To Write LOVE On Their Arms

• Thread starter SeparateLivesSeparateLovers
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked over at him and smiled softly. "Do you know the song "Good enough" by Vocal Few?" was my reply as I strummed the opening chords. I didn't have a piano to play, but this had always been a good song for me.

Allistair shook his head softly. "I don't really listen to music...I would, but they took away my earbuds when I got here." He ran his hand through his hair, wondering how that must look. But if you give me the notes and words, I should be able to sing it for you." He smiled slightly, closing his eyes as he listened to her play.

Allistair's hair had already been slightly ruffled, so when he ran a hand through it, nothing changed. I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from smiling, and looked down at my guitar again. "Alright," I said in reply. "It's a duet, so you should notice when my voice changes." I cleared my throat and sang.

"I wade through the empty days until you come back in sight
I count all the different ways but you still wont say it's right
'Cause I am all the selfish things that you'd never want me for
I sail close but you drift away 'til your hearts ready for more
I won't go; no I'm not like them at all

All that you've learned from love
Is you weren't good enough
But all that you've heard is wrong
You know you're strong enough
(The female's part came in here)

I keep all my hurt locked up in a buried treasure chest
Any man who has had a glimpse made a mess of it and left
'Cause I am all the selfish things that you'd never love me for
I was close now I'm far away trying to find the other shore
But don't go, no I'm not like them at all
(I went back and sang the guy's part, so Allistair would know what to sing)

Don't give up, don't go cold, you're close to moving on
If it don't hurt, then it's wrong, so let's hurt for awhile 'til we feel something, oh

Hearts race in the salty air as you put your feet on sand
Like a dream you're in front of me with your treasure chest in hand
Don't leave, I will show everything...."

As Allistair listened to Nova singing, he hesitantly began singing in a wavreing tenor. As he sang, he slowly grew louder, as he became more comfortable with the notes and the rhythm, constantly brushing away his hair even when it wasn't needed. The nervousness was clear on his face. Evie had always been a terrific singer, and Allistair wasn't sure how he was supposed to sing. Trying to keep a blush from appearing on his cheeks, he nervously rubbed the back of his neck, his hands shaking slightly.

Glad when Nova kept singing with him for the male part, he flashed a quick, shaky smile towards her, his hands clasped in his lap. Sighing softly when the song was over, he smiled again towards her. "Is that it?" he asked, once again running his hand through his hair. "Did I...was I good?" he asked, his embarrassment obvious.

I smiled in return. I liked his voice, smooth and hesitant, high enough to hit the notes but not too high for a normal guy to be singing. "You did good," I replied truthfully. "You were on-key and on-tempo, and the sound of your voice adds to that." I flushed a little upon giving him the complement. I bit my lip and looked down at my guitar, almost hiding behind it. I wanted to kiss him again, but I refrained.
"You ever heard of that band?" I asked him with a smile.

Allistair shook his head. "I liked the song, though." Smiling slightly, he continued, "You play well...better than I ever could..." Running a hand through his hair, he caught himself staring at Nova's lips, imagining their softness and texture. Blinking in surprise at that, he shook his head slightly, trying to dispel his imagination. "How long have you played?" he asked, trying to focus on something else.

I blinked at him, slightly surprised. "I- ah, about a year ago," I replied, feeling the calluses on my fingers with my thumb, and twisting the ring on my pinkie finger impulsively, like one might twist worry beads. "I needed a distraction, so I taught myself." Damn, I thought. I really, really, wanted to kiss him- So I did. I leaned forward, my guitar still in hand, and kissed him softly

Allistair was forcing himself to remain focused on Nova's voice when she answered his question, and most certainly not the feeling of her lips against his from when they had been on the roof. He had been about to comment on it, too, when she leaned forwards, placing her lips upon his. In an instant, surprise, excitement, and happiness filled him, yet it took him a moment to return her kiss. Soon, he was slowly moving his lips against hers, one of his hands coming to rest upon hers, still on the guitar.

