To Iwaku's Gun Owners...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As to your first paragraph, I find the bolded part most interesting. Can you cite examples?
[spoili]
[/spoili]

[spoili]
[/spoili]

[spoili]
[/spoili]

Those are store robberies. It's rather difficult to find videos of home invasions, but I'm sure there's some out there, I just don't feel like digging.

The second video is a bit long, but there are clerks who prevented robberies by using chili powder, a sword, and just straight out kicking the robbers ass. It can be done without a gun, and plenty of people have done it and gone unharmed.

Reactions: Mid
Who's gonna take that seriously when you can have the much more dangerous 'rolling pin' violence?

You know, you're right! Rolling pins are much more common than iron frying pans. And a lot cheaper.

I personally don't own any firearms although I may consider purchasing one in the future just for safety. There are times when hand to hand combat WILL NOT WORK. A gun can outdo a lifetime's training of martial arts in an instant. So yes guns are necessary for self-defense.

Another alternative to firearms would be air guns... same recreational value, but with less noise and cost. Target or tin can won't know the difference.

Personally, I think they should make it way harder to get a gun with mental tests, fees and a wait period along with a crash course on how to safely use it, put it away and so on. That to me is a better way to control guns then simply showing your I.D.

Oh, you mean DROS fees and the mandatory ten day wait period? And the fact you need a "Safety Certificate" to buy a gun, which requires a quick glance through the manual, a short test, and another fee? Not counting the dealer showing you (and testing you) on proper handling... been there, done that.

I also support the idea of banning assault rifles. Why? Assault rifles mean faster kills than a handgun. That is why they are deemed more deadly. The bullets come out faster, there are more bullets in a clip, it is a bigger gun.

I...

...don't...

...think...

... so.

Oh, and by the way, the proper term is magazine, not clip.

Guns make people feel more in control/powerful. It can also make some behave wreckless and irresponsible.

Just because YOU may handle a gun correctly does not mean the person next to you will treat it the same.

Guns don't make people reckless and irresponsible. Being reckless and irresponsible makes people reckless and irresponsible. Whether that happens to be with a gun or a chain saw or.......

And when it comes to handling things, that applies not only to guns, but to anything else that can be handled.

[spoili]
[/spoili]

[spoili]
[/spoili]

[spoili]
[/spoili]

Those are store robberies. It's rather difficult to find videos of home invasions, but I'm sure there's some out there, I just don't feel like digging.

The second video is a bit long, but there are clerks who prevented robberies by using chili powder, a sword, and just straight out kicking the robbers ass. It can be done without a gun, and plenty of people have done it and gone unharmed.

Thank you... funny, but I seem to remember seeing that "gun grab" one some time back. But even you have to admit, these are exceptions, not the rule.

florau.jpg

Thank you... funny, but I seem to remember seeing that "gun grab" one some time back. But even you have to admit, these are exceptions, not the rule.
There is no such rule stating that you have to own a gun to protect yourself....or you must have a gun to defend yourself against an armed person.

There is no such rule stating that you have to own a gun to protect yourself....or you must have a gun to defend yourself against an armed person.

Indeed. But there is this thing called "wisdom". Let me put it another way: Your house is on fire. You cannot get out of your house (because the flames are in the way). You have the choice of using a fire extinguisher or your bare hands. Which would you choose?

Like I said, the incidents you cite are the exception, not the rule. Not as you interpreted the word "rule"... what I said is what's known as "an expression". As in, most unarmed people would be dead if they tried to grab a perp's gun. Just like most people would be burned if they tried to pat out a fire with their bare hands. I also noted one of your examples cites right in the vid title "former marine". In other words, someone trained in unarmed combat. So, in order to survive a violent encounter, most people need something better than their bare hands and luck. Luck? Yes. Because all those bare-hand examples of self defense required their "performers" to be within hands-reach of their attacker. A gun doesn't need to be within reach to kill you. A gun is not a knife. Even that "former marine" could have found himself too far away to do any good. Though yes, I've seen plenty of "stupid crook" vids. Still.

Oh, and yes, the dog was also lucky. I noted the dog was not clamped to the arm holding the gun. I also noted this incident occurred in France. I would imagine, had the dog not by chance been there, things would have ended quite different.

And I also know there are many more instances where unarmed people were unable to defend themselves. Really, it's all a matter of... well, there are many factors involved, but training is vital if you wish to defend yourself unarmed. It's a matter of choice. Some people choose to trust their luck (like the store clerk who just happened to have a large dog behind the counter), others choose to arm themselves, so they are better able to defend themselves against an armed attacker.

