'Mister' Fennel had crossed the room and was now pacing around the pair in a short circle. His hands had come apart now, and were now balled at his sides as though his violence was only kept in check by an iron discipline forged from many years of experience. He came round to the front of them again and glanced at Cadet White sharply.

"CADET WHITE, find an open terminal and take a seat immediately. Good work; apparently you can't spell 'lost' without Ell-tee." This quip earned 'Mister' Fennel a dull-witted laugh from the back of the classroom-- which was otherwise silent as a tomb aside from Fennel's booming voice-- causing one of Fennel's ears to twitch in the direction it came from. He appeared to forget about the Lieutenant altogether as red crept into the corner of his eyes and he whipped about, producing a "knife" by stretching his fingers out and bringing them together to point menacingly at the bulbous culprit. "YOU: BEAT YOUR FACE! BEAT YOUR FACE NOW!! YOU HAVE LOST YOUR GAMMA DRACONISIAN MIND IF YOU THINK I WILL TOLERATE YOUR INSUBORDINATION!! YOU WILL RESPECT HIS RANK; I WILL TEACH YOU HOW!! BEAT YOUR FACE UNTIL I GET TIRED!!!"

A young alien shaped similarly to a cluster of orange grapes with arms and stubby legs panicked momentarily, desperately looking for a place to do an exercise known as push-ups. After he found a spot, he struggled to perform them due to the circumference of his body... and was actually smacking his face into the floor. Fennel sneered in disgust and turned back to the Lieutenant, calling, "I DON'T HEAR YOU, CADET. HOW MANY IS THAT?"

"W-won Mufter Fnnl.. tooh mffter fnnl.. hh.."

His full attention back on Lieutenant Samael, he spoke slowly as he appeared to fight the red that was creeping into his eyes away. "Lieutenant Samael, we will have words later about your inability to navigate this station. You're dismissed."

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
"Now since this is many of yours' first class and the simulators will not be programmed until tomorrow we can either sneak next door and just have a little free form flight and see how far you guys get, or we can head over to the shuttle bay and we take a joy ride in my own ship."

Yrinky began to sway rapidly, emitting the delighted little "eee" that she had earlier. Her stalks were up in the air. "What should we do, Tall-one? They are both very exciting! Miss O, Miss O, can we do both?!"

Her excited voice was apparently similar to her normal voice, but on helium.

"YOU HAVE LOST YOUR GAMMA DRACONISIAN MIND IF YOU THINK I WILL TOLERATE YOUR INSUBORDINATION!! YOU WILL RESPECT HIS RANK; I WILL TEACH YOU HOW!! BEAT YOUR FACE UNTIL I GET TIRED!!!"

The shouting echoed through the D-hall, causing Seyn to wince as it rang in her ears. "Who is that?" Seyn asked Ms.O, "He sounds vaguely familiar, but with all that yelling he'll hurt himself."

(Looks like I've got a new favorite teacher)