To Older Roleplayers - Is Smut like a car thing for roleplaying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AirQuest

Original poster
I am currently under the legal age, to roleplay smut. Which is not something I'm hugely, interested in, so it's not an issue to me.

Now for roleplaying I've only been turned down for either my gender, for the people who want female partners, only, or my age.

I am willing to assume that the age thing is NOT always smut related. I've heard older roleplayers say that they don't like roleplaying with younger people, because they have bad experiences with us being one-line posters, making overly dramatic/edge lord, characters, thinking it's cool to cuss a lot, and in general being annoying to deal with. My question is not aimed at these people, I understand they got burned a few times, and are simply weary of younger (less mature) partners.

That being said I am curious, for those of you who only do 18+ because of smut, is it like driving a car? Is that like the reasoning behind it? Once you can drive (do smut) why would you go back to riding a bike (not doing smut) ?

Actually, it's part of the rules. Smut cannot be played out between underage members and adult members, not just for members protection, but for the site's protection as well.

Smut really doesn't have anything to do with the reason that I request partners 18+ though. Smut isn't a necessity for me, but as an adult and a parent, I do feel uncomfortable cussing and playing out any sort of adult situation with someone who is not of legal age. If I would feel uncomfortable with my children reading it, I cannot write it to someone underage.

Actually, it's part of the rules. Smut cannot be played out between underage members and adult members, not just for members protection, but for the site's protection as well.

Smut really doesn't have anything to do with the reason that I request partners 18+ though. Smut isn't a necessity for me, but as an adult and a parent, I do feel uncomfortable cussing and playing out any sort of adult situation with someone who is not of legal age. If I would feel uncomfortable with my children reading it, I cannot write it to someone underage.

Thank you for your detailed response, but that's not quite what I'm asking.

I'm referring to people who want smut so badly, that they will turn down someone just because they can't get smut.

It's why I used the car analogy. Once you can do it, does it feel weird to not be able to?

Ah, well I can't exactly answer for anyone else outside of the rule limit. For me, it's a comfort thing. I have a few rps without smut, but I still prefer having adult partners. I wouldn't entirely rule out someone underage, but I would feel a need to censor myself, and that alone would put me off the idea. It's not intended to be personal, I just can't shut off my mom brain.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Ah, well I can't exactly answer for anyone else outside of the rule limit. For me, it's a comfort thing. I have a few rps without smut, but I still prefer having adult partners. I wouldn't entirely rule out someone underage, but I would feel a need to censor myself, and that alone would put me off the idea. It's not intended to be personal, I just can't shut off my mom brain.
Thanks!

I am currently under the legal age, to roleplay smut. Which is not something I'm hugely, interested in, so it's not an issue to me.

Now for roleplaying I've only been turned down for either my gender, for the people who want female partners, only, or my age.

I am willing to assume that the age thing is NOT always smut related. I've heard older roleplayers say that they don't like roleplaying with younger people, because they have bad experiences with us being one-line posters, making overly dramatic/edge lord, characters, thinking it's cool to cuss a lot, and in general being annoying to deal with. My question is not aimed at these people, I understand they got burned a few times, and are simply weary of younger (less mature) partners.

That being said I am curious, for those of you who only do 18+ because of smut, is it like driving a car? Is that like the reasoning behind it? Once you can drive (do smut) why would you go back to riding a bike (not doing smut) ?
I used to do 18+ RPs, until i grew tired of it, and to be honest, i don't find it fair to turn people away because of their gender or age,
i don't mind roleplaying with someone younger, because i had RP partners who were younger and very fun to play with.
in some communities, i saw age being used mainly for smut RPs, even underaged users were allowed to do that, or characters, this is why it's important to check the age of the members, to avoid the whole community to be a huge mess..

i came accross a lot (in the past), who wanted smut and were obsessed about it, personnally, i'm not comfortable with it..

• Thank You
The only time I ever did Smut was when I was younger than 18, but at that age I was on a different site whose only rule about it was to keep it to PMs.

Though back when I did it, it was frankly just due to hormones.
I was horny, I wanted to explore this sexual world that parents, school etc would always try to shield me from.
That, and I had (somehow) convinced myself that it was teaching me how to be better at relationships... It wasn't until a while later I looked back at that and realised what a stupid idea that was.

Eventually I grew tired of it though, and stuck with more serious RPs... only to them move past those as well for shit posty RPs, because there's nothing more fun than making a giant train wreck only be beaten by an even bigger one.

• Useful
Okay. So. I've done smut roleplays for as long as I can remember. I even got banned from a couple places because of "cybersex". That was many many years ago. For me personally, I just enjoy it! Trying to get that detail in there, trying to make it feel real? If that makes sense. I don't know. In a way, I also feel like it can create a more genuine interaction between characters. I don't know. It's weird. That's just my feelings for it.