I intertwined my hand with his as our lips whispered to each other without words, and I shoved away my guitar impatiently, catching it with my foot so it leaned against my leg. I used my other leg to lower it to the floor gently. My free hand went to his hair, as soft and fine as I remembered. His hand cupped the back of my neck, sending my nerves into overdrive.

Suddenly, a memory of kissing Josh popped into my head and I pulled away quickly, lost for a moment before cupping Allistair's face with both of my hands and staring into his eyes, trying to see something, narrowing my eyes and tilting m head to the side. I couldn't see anything at all.

Like with Josh.

When Nova pulled away from him, Allistair longed to return his lips to hers, already missing the feel of them against his own. When she cupped his face, he looked questioningly into her eyes, a light frown on his face. "What is it?" he asked, his dark eyes scanning hers for some form of answer. Reaching up, he gently ran his fingers through her hair, sighing softly.

I leaned my head into his hand, and sighed, dropping my eyes from his. "It's hard to explain," she muttered, feeling like every person in every book who had ever said that. "You won't believe me." She raised her eyes to meet his again, putting her hand over his.

At her response, Allistair couldn't help but frown. "Nova," he said softly, gazing into her eyes, "I really like you...and I want you to know that whatever it is, I will believe you. No matter what." Smiling sadly, he pulled away slightly, letting his hair fall over his eyes.

I took a sharp intake of breath at that, and reached to brush his hair from his eyes, still in which I saw nothing but his sorrow. "I..." I started, my eyes cast downwards. "I can see people's pasts in their eyes, everything, except for a select few people. Two, actually, that I've seen." I swallowed. "You and... someone else." I tightened my hands in my lap.

For a moment, Allistair hadn't believed her. Then, he remembered the promise he had made, and nodded. "Okay." he said simply. After a few moments, he asked, "Why do you think you can't see my past? Or...that someone else's?" Tilting his head to the side curiously, he reached one of his hands out, taking Nova's and smoothing it out against her thigh, before doing the same to the other. In truth, he was a bit glad she couldn't see his. There were many things in his past that he didn't want anyone to know, not even Nova at this point in time. However, he didn't say this, only waited silently for her to answer his question.

I shook my head tiredly. "I've been trying to figure that out, but I really have no idea. Maybe it's just that people can hide it, or something." I was surprised how easily he'd believed me, how he hadn't accused me of insanity or anything akin to that. "That was how I could get you out of the nurse's office so easily," I told him. "I just told them the things I would let... slip about their habits." I smiled a little, a tilt of my mouth.

"Hmm," Allistair murmured. "Well, I think it's really cool...I can't do anything like that...Have you always been able to do that?" Returning her grin with his own, he let his fingers lace with hers. "Thank you, too, for getting me out of there...I felt like I would've gone crazy if you hadn't come..."

I smiled softly, a real smile. "It sucks," I corrected him. "It's just another weight I have to carry. And you're welcome. I wouldn't have left you there like that for too long." I squeezed his fingers gently. "How can you possibly believe me?" I wondered out loud. "It sounds so bizarre, even to me, and I've had it all my life, in answer to your question."

"I promised that I would believe you, no matter what," Allistair answered, smiling gently. "And I am keeping that promise. I know that you wouldn't lie about something like this to me...Well, at least I hope. But regardless, I believe you..." Smiling, he let his hand rest atop of hers before leaning in to kiss you. "If you need to, you can talk to me about it, okay?"

I smiled against his lips when he kissed me, and nodded in agreement when he said I could talk to him. I wasn't ready to talk about my past-and maybe I never would be- but this, I could talk to him about. I leaned in to kiss him when my phone buzzed once against my hip. I jumped. "Phone," I said sheepishly, pulling it out. It was a text from an unknown number, telling me to go down to the lobby for a surprise. I frowned at the screen, confused.

Feeling her phone vibrating through his leg, Allstair pulled back from her a bit, giving her her privacy in case it was something private. He wanted to let her give herself to him, telling him anything she wanted and taking as long as she wanted, never pushing for anything. Seeing her frown, he asked, "What is it?" tilting his head to the side. Instead of looking at her screen, he waited to see if she would tell him what it was, wanting to see how much she trusted him.

Status
Not open for further replies.