To Slay a Dragon: The Tale of a Rebellion

Name: Xelmog 'the white count'
Race: Flesh Golem
Appearance: http://wikicheats.gametrailers.com/...y_4_Credo.jpg/300px-Devil_May_Cry_4_Credo.jpg
He has stitches holding his body together from the neck down
Role: Insurgent Leader
Personality: Uncompromising and brutal, he has a reputation that makes others keep their distance, however he has started to become torn as his reputation is starting to conflict with a growing need for company.
Skills: He is an extremely skilled swordsman and interrogator.
Powers: He can teleport a total of 2 miles in a 24 hour period, whether in one long jump or a series of small jumps.
History: Xelmog was created by a cabal of mages who were experimenting with animating objects with souls. After many years they were successful in creating a golem animated by 12 souls. However the merging of the souls into the shell caused the bodies to similarly fuse, creating Xelmog. Xelmog was thrown out as though trash by his creators, he woke up and wandered for a while before he began a small gang. This began his rise to notoriety as 'the white count'. After a while he turned his attention and resources towards a more political outlet, eventually joining the rebellion.

Well, this will be a short explanation of each school of magic and I'll give you a more detailed fill of how hard certain spells are as I figure out exactly what kind of spells I want him to have.

Destruction Magic : Hopefully you know DnD. Destruction Magic includes things similiar to evocation magic. Lightning bolts, fire balls and ice storms. Destruction Magic is where all his initial magic training comes from. So these spells are easier for him to cast and stronger than the other two schools. Look at it like learning a language, your primary language always comes easier to you than your second or third.

Abjuration Magic : Your pretty close. Abjuration can create magical force fields, magical armor that surrounds the caster or a friend. It is mostly protective magic, but can also be used to counter act negative magical effects or even poison and disease of supernatural sources. Its also used for banishing things like summoned creatures back to their plane. Can even be used to effectively set up a magical alarm system aroudn a camp.

Transmutation : No, it can't create things out of air alas. Only thing hes going to be using transmutation for mostly is creating magical weapons and armor. But it can turn a bunch of ivy into a sturdy rope and things like that. Unlike illusion magic which simply gives things the appearance of looking like something, transmutation actually changes one thing into something else. This will be kept very limited and simple, like the example given and nothing can be created with nothing. I basically included it for the creation of magical equipment so he can inlay items with protective or offensive magic. A sword that causes a jolt of electricity upon impact or a robe that disrupts the air around it to make arrows harder to hit the target.

I'll probably come up with a full list of spells to pull from. I'm not having him be a spell caster based on components but a sorcerer that casts magic through his own willpower. So if he casts a really big spell, he'll be limited to little spells until he can rest. Or he can cast a bunch of little spells and go for a long while and etc, etc. I'll work on it to get you a better explanation of limitations if it helps.

@xmelesiox--That'll work. I should note I'm leaving the option open for some mages to be manipulators of raw elements (as this is the kind of magic dragons start out using), but it would make plenty of sense for there to also be spell-based magic, with less diverse uses but perhaps requiring less time/effort to produce more powerful effects, as well as more easily interpreting effects that couldn't easily be categorized to any single element (transmutation being an example of that).

@Stillbirth--Perhaps, though from that sheet I'm having a bit of trouble getting an idea of just how powerful that character is, what sort of limits or weaknesses he would have. Perhaps even more important would be a proper motivation for a wandering barbarian type to join a rebellion in some random country.

Note to all with incomplete character sheets: please make a post to bring your character sheet to my attention when it's filled out. I am trying to remember to look back periodically, but might easily forget.

He's a nomad Xin, he journeys the world looking for extreme experiences, adventures, loot, and other things to make himself feel alive. He's also usurped various leaders in the past, and you could say he has a bit of a vigilante/avenger-side to him. I think he's about as powerful as you expect a wandering Conan-esque Barbarian to be; quite, but I don't think he's necessarily any stronger than any character we already have. He's just more over the top and all, thanks to how I describe him, all old-school swords-and-sorcery style. Should I "translate" his info to the sheet you laid out for us?

As for weakness, he's still flesh and blood, like everyone else. Anyone can logically still stab/crush/burn/freeze/cut/slice/etc. him to death, and he's not untouchable - there are likely more than a few things out there that can stand toe to toe with him.