Anyone else, feel free to comment on this whole "unarmed defense" issue @Nydanna has brought up.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd bring up this article. Since my original article, written by a psychologist, didn't gel.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd bring up this article. Since my original article, written by a psychologist, didn't gel.
Oh, neat. Guess I'll uh, tackle this one.

First, quickly gotta get this out of the way, but when looking for the credibility of an argument, 'ere's a few things.
  1. First and foremost, there are three types of arguments, generally. Ethos, Pathos, and Logos.
    • Ethos: Argument from personal credibility/accomplishment. Generally speaking, when you have someone making an argument, you generally do want to look at their credibility. A psychologist making commentary about psychology is, by default, more credible than some random fucktard on the Internet (hi mom!), but credibility alone doesn't win an argument. There are totally credibly verified scientists who spent several years in post secondary education, who still reject basic facts like climate change, or evolution, against the vast majority of the scientific community and scientific consensus. Ethos, under no circumstances, trumps logos.
    • Pathos: Argument of emotion. This is basically how persuasive an argument is. If you have two equally valid positions (ex: ideologies), the one with the more compelling pathos generally wins. Moralistic points are almost always pathos arguments.
    • Logos: Argument of reason. Logos is essentially an argument based on facts--logic, and reason. Something which can be, clearly, visibly deduced and known. If I drop a feather and a hammer at the same time, measure the speed at which both drop, and then take said numbers and present them to prove which drops faster? That's a logos argument. Many pathos arguments are draped in a logos disguise.
Now, why am I going over argument types? Because a lot of arguments--both pro and anti gun control--tend to be pathos pretending to be logos. From the article in the quote above...

Propaganda said:
The most revealing fact in the gun-control controversy is that among all of the criminologists who have ever changed their opinion on gun control, EVERY LAST ONE has moved from a position supporting gun control to the side skeptical of gun control and not the other way around... NOT EVEN ONE! Think about the significance of that one simple fact.

Not even one, huh? Five minutes on Google proved that assertion wrong. This isn't a logical argument; this is assuming the thought patterns of every single person in a single profession. That's a pathos argument! It's meant to emotionally sway you by saying that "everyone with credibility says X!" But... That's basically never true in any case, no matter how fundamentally true the fact may be.

A logos argument uses facts, and studies, and numbers. It does not make chest-beating assumptions.

Ridiculous Challenge said:
I challenge any of my readers to provide even one single example of any criminologist who has had his work, skeptical of gun control, published in a respected professional journal and then later published works supporting it. Such evidence does not exist. That's because the more they learn, the more obvious it becomes that gun control has never worked anywhere that it has been tried.

People rarely change from their positions once they gain them. The same silly argument could be made of people who support gun control. "It has never worked anywhere that it has been tried." The number of overall suicides in Australia dropped by double digit percentage points after the gun buy back. The number of gun-related homicides dropped almost entirely off the face of the map. Most countries with gun control have a far lower homicide rate than the United States of America. Now you can make an argument that the second amendment obviously doesn't work because the homicide rate in the US is higher than anywhere else in the first world where gun ownership isn't a right.

All of that in the above paragraph is an example of assertion. Australia's homicide rate with other weapons increased when the firearm homicide rate decreased, and armed robbery is still a thing. Yet, by simply carefully choosing my words, I'm able to assert facts that--while technically true--distort the real picture. This is pathos 101, this is propaganda 101. Just say the facts you're most comfortable with to make the argument you want, rather than what might necessarily be true. Like "every criminologist has changed their mind on gun control" suddenly turned into "give me proof that a criminologist who doesn't support gun control changed their minds." Hmm... Fuckin' wonder why that happened.

SOURCES! NEAT!

So the majority of these claims about criminologists is placed on this study. Which is neat and all, except, it's all telephone interviewed self-reporting... Oh...

iWKad22.jpg

Hahahaha fucking why said:
Interviews were monitored at random by survey supervisors. All interviews in which an alleged DGU was reported by the R were validated by supervisors with call-backs, along with a 20% random sample of all other interviews. Of all eligible residential telephone numbers called where a person rather than an answering machine answered, 61% resulted in a completed interview. Interviewing was carried out from February through April of 1993.

Which results in pretty hilarious shit like this.

A near 50% deceit rate said:
Some of the earlier gun surveys asked the DGU question only of Rs who reported owning a gun. The cost of this limitation is evident from the first two rows of Table 4. Nearly 40% of the people reporting a DGU did not report personally owning a gun at the time of the interview. They either used someone else's gun, got rid of the gun since the DGU incident, or inaccurately denied personally owning a gun. About a quarter of the defenders reported that they did not even have a gun in their household at the time of the interview. Another possibility is that many gun owners were falsely denying their ownership of the "incriminating evidence" of their DGU.