Do I do roleplays that don't contain smut? Yes but barely. Do I prefer that? No.

And roleplaying with younger people, I don't have a huge issue with. I just know what I enjoy, elements I add, and I am too scared that maybe I will cross a line. So better safe than sorry. Especially if it's a one x one kind of deal.

• Thank You
Okay. So. I've done smut roleplays for as long as I can remember. I even got banned from a couple places because of "cybersex". That was many many years ago. For me personally, I just enjoy it! Trying to get that detail in there, trying to make it feel real? If that makes sense. I don't know. In a way, I also feel like it can create a more genuine interaction between characters. I don't know. It's weird. That's just my feelings for it.

Do I do roleplays that don't contain smut? Yes but barely. Do I prefer that? No.

And roleplaying with younger people, I don't have a huge issue with. I just know what I enjoy, elements I add, and I am too scared that maybe I will cross a line. So better safe than sorry. Especially if it's a one x one kind of deal.
Thank you for your insight.

Reactions: Celest
As a redstar roleplayer I personally enjoy having more room to explore IC. By extension, for me that means the lessening of rigid boundaries throughout a story line, and giving whatever is happening a more realistic/organic flow. Plots can turn as mature as all parties allow if we so permit. That can consist of anything between vulgar language, sexual content, violence, etc. I like to feel as if "the skies the limit" to as much of a degree as possible should my partner and I choose to dabble in any of those aspects. Having the option to remain uncensored, and unrestricted in that regard.

Not only that, but with my particular rp background I have always had such an option, so roleplaying here with a teen member would restrict a freedom I've had throughout my entire decade of roleplay experience. I'm truthfully not in the least bit interested in that.

So, I'll continue to drive until the wheels fall off.
No offense to teen members, of course.

• Love
Reactions: Izurich
New I am currently under the legal age, to roleplay smut. Which is not something I'm hugely, interested in, so it's not an issue to me.
You can roleplay smut, with people your own age. It is not legal for you to write smut with adults. While I understand you're not too interested in pursuing this I wanted this to be clarified.

From my own experience, it is simply that I am more comfortable writing with people over the age of 18. Even 18 is a bit young for me as there is over a ten year age difference. Whether or not the roleplay will contain smut is beside the point, it's a comfort issue. As an aside, I do write smut, and sometimes it is not planned but something that occurs naturally in the course of the story and writing with a minor would inhibit this natural progression.

• Thank You
You can roleplay smut, with people your own age. It is not legal for you to write smut with adults. While I understand you're not too interested in pursuing this I wanted this to be clarified.

From my own experience, it is simply that I am more comfortable writing with people over the age of 18. Even 18 is a bit young for me as there is over a ten year age difference. Whether or not the roleplay will contain smut is beside the point, it's a comfort issue. As an aside, I do write smut, and sometimes it is not planned but something that occurs naturally in the course of the story and writing with a minor would inhibit this natural progression.
Thank you, for sharing!

I don't roleplay with minors not because I don't believe in their abilities. On the contrary, I believe playing with minors who have lower level writing skills might actually help build on those skills. A race horse doesn't win just because it's fast, it wins because it's been trained. That being said, many minors have better language and writing abilities than I do, but I don't roleplay with them because I work with (or used to) teenagers and can't get past the fact that I am writing with someone the age of my kiddos in the programme. So I can't take a roleplay seriously.

• Thank You
People want to RP stuff that they're interested in. If they want to do smut then they want to do smut. Why is it weird that they would turn down people who don't want to do smut?

Like, let's say you've got a really intense craving for a pirate roleplay. So you make a partner search thread where you say that you really want to do a pirate roleplay. You get an interested partner, but, they don't seem to want to do the pirate roleplay. And if they're not willing to do the thing that you really want to do, then, why would you RP with them? You're not getting what you want out of it, and it doesn't make sense to RP something that you're not interested in.

The same can be applied to more broader things, like really wanting to do an RP in a fantasy setting and not being interested in other genres. Or it can be applied to people seeking fandom RP's (or people who strictly don't do fandom RP's). Or, lastly... people seeking smut RP's. If that's what you're interested in then you're going to seek out partners that you can do it with. And it makes perfect sense that an RPer would turn down potential partners if those potential partners aren't interested in doing the same thing as them. All that being said, I really don't think smut is a special case, at least in terms of turning down partners. Just like anything else you could want in an RP, you're going to want to seek out partners who can deliver. Really the only thing that makes smut different is the legal barrier between adults and teens.