Alright, go ahead and do a sheet translation. There's really only a couple of major differences anyway.

Name: Kroylrev "Tyrannizer" Zsmertni, "Warlord of Mars", "Scream of Death"

Race:
Human

Appearance:
Standing at 6''8, Kroylrev seems almost like a living pillar of strength and wrath, with burning eyes that seem like an abyss and a sullen face, harsh, and scarred like the rest of his body. His hair is dark brown, going down a bit past his shoulders and can sometimes look rather unkempt and messy, further lending to his savage appearence. He is usually waring a rugged and sleeveless vest of a dark blue material, upon which strange markings and patches have been attached, bearing fierce and eye-catching symbols. Upon the back of this prized vest is a large patch bearing the mark of the clan he originates from. Beneath it one can often find one of his various black shirts, often having similar symbols inscribed upon it. There are spikes upon the shoulders and it goes down to his waist. Upon his hands and extending down to near his elbows are spiked and studded gauntlets, and he sometimes wears protective and hardy gloves of metal. His pants seem torn at the knees and worn from age, made of a blue denim-like material. He has a suit of armour he may wear at times as well, but he only equips it for when he thinks he's truly going to need it.

Role:
(what they're doing now; most characters near the beginning should be members of the emerging rebellion, but try to be slightly more specific than just "member", i.e. what sort of tasks they can/will usually perform) A commander of the common footslogger, a berserker at the front of a raging battle, a shadowy thief in the black of the night, and a living icon of power and possibility. His rugged history has forced him to learn to be highly adaptable, although he is usually seen as an elite warrior and morale-boosting/enemy-morale-decreasing weapon.

Personality:
A man of action and experience, Kroylrev Zsmertni lives up to his harsh image. He is powerful and destructive and knows that, but he he still has a sense of the honourable to him, with a strong sense of loyalty to those true to him. At the same time, he often seems restless and wild. He respects the strength of others, but it is not the physical strength but rather that of the will, the drive to survive, and their adaptability to the world around them. He is usually rather straightfroward and simple, yet he has a cunning and harshly analytical side to himself. While he is no paladin, he does have some degree of moral belief, and has been known to take vigilante-like actions, sometimes becoming an avenger for those less capable, although these are things one usually doesn't hear about him doing.

Skills:
(Mental and physical ability) Beneath the appearence of a ruthless barbarian, there lies the soul of a brooding and sharp-eyed man, one who dissects all that is before him, seemingly in the space of a glance. He is knowledgeable in a variety of fields, including ancient mythos, bestial entities, powers from beyond, as well as certain combat doctrines and other things that pop up here and there. One thing that sticks out about him is his musical ability; he's a maniac on his so-called "magic axe", creating songs that strike fear into enemies and turn normal soldiers into gods of war. His years of wandering have made him rather seemingly aloof, but he is good at leading men and keeping their spirits high, as well as intimidating enemies. His skill with the sword, the chain, and the axe is impressive, but more often than not, he is known to experiment with weapons of the enemy.

Powers:
(Magical abilities, including any that are typical for one's race.) It goes by a variety of names. The Secret of Steel, The Wrath From Unknown, the Codex Infernal, The Superion, among others. Whatever its true name may be, it a sort of esoteric form of magic, shrouded in the mysteries of ancient and warlike lands. It is said to have been born from the immortal conquering and transcendent spirit of those of those who lived in a land somewhere far beyond, one of hardship and a constant battle for survival. The god-entity said to rule these lands and created its inhabitants is a cruel and harsh god, who purposely gave them a violent and unforgiving world as their home, but it is said that he did not despise them. He granted them a gift, a powerful part of their souls, a driving and relentless, unwavering, and almost instictive sense of courage, power, and force, one that can conquer all adversity and opposition.The magic of these people is strongly linked to their fearsome and warlike music, where it is said that you can feel the very force of it flowing through your own, like a stream of raw destruction just waiting to happen. It can manifest itself in a variety of ways; sometimes as raw lightning, horrific and amorphous shapes summoned from beyond, the very earth exploding beneath one's feet, or even a momentary transcendence from man into demigod. It has no real definite element, but rather seems to manifest a part of one's raw consciuosness/spirit into reality.