That's a fucking absurd rate of self-reporting error. This is why telephone self-reporting studies don't work. This is exactly the same method that produced the 1-in-5 (which turned into 1-in-4) "women are raped on campus" number. Which, again, is patently fucking absurd.

Again, this didn't take me long to find. I'm just reading the shit this man is spewing. Oh, speaking of the author, I decided to look up his twitter account...

kOBHK4M.jpg

MhoaWcS.jpg

YsE9k2j.jpg

ZkHZvpg.jpg

JESUS FUCK!

This man is fucking mental. "Will Obama retire to Hawaii or seek political Asylum in Iran." "Who says a wall won't work? China made one."

#1: Obama's as Christian as it gets.
#2: You know how effective the great wall was at stopping the mongols? They fucking walked around it. The Great Wall was probably even less effective than the Maginot Line.

So to Conclude this shindig

I'm not your enemy. Hilariously enough, or perhaps sadly enough, I likely share more views with this man than I do most of his opponents. And, to give credit where it's due, not all the numbers he's citing are wrong. (Like the accidental injuries/deaths numbers aren't wrong.) However, that being said, he makes ludicrous assumptions, and when you look at his political views, he's as biased as it gets. If he leaned any further to the right, he would break his ankles. His arguments are based more on propaganda and cherrypicking of data that he likes than actual facts and reason. For fucks sake, one of the reports he cites is from 1979--That's 37 years ago! That data is completely irrelevant and does not take into account numerous different reasons for the rise in gun violence.

And I have wasted two hours of my life on this disappointing sack of shit. Now I'm going to go get myself some booze, and have some fun writing stuff. I mean, if you want to look up numbers and start drawing conclusions, try justice statistics. Violent crime has consistently been on the decrease. It gives you a whole boatfuckload of reasons why, none of which depend on faulty telephone self-reporting.

Oh, right, and if anyone wants to peer into the veil of propagandist madness, knock yourselves out. Some of the shit this guy says is fucking legendarily bad.

Brovo, always a fount of information. Thanks for starting this off with very good research. Both sides are equally capable of throwing things about, whether pro or anti-gun. What we really need is someone in the middle. Very hard to find that!

• Thank You
Reactions: Brovo
Brovo, always a fount of information. Thanks for starting this off with very good research. Both sides are equally capable of throwing things about, whether pro or anti-gun. What we really need is someone in the middle. Very hard to find that!
I try to be. If I had to pick a particular line of reasoning (though it's always bound to change the more I understand it)...
  • If any firearm is to be regulated, it should be handguns. They're concealable, and are by and far the highest of all firearms types to be involved in homicides, and I believe suicides too.
  • Efforts should be focused more toward the unregulated market. More specifically, where it makes a profit, and how to cut that profit off so it is no longer logical or feasible for the market to exist.
  • Causation of violence is primarily due to social factors. These need to be addressed as well.
  • Basic common sense things (like criminal background checks and mental history) should be run. It doesn't stop every case, but it at the very least forces certain "types" of people to go to the underground market. Whatever hurdles police officers need to tackle to earn the right to carry, the commoner should be held to the same level. (Conversely, if the police require less verification than the commoner, either lower the commoner's verification standards, or raise the police's verification standards. Police, ideally, should be commoners protecting commoners--not state sanctioned thugs.)
  • Concealed carry is a tough specific issue. However, I'd lean toward legalizing it, if simply because the majority of people who would use concealed carry would legitimately attempt to use it to protect themselves and not to harm others. (It'd be nice if there was more data on concealed carry. The majority of data on the subject matter is, again, telephone interviews. Grr. :\)
  • Treat firearms licences like you would licences for motor vehicles. More specialized or overtly deadly firearms require more specific training or qualifications. This should help ensure that collectors and enthusiasts can do their thing, whilst simultaneously allowing the government to recoup at least some of the costs of running any kind of gun control. (Even if it's as simple as "send guys in to check to see if private sellers are following the rules", that costs money, yo.)
  • Ensure there is a legal path to acquire most firearms. This will reduce the likelihood of people turning to the underground market in the first place, which means more firearms can be put on record and followed. Important for criminal investigations.
  • Reduce or eliminate prison sentences for minor crimes. (Ex: Possession of drugs.) If you reduce the penalties, people associated with these activities will be less likely to resort to more extreme measures (ex: buying a handgun from the unregulated market) to save themselves from said penalties.
  • Fight ghetto culture and reduce systemic poverty. Being poor does not automatically make you a criminal, but it does expose developing children and teenagers to more criminal elements--and that's just not a great idea for all sorts of reasons.
Beyond that? I can't really comment. The issue is extraordinarily complex and normally outside my radar.