Also -- some people are just really picky about their tastes and preferences, so I don't think it's surprising at all that someone would continuously turn down partners until they can find someone who can offer exactly the sort of RP that they're looking for (however long that might take). And, like I said, if someone really wants to RP smut... they're going to find someone that they can RP it with. Just like how, if someone really wants to RP canon characters in a fandom roleplay, and a potential partner is interested in the RP idea but is completely opposed to canon characters, it seems reasonable that the canon-playing RPer would turn down that partner. Not because playing canon characters is a special experience that people can't turn down once they've tried it and that they'll only ever RP with people who are also willing to do that -- they just seek out people who are cool with canon characters because... that's what they're really craving.

Last edited:
As for my own preferences... eh. I'm not into smut RP's, and I'm a group RPer, so the experience of making an RP and opening it up to a bunch of players isn't quite the same thing as seeking out specific partners. That being said, I've never been picky about the age of my players. Sure, I'll admit, poor grammer and low-quality writing can sometimes be more common in teen players than adult ones. But... I've still met plenty of teen players whose grammar and writing was just fine, and plenty of adult players whose writing may have needed a bit of work. And given that variation, I'm not going to turn someone down at the door just because they might be statistically more likely to be a poor writer. (Hell, I usually don't filter people out based on writing skill anyway. If I can understand what you're saying and you seem to be putting in some effort, then, go nuts. I might be a bit annoyed by spelling and grammar errors in a CS or IC post, but I'm not here to play Grammar Nazi, and I knew what you were trying to say, which, to me, is really the important part.)

And there's really no reason for me to feel weird RPing with teen members either. Like... I'm only 20. I was a teen not that long ago. Hell, half the time it's weird to even think that I'm technically an adult. @_@ And, if I did have an aversion to playing with members below a certain age... why would 18 always have to be the cut-off point? Why would I be so much more comfortable playing with an 18-year-old than a 17-year-old? Surely there's much more of a maturity and skill difference between an 18-year-old and a 30-year-old -- but they're both Redstar players, so they should both be a-ok if you're an adult-only player, right? I dunno, placing this kind of value on a specific number like that always felt weird to me. Like, yeah, I understand why there needs to be some sort of concrete cutoff date between being an adult and being a minor for legal reasons. But when it comes to just person-to-person interaction and one's understanding of maturity... I can understand why people would be more comfortable around people of their own age, but I feel like it should then be judged on a case-by-case basis of how close in age someone else is to you. Rather than thinking of an 18-year-old and a 17-year-old as being completely different beings when the difference between them is really negligible in terms of how young both of them are compared to you.

I don't roleplay with minors not because I don't believe in their abilities. On the contrary, I believe playing with minors who have lower level writing skills might actually help build on those skills. A race horse doesn't win just because it's fast, it wins because it's been trained. That being said, many minors have better language and writing abilities than I do, but I don't roleplay with them because I work with (or used to) teenagers and can't get past the fact that I am writing with someone the age of my kiddos in the programme. So I can't take a roleplay seriously.
Thank you, for your answer!

As for my own preferences... eh. I'm not into smut RP's, and I'm a group RPer, so the experience of making an RP and opening it up to a bunch of players isn't quite the same thing as seeking out specific partners. That being said, I've never been picky about the age of my players. Sure, I'll admit, poor grammer and low-quality writing can sometimes be more common in teen players than adult ones. But... I've still met plenty of teen players whose grammar and writing was just fine, and plenty of adult players whose writing may have needed a bit of work. And given that variation, I'm not going to turn someone down at the door just because they might be statistically more likely to be a poor writer. (Hell, I usually don't filter people out based on writing skill anyway. If I can understand what you're saying and you seem to be putting in some effort, then, go nuts. I might be a bit annoyed by spelling and grammar errors in a CS or IC post, but I'm not here to play Grammar Nazi, and I knew what you were trying to say, which, to me, is really the important part.)

And there's really no reason for me to feel weird RPing with teen members either. Like... I'm only 20. I was a teen not that long ago. Hell, half the time it's weird to even think that I'm technically an adult. @_@ And, if I did have an aversion to playing with members below a certain age... why would 18 always have to be the cut-off point? Why would I be so much more comfortable playing with an 18-year-old than a 17-year-old? Surely there's much more of a maturity and skill difference between an 18-year-old and a 30-year-old -- but they're both Redstar players, so they should both be a-ok if you're an adult-only player, right? I dunno, placing this kind of value on a specific number like that always felt weird to me. Like, yeah, I understand why there needs to be some sort of concrete cutoff date between being an adult and being a minor for legal reasons. But when it comes to just person-to-person interaction and one's understanding of maturity... I can understand why people would be more comfortable around people of their own age, but I feel like it should then be judged on a case-by-case basis of how close in age someone else is to you. Rather than thinking of an 18-year-old and a 17-year-old as being completely different beings when the difference between them is really negligible in terms of how young both of them are compared to you.
Thank you for your thoughtful, and detailed answer. I appreciate it.

Reactions: Kagayours
Status
Not open for further replies.