History:
(Who your character is and how they got to where they are now. Feel free to make some stuff up if details are missing, as long as it doesn't contradict what's already been said.) Born into a savage and harsh world, Kroylrev's life was a daily and violent struggle for survival, but one that made him incredibly perseverant and an impressive specimen of his kind. Unsatisfied with a simple life as one of his clan's warriors, he soon set out alone to experience the vastness of the world and to burn with life, becoming many things in his life. He was a musician, a thief, a mercenary, a bodyguard, a warrior, a leader and countless others. He travels often alone, seeking extreme experiences and going to the edge. He's come to this land latey, hearing tales of tyrants and dragons, seeing another legend to take part in, and another explosive event with which to burn with life.

Weapon(s): His main weapon as a large sword, a two-hander, although more often than not, he can wield it with a single hand. It is a cruel blade, one that resonates with his conquering spirit and is said to contain the very energies of the strange so-called "magic" his people use, along with an entity from beyond of immense power. A large knife, a modified hunting one he's turned almost into a short sword, may often be wielded in his other hand, and a secondary weapon, such as a small axe or a bladed shield, may often find itself in his personal inventory.

Yet perhaps his most distinctive weapon is one that is half stringed instrument and half battle-axe, the signature tool of the musician-barbarians of his homeland. Drenched in otherworldly power, it can be used to channel the forces from the world beyond as well as to turn his wrath into something tangible and able to be experienced, often with devastating results.

He keeps a pair of chains which he can use like whips, sometimes wrapping his fists in them for when he feels like getting up close and personal. Sometimes blades are attached to them and they are known to be mana receptive.

Hmm...it's kind of hard to explain, he ends up sounding powerful the way he's described, though on a re-read I get the impression he functions kind of like a bard ("buffing" friends and "weakening/terrifying" enemies), though one with a decent amount of strength and direct offensive ability. I think this character can work well if played well.

Would you mind if he tracks down the abandoned tavern the group's staying in and barges in toward the beginning? Somehow I imagine that would make for an interesting scene...

Did some more work on my character sheet. the nature of Counter magic has been fleshed out and I've added personality ect. I got the impression that would wanted to flesh out the background of Rakanel and use it as characterization for Tarimel. this still the case?

@Stillbirth--Okay. I think I can sort of see it..in any case, the character's accepted.

@TC--I think Xelmog is quite good; the one thing I am curious about is the conditions of teleporting; like, can he look at a spot and teleport to it or is it calculated by distance and direction? Ultimately, I'm wondering about how high the risk is of him accidentally teleporting into a rock or something.

@Ryex--Character looks fine so far; keep in mind that dragons in this world can (and fairly often do) take human(oid) forms. The gist of the occurrence leading to Rakanel's death would be that Tarimel was welcomed as an old friend of some sort, but that later on some discussion of things that was either in a language Horic didn't understand, or he was out of earshot or something, turned sour and eventually became a rather destructive, intense battle. Presumably Horic would be warned to get as far away from the destruction as possible, and return once things had calmed down to find the old dragon dead and the other one apparently flying away; the direction Tarimel was flying in would eventually lead Horic to the country of Viveria. The details depend partially on Rakanel's character, so I leave them largely up to you.

So, think we got enough folks to start this?

it's based off of sight and memory, however if he tries to teleport to something outside his range, he might end up in a rock.

Okay. I'll probably start the IC sometime tomorrow or, if not, Friday. We're running on the supposition that all the accepted characters have already joined the group and know at least each others' names, are in the tavern with Lirren.

In Horic's case he would only have joined that day, that sound ok?

I'm formulating a character, but It might be a couple of days

I just made the IC! I leave it to the individual players to decide (and hopefully mention in-post) at what point their respective characters joined the rebellion; hopefully someone joined after Lirren's first speech because otherwise I have to make up an NPC who did that. I've also updated the character list with all the characters who've been accepted so far and summaries for most of them, sort of like mini-profiles you might get off a movie website or something. Let me know if anything's wrong with your character's information.

@kitora:Alright, characters can still be added so don't worry about that.

Is it too late to put up a character sheet? This looks interesting.

Definitely not too late, still need characters.