To Save a Beast

Kara studied Faye as she spoke, and didn't pry any further when she suddenly jumped up and moved away to take care of the food. It sounded like Faye had trouble in her past, in a different sort of way than Kara's. And she didn't want her past pried into, so she couldn't imagine that Faye would. Especially since they were still practically strangers.

Focusing instead on the food placed in front of her, Kara dug in carefully. She didn't want to show bad manners, nor did she want to look uncouth in front of this woman. However, after a couple bites her hunger seemed to take over and she started shoving food into her mouth as fast as she could.

When she finished, she looked sheepish and grinned at Faye. "That was really good."

Faye watched how Kara carefully tested her cooking out. She seemed to approve however as she dug right in. Once Kara emptied her plate Faye smiled understandingly and got up to refill her plate. "I'm glad you like it," she said putting a full plate in front of the other woman. "Eat as much as you want. I've made plenty," Faye said wondering briefly when was the last time Kara had eaten any real food.

Kara blushed and gratefully accepted the plate when Faye returned it with more food. This time she ate slowly and savored the meal a little more. Her stomach was pleased, and although she knew her metabolism would kick in shortly and she'd be just as hungry in a few hours, at least it wasn't as achingly obvious as the hunger had been yesterday. Kara would be able to deal. Since she ate slower this time, Kara took the time to study Faye a little more. The woman was attractive, and Kara couldn't deny that she was very aware of her attractiveness. She could only imagine how she must look. Probably ragged, and her scent couldn't possibly be pleasant. Kara had managed to clean up a little at the last bus stop, but it hadn't been that well. And her hair had to be crazy. Surely she didn't look as appealing.

Kara really needed to have a place soon so she could impress Faye a little. Though, she wasn't sure exactly why she was adamant about impressing her. She tried to blow it off as her instincts, but Kara wasn't all sure. Was this what it felt like to be so attracted to someone that you actually desired them? She wasn't sure, and she really wanted to learn and find out.

"Thank you for you kindness," Kara said with a smile. "The food was very good." Kara stood to go clean her plate out of courtesy, leaving her backpack on her chair. "I'd hate to eat and run, but I'll need to go find a place to camp out for the night." Staying in this city would be hard if she had to sleep outside. It would be difficult to keep a low profile while she slept if she could only find parks and nothing really secluded.

This time Kara ate slower it seemed truly enjoying the food Faye had made. This made her smile happily as she worked on her own plate slowly. Faye was certain Kara had been alone and on the go for quite some time it appeared. She chewed her food thoughtfully in silence staring off towards the fridge though her eyes weren't really seeing it. She remembered the day she'd came to the little bookstore straight off the bus. If Kara mentioned a place to stay she'd tell her exactly what Mrs. Beasley had said to her.

The soft scrapping sound of Kara's chair being pushed back pulled Faye from her swirling thoughts as the other woman got up and went to the sink to clean her plate. When she mentioned she'd have to leave to find a spot to stay for the night Faye nodded and stood as well walking over to stand beside her though she was careful not to invade Kara's personal space. "I understand. You're welcome here any time Kara. If you're looking for lodging Mrs. Beasley has a room available. I don't believe she'd mind though you can go work it out with her," Faye said with a warm smile.

"There's a shelter three blocks up the street though it's first come, first served there. . ," Faye continued holding her hands up conveying that commodities such as hot food, hot water and good areas for the cot would be a 50/50 split. "Or if you take the city bus to the end of its route south you'll be about a block from the warehousing district. There are a few buildings there that the police just cleared from squatters. I don't think anyone's moved back in yet," Faye said thoughtfully calculating the days in her head before nodding.

She smiled again and leaned over a little closer to Kara so she could turn the faucet to the other sink so she could clean her plate as well. When she was finished she set her rinsed plate to the left of the double sinks and pulled down a clean plate. Piling the plate with noodles and extra sauce she silently hoped that Kara would choose Mrs. Beasley's room. For some reason Faye wanted to know Kara was alright perhaps because she'd been in a similar situation having no where to go when she'd came to this city.