EDIT

Oh yeah, and fix the mental health system in the US. Especially for Veterans. Holy shit it is an absolute disgrace.

Beyond that? I can't really comment. The issue is extraordinarily complex and normally outside my radar.

Same here... I'm not a scholar on the subject, just a casual hobbyist. I prefer to keep things simple. That things have gotten so complex just frustrates me.

EDIT

Oh yeah, and fix the mental health system in the US. Especially for Veterans. Holy shit it is an absolute disgrace.

It is, indeed.

I say we take the redneck's guns and give them medieval shit to wield instead. Make it like a real life Game of Thrones.

no fackin incest jokes.

Reactions: Mid
I say we take the redneck's guns and give them medieval shit to wield instead. Make it like a real life Game of Thrones.

no fackin incest jokes.
main-qimg-17111011c2705fe1f2834ea9b1c1d870

Also, on another informal/mildly-unrelated note, guns just make me uncomfortable in general. If someone lunges me with a knife, sure, I'm probably going to bite the dust either way, but at least there's a higher probability of making it out alive. If someone fires a damn gun at me tho, point blank range, it's not like I can whip out some matrix shit and evade the bullet. Unless you're @Razilin, of course.

Reactions: Razilin

no fackin incest jokes.
Most of them would fucking love wielding giant ass metal sticks of death I would imagine.

"HONEY, WHERE'D YOU PUT MY BASTARD!"
"Your son is outside."
"NO, MY DAMN SWORD!"

... I kind of want this, but at the same time, I don't.

• Love
Reactions: Greenie
Also, on another informal/mildly-unrelated note, guns just make me uncomfortable in general. If someone lunges me with a knife, sure, I'm probably going to bite the dust either way, but at least there's a higher probability of making it out alive. If someone fires a damn gun at me tho, point blank range, it's not like I can whip out some matrix shit and evade the bullet. Unless you're @Razilin, of course.

Oh I just shoot back

• Useful
Reactions: 1 person
I was happily reading these well written posts and then I saw that Great Wall tweet. I just...I can't.

I was happily reading these well written posts and then I saw that Great Wall tweet. I just...I can't.
That wasn't even his dumbest tweet. That was just one of the funnier ones. Trust me I sifted through that garbage dump of a twitter feed... There was... Oh man.

... I'm gonna go back to my booze, writing, and X-COM 2 now.

Reactions: Shiri
Most of them would fucking love wielding giant ass metal sticks of death I would imagine.

"HONEY, WHERE'D YOU PUT MY BASTARD!"
"Your son is outside."
"NO, MY DAMN SWORD!"

... I kind of want this, but at the same time, I don't.

I want both.

Chiappa-Rhino-357-right-side.jpg

Or...

Pietta-1858-44.jpg

Or...

wm_8290117.jpg

And...

weniron8.jpg

Or...

wyrm1.jpg

Or...

ursa7.jpg

Let me tell ya Roose, there is no downside to owning a kukri (second blade you posted). Wonderful tool, employed as standard equipment for the Gurkha special forces in India. Great for whacking and hacking, chopping that meat and clearing out thickly weed bushes.

As for guns, I'm heavily for them, an all around pro-gun individual. Hell, my Remington single barrel semi-automatic shotty is one of my favorite possessions. Legal firearm ownership is all about proper safety and responsibility, if you have a gun that isn't registered or lack a license, then it's fair to face reprehension. I don't see a problem with thorougher background checks or somewhat longer waiting periods; I do see a problem with barring certain individuals from owning them. I think violent felons and people with a history of violence or mental illness should not have access to guns. But there's a slippery slope to barring ownership when it comes to things like being on some kind of list for 'terrorism'. That's a vague definition legally, and what constitutes a terrorist could and can change, allowing the government to only allow supporters to own guns.

The whole point of our second amendment and gun ownership, recreation and hunting aside, is self defense not primarily against criminals. Rather, it is our last line of defense against a corrupt government. Just as our forefathers fought tooth and nail against a tyrannical government for their freedom, our right to bare arms ensures that should our government ever go down a similar path of tyranny, we may be able to rise up and reclaim our republic and our freedom through force, should change through peace be made impossible.

I'm just going to skip past all of it and say my 9mm has saved my life once. Didn't need to fire it, only needed to use it as a way to deter more violence.

Status
Not open for further replies.