Today I Learned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mu

it’s better then they’re a little bit of a loser.
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
... that the company that runs the buses here is really shitty and would rather leave an entire crowd of people wait one to two hour instea of sending some ahead.

You learn something everyday if you pay attention. Even the smallest and stupidest stuff you notice, you'll find yourself learning something new all the time.

So what did you learn today?

Today I learned that it's easier to cheer people up than to let yourself be cheered up. o_O

Reactions: Mu
See my status.

It's actually really interesting. We know the distances between the stars, so we calculate that, and then most images of the Milky Way Galaxy are either artists renderings, OR they are actually images of the nearby Andromeda Galaxy, which is also a Spiral Galaxy.

Reactions: Mu and Vardoger
I can now, from personal experience, confirm that raspado de cocos con lechera is really good. Someday I'll actually learn what that means too.

Today I learned as a new leader of people..

It is better to be feared for my use of the authority given to me than be liked for my lack of it.

The job must be done. No excuses.

What did I learn today?

I learned that my microwave doesn't like cooking popcorn and the new girl next door has the personality of a wet rag.

In 1927 the Mississippi River flooded like crazy and killed hundreds of people while doing insane levels of property damage. The following year, Congress passed a bill to let the Army Corps of Engineers study and alter country's rivers to prevent or reduce such flooding in the future. The Corps did some studying and small scale model building, bit then in 1943 they started on a huge project: building a 1/2000 scale model of the Mississippi River and all water sources that feed into it. That meant making an accurate scale model of the waterways of about half the continental United States. They used German prisoners of war from WWII as labor to build the thing, and it took about 6 years. When it was done it covered 200 acres of land, and one could only see the whole thing at once by climbing to the top of a 4 story tall observation tower. Engineers used it to test flooding conditions, and it was accurate enough to prevent major damage from at least one major flood that would have caused millions of dollars in damage. The model was not officially closed down until 1993.

Oh, and as a follow-up to the above fun historical fact, even today computer models are not as good as physical models for showing how fluids will move and react, especially in natural conditions. That giant scale model was far more accurate than a lot of the computer programs in use today, and physical models are still created by the Army Corps of Engineers and other organizations to simulate things that our computers cannot do.

Today I learned that diesel people are very impatient and I should probably avoid using the regular/diesel pump in the future.....

Today I two new sandwiches at work. Well kinda. I still have the cheat sheets >>

Reactions: Mu and Greenie
Today I learned that nobody laughs at exposed breasts in paintings in art class anymore. Instead we analyse what it means.

That two battles that went horribly for cavalry occurred on the same day:

The Battle of Agincourt, and the Charge of the Light Brigade both occurred on October 25, or "St Crispin's Day" as said in Henry V.

Today I learned that "If you build it, they will come" is bullshit, and in order to get a turnout you need exposure and effort.

DOES THE SMELL OF BEING SHOULDER DEEP IN A OVERFLOWING GUTTER GO AWAY IN ONE SHOWER?

NO, NO IT DOES NOT.

Today I learned that I've conquered my fear of placing a car key in the ignition and turning it off and on.

I know it sounds stupid but I seriously would sweat with anxiety at it. So, I'm proud of myself! ